The New Ottawa Senators

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If the team plays scrappy like this, I have no doubt they will make the playoffs. Karlsson was the right choice for Captain and that Bobby Ryan signing is awesome.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
I love the team. Wow a summer of crap and whining and underestimation surrounding the sens and now the roster looks better than last years. Really excited to see what our team can do. We are probably bottom 10 in terms of talent (with Arizona,Calgary, Buffalo, Columbus, Winnipeg, etc..) but have the potential to be top 10 in winning by committee which is how teams like Columbus and the rangers made it into the playoffs.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I can see it being a new era now with Karlsson being the captain now and Spezza being traded. Looking forward to great things to come from this team.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Looking forward to seeing how they fare this season.

Obviously I was a big Spezza supporter (still think he took much more crap than he deserved), but I've moved on and am excited to for a new era with Karlsson leading the way for the near future.

Legwand has been a really nice pick-up from what I've seen so far, hopefully that play continues in to the regular season. Chiasson also appears to be solid, too.

Some very intriguing prospects to keep an eye on this year (Lazar, Puempel, Dzingel, Prince, Robinson, amongst others) as well.

If the team progresses, great. If we don't do great, at least the kids pick-up some more experience and we have a good chance at adding a high-end offensive talent (which is what I believe is one of the last pieces required for us to contend, along with another top four defenseman).

Methot can be dangled at the deadline if we are out of the race and an extension is not close. A few more picks in the hands of our scouting staff wouldn't be a bad thing and would ensure a continuous flow of home grown talent for the foreseeable future.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Wikstrand, Englund, and the Swedish forward we draft in the first round this year will make the team, and the third Ottawa Senators dynasty will be the Swedish Six joining the Super Six and Silver Seven.

Sensation

Apr 27, 2009
Cary, NC
I like a lot of what I see in the team, but I don't see them taking a step forward until Neil/Phillips/Greening/Condra, and Michalek to a lesser degree, are moved.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think the pesky Sens is a part of the old sens, and while it has its charm, seems somewhat juevenille in nature. We want to be more than just pesky, and not be satisfied with just frustrating teams, like an annoying horsefly.

We want to be a force to be reckoned with, and to be taken seriously by the rest of the league. I think we have the size and speed to follow a Boston/St Louis model, with a dash of Columbus.

I don't see anything wrong with being an underestimated team that always fights back and pulls off wins. In order for Ottawa to be "taken seriously" they would essentially have to win the cup. That's just the reality of the league. I'm fine with pesky if we can find that again.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I really like the make-up of this team and I'm sure people will come to embrace them. Still very young but lots of competition for spots. It will be a fun ride for many years watching them grow.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think this team looking better is s direct result of the rule change to make the trapezoid behind the net bigger

simplefan

May 25, 2008
The New Send are dangerous

At least someone else saw that. We're a team spending way less time in D zone, playing hard, finishing checks, keeping things simple.
Keeping possession. Making short passes, quick forecheck, first man on the puck, using the points more, being in good position, forcing turnovers in neutral zone and O zone more, quick to attack.

I'm excited for this year. Karlsson with the C plays like a way more mature player and Ceci brings in some more needed puck moving. Cowen finally looks like a Top 4, plays hard and moves the puck well. Ryan controls the play, the Macturret duo still dynamic.
Only concern, Ziba looks a little slow but its preseason. we can do a lot of damage.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The most exciting thing is, we've looked not bad defensively with Methot not even in the line-up. A guy who a year back was heralded as our only real solid defensive play.

Just pre-season but all indications are beautiful. Turris too seems to have elevated his game. As well as Ryan and co.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Well, I watched one period last night and then I bought a year's subscription to Hockeystreams.

I guess that says it all. I'm in. Love the team's ethic. Really makes it easy to cheer. I'm ok with mistakes, I'm ok with the talent not always being there, but as a fan I hate watching my team get outworked. I don't anticipate that happening over and over and over again this season.

Is it worth the upgrade over free hockey streams? I don't have cable so I usually stream online. Also I just got a 50 inch so I wouldn't mind a clear lag-free picture.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Is it worth the upgrade over free hockey streams? I don't have cable so I usually stream online. Also I just got a 50 inch so I wouldn't mind a clear lag-free picture.

Yes. Both GCL and HS are miles better than the free ones.

No comparison..

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Given the changes made in the roster, i think the team will try to be more "Defensively Responsible".

It will take some time to fully develop and implement that strategy and approach. Some of the current players will have to become more disciplined and not take minor penalties causing man disadvantages which will lead to more goals against and losses. The major culprits last year were: Neil, Smith, MacArthur and Gryba. If the team does that, they have a chance to make the playoffs. If they don't, then golfing season will arrive early. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
hard to say some periods they look hard working then other periods they look like old sens running around

We have seen both teams in the last two games against mtl imo

Yes, i saw it that way too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- David Legwand is a much better player than most here realize & has the experience this team needs & the skill to put up 50 plus pts.
- this team will be a much better defensive team without Spezza & a much better two way transition team.
- I expect Cowen, Zibanejad, Ceci, Stone & Hoffman to all be much better this yr & will improve the team.
- I expect the veterans to be as good, if not better than last yr.
- I expect our goaltending to improve from last season.
- I expect that Cowen, Methot, Gryba & Boro will make our team tougher & harder to play against & be much better defensively.
- I expect that our forwards will be defensively responsible & work much harder defensively. I expect Karlsson to be much better defensively.
- I expect we will score as much as last , if not more with three scoring lines as well as scoring by committee. I expect PM will spread the scoring forwards around.
- I expect that Ottawa has a good nucleus of players to build around & BM will make one or two more moves this yr to improve their weaknesses.
- I expect they will make the playoffs.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Anyone else use hockey streams and can say it is an exceptional service? I'm thinking of getting the 6 month pack. Are all the games lag free? I have cogeco high speed cable internet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $245.00