The Next "big" Thing?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Apparently lots of NHl teams are sending scouts too observe MAGNUS HELLBERG the big 6'5 185 19 yr old goalie for AIMTUNA (Allsvekan league) ..he turns 20 in April..though bypassed in the 2009and 2010 drafts,he has benshining in net for quite awhile now:

2009/10 22GP 1.97 GAA .929 sv% AIMTUNA J-20

2010/11 18GP 2.08 GAA .931 sv% AIMTUNA (Allsvenskan)
3GP 2.01 GAA .938 sv% IFK KUMLA (loan)
(these are to date--obviously NHL teams wil watch him the rest of the
way)..

Recall that AIMTUNA had Frederik Pettersson-Wentzel drafted by ATL last draft -though he went in a later round than many had pegged him to be selected ..

Given his age and the very god crop of younger 1st time draft eligible goalies this draft (2011) it is unlikely an NHL team will risk on the BIG Hellberg in round one-though stranger things have happened--BUT he might be a round 2 candidate even though this looks ike a deep goalie draft of first-timers.... The eason I say this is because by-pased eurogoalies who made it to free agency andthen came over and signed (EDDIE LACK with VAN;JUSSI RYNNAS with TOR ) are having great success already in the AHL --NHL teams may be willing not to wait to let good goalie prospects get to freeagency and instea may take anolder goalie in his last draft eligible year to head off competitor teams at the pass before risking the guy gets to free agency next year.

ALSO the success of BIG euro goalies ---RINNE,LINDBACK --meas that if you are a BIG eurogoalie with stellar save % --you are on the radar now-no matter if you are a bit older..

ANYWAY -keep this guy in mind---MAGNUS HELLBERG ....

cooper7d7

Jul 27, 2005
CT
I have not looked at Lack, Lindback, Lehrer or anybody, but 185 does not sound big to me, especially at 6'5", please correct me if Im wrong.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
This draft is pretty weak in terms of netminders, so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of teams scouted a relatively unknown player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad