The New Jersey Devils Defense

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i'd much rather have volchenkov than all of tallinder, greene, fayne, and larsson who are all pretty much the same type of player. one of those 4 needs to go and it's certainly not going to be larsson.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think Volchenkov is being bought out unless the team is actually really strapped for cap space or something. JVB isn't gonna write out an 8 million dollar check to Volchenkov just to have him sign somewhere else, while spending more money to replace him.

I'm not saying that money wouldn't be better spent elsewhere, or that buying out Volchenkov would definitely be a bad idea, I just don't think it's gonna happen. Same goes for players like Lecavalier. That's gotta be a 20 million dollar buyout or something! All so that you can spend MORE money to pay for a new 55 point forward. Just doesn't make sense unless you have the cash to burn.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
You'd have to trade Volch, but if that contract is as bad as some express, not many teams would be willing to get him. We're stuck with him imo. I'm fine with having him though.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
You'd have to trade Volch, but if that contract is as bad as some express, not many teams would be willing to get him. We're stuck with him imo. I'm fine with having him though.

Yeah, realistically, if you can have a guy like Volchenkov on your 3rd pairing you're not in bad shape. The issue arises when having Volchenkov instead of a 1-2 million dollar defenseman is stopping you from acquiring some sort of "missing piece." I guess we'll see how that plays out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i'd much rather have volchenkov than all of tallinder, greene, fayne, and larsson who are all pretty much the same type of player. one of those 4 needs to go and it's certainly not going to be larsson.

I could see us trading Fayne of all people. Before anyone jumps on me this is not something I want, but you can't tell me the organization has him off limits the way they would Larsson.

However I doubt Fayne will go, because if they were gonna trade Fayne I think they would want a good top 6 forward in that deal, and rightfully so. With the salary cap uncertainty It makes sense they would worry about our UFA's and RFA's, and not bring someone else expensive into the mix. We could get a Poni type player for way less than Fayne too.

Again don't flip out on me like the last time I brought this up. I don't want Fayne gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was dealt if we needed him to be.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Fayne isn't off limits, but he's such a good value for the money he's paid, that it would have to be a very good deal to get him.

Oroku Saki*

Larsson - Volchenkov will be a great pairing. I hope Pete keeps them together. They might get caught flat-footed here and there but I think they compliment each other well.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
imo, tallinder is the odd man out. the 2013-14 season will be quite interesting if even 2 of our defensive prospects pan out

apice3*

we should buy out volch for a 1.4 mil cap hit and then sign a different stay at home guy for 2.8 mil.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
imo, tallinder is the odd man out. the 2013-14 season will be quite interesting if even 2 of our defensive prospects pan out

I tend to agree with Tallinder, however if this season is wiped, Zidlicky is off the books and Tallinder still has another year on the books, so the log jam may solve itself although I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Zidlicky back for 1-2 years at a reasonable price

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't know if there are many teams in the NHL that would be interested in Volch. He could be a great fit here, but so far I have not been impressed. I thought he was going to be our best stay at home guy since Stevens. Yea, I've seen a few big hits from him here and there, but in the playoffs last year he was getting burned repeatedly. If he's going to be a big hitter he needs to learn to balance it out with good defense as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fayne isn't off limits, but he's such a good value for the money he's paid, that it would have to be a very good deal to get him.
Yup this is what I'm saying. A very good deal, but the kind of player we would want is probably a UFA soon or young RFA due a raise bigger than the one Fayne would get. I don't see it happening with the cap, and trying to take care of our own first.

I tend to agree with Tallinder, however if this season is wiped, Zidlicky is off the books and Tallinder still has another year on the books, so the log jam may solve itself although I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Zidlicky back for 1-2 years at a reasonable price
This is what I have said might happen if the season is wiped. Though I'd trade Tallinder for free, and re sign Zidlicky at $2.5 million for 2 years, or even Tallinder's salary for just the one. Zidlicky is more of a need right now.

I could really care less about his physical game when he's getting mercilessly burned by the likes of Sean Bergenheim.
To be fair I think he was injured of some kind. I can't believe he was that bad, and I can't believe he was left in the lineup, and Larsson wasn't inserted. He almost cost us the Florida series. The tying goal in game 7 was on him if I remember correctly too as well as many other goals. He pushed a Panther on Marty, and he couldn't make the save. He was coned by Bergenheim, and other Panthers time, and time again during that series. What pissed me off is Marty took a lot of blame for needing 7 games against Florida, but why weren't people calling out Volchenkov for the most part?

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Volchenkov gets bought out and we roll with Greene-Fayne, Sal-Zid, Larsson-Tallinder with Harrold as our extra. Im not opposed to this and I think its serviceable. Not great but no glaring weaknesses either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think if we're up near the cap after signing Zajac, and Clarkson with Volchenkov's contract on the books I think Lou will use the buyout to get us in the clear. Or at least once Lou has a good idea of how much those guys will cost as I'm sure the buyouts happen before free agency like always. There's a chance he could throw a curveball, and buy out Tallinder's final year to save some money, and hope for a cheap stop gap once Marty comes off the books in 2014 to free up some cash. I think buying out Tallinder is highly unlikely, but we've seen some oddball moves out of Lou, and company before.

In all likelyhood as I've said the buyout will probably be used on Barch since we would have bought him out anyway!:laugh:

apice3*

Volchenkov wasn't really that bad at any point this season aside from the Florida series. That 7-game stretch he was awful, and people have based his entire tenure with the Devils on those 7 games. Completely ridiculous.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Volchenkov wasn't really that bad at any point this season aside from the Florida series. That 7-game stretch he was awful, and people have based his entire tenure with the Devils on those 7 games. Completely ridiculous.

Like I said he was probably injured or something. He did sit out the last game of the regular season, and maybe another game late in the year with something too right? I didn't think he was that good after the Florida series, but he was more than serviceable. It just pissed me off all the people who called for Marty to retire during the Florida series, but Volchenkov got a free pass on here. He caused many of the goals in the Florida series. Including the goal that got Marty pulled in game 3 by completely screening him. And not to mention the tying goal in game 7 after Zidlicky took the DOG penalty. He pushed a Panther onto Marty not allowing him to be up to make the save.

I don't completely hate him or anything. I don't even dislike him too much. I just don't like the contract, and personally I think we need forwards more than we need a guy like him. If he came for a million less I'd be less frustrated with him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

it exposed him, thats for sure.go far side on him, loop around by the boards, and crash the net at a tight angle with the puck. going foward, he'll be pretty easy to go through. that being said, no one hates him ( i dont think) ...his salary is a just a bit high

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember him causing a breakaway in game 5 of the SCF that Marty stopped, but I'm really just being an ass, and nitpicking. A lot of other guys caused breakaways in the playoffs. I forgot who the braindead moron was who caused the Kopitar OT winner in game 1.

A lot of people also forget how bad Kopitar burned Parise in game 3. All the way down the ice. Yeah I know Kopitar is a better player than Parise so you can't complain too much. Ooofff it was Zubrus, and Salvador on that one. Went back, and watched it again. Had to sit through Edzo gusing over the Kings taking game 1 like he was a proud dad.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

This is exactly how I feel.

The people that base Volchenkov's demise on those 7 games are the same people that conveniently forget Tallinder was complete garbage in the 40 games before he was injured.

I simply refuse to believe Volchenkov is finished and doomed to be a role player the rest of his career. He's a quality player with an excellent track record. He's not the perfect fit for DeBoers system, but good players adapt to change and I'm confident Volch will do the same.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is exactly how I feel.

The people that base Volchenkov's demise on those 7 games are the same people that conveniently forget Tallinder was complete garbage in the 40 games before he was injured.
Not me. The CORSI obviously will tell us he was, but I remember the Fayne/Tallinder pairing being a trainwreck. Even feed me a stray cat admitted he was having a bad year. Fayne, and Tallinder on a pairing is bad news.

Everyone was bashing Tallinder right before he was injured. I'd have to find the thread. I think someone even referred to him as ''Hank the suckage tank'' which was hilarious. I think it was you who called him that. He was good in the SCF when he came back, but I remember him losing a battle behind the net along the boards during the 5 minute major that led to one of the goals.

apice3*

Tallinder has only been productive under Lemaire. He was awful under MacLean and aside from having fresh legs in the Cup finals, he was awful all of last year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tallinder has only been productive under Lemaire. He was awful under MacLean and aside from having fresh legs in the Cup finals, he was awful all of last year.

In before you're shot down with CORSI stats!:sarcasm:

Seriously though maybe I don't understand it, but wasn't it 10/11 when he had the amazing CORSI stats? And not 11/12?

Remember when Tallinder was used on the PP early in the year?:help: He was responsible for a couple of those shorthanded goals too.

People complained about Tallinder all first half of last season before he was injured. I guarantee if this season starts people will be doing it again, and we'll see plenty of ''Why wasn't Tallinder traded? What's he still doing here?!'' posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad