The Next 8 - Make or Break Time?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The next 8 games to me are critical. (Nod to DSL).

Washington (2x) one away)
Pitt
Detroit (away)
Chi
Nashville
Boston
Minnesota

On paper, which so far as been useless as a tool, those are 8 games ranging from tough to really tough. If we hadn't regained some momentum with this 4 game winning streak I think the season would very likely have been over when this stretch was through. Now I'm not so sure.

I could see the Jackets going on an 8 game losing streak based on the opposition but that isn't very likely. Bob is playing better (excluding the squeaker that got through last night), Dubi is back, the whole team seems more engaged, 6 of the 8 are at home, no back to backs so Bob should be able to play them all.

Because my predictions are usually totally off base I'll say the Jackets go 3-4-1. Not great but at least I think it would allow us to stay within striking distance of third place assuming neither the Rangers or Caps go crazy. One of those three predicted wins needs to be against the Caps.

January's schedule looks easier based on who we play but with 9 of 13 on the road that makes it a bit more difficult.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I read the thread title and came in to post only that the games are...

And you'd already done it. The homage is appreciated. I have nothing (as usual) to add.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i figure on 4 wins there in that group..4-3-1 would be great for us...a beaten up Pitt team, a mediocre Washington, a Detroit team we are better than (when healthy, like now), and maybe a surprise win over a Minny or Boston...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
i figure on 4 wins there in that group..4-3-1 would be great for us...a beaten up Pitt team, a mediocre Washington, a Detroit team we are better than (when healthy, like now), and maybe a surprise win over a Minny or Boston...

We definitely were better last year. This year they are playing well. 39 pts in 28 games.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Most of our division games are in the second half of the schedule, so if there was a time to be injured, it was in the first half of the season. With that said they're really gonna have to go on a a few winning streaks to make it. Don't see it being easy, but it's not impossible. But every division game is critical from here on out. Gotta make up as much room as possible.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Definitely not an easy stretch - just have to keep the momentum going.

I'll be at the Chicago game and more than likely the Boston as well.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
I'm already down for ten wins in December. We just need six of the next eight. I'll think about next year, next year.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I'd be thrilled with 5 wins here. You find a way to get 6, you're really talking about being back in the playoff race. My gut tells me lots of tough games though and probably 4 wins. Wins will come against Washington (1/2), Nashville, Boston, Minnesota if I were to bet.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
I can see us winning both games against the Caps. We were missing Bob and Dubinsky in the loss to them last month, and still put up a good fight.
The Detroit game is winnable ( **** you Wings ). As is the Pens game. The Pens game is on Saturday, which is the 2nd half of a back-to-back for them ( they play at home vs the Flames on Friday ).
I think a surprise win against the Bruins is possible, but probably another blown 3rd period and OT loss.
I think we can beat the Preds in our building.
As always, the Hawks will destroy us.
Minny is winnable. We always play pretty well against them, and the games are always close ( besides that 4-0 whoop-ass we layed on them last season ;) )

So, with all that said - 6-1-1
Back to .500 for the start of the new year :yo:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The next 8 games to me are critical. (Nod to DSL).

Washington (2x) one away)
Pitt
Detroit (away)
Chi
Nashville
Boston
Minnesota

On paper, which so far as been useless as a tool, those are 8 games ranging from tough to really tough. If we hadn't regained some momentum with this 4 game winning streak I think the season would very likely have been over when this stretch was through. Now I'm not so sure.

I could see the Jackets going on an 8 game losing streak based on the opposition but that isn't very likely. Bob is playing better (excluding the squeaker that got through last night), Dubi is back, the whole team seems more engaged, 6 of the 8 are at home, no back to backs so Bob should be able to play them all.

Because my predictions are usually totally off base I'll say the Jackets go 3-4-1. Not great but at least I think it would allow us to stay within striking distance of third place assuming neither the Rangers or Caps go crazy. One of those three predicted wins needs to be against the Caps.

January's schedule looks easier based on who we play but with 9 of 13 on the road that makes it a bit more difficult.

If we some how close out the first half of the season 8-3-3 we pull back to .500 and sit on the bubble at the mid point.

Most importantly, win those 2 games vs the Caps.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sitting at .500 at the midpoint would be beyond huge. It's basically the best case scenario we expected at the beginning of the season in light of the injuries.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
This Penguins game is the I was worried about the most - but with Sid out and them possibly starting their backup goalie we SHOULD be able to beat them.

That said, if we shoot ourselves in the foot with as many penalties as the Capitals game this just might be the streak ender.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This Penguins game is the I was worried about the most - but with Sid out and them possibly starting their backup goalie we SHOULD be able to beat them.

That said, if we shoot ourselves in the foot with as many penalties as the Capitals game this just might be the streak ender.

How is Fleury considered harder to play against than Thomas Greiss? They have similar numbers this year and one of these goalies is on record as crumbling against us in a recent playoff series.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
How is Fleury considered harder to play against than Thomas Greiss? They have similar numbers this year and one of these goalies is on record as crumbling against us in a recent playoff series.

You are overplaying Fleury choking a time or two - Overall, Fleury is the better goalie and we both know that. Plain and simple.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
2 games into the make or break 8 the Jackets are 2-0-0 meaning my as usual lousy prediction (3-4-1) appears to be on its way to being way off base but still possible.

Washington W
Pitt W
Detroit (away)
Washington
Chi
Nashville
Boston
Minnesota

Going back to the beginning of the 6 game winning streak the following are the good:

Bob - the main reason imo the streak is 6
Team aggresiveness - it appears to be coming back
Boone Jenner
Kevin Connauton - 2 very timely goals
the return of Dubi - seems to have upped the energy level

the bad (or at least worrisome)-

5 on 5 offense - still very weak
Where has Joey the point scorer gone? 0 G's, 2 A's last 6 games
Can Bob play the next 53 without a break?
No empty netters
Nothing on the board from the bottom 3

Next 6 games still look tough to me on paper with the exception of Minnesota. I'd take 3-2-1 right now and be happy.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The Good: We're playing some damn good hockey and Bob is back to being Bob. Its time to give the C to Dubi IMO

The Bad: Buffalo is almost just as hot and we just gave points to conference foes the last 3 games. Got to find a way to win these in regulation

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Good: We're playing some damn good hockey and Bob is back to being Bob. Its time to give the C to Dubi IMO

The Bad: Buffalo is almost just as hot and we just gave points to conference foes the last 3 games. Got to find a way to win these in regulation

Forget conference, they were all in the division. But none were to the 3 tied for the WC position right now (FLA, NYR, and BOS).

Don't think it's that big of a deal. Just the fact that the team is getting 2 points each night after the 9 game winless streak...I'm not at the point of caring about the 3 point games just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad