The most general SM-Liiga question ever

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
So, obviously as a Canadian, I love the NHL, however I have been interested in learning and following a foreign hockey league as well, and basically I think I'd like to follow Liiga. Why? Because I think Finland is pretty bad-ass (Tried to learn the language but it's so hard to find the resources) and I like your guys attitude towards hockey.
Anywho, I was kinda wondering if someone or a group of people would be able to fill me in at where every team stands in the league (ie a short descriptive of the team). Ideally, just a few things like are they rebuilding, competing, defensively structured, offensively structured, prospect-heavy, ect. Basically I am hoping this will give me an idea of the squads so within an appropriate amount of time and after watching plenty of games, I can pick a favorite squad. I could do that without the descriptive, but if a team is playing out of character, it could lead me incorrectly and that would make me sad :P

Anyways, many thanks to anyone who reads this

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It's quite hard to define who's rebuilding, who's competing etc. because most of the contracts in the league are only for 1 or 2 years and even a 2-year contract could have a KHL out-clause.

Some veterans (usually very established players) are signed to longer deals, like Ossi Väänänen, who's Jokerit's captain. Teams also try to lock down the most promising prospects for more than just a year.

Another thing you should know is that head coaches change often compared to the NHL. Sometimes they're fired, sometimes they decide to leave themselves after their contract's up and sometimes they get bought out of their contracts by KHL teams. This can make it hard to give definite answers to your question on team playing style.

I can help out with the teams a little bit later if nobody else does that before I have the chance.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
KalPa for example has kept it's playing style / identity for many years.. And I think HIFK also has their style, so called "Brand Hockey". I wouldn't say that it is hard to see different style in different teams. I don't have time right now, but I might be to tell something about how KalPa plays later. I wouldn't say the turbulence in the league is that big.

KalPa has intresting youngsters again this year, Kasperi Kapanen, who looks really really good for he's age and he's style would fit NA. Other is Artturi Lehkonen, who could be very good european league player in the future, some believe he could become good NHLer. KalPa has also lots of players that have long history with team like J.Timonen, Mashur, S. Kapanen, T. Miettinen and some others too.

Somehow I think Hifk could be sexy team for you to follow. Their style is to play rough hockey like in NA.

Last edited:

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
KalPa for example has kept it's playing style / identity for many years.. And I think HIFK also has their style, so called "Brand Hockey". I wouldn't say that it is hard to see different style in different teams. I don't have time right now, but I might be to tell something about how KalPa plays later. I wouldn't say the turbulence in the league is that big.

KalPa has intresting youngsters again this year, Kasperi Kapanen, who looks really really good for he's age and he's style would fit NA. Other is Artturi Lehkonen, who could be very good european league player in the future, some believe he could become good NHLer. KalPa has also lots of players that have long history with team like J.Timonen, Mashur, S. Kapanen, T. Miettinen and some others too.

Somehow I think Hifk could be sexy team for you to follow. Their style is to play rough hockey like in NA.

Well, my favorite team in the NHL for the past 4 or 5 years has been the St. Louis Blues and I like that they are a young physical squad that plays a defense first game, so HIFK sounds attractive. Of course, I want to watch a little of everyone before I start to follow a team as a favorite, but I am just wanting to get a sense of who I might like that way I wont be mislead by a team that plays a couple unique games. Anyway, thanks to the two posters for your guys input so far

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
Oulun Kärpät

The dynasty of 2000 decade, the biggest ansexiest, biggestand the most beautiful team in SM-liiga. They have most money, best cheerleaders and prettiest logo. Their fans are the most intelligent hockey gurus and really nice people overall.

Of course Kärpät is the fastest team and has the best players, we had some good goalies in the past like Rinne, Backstrom and Thomas. Many teams are afraid of our physical play, specially JOkerit and Hifk

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

The brand isn't what it used to be. Playing rough used to be HIFK's trademark and maybe they're trying to get it back, but even their last title in 2011 wasn't won with that kind of hockey.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Well, my favorite team in the NHL for the past 4 or 5 years has been the St. Louis Blues and I like that they are a young physical squad that plays a defense first game

How about Espoo Blues then?

They're a gritty, hardworking team which has traditionally relied on local talent. They have a strong youth system, which churns out high-quality players consistently.

A couple of seasons ago, they made history after being the first team to come back from a 3-0 playoff deficit to win the series. They were the last team to qualify for the playoffs that season and were facing KalPa, the regular season winners, which made the victory even more triumphant.

As an added bonus, they have the smartest jerseys in the league.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Oulun Kärpät

The dynasty of 2000 decade, the biggest ansexiest, biggestand the most beautiful team in SM-liiga. They have most money, best cheerleaders and prettiest logo. Their fans are the most intelligent hockey gurus and really nice people overall.

Of course Kärpät is the fastest team and has the best players, we had some good goalies in the past like Rinne, Backstrom and Thomas. Many teams are afraid of our physical play, specially JOkerit and Hifk

I know a true homer when I see one, but still got to answer that Kärpät has horrible jerseys (too much adds). Same is for Kalpa sadly these days, thought.

The brand isn't what it used to be. Playing rough used to be HIFK's trademark and maybe they're trying to get it back, but even their last title in 2011 wasn't won with that kind of hockey.

I think they still have it. The 2011 were special adn they had that kind of players, like both Granlunds, Peltonen and Pesonen in the team in the same time.. Today, having Rage Summanen as a coach will help the brand hockey.. now they look like the more traditional HIFK. And they even boutht that Canadian enforcer that's career is based on fights, so they're not trying to get rid of their Brand.

JyP is a team that play defensive and trapish hockey. We KalPa fans love to diss / call them Jyväskylä tractors because of their stupid sponsor.

But they got almost NHL rink this season (for comparing NHL rink is 26m wide). They had regullar Hybrid untill now, but now they have 27m. It's almost NHL rink. It's interesting to see how do they play, does it affect their style. I fear that small rink is even easier to play trap, thought, but it makes it interesting and adds physicality in the same time. I wish more teams went into hybrid or even to that almost NHL, why not NHL scale. The teams can decide the rink size themselves in Finland so you see almost NHL rinks, Finnish rinks or Hybrids and classic big European rinks.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
JyP is a team that play defensive and trapish hockey. We KalPa fans love to diss / call them Jyväskylä tractors because of their stupid sponsor.

But they got almost NHL rink this season (for comparing NHL rink is 26m wide). They had regullar Hybrid untill now, but now they have 27m. It's almost NHL rink. It's interesting to see how do they play, does it affect their style. I fear that small rink is even easier to play trap, thought, but it makes it interesting and adds physicality in the same time. I wish more teams went into hybrid or even to that almost NHL, why not NHL scale. The teams can decide the rink size themselves in Finland so you see almost NHL rinks, Finnish rinks or Hybrids and classic big European rinks.

I'd still like too see a source for this, I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere except one poster here (who also failed to provide a source and seems to have been banned).

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
SaiPa

Former coach described the playing style as eteläkarjalainen kusipääkiekko. In English: South Karelian piss-head hockey.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Traditional HIFK with 10 foreigners in the team? hmmm nope. And IMO one goon doesn't make them again the "brand".

Nationality of players make some diffenrence since when? We're talking about the style the teams play. You can play "traditional hifk style" with any nationality, with 0 finns. I've never been into thing that teams should play with their own juniors. Juniors shall raise if they are good enough, playing with your own guys does't specially warm my heart. I think if they play physical hockey that is common to their reputation, the nationalities do not matter.

Well, maybe you know better, are HIFK fans? gues HIFK is not HIFK anymore, but bunch of softer guys.. I'm not really their fan anyway, but HIFK's reputation is common knowledge.

I'd still like too see a source for this, I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere except one poster here (who also failed to provide a source and seems to have been banned).

Ok, I read the same post but I just thought it would be true. Doesn't sound too credible in that case, must check somewhere what is the size of the new rink.. Wouldn't be suprised, as many team have used 28m.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ok, I read the same post but I just thought it would be true. Doesn't sound too credible in that case, must check somewhere what is the size of the new rink.. Wouldn't be suprised, as many team have used 28m.

I checked JYP section at Jatkoaika and tried Google, there's no mention anywhere of changing the rink size.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
We're talking about the style the teams play. You can play "traditional hifk style" with any nationality, with 0 finns.
Yes, but imo their roster ain't suited for the style. At least when I have seen them playing twice this preseason. But time will tell. At least yesterday's derby was physical with good clean hits from both side.

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012
Lukko:
Sympathetic club from smallest city(38000) in Liiga. Has resources to fight title every year but for some reason success doesn´t come, ok bronze 2011 but only time they were champions was 1963.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Espoo Blues. They're the St. Louis of Lüga, and not only name-wise. They play a hard-working, gritty style but they also traditionally have some skilled playmakers in the mix (Kim Hirschovits this year). Interesting prospects include Miro Aaltonen (20 years old, drafted #177 overall by Anaheim in 2013) who scored a hat-trick in the season opener today. He's a very small but very fast and skilled forward, think Nathan Gerbe perhaps. Another interesting rookie is Niklas Tikkinen (drafted 148th overall by Phoenix in 2012). He's a forward converted into a D-man in juniors. While he's still quite raw and not very good defensively, he is one to keep an eye for.

Blues could be considered the annual underdogs of the Lüga. While they had a couple of great seasons in the late 90s and 00s, they have never won the league championship despite being in the finals twice. They've also had some financial issues lately, but things are looking good in Espoo this season. Yes, their goaltending still remains as somewhat of a question mark with Mikko Koskinen and Lars Volden as their primary tandem, but they are a team which never loses due to a lack of effort. Hard work, that's the style of hockey that's played in Espoo.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
^^ Blues needs better lighting in their arena, it was too darkish to watch their game from telly. Their fan section is smallish but were quite loud. Nice to see that.

Edit. Norrena in IS
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-1288598960114.html

Jää oli äärettömän huonossa kunnossa ja valot olivat kentällä surkeat. Siellä oli todella pimeää. Suorastaan luokattomat olosuhteet

Last edited:

Petskuta

May 15, 2011
I thought I'd put together something to "identify" each team. I don't know that much about playing styles being trademarks of teams or franchise players, but usually you can find something that creates an identity to a club.

Ässät
A team with a lot of tradition but less success. Even if they aren't winning, there's usually a strong sense of unity in form of the logo, the heart of spades. When there's success, it usually creates a huge boom, like last spring when they suprisingly won the championship for the first time in over 3 decades. A heated rivalry with Lukko, the neighbors.

Blues
A team that seems to be always playing second fiddle to the other two Helsinkei metropolitan area teams. Recently there's been glimpses of greatness in form of some finals appearances in the 2000's, but Blues still seems to be looking for its place in the shadow of HIFK and Jokerit.

HIFK
One of the most followed teams and the other team from capital Helsinki. Known for the always intriguing rivalry with Jokerit. Maybe the less succesful of the two, but still an established franchise with a long history. Won the whole show in 2011, before that, championships had been scarce.

HPK
One of the more lower-profile teams from a not-so-enthusiastic market. There maybe hasn't been a strong sense of identity with them during the years, but still they've silently been a good playoff performer in the last decade with some 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Ilves
The team with arguably the most tradition in the league. Comparable to maybe the Maple Leafs in the NHL - a lot of past success and history, but little to no trophies in the last 30 years. Still the most championships of all teams, if you count the wins from the unofficial SM-sarja before 1975. A local rivalry with the other Tampere team, Tappara, is strong (although recent struggles of both teams on and off the ice have hampered the excitement).

Jokerit
The "posterboy" team of the league. The wealthiest team with the most modern arena and a team from the capital city, backed by the famous businessman, Hjallis Harkimo, ensures their place in the headlines. Even with constant high expectations, they rarely have had the top team, with most of their success coming from a 90's string of championships. Bound to move to the KHL for next season, which has created more stir.

JYP
A relatively young franchise (at least success-wise), but they've steadily become the most constant performer of the 2000's. A couple of championships and finals appearances in the past 5-6 years have lifted them to the peak of their powers. One of the perennial contenders of the today's league.

KalPa
A long history was shadowed by a 10-year spell in the second-tier league, Mestis. They made a comeback, though, and for the last couple of years, have changed from a bottom-placing club to a succesful contender, yet unable to rise to championship status. Some strong traditions with this team as well, but I don't see such a frantic following.

Kärpät
Another team who rose up the ranks to the top league after a long stint in Mestis in the turn of the millennium. The only difference is they were able to turn their potential into a dynasty of the early 2000's, winning 4 championships in 5 seasons. The northernmost club with a solid fanbase and strong finances. Known for the use of many Czech-born players.

Lukko
A similar club to their neighboring rival, Ässät: a small-town team with tradition, but not much success and a crappy arena. Recently they've made some splashes with playoff runs and a hockey boom in the smallest town in the league, but no more than that. Always creates excitement with their rivalry, though.

Pelicans
The youngest franchise, founded in 1996. Not much going for this club at all in the recent years. Usually regarded as the perennial doormat. They made a run to the finals a couple of seasons ago, but Pelicans have had a rough time gaining momentum and an identity.

SaiPa
In a similar situation as Pelicans. No success at all in the team's history, and not a strong identity, if there is one. There's always hope for improvement, though.

Tappara
The other traditional team from Tampere, with the second most succesful track record in SM-Liiga history. A long history and a rivalry with Ilves, often going head to head. The last couple of decades they've been the top dog in Tampere, with success coming more often.

TPS
The another 90's dynasty and overall the winningest team in SM-liiga history with 10 championships since 1976. Has a steady foundation in Turku, although it hasn't been all fun and games for them in the 2000's with uneven performing with highs and lows both on and off the ice. TPS has always been the club that's constantly producing home-grown stars that have been able to make the jump to North America.

Hope this helped getting you on the map. I can't say I'm 100% right with everything, but at least you probably got some idea of what's going on.

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Ässät
A team with a lot of tradition but less success. Even if they aren't winning, there's usually a strong sense of unity in form of the logo, the heart of spades. When there's success, it usually creates a huge boom, like last spring when they suprisingly won the championship for the first time in over 3 decades. A heated rivalry with Lukko, the neighbors.
That is still the image a lot of people probably have even though the team actually has gathered the second most points in the regular season when looking at the last three seasons combined. Reasons why they could still be seen as a underdog of sort is because before these last three seasons the team had only made it into the quarterfinals once, when the team made it all the way to the finals in 05-06. That season saved the organization, since the organization was in a horrible financial situation. Also can't forget that the team was also a post away from getting relegated to Mestis just a couple of seasons before the recent success.

The style of play is probably a bit more physical and agressive than the average team in Liiga especially at home, but the team has had more success overall as the visiting team and actually has been the best team outside of home during the last three seasons. At home they have made a habit of losing to underdogs even in the recent good years. A competitive team nowadays that has had recent success also in bringing in rather unknown/young/raw guys with potential and then shipping them to the KHL/NHL after they've had personal success here.

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
I thought I'd put together something to "identify" each team. I don't know that much about playing styles being trademarks of teams or franchise players, but usually you can find something that creates an identity to a club.

Ässät

Blues
A team that seems to be always playing second fiddle to the other two Helsinkei metropolitan area teams. Recently there's been glimpses of greatness in form of some finals appearances in the 2000's, but Blues still seems to be looking for its place in the shadow of HIFK and Jokerit.

HIFK
One of the most followed teams and the other team from capital Helsinki. Known for the always intriguing rivalry with Jokerit. Maybe the less succesful of the two, but still an established franchise with a long history. Won the whole show in 2011, before that, championships had been scarce.

HPK
One of the more lower-profile teams from a not-so-enthusiastic market. There maybe hasn't been a strong sense of identity with them during the years, but still they've silently been a good playoff performer in the last decade with some 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Ilves
The team with arguably the most tradition in the league. Comparable to maybe the Maple Leafs in the NHL - a lot of past success and history, but little to no trophies in the last 30 years. Still the most championships of all teams, if you count the wins from the unofficial SM-sarja before 1975. A local rivalry with the other Tampere team, Tappara, is strong (although recent struggles of both teams on and off the ice have hampered the excitement).

Jokerit
The "posterboy" team of the league. The wealthiest team with the most modern arena and a team from the capital city, backed by the famous businessman, Hjallis Harkimo, ensures their place in the headlines. Even with constant high expectations, they rarely have had the top team, with most of their success coming from a 90's string of championships. Bound to move to the KHL for next season, which has created more stir.

JYP
A relatively young franchise (at least success-wise), but they've steadily become the most constant performer of the 2000's. A couple of championships and finals appearances in the past 5-6 years have lifted them to the peak of their powers. One of the perennial contenders of the today's league.

KalPa
A long history was shadowed by a 10-year spell in the second-tier league, Mestis. They made a comeback, though, and for the last couple of years, have changed from a bottom-placing club to a succesful contender, yet unable to rise to championship status. Some strong traditions with this team as well, but I don't see such a frantic following.

Kärpät
Another team who rose up the ranks to the top league after a long stint in Mestis in the turn of the millennium. The only difference is they were able to turn their potential into a dynasty of the early 2000's, winning 4 championships in 5 seasons. The northernmost club with a solid fanbase and strong finances. Known for the use of many Czech-born players.

Lukko
A similar club to their neighboring rival, Ässät: a small-town team with tradition, but not much success and a crappy arena. Recently they've made some splashes with playoff runs and a hockey boom in the smallest town in the league, but no more than that. Always creates excitement with their rivalry, though.

Pelicans
The youngest franchise, founded in 1996. Not much going for this club at all in the recent years. Usually regarded as the perennial doormat. They made a run to the finals a couple of seasons ago, but Pelicans have had a rough time gaining momentum and an identity.

SaiPa
In a similar situation as Pelicans. No success at all in the team's history, and not a strong identity, if there is one. There's always hope for improvement, though.

Tappara
The other traditional team from Tampere, with the second most succesful track record in SM-Liiga history. A long history and a rivalry with Ilves, often going head to head. The last couple of decades they've been the top dog in Tampere, with success coming more often.

TPS
The another 90's dynasty and overall the winningest team in SM-liiga history with 10 championships since 1976. Has a steady foundation in Turku, although it hasn't been all fun and games for them in the 2000's with uneven performing with highs and lows both on and off the ice. TPS has always been the club that's constantly producing home-grown stars that have been able to make the jump to North America.

Hope this helped getting you on the map. I can't say I'm 100% right with everything, but at least you probably got some idea of what's going on.

Forgot to say thanks. This was a pretty awesome write-up

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
So, you have already chosen your favourite team, not?
Not yet. I need to actually watch a few games before deciding who to follow (which will be hard to do I've been told). This was just to give me an idea of what to expect while also making sure I dont commit to a team based on a few abnormal games

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lukko
Explain more? you mean the seat areas? they renovated the arena couple years ago. Liiga has worse "arenas" than Lukko's.

Lukko is one of the wealthiest teams in Liiga, but can't get success.

Petskuta

May 15, 2011
Explain more? you mean the seat areas? they renovated the arena couple years ago. Liiga has worse "arenas" than Lukko's.

Lukko is one of the wealthiest teams in Liiga, but can't get success.

I've never liked the overall feel of the place with the blue and yellow seats. Even though it may seat more people than some other venues, it always seems really confined in the TV broadcasts. But yeah, I've never actually been there in person so I might be mistaken.

Maybe it has something to do with the combination of the different-colored seats and the beautiful Lukko jerseys.. :sarcasm:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Not yet. I need to actually watch a few games before deciding who to follow (which will be hard to do I've been told). This was just to give me an idea of what to expect while also making sure I dont commit to a team based on a few abnormal games

Well, there shoul be only few genuine options for you:

1) HIFK for natural reasons: HIFK is HIFK.
2) Tappara - who wouldn't have a soft spot for this team. The Carrot pants is just a great club and team.
3) Saipa - the most sympathetic team in Liiga. Regular bottom dwellers have found new confidence and drive recently and could make the play-offs second time in a row.
4) Ässät - well, you either love or hate them. Blue collar hockey for the taste of its fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad