The next Doug Gilmour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I read a comparison in my THN Yearbook comparing Flyers centreman prospect Mike Richards to another Doug Gilmour. Anyone think this is possibly the closest comparison we've seen in a little while to the man known as 'Killer'?

If Richards can continue to impress with his scoring attributes, and perhaps well, 'overacheive' compared to his scoring expectations, I could see it. So gritty, so clever, Richards is the kind of player you can tell that Don Cherry will have a love-fest with every night on Hockey Night in Canada, so that's at least half-way to Doug Gilmour territory! ;)

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Okay, but he plays with another K-Town in Ottawa, Kitchener!

I don't think Richards is a lot bigger. Dougie was only 5'9 or so, but I doubt Richards is more than two inches bigger than that.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
The next Doug Gilmour will be under 6 feet, guaranteed. If not, then the player's not really the next Doug Gilmour, because many 6 foot players play like that.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Dark Phoenix said:
The next Doug Gilmour will be under 6 feet, guaranteed. If not, then the player's not really the next Doug Gilmour, because many 6 foot players play like that.

Not many players at Gilmour's heart though. :yo:

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Douggy said:
A candidate could be Corey Locke. He has the size and skill, but I don't think he hits like Dougie.

I'd like to hear some european candidates too! :eek:

i agree with you on the david bolland comparison, i've watched him play alot the last few years and this kid has the heart and determination of a warrior. he is small but highly skilled and can be aggresive. in the playoffs of his rookie year he was a tough SOB hitting everything in sight, then last year as a go to go he notched 37 goals. so he has a variety in his game, hopefully he can do both at the nhl level in 2-3 years.

corey locke has more skill and goal scoring ability but is slow and not as tenacious or aggresive as bolland. his lack of speed may keep him out of the nhl all together.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
How about Zach Parise? A little bigger than Dougie, but still under 5'11. Incredible scoring prowess, very intelligent, and the heart of a lion.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Jay Thompson said:
How about Zach Parise? A little bigger than Dougie, but still under 5'11. Incredible scoring prowess, very intelligent, and the heart of a lion.

Yeah, but he doesn't have that nasty edge.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Put me down for there won't be another Doug Gilmour. The guy was truley an outstanding player and I'd be shocked if any player puts up the points he did while being overlooked based on size, yet being one of the tougher skilled players in the league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MissionHockey said:
I heard a lot of people compare Scott Gomez to Doug Gilmore...

They don't play the same game, Gilmour was fiesty and on the dirty side. Gomez doesn't come close to that kind of game imo.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Next Doug Gilmour. Let's see small player who's a great skater, traded early in his career, won the Stanley Cup, late draft pick, arguably one of the top 3 or 4 players in the NHL at one point.

Does Martin St. Louis ring a bell for anyone? Heck they were both even played for Calgary at one point. I don't suppose that Tampa would like to make a trade with Toronto:)(worth a try).

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
p.s. If I had to pick the next Martin St. Louis I put my money on Justin Papineau NYI. He could break out into a 30-40pt. player in the NHL in a year or two then just keep on getting better.

I'd say he's about 4 to 1 against but better odds than I'd give anyone else.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
West said:
p.s. If I had to pick the next Martin St. Louis I put my money on Justin Papineau NYI. He could break out into a 30-40pt. player in the NHL in a year or two then just keep on getting better.

I'd say he's about 4 to 1 against but better odds than I'd give anyone else.

Papineau would be an interesting choice. I got into an arguement w/ his girlfriend at a game against the London Knights in 1999. He was one of the best players in the league that year so i'm not surprised if does become a good NHL player but not St.Louis or Gilmour status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad