OT: The New Sidebar (FAQ and Feedback)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Look - this is a forum that you all have the right to use FOR FREE. None of us have any right to argue about the design or beg for changes - this is not your job (even though some put in more than 40 hrs a week). The admin will do as he pleases regardless of whether or not you like it and that's his right. No one should be complaining unless they want their account removed and frankly he'd be well within his rights.

Quite the contrary. As users of the site, we're all free to our opinion. Doesn't mean there can or necessarily will be changes, but HF has never been and never will be about censorship for the sake of it.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Yeah. Anyone who objects to that hideous anachronism of a sidebar, step right up and let it be known. It's ok.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look - this is a forum that you all have the right to use FOR FREE. None of us have any right to argue about the design or beg for changes - this is not your job (even though some put in more than 40 hrs a week). The admin will do as he pleases regardless of whether or not you like it and that's his right. No one should be complaining unless they want their account removed and frankly he'd be well within his rights.

The site exists to make money; having sidebars that cause everyone to complain will only lead to more people using certain browser extensions that block or remove such annoyances along with the ads that create the bulk of the revenue for this site. I think voicing concerns, asking for changes that make the site more visitor friendly only improves the chances that the site becomes more popular thus producing more revenue.

Banning your clientele because you screwed up the product is a good way to go out of business imo.

I am so banned... if you don't see me post for a while call for help

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah. Anyone who objects to that hideous anachronism of a sidebar, step right up and let it be known. It's ok.

its-a-trap.jpg

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

:laugh: No trap. I should add that the criticism should be of a constructive nature however, whenever possible.

I get the idea here: cross pollination of two related entities. I can support that, encourage it even. Like this though? Could be less of an intrusive eyesore. As users here we should be able to have some say in the interface. At least be able to voice our frustration.

So yeah, if people feel very strongly against it, if they don't mind it, or if they just want to recommend some tweeks that would enhance their experience, this would be the thread to express it. So express away.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I just realized that the hf in hf boards stands for Hockeys Future. My god am i an idiot. :laugh:

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It takes up about 40% of the screen when viewed on an iPad. Probably not what is intended and makes the site very hard to read.

Yes. I don't like it at all. Takes up a third of my screen and squeezes everything else together.

Please give us the option to close it.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I posted this elsewhere on HF before I knew we had a sticky on the Sens board:

There are valid reasons other than aesthetics for wanting to limit clutter on frequently visited sites.

My near sight is very poor and I need all the desktop real estate to enlarge the fonts to fit the max width of the screen with my browser. The sidebar eats up 1/3 of the screen and makes it very hard for me.

I need a way to remove it completely and not just blank the area using a browser add-on while still losing 1/3 of the screen width.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

There are valid reasons other than aesthetics for wanting to limit clutter on frequently visited sites.

My near sight is very poor and I need all the desktop real estate to enlarge the fonts to fit the max width of the screen with my browser. The sidebar eats up 1/3 of the screen and makes it very hard for me.

I need a way to remove it completely and not just blank the area using a browser add-on while still losing 1/3 of the screen width.
It not really a great fix, because you lose some stuff, but if you really need the large font to read, use the mobile site, even on your desktop. It'll help.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It not really a great fix, because you lose some stuff, but if you really need the large font to read, use the mobile site, even on your desktop. It'll help.

Yeah the 'Trades and Fantasy GM Proposals' board becomes unreadable without Prefixes. That and the collapse and spoiler tags are broken - so avoid TV/Movie threads.

But otherwise I don't mind the mobile version..

pale

Jul 14, 2007

I use the mobile format all the time so i don't see the side bar or users' avatars ... Very clean interface that way.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
This is an incredibly haphazard addition. It's like someone just squeezed it in their.

Its not even the bar that annoys me. Its that everything isn't centered anymore.

This is true. Even more apparent when you delete it and see the format of the boards section on its own:

gWGDD2w.png

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Just from a perspective of what it's trying to accomplish - if it's trying to get me to click on something or go somewhere else then it has no chance of doing so because something that invasive and visually distracting I will just do my best to ignore. I would venture that I am not alone in this. There may even be things that interest me there. Like I say though, I will never find out. It wasn't until I read this thread that I got some idea of what it's actually all about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad