The most unbelievable goalie wins

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hasek-Brodeur in 94. Neither was a well-known figure outside of hockey circles. That entire series was incredible. Hasek had his time with the Soviet teams previously but I doubt anyone outside of Buffalo or Canada knew much about him.

I do not like Broduer's status as a top goalie due to compiling, but holy hell was he good those first few years.

I also hate Hasek, oddly enough, but he was clearly a generational goalie. I just think he was a chronic chemistry-destroyer and will always take Roy right above him.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Hasek-Brodeur in 94. Neither was a well-known figure outside of hockey circles. That entire series was incredible. Hasek had his time with the Soviet teams previously but I doubt anyone outside of Buffalo or Canada knew much about him.

I do not like Broduer's status as a top goalie due to compiling, but holy hell was he good those first few years.

I also hate Hasek, oddly enough, but he was clearly a generational goalie. I just think he was a chronic chemistry-destroyer and will always take Roy right above him.
Isn’t being able to compile a positive for goaltenders? Most guys aren’t able to compete at a starting level long enough to be compilers.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

we thought we were watching the beginning of another 2003 giguere, only if instead of playing for babcock he was playing behind one of history’s most defensively inept coaches.

the next game demko pitched a 48 save shutout in regulation but he had some goal support because lehner kind of fell apart on the other end that game.

in game seven, he held them to one goal while getting outshot by 20 (“only” had to make 33 saves in that one) but alas.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Grant Fuhr in g1 of the 1984 Stanley Cup final? I think the Oilers might have dominated the game a little bit, though.

I don't agree on Myshkin in g3 of the Challenge Cup, BTW. The NHL All-Stars simply did not have too many good chances in the game. Even Myshkin said their shooting wasn't very good. Tretiak in the 1981 Canada Cup final, for example, had to exceed himself much more IMO.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
How's this for "unbelievable"?

On New Year's Eve 1996, Colorado beat a much weaker Chicago team 4-1. Patrick Roy stopped 21 off 22 shots. Coach Marc Crawford put in Craig Billington for 12 seconds. During that time, Sandis Ozolinsh scored Colorado's 2nd goal. So he picked up a win (over Roy, the all-time wins leader) after 12 seconds, without facing a single shot.

I think (but am not positive) Crawford did this to give his powerplay unit a breather before going on a two-man advantage. (It worked - Colorado scored two goals).

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
How's this for "unbelievable"?

On New Year's Eve 1996, Colorado beat a much weaker Chicago team 4-1. Patrick Roy stopped 21 off 22 shots. Coach Marc Crawford put in Craig Billington for 12 seconds. During that time, Sandis Ozolinsh scored Colorado's 2nd goal. So he picked up a win (over Roy, the all-time wins leader) after 12 seconds, without facing a single shot.

I think (but am not positive) Crawford did this to give his powerplay unit a breather before going on a two-man advantage. (It worked - Colorado scored two goals).

And then Roy went nuts after the game and destroyed a bunch of video equipment in Crawford's office.

As to the OP, a not yet rookie Ken Dryden stopping 46 of 48 in the Boston Garden in gm. 7 of the '71 Quarter-finals.

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regular Season

The most saves in a game is by Ron Tugnutt who saved 70 shots in 65 minutes in a tie for the Nordiques against the Bruins in 1991. He allowed 3 goals.

The most saves in a win is 65 saves by Mario Lessard in 60 minutes for the Kings against the North Stars in 1981. He also allowed 3 goals. (Edited)

The most saves in a shutout is Ben Scrivens who saved 59 shots in 60 minutes for the Oilers against the Sharks in 2014.

Playoffs

In the playoffs, the most saves in a single game by a goalie is by Joonas Korpisalo for the Blue Jackets who saved 85 of 88 shots in a losing effort against Tampa Bay in 2020. He played a whopping 150 minutes.

The most saves in a win is Kelly Hrudey who saved 73 of 75 for the Isles against the Capitals in 129 minutes of work. This was the famous Easter Epic Game 7 featuring 4 OTs which also featured Bob Mason for the Caps making 54 saves.

The most saves in a shutout, perhaps fitting, is by the Dominator, Dominik Hasek who saved all 70 shots in 1994 in a game for the Buffalo Sabres against the New Jersey Devils in 126 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad