Speculation: The New And Improved Goaltending Thread - All Goats Tended

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Pretty sure half of what those guys say on the air or write in articles aren't what they really believe. Saying Buffalo should be patient and stick with the plan to grow their young stable won't draw viewers or clicks like saying the Sabres should get Patrick Kane.
Your post made me recall a comment from my dad 4 decades ago: "Never tell someone how to spend their own money."

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
My one huge beef with Adams is this unimpressive, hope-for-the-best mess in net. He tried to improve the situation with Murray (meh), and failed. I hope the "plan" he keeps talking about sticking to includes something more tangible than prayer for decent goaltending.

Anyone who's played at any level knows how deflating it is to play well, and have a gift goal or two against turn a victory into a loss. I really don't want our young, talented, hungry team playing on eggshells worrying about the slightest mistake winding up in their net.

I understand your frustration and also the "downside" case if Comrie falters, but not sure what else could have been done this past summer given how things shook out.

Kuemper had a deal with WSH lined up well before free agency opened, and same with Campbell & EDM. I would not have wanted to get into a bidding war for either of those 2 guys. They're fine, but they're not among the very elite G's in the league.

Husso was my #1 all along but Yzerman swooped in and made the trade with STL and re-signed him before anyone else could make their pitch. Yzerman has a VERY close relationship with Doug Armstrong and may have had the leading track to make such a trade and may have been able to get permission or info from STL that Husso would sign in DET. We don't know if Adams made inquiries to do the same or if Husso indicated he would prefer to sign elsewhere.

So besides those 3 guys and Fleury staying in MIN, there's no one else I feel we missed out on. So unless there was some massive unforeseen trade for a guy like Helleybuck (which would have cost 2 arms & 2 legs), I'm not sure what else Adams could have done this year. Comrie is fine initial move and there will be other UFA and trade options down the road.

And in the same way BUF didn't do what OTT and DET did this summer make huge trades and/or UFA signings because they feel they're 1 or 2 years away from making those kind of moves, Adams still has time to make a big move like that in 1 or 2 years if there's any issues with Comrie + Levi + UPL. Maybe one of Jarry or Talbot could be a UFA target next year if necessary, and there are a handful of teams that have some G prospects that could be a trade target if necessary with the plethora of F prospects & draft picks we could move.

Reactions: brian_griffin

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If Comrie doesn't work out this season I would trade two 2nds (one in 23 and one in 24) for Ullmark next offseason. Swayman may he ready to start full time in 23/24. If Ullmark waives his NMC.

Edit to add thats a good 2 year bridge to Levi. Assuming that works out like we all hope it does

Last edited:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
As much as it feels KA's goalie plan is locked in on waiting for development, I would be willing to bet he has been looking at all other sources as well. There just hasn't been a worthy target vs price available yet, and we have a little time to be patient, and make the right longterm move. If the right goaltender became available I would bet KA would pay the price to lock down that position for the next 6-8 years. In the NFL, if you don't have a good quarterback.....you are going nowhere. In the NHL, if you don't have goood goaltending.....your going nowhere. KA understands this. I would bet it is #1 on his list.

Reactions: oldgoalie

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
As much as it feels KA's goalie plan is locked in on waiting for development, I would be willing to bet he has been looking at all other sources as well. There just hasn't been a worthy target vs price available yet, and we have a little time to be patient, and make the right longterm move. If the right goaltender became available I would bet KA would pay the price to lock down that position for the next 6-8 years. In the NFL, if you don't have a good quarterback.....you are going nowhere. In the NHL, if you don't have goood goaltending.....your going nowhere. KA understands this. I would bet it is #1 on his list.
so far, he hasn't shown it, but I hope you're right.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I understand your frustration and also the "downside" case if Comrie falters, but not sure what else could have been done this past summer given how things shook out.

Kuemper had a deal with WSH lined up well before free agency opened, and same with Campbell & EDM. I would not have wanted to get into a bidding war for either of those 2 guys. They're fine, but they're not among the very elite G's in the league.

Husso was my #1 all along but Yzerman swooped in and made the trade with STL and re-signed him before anyone else could make their pitch. Yzerman has a VERY close relationship with Doug Armstrong and may have had the leading track to make such a trade and may have been able to get permission or info from STL that Husso would sign in DET. We don't know if Adams made inquiries to do the same or if Husso indicated he would prefer to sign elsewhere.

So besides those 3 guys and Fleury staying in MIN, there's no one else I feel we missed out on. So unless there was some massive unforeseen trade for a guy like Helleybuck (which would have cost 2 arms & 2 legs), I'm not sure what else Adams could have done this year. Comrie is fine initial move and there will be other UFA and trade options down the road.

And in the same way BUF didn't do what OTT and DET did this summer make huge trades and/or UFA signings because they feel they're 1 or 2 years away from making those kind of moves, Adams still has time to make a big move like that in 1 or 2 years if there's any issues with Comrie + Levi + UPL. Maybe one of Jarry or Talbot could be a UFA target next year if necessary, and there are a handful of teams that have some G prospects that could be a trade target if necessary with the plethora of F prospects & draft picks we could move.

Agree with all of these. But if the Comrie experiment doesn't pan out, or UPL doesn't develop, then KA will have no choice but to make a big move next year. And maybe that is paying the arms and legs for a Hellebuyck (of course, the good news is we have a pretty damn good supply of arms and legs right now...).

And given that this year is still a develop and evaluate year (with the hope that maybe they can sneak into the playoffs if things go right), I'm not too concerned. But by this time next year there better be an answer in net--whether that is Comrie or UPL establishing themselves this year, or acquiring an established starter through trade/FA.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Agree with all of these. But if the Comrie experiment doesn't pan out, or UPL doesn't develop, then KA will have no choice but to make a big move next year. And maybe that is paying the arms and legs for a Hellebuyck (of course, the good news is we have a pretty damn good supply of arms and legs right now...).

And given that this year is still a develop and evaluate year (with the hope that maybe they can sneak into the playoffs if things go right), I'm not too concerned. But by this time next year there better be an answer in net--whether that is Comrie or UPL establishing themselves this year, or acquiring an established starter through trade/FA.

True, but he’ll cost less if he only has one year left on his deal rather than two, and at least he’ll be eligible to sign an extension, so we’ll know if we trade for him it will be a long term thing.

And if Comrie and everything doesn’t go perfectly and the stars don’t align, ending up with one more top 10 pick in the ‘23 draft before we take a big leap into full time playoff team the year after, that won’t be a bad thing at all. I like what @Chainshot said in another thread (I believe) that because so many teams should be better, we can still take a big step forward and still end up with another top 10 pick. I couldn’t complain about that it that’s how it ends up playing out. Or maybe we’ll finish 15th last but win the lottery and move up to pick # 5 :naughty:

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
True, but he’ll cost less if he only has one year left on his deal rather than two, and at least he’ll be eligible to sign an extension, so we’ll know if we trade for him it will be a long term thing.

And if Comrie and everything doesn’t go perfectly and the stars don’t align, ending up with one more top 10 pick in the ‘23 draft before we take a big leap into full time playoff team the year after, that won’t be a bad thing at all. I like what @Chainshot said in another thread (I believe) that because so many teams should be better, we can still take a big step forward and still end up with another top 10 pick. I couldn’t complain about that it that’s how it ends up playing out. Or maybe we’ll finish 15th last but win the lottery and move up to pick # 5 :naughty:

Yeah, I'm still of a mind that the Atlantic compresses due to improvement at the bottom and attrition at the top. That means a 15-ish point increase for the Sabres may still have them around 10th come draft day.

As for the goaltending, still wondering if Luukkonnen trends up that they don't wind up with Anderson as a defacto goalie consultant by season's end. Granato seemed adamant that Craig only gets 20-ish games this year.

Reactions: brian_griffin

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I'm still of a mind that the Atlantic compresses due to improvement at the bottom and attrition at the top. That means a 15-ish point increase for the Sabres may still have them around 10th come draft day.

As for the goaltending, still wondering if Luukkonnen trends up that they don't wind up with Anderson as a defacto goalie consultant by season's end. Granato seemed adamant that Craig only gets 20-ish games this year.

Both scenarios are ones I could happily live with.

2 months ago I felt there was a legit chance we could get that last wild card spot. Now, while I don’t want to be pessimistic, with DeBrincat trade + Giroux signing OTT made and all the moves DET & NJD made, I think the path to legit playoff contention next season is less probable (still possible, but less than 50% IMO).

So if there’s one more year to pick high-ish, couldn’t ask for better than the 2023 draft. And I’m even happy to go F with the 1st pick if we take 2 or 3 Dmen in the 2nd round. :)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Yeah, you can suck a bag of pucks with that talk of another top 10 finish. You gotta wait until at least November before you talk like that. Summer is the time of Hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad