Rumor: The new Rumour and Proposal thread: Ranking of the Oilers D is in another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Except fighting, going to the net hard and checking;) And from what I saw in a brief period last year, being a highly positive presence in the dressing room and mentor

This cannot be overstated. These things get overlooked at times.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Doesn't mean we can't have both.
I feel like as a fan base, we are allergic to depth.

I agree with this, but not in this case. As I said in those other points about him, but also I will add that I think despite his skill and performance here(which I admit has been good), Chia is looking for players that play a certain way and not just skill. That 's why I have my stance on this

Pouliot is going on to his 8th team in 9 years very soon here imo. That's a pretty telling fact. So him being a depth player, that can be debated. His pricetag for 6 years pre Edm screamed depth player and still no GM was willing to keep or make sure to resign

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Chiarelli already traded a much cheaper Poo quickly once. And a pretty reliable source(Gregor) said he tried again despite how good he was playing to some people. And like I said, his position was given away publicly, despite good play, to a guy here less than 25 games. GM's and coache's don't confirm for no reason unless they mean it

It's not far fetched nor an unfounded theory. As to LW/RW, wingers switch all the time. Why is Edm any different?

That's just factually incorrect. Most teams might have a couple wingers that can play either side, but it's not that common.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wouldn't say no chance, the price gets low enough, maybe they might take a look, but not likely I would agree.

I just think that sometimes the best option is to walk away.

I think that the case with Kane. Way too much baggage.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Except fighting, going to the net hard and checking;) And from what I saw in a brief period last year, being a highly positive presence in the dressing room and mentor. From my take, it just seems that Maroon is high on the Oil plans, and something needs to shake loose

Maroon is like a Lucic-lite. Pouliot gives something a little different since he's a much better skater and more focused on possession. Lucic and Maroon are great territorial players, something we've lacked for years now, but Pouliot is still important to the team for more than just his attitude

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I was thinking the same thing lolol. Here's the video of the Seguin conversation. Chiarelli DIDN'T want to let him go. He was the only one there who didn't want to let him go.

What part of that video is supposed to lead me to believe Chia was against moving him?
The part where everyone cuts down Seguin and Chia doesn't say a word in defence?
Or the part where he says a player needs to be moved to accommodate Horton's contract and he's already shopping Seguin?
Or when he brings up Seguin again despite Horton moving on?
Maybe I missed it.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
What part of that video is supposed to lead me to believe Chia was against moving him?
The part where everyone cuts down Seguin and Chia doesn't say a word in defence?
Or the part where he says a player needs to be moved to accommodate Horton's contract and he's already shopping Seguin?
Maybe I missed it.

I thought it was just me, but I'm glad you mentioned it, because I didn't see any part of that, that showed Chia "didn't" want to trade Seguin.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I agree with this, but not in this case. As I said in those other points about him, but also I will add that I think despite his skill and performance here(which I admit has been good), Chia is looking for players that play a certain way and not just skill. That 's why I have my stance on this

Pouliot is going on to his 8th team in 9 years very soon here imo. That's a pretty telling fact. So him being a depth player, that can be debated. His pricetag for 6 years pre Edm screamed depth player and still no GM was willing to keep or make sure to resign

I remember it looked like he turned a corner in New York. Rangers fans were down on losing him. Pouliot has become a different player than the one bounced around.

Not to say he is without flaws, but as a third line winger or second line winger (as long as he isn't the second line 's driver) I don't see an issue. Especially having Maroon for so cheap. Really balances out the cap hit.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I thought it was just me, but I'm glad you mentioned it, because I didn't see any part of that, that showed Chia "didn't" want to trade Seguin.

That video was all about how valuable Nathan Horton was to them at the time. To the Boston Bruins, Tyler Seguin was an 'extra' piece. Nathan Horton was a driver and when he walked they knew he had to be replaced immediately. The unfortunate part of that is what Blake Wheeler turned into shortly after he was traded to Winnipeg.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I was thinking the same thing lolol. Here's the video of the Seguin conversation. Chiarelli DIDN'T want to let him go. He was the only one there who didn't want to let him go.

Funny to hear Neely bashing Seguin because he hadn't figured it after 3 years. You know who else couldn't figure out their game after 3 years? YOU! .....moron

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I don't really see it either, but you do at least see Nealy trying to drive the point home. And Nealy and Sweeney went on, without Chia, to pull the exact same garbage with Hamilton, smear campaign and all.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Funny to hear Neely bashing Seguin because he hadn't figured it after 3 years. You know who else couldn't figure out their game after 3 years? YOU! .....moron

He had figured out his game at that point. He led the team in scoring the previous season. The reason they were so down on him at that point was his game in the playoffs, when the games mattered most. That year they'd lost to Chicago in the finals, he managed a 1-7-8 stat line. Horton, the guy they were really gutted to lose, fared a bit better.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't really see it either, but you do at least see Nealy trying to drive the point home. And Nealy and Sweeney went on, without Chia, to pull the exact same garbage with Hamilton, smear campaign and all.

It's also telling that Chia insisted on being not just GM of the Oilers, but President too. It shows that Chia resents the relationship he had with Neely, which must mean that there were key issues they disagreed on that didn't turn out well. The Seguin trade could very well have been one of those issues, but we can't know so we might as well own the fact that Chiarelli gets the credit for it.

But, Neely and Chia are both smart guys. I know it's the rule that players get the benefit of the doubt in these cases, but it must have taken something pretty extreme for them to give up on a great young player like Seguin. I know they had cap problems but I have to believe they had more options. I can't imagine us throwing Draisaitl away because of something like a cap issue, and he's not on the same level as Seguin.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He had figured out his game at that point. He led the team in scoring the previous season. The reason they were so down on him at that point was his game in the playoffs, when the games mattered most. That year they'd lost to Chicago in the finals, he managed a 1-7-8 stat line. Horton, the guy they were really gutted to lose, fared a bit better.

ya, he doesn't seem like a big game player.
I can see why some would sour on him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Maybe I missed it.

You're bang on and will always be bang on with this.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're bang on and will always be bang on with this.

Of course he was shopping Seguin. But that doesn't mean he was dead-set on trading the guy. That two minute clip is an edited piece of how many hours of actual deliberation?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
back on topic with this PTO..

If it is Richards who gets a PTO and works his way onto a contract...who gets bumped?...I'm guessing M.Richards gets 3C role, and Drai moves RW. then what?...

Lucic - McD - Eberle
Maroon - RNH- Drai
Pouliot - Richards - Puljajrvi
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

I'm guessing Yak is odd man out, ///unless he comes into camp and completely changes minds and forces his way as top6 player...then wtf? Pulja to AHL?

maybe mr.heenan is right and Poo gets moved, but that wouldn't make sense to play a player on their off wing...maybe Poo and Yak are out and E.Kane in as discussed...(not for each other, but moving parts)....

Lucic - McD - Eberle
Kane - RNH- Drai
Maroon - Richards - Puljajrvi
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Richards comes in it's to push the guys on the bubble. Lander needs a huge camp if he's not moved prior to opening night. And if he does get a contract it's probably because Hendricks is probably only going to see 60-70% of the games this season due to his age.

I love the idea of Richards coming in and earning a contract, but I can't describe how slow he's become. I wouldn't expect him to bump guys like Yakupov or Pouliot. That would be selling them short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad