The NHL Needs to Remove Video Review

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It is actually mind blowing that none of you can see why this is correctly called onside. Yes, the Carolina player brings it back into the zone, but he never actually touches the puck inside the zone when he brings it back in. You're allowed to bring a puck back in on a delayed offside if you do not touch the puck inside the zone which as you can clearly see he does not. Before his right skate re-enters the zone, and before he touches the puck again inside the zone, the guy who is offside touches up and both players can be seen with their skate touching or on the outside of the blue line which now becomes an onside play.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I think it was right call, agree with Burke. It was tagged up before it was played.

And I only logged on after months to post how big of a missed call it was, so I've had a complete 180. Don't know why Sportsnet was saying the official reasoning was the Flames played it, but I assume that's not correct or just happened to be two wrongs making a right.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It is actually mind blowing that none of you can see why this is correctly called onside. Yes, the Carolina player brings it back into the zone, but he never actually touches the puck inside the zone when he brings it back in. You're allowed to bring a puck back in on a delayed offside if you do not touch the puck inside the zone which as you can clearly see he does not. Before his right skate re-enters the zone, and before he touches the puck again inside the zone, the guy who is offside touches up and both players can be seen with their skate touching or on the outside of the blue line which now becomes an onside play.

Exactly. Gauthier dumps it in. McGinn tags up. McGinn was offside when Gauthier dumped it in, but tagged up before Gauthier played the puck in the ozone.

Limp Dekes

Jun 27, 2019
The view from the blue line cam looked like both Cane players tagged up, to me.

edit: at first I thought I might be wrong since no one else was seeing the tag up, but it's 100% clear now that the Cane's players tagged up and it was onside. Flames fans need to stop embarrassing themselves and open their eyes. A clear moment when fans (in general) call the reffing pure trash, when in fact they are the ones who are completely clueless.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Exactly. Gauthier dumps it in. McGinn tags up. McGinn was offside when Gauthier dumped it in, but tagged up before Gauthier played the puck in the ozone.
Hilarious how no one could see this including the homer broadcast crew. Cassie Campbell sounded like a blabbering moron going on and on about it when she was so obviously wrong the entire time.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary

After watching the full replay, this appears to be the case. But what I didn’t see in the replays is if Gauthier lifts his skate off the ice before McGinn tags up, then that would technically be offside.

The refs didn’t even bother to look into that though. Their explanation was that a Flames player brought the puck back in which in itself is dead wrong and thus, they should still be subject to criticism.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If you were watching the sportsnet broadcast they showed an obvious slow motion frame of the play being onside during the coaches challenge. I'd advise muting your television so you're not influenced by two terrible broadcasters.

It absolutely looked offside on the initial replay, but I watched it again in slow-mo and yeah its not offside.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
After watching the full replay, this appears to be the case. But what I didn’t see in the replays is if Gauthier lifts his skate off the ice before McGinn tags up, then that would technically be offside.

The refs didn’t even bother to look into that though. Their explanation was that a Flames player brought the puck back in which in itself is dead wrong and thus, they should still be subject to criticism.
There was pretty clear replay imo of the skate being down on the ice during the replay of the coaches challenge. In any case, hopefully they remove the skate on the ice rule this summer because it is such a terrible rule to begin with. If the skate's over the line it should be considered onside even if it's not on the ice, imo.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It absolutely looked offside on the initial replay, but I watched it again in slow-mo and yeah its not offside.
Maybe the initial replay, but they showed a slo-motion replay while the coaches challenge was happening that showed it was clearly offside. I'm not sure if the Flames broadcast crew wasn't watching or if they just chose to ignore it, but the evidence was clearly there and @Del Preston clearly pointed it out at the time what many should have seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad