The New Scoreboard

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Islanders new arena was built for B-Ball so the scoreboard is centered for B-Ball games but since they have to retract part of the seating to fit a hockey rink the scoreboard is actually offset for hockey.

a_560x375.jpg

Yeah that's just one of the numerous problems I was talking about when I said that the Islanders don't even get an arena that took any kind of consideration for hockey in mind when it was built.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Exactly. Well, its only a 25 year lease. Nbd.

I have to imagine they have some exit conditions for that lease that let them get out of it should better accommodations become available.

If they're just plain locked in that would be one of the dumbest things you could do for your franchise. Lock yourself into a building like that? About the only reason to move into a building like that is to get out of veterans memorial coliseum.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I have to imagine they have some exit conditions for that lease that let them get out of it should better accommodations become available.

If they're just plain locked in that would be one of the dumbest things you could do for your franchise. Lock yourself into a building like that? About the only reason to move into a building like that is to get out of veterans memorial coliseum.

You remember that thing about how you said the dumbest thing would be to lock yourself in. Well, thats exactly what happened. Iron-clad agreement, as described by both sides. So, yes, they did exactly you would think the Islanders would, the dumbest thing imaginable.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You remember that thing about how you said the dumbest thing would be to lock yourself in. Well, thats exactly what happened. Iron-clad agreement, as described by both sides. So, yes, they did exactly you would think the Islanders would, the dumbest thing imaginable.

I feel bad for their new owner.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's in keeping with the Isles' tradition of having something off-center at the blue line that everyone else has at center. At Nassau Colosseum, it's the broadcast camera angle centered at the blue line. Now at Barclay's, it's the scoreboard centered at the blue line.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Forgot to add these from the game against the Blues. Looking forward to seeing all the new displays come together tomorrow night.

WildScoreboard1_zps744c32d8.png

WildScoreboard2_zps3b7fe497.png

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Posted this in the GDT, but wanted to put it here too since it was the full debut of the new scoreboard and other video/light boards around the arena.

Took nearly 4 hours to upload the video, but here is the light show from last night. It's a bit shaky at first, but it does get better. I only stopped recording briefly, but you can't really tell where the break in the video is. I suggest viewing it on full screen to see just how bright it really got in there. Although I must admit that the quality seems a bit poor after uploading it, but it's crystal clear on the S5. :shakehead The video they played on the scoreboard doesn't show up as well simply because it was so bright.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You stopped recording a bit early didn't you? Your recording skips a bit of the Close Encounter's "tones" before the beafed up Close Encounter's response tones. ;)

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
God damn. That place is gonna be the worlds biggest and most awesome dance party once we finally bring home a Cup.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
BTW - for those unaware... the Wild are hosting a FREE viewing party at the X tomorrow night!

Gates open at 7:30, you can go to the arena and watch the game tomorrow night on that glorious new HD screen!

Unfortunately I have to work, otherwise I'd be there myself!

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
BTW - for those unaware... the Wild are hosting a FREE viewing party at the X tomorrow night!

Gates open at 7:30, you can go to the arena and watch the game tomorrow night on that glorious new HD screen!

I really need to move closer to the Twin Cities so I can go to stuff like this.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
Posted this in the GDT, but wanted to put it here too since it was the full debut of the new scoreboard and other video/light boards around the arena.

Took nearly 4 hours to upload the video, but here is the light show from last night. It's a bit shaky at first, but it does get better. I only stopped recording briefly, but you can't really tell where the break in the video is. I suggest viewing it on full screen to see just how bright it really got in there. Although I must admit that the quality seems a bit poor after uploading it, but it's crystal clear on the S5. :shakehead The video they played on the scoreboard doesn't show up as well simply because it was so bright.

Thank you so much. This was the first home opener I've missed in 12 years due to moving to CO and was wondering what they were going to do for opening night and that gorgeous new A/V setup. Can't wait to catch the 12/23 & 12/27 games when I'm back for the holidays.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Im heading down there tomorrow night. Any opportunity I get to be in that arena Im going to take. Its a thing of beauty.

Billy Mays Here*

Didn't really care for the intro myself, aside from the player intros that is. Just a bunch of flashing white light with some crappy music in the background.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
To be fair it seemed to be almost more about the new displays in the arena than the team before the player intros actually started.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
To be fair it seemed to be almost more about the new displays in the arena than the team before the player intros actually started.

I'd agree there too. I also wonder the more comfortable they get with the board the better things will get in the long run.

The stuff they did for the playoffs last year was fantastic and they sure as hell didn't have the set up they do now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Well they had to showcase where everything was at. It still took several people half the damn game to realize they were broadcasting the stats up on the lighthouses.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00