The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
After reading the TSN article I would put it at 0% that the CBJ can resign Panarin. He is officially on the Carter, Foote list for me.

They need to unload him for whatever they can get and make a run at another player.

Foote demanded out of town (to only Colorado) or a gross contract extension and threatened to be a bad teammate and captain if he didn't get either.

Carter told Howson not to trade for him, and when he did went into hiding that required a convoy of management and Rick Nash to get him to talk. He then dogged it or gave the bare minimum to look respectable until he was traded.

Panarin played his hardest for a full season before being transparent on his unwillingness to sign. Sure, he's loved his name in headlines and has played it up, but has shown (to this point) no willingness to put himself first or dog it.

Far too early to lump him in with Carter and especially Foote. Check back when the season starts and we go through adversity though.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Foote demanded out of town (to only Colorado) or a gross contract extension and threatened to be a bad teammate and captain if he didn't get either.

Carter told Howson not to trade for him, and when he did went into hiding that required a convoy of management and Rick Nash to get him to talk. He then dogged it or gave the bare minimum to look respectable until he was traded.

Panarin played his hardest for a full season before being transparent on his unwillingness to sign. Sure, he's loved his name in headlines and has played it up, but has shown (to this point) no willingness to put himself first or dog it.

Far too early to lump him in with Carter and especially Foote. Check back when the season starts and we go through adversity though.
The person I'm more worried about being a bad teammate at this point is Bob, but even then I'm not really concerned.

Bob's interviews show straight up antipathy for management questioning that he's worth what he and his agent think he's worth. I still think he's going to play his butt off this year, walk, and try to buy a second house for all the millions he's going to get PAID July 1.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The person I'm more worried about being a bad teammate at this point is Bob, but even then I'm not really concerned.

Bob's interviews show straight up antipathy for management questioning that he's worth what he and his agent think he's worth. I still think he's going to play his butt off this year, walk, and try to buy a second house for all the millions he's going to get PAID July 1.

I'm not really worried about either of them. I think Bob's anger goes towards management, not Torts or the players, so I think he'll play for them rather than try to stick it to management.

I just think separation of both players is inevitable. Panarin via trade, and Bob likely via UFA.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just want to let everyone know when we traded Saad for Panarin I said we lost the trade (and got flamed for it).

I called Panarin not wanting to sign here and we all should have seen that coming.

Yeah so you can all eat crow. I win. U mad bro???
Is it really a loss when Saad played like he did last season for a similar contract? I’d call it a draw right now and still lean towards a CBJ win if Saad continues to be a bust back in Chicago.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Btw, I have a feeling this will be a league wide trend they may look at in the next CBA. We can call it the Tavares clause since players clearly don’t seem to care about the extra year the “home” team can offer. I think we’ll see more and more players foregoing the extra length to be able to make the choice to go to a more desirable market.

I could be wrong but I think less and less players are going to be willing to sign long term in smaller market teams.

Reactions: CPTN71

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Btw, I have a feeling this will be a league wide trend they may look at in the next CBA. We can call it the Tavares clause since players clearly don’t seem to care about the extra year the “home” team can offer. I think we’ll see more and more players foregoing the extra length to be able to make the choice to go to a more desirable market.

I could be wrong but I think less and less players are going to be willing to sign long term in smaller market teams.

Bingo. It’s feeling more and more like the pre-salary cap NHL. Big players going to bigger markets.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I said "first line" and I meant it. We have a ton of "top 6 forwards".

Really? I think we have 4 legitimate top 6 guys (Bread, PLD,CAM,Wennberg) then a bunch who can fill the last two because someone has to.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Nothing has changed for me. Panarin and Bob have incentive to have big years because if they take a step back this year, it could affect their big pay-day next summer.

Keep them and see where we are in the standings mid-season. People get so antsy about players in the last year of their contract and then when they get traded for magic beans like Karlsson and Skinner did because they are destined for free agency next year, the same people will complain about the return.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm inclined to believe the latter - partly because that's what he keeps saying (and he's not dropping any of the other usual "GET ME THE HELL OUT OF HERE" type hints), partly because I'm hoping for the best for my team. ;)

I think it's neither "get me the hell out of here" nor "I can't make up my mind right now". It's "I'm almost certainly leaving but let's win some games together and put on a show while I'm under contract".

Reactions: cbjlurker

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What I'm hearing you say is Anders Lee or Jordan Eberle and Kieffer Bellows are available.

I'm certainly intrigued.

I have no interest in Eberle. He's a passenger. A little in Bellows. More in Anders Lee. Lee + might work. You'd think Jarmo would talk to Lee's camp first though, see if they can get a deal.

What's a fair return for Panarin for CBJ as a rental?

See above. I don't think renting him to the Isles makes sense though. If the Jackets can't sign him then put Lou on the phone with Artemi's camp and see if we can work out a sign-and-trade. The Isles would have to pay at least Beauvillier in that case. But renting him doesn't make sense, the Jackets are likely ahead in the standings, their own-rental price will be higher than the Isles'.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The downside to waiting on a trade is that once the season starts, contending teams that may want Panarin are going to be less likely to part with guys who are currently contributing to the team. So if your fear is the proverbial "futures/magic beans" return, I think that's a more likely result once the season is rolling. Could be different if there are suitors that aren't current contenders, who may be willing to part with guys in the league now. But if you want a young guy (or guys) playing in the NHL now, I think you need to do it sooner rather than later.

If you're trading him.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I have no interest in Eberle. He's a passenger. A little in Bellows. More in Anders Lee. Lee + might work. You'd think Jarmo would talk to Lee's camp first though, see if they can get a deal.

See above. I don't think renting him to the Isles makes sense though. If the Jackets can't sign him then put Lou on the phone with Artemi's camp and see if we can work out a sign-and-trade. The Isles would have to pay at least Beauvillier in that case. But renting him doesn't make sense, the Jackets are likely ahead in the standings, their own-rental price will be higher than the Isles'.

I'd gladly accept Anders Lee in return assuming he's more open to do a long term deal with us. Guessing if the Islanders did somehow make him available that any + with him would be rather small unless Panarin is willing to do a S&T in return.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nothing has changed for me. Panarin and Bob have incentive to have big years because if they take a step back this year, it could affect their big pay-day next summer.

Keep them and see where we are in the standings mid-season. People get so antsy about players in the last year of their contract and then when they get traded for magic beans like Karlsson and Skinner did because they are destined for free agency next year, the same people will complain about the return.
Exactly.

Panarin isn't going to agree to a sign and trade. So we're stuck with either the one year of him or its value equivalent (aka rental) in trade assets. Neither are going to be more valuable than the other on paper.

The smart thing to do is what the front office is currently doing - keep him and try to change his mind. That's the only way the Jackets come out of this with anything of value. And honestly, I can't blame Jarmo for calling Panarin's bluff. The team is competitive, you're a star player on it, they're willing to pay you whatever you want, you like your teammates and coaches, and you don't think it's the worst place to live...

Sure you could go to New York City but both teams suck. Maybe you care more about lifestyle than actually winning, but I don't think that's the case. So I'm calling your bluff.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If they intend to hit the UFA market we can be sure that they will play their butts off to raise their value. So that shouldn’t be an issue

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
After reading the TSN article I would put it at 0% that the CBJ can resign Panarin. He is officially on the Carter, Foote list for me.

They need to unload him for whatever they can get and make a run at another player.
Foote chose to sign here from the get-go. Carter and Bread didn’t.

Having said that Jeff Carter is a cock-juggling thundercunt.

Bread isn’t in the either Foote or Carter category for me. I’ll just be super disappointed if we lose him but he’s been pretty transparent about this situation.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Even if he walks, Saad's utter lack of performance dictates that we did not lose that trade. You're reaching.
No, even if Panarin walks we still won that trade, I have no problem with Saad not being on this team any longer. I'll take the 2 years of Panarin over Saad for 10 years.

Such bs, stop trying to make it seem like we somehow won or didn’t lose.

At the end of the day we lost Anisimov, Dano, and Saad for a 1-2 years of Panarin.

Also Saad was great here, Chicago was trash last year.. who’s reaching?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad