Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Montreal Screwjob

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
G:
We likely have 36% chance of picking top3 come end of the season. At worst we are picking top5 unless a miracle happens.
We didn't get shutout...

B: ... oh wait, NHL disagrees cause reasons.

U: The Buffalo Sabres as a whole - again.
Bunch of low quality perimeter shots seems to be what Housley gameplan actually is, I'm sure that gets us to playoff some day, maybe after another 4 top5 draft picks cause then talent would simply outdo game strategy stupidity....and then come back crashing down a la Oilers.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Housley shuffling the lineup coming off the best game of the year was needless, and his offensive zone stuff at ES and +1 has been poor all season, but I'll put this loss on talent before coaching for a change.

We had the zone time for most of the game, but the bottom six was the only unit penetrating all the way to the net. O'Reilly got housed by Patches, and Plekanec largely kept Eichel out of the paint. They need to win those matchups, especially with Weber out.

Generally, the team needs to scrap anything that involves execution at the defensive blueline and use more flip plays and indirect plays into space to clear the zone and set up foot races. While there were a few instances that made me go "ah, this is Phil Housley hockey," where defensemen made really good heads-up plays that set up controlled zone entries, they also left a ton of meat on the bone trying to carry the puck out of the zone.

Roster-wise, all of Cris, Griffith, & Moulson should be down, and we should be rotating fresh AHL dudes + Nolan into the bottom three lineup spots. What's crazy is:

Smith-Girgensons/ERod/Larsson-Okposo
GEL-GEL-Fasching

Would be our most talented bottom six of the season and it wouldn't be close. I'm not sure why this staff doesn't like Fasching, when they're big on shot volume and he's one of the organization's better guys around the net.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Losing the goal is more "meh" than "screwjob". Watching the replay, they had a lot of opportunity and didn't get it done. They can't seem to get to the net and that has become the theme almost every night to their o-zone failures.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Watching Kane pump his fist while lying on the ice after thinking he scored with 30 seconds left made me want to reach my hand through the screen and punch him in the face. Who celebrates in that situation? Did he honestly think the most offensively challenged team in the league stood any chance of potting 2 more goals in the next 30 seconds to send the game into OT? I'm probably over-interpreting the moment, but I can honestly say I've never been more put off by the guy's self absorbed approach to the game.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm no Kane fan, but I honestly thought it was a sign of relief than anything, they had thrown a ton at Price with nothing to show for it, and finally one of our 60+ shot attempts was flubbed. If you wanna criticize the team celebrating not getting shut out that's one thing, but I really don't think that was a "me first" deal.

Reactions: cybresabre

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Was it goaltender interference.... or was it not goaltender interference?????

Toronto always knows best!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4