Predict who will the Canes Draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Joni was one of my favorite players. He was our best defender, and as such, was on the ice for a lot of goals against because he was tasked with stopping the opposing best lines. Most nights, he was great at doing that, but there are only so many times you can stop legitimate superstars in this league, which is why I just shake my head when people complain about Slavin and Hamilton at times. Like, yeah, they're excellent players going against the best in the league nightly. Sometimes the opposing players are just going to make a play, it happens.

With that said, one of the few games I caught in a 5 year span was the night that Pitkanen went into the board. I can still hear that snap from the rafters.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Joni did next to nothing in the Aho selection, there is an article who tell the story of his scouting. The man is Kron and btw in 2013/2014 they already were scouting him.

I remember reading something along those lines as well.

EDIT: Here is one article on it.

Scouting Sebastian Aho

MacDonald tracked Aho quite a bit in the 2014-15 season. So did Sheldon Ferguson. But it was the Czech-born Kron who was able to provide context to Aho's performances.
"We really had a good feel for him as a player," MacDonald said. "Robert has a better feel for the European players in the sense that he understands the culture and background that they come from, the way they approach the game, think the game and play the game."

As picks began coming off the board, the Canes made a call to finalize their pick. Kron lobbied for Aho. The war room had no qualms.

What's funny is that the article Mike Smith (who wrote it) says central scouting had Aho at 13 among European skaters. It actually had the Swedish Aho at 13 and the Finnish Aho at 18 that year.

2015 NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings: International Skaters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad