The NHL should keep the Division-bubbles

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
If 3 or 4 Canadian teams were among the elite of the NHL, American fans would love this years setup going forward.

Oh wait, that'll never happen. LOL

Maye someone needs to study why Canadian teams suck and have sucked for so long.
Start by asking those Canadian players refusing to play for Canadian teams.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I am a Canadian, and even I don't want a Canadian team to be guaranteed a Final 4 berth every year.

Because whether people like it or not, Canadian NHL teams often lack quality compared to many American teams.

It makes sense, since a lot of American cities offer more attractive weather, better tax circumstances, and a lot of other benefits not found in Canada.

There is a reason a Canadian team hasn't won a Stanley Cup in 28 years, even though statistical probability indicates that they should have a 22.5% chance in any given year (7 teams out of 31 teams; higher than 22.5% before various league expansions during the last 28 years).

By granting a Canadian team an automatic Final 4 berth, you dilute the quality of the Final 4 more often than not, and cause some better teams to be eliminated earlier than they should be.

Reactions: Blowfish

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I am a Canadian, and even I don't want a Canadian team to be guaranteed a Final 4 berth every year.

Because whether people like it or not, Canadian NHL teams often lack quality compared to many American teams.

It makes sense, since a lot of American cities offer more attractive weather, better tax circumstances, and a lot of other benefits not found in Canada.

There is a reason a Canadian team hasn't won a Stanley Cup in 28 years, even though statistical probability indicates that they should have a 22.5% chance in any given year (7 teams out of 31 teams; higher than 22.5% before various league expansions during the last 28 years).

By granting a Canadian team an automatic Final 4 berth, you dilute the quality of the Final 4 more often than not, and cause some better teams to be eliminated earlier than they should be.
I don't want to go off topic too much but what are these "and a lot of other benefits not found in Canada."
I'll agree with the weather and taxes but can't think of any significant other ones.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I don't want to go off topic too much but what are these "and a lot of other benefits not found in Canada."
I'll agree with the weather and taxes but can't think of any significant other ones.
Many American cities present more marketing opportunities and more affordable cost-of-living.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The North division is garbage and it's a nonsensical idea to keep it going forward.

You're basically arguing the North division is good because it benefits Canadian teams by giving one of them a free ride to the conference finals, when they're not good enough to actually do that in normal divisions. The idea that Canadian teams deserve at least 1 team in the conference finals is asinine.

I agree that we shouldn't keep this format, but it's not like Canadian teams are going to be bad forever. Every division will have up and down years.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
I agree that we shouldn't keep this format, but it's not like Canadian teams are going to be bad forever. Every division will have up and down years.
COUGH COUGH the pacific.

Seriously it's a joke. If Boston was in the north no one would dare suggest it was an easy division.

If this were the case the habs wouldn't of qualified, the bruins-leafs would get in like any other year.

Edmonton would of been 2ND!!!!!!! IN THE PACIFC!!!!

At that point are we pretending Winnipeg wouldn't be 8th/15 in the west? Are people really making this kind of thing up?

The North was gifted because it was obviously the smallest division.

Seriously it's also as if people believe the league has structured itself in a way so that Canadian teams will suck. As if Canadian teams will always suck. Which is ironic because they're complaining a canadian division would create a tilted ice, when that's exactly what they're implying when they say canadian teams will always suck.

Reactions: jetsforever

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021

Yes "28 years" because if you extended that number any further back people would laugh.

The 22.5 chance didn't exist until just a few years ago. The cap didn't even out over night it took time for drafting etc to work its way out.

And what part of quality includes a matchup people actually want to see?

People want to watch playoff matchups that are relevant to their division.

If this weren't the case the league wouldn't of worked so hard to bring teams out west.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Many American cities present more marketing opportunities and more affordable cost-of-living.
Don't agree with the marketing opportunities and players get paid in American funds. That alone would make up for any perceived cost of living difference.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You want your Habs to keep this North Division bubble. I wonder why.

leafs fans too. Rumours said “Canadian teams want to keep the same division”. Fake news. Dump this garbage. I honestly can’t wait till this goes back to the old format.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I can count the regular season games I watched on two hands. It would be even less it was another year of this.
Probably had more to do with the Flames than the format. I understand the NHL holds amateur hour basically weekly but if you're a diehard that posts on HFboards odds are you're going to watch if your team is good. Unless you literally can't because of other responsibilities which has nothing to do with the NHL but is understandable.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Probably had more to do with the Flames than the format. I understand the NHL holds amateur hour basically weekly but if you're a diehard that posts on HFboards odds are you're going to watch if your team is good. Unless you literally can't because of other responsibilities which has nothing to do with the NHL but is understandable.
Nah the game just isn't enjoyable under the bubble conferences. Interconference is sorely missed.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i wouldnt mind it..but i would switch it up a bit..more like the nfl...play your division..than every team from another division..but either way it doesn't much matter..just play!!!!

this also could, if they felt like it, give them an opportunity to realign things

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Not a fan of the restricted divisions, but I do like the idea of two game series in the same location, would simplify/reduce travel, especially for western conference teams. For Nashville the long west coast trips would be more efficient. To knock out btb's with Seattle and Vancouver, being able to play 4 consecutive games in close proximity would at least mirror lots of Eastern conference travel distances.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not a fan of the restricted divisions, but I do like the idea of two game series in the same location, would simplify/reduce travel, especially for western conference teams. For Nashville the long west coast trips would be more efficient. To knock out btb's with Seattle and Vancouver, being able to play 4 consecutive games in close proximity would at least mirror lots of Eastern conference travel distances.

I think the NHLPA poll basically echoed this. They hated the division format but they loved the series format.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Again thinking about the Preds having an 8 game road trip for Seattle, Vancouver. Edmonton & Calgary; another one for San Jose, LA, Anaheim & Vegas would be so much more efficient.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
OP's proposal is probably one of the worst I've seen on this forum, and I've seen some doozies over the years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
People want to watch playoff matchups that are relevant to their division.

Eh? I only want to see the other teams in the same division as 'my' team fail as loudly and quickly as possible, regardless if my team is in or out.

Playoff time is when I'm paying the closest attention to the other conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad