The Monster

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
There is no sticky situation in Detroit.

Of course not, Holland is going to do whatever he has been planning to do, and whatever makes the most sense to him. I only mentioned "on this board" because there are some really anti-Howard posters on here, and some very pro-Mrazek posters. If Gus's future somehow muddles with either of these camp's wishes there will be a backlash on here. That is all I meant. There is never any actual "drama" in Detroit Red Wings hockey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't think it will take that long for Mrazek to overtake Jimmy once they're both on the team. It would be nice given Howard's contract, but I think Mrazek will win out sooner rather than later. Believe Babcock is also pretty high on him, which should make things interesting if Babs stays here.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Of course not, Holland is going to do whatever he has been planning to do, and whatever makes the most sense to him. I only mentioned "on this board" because there are some really anti-Howard posters on here, and some very pro-Mrazek posters. If Gus's future somehow muddles with either of these camp's wishes there will be a backlash on here. That is all I meant. There is never any actual "drama" in Detroit Red Wings hockey.
Ah, gotcha, misread it. I do not think there will be a backlash and most understand Monster has no future with the Red Wings. Again, happy for all that he has done but it's just not in the cards for him and the Red Wings

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ah, gotcha, misread it. I do not think there will be a backlash and most understand Monster has no future with the Red Wings. Again, happy for all that he has done but it's just not in the cards for him and the Red Wings

I feel the same way, and I hope he has success elsewhere. He seems like a good teammate from the limited media things I've seen and read about him. I feel bad he had to start his NHL career in Toronto :laugh:

I feel like there are a lot of teams with either a weak starter, or a back up that he is likely better than. I think he could catch on in a lot of places.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I feel the same way, and I hope he has success elsewhere. He seems like a good teammate from the limited media things I've seen and read about him. I feel bad he had to start his NHL career in Toronto :laugh:

I feel like there are a lot of teams with either a weak starter, or a back up that he is likely better than. I think he could catch on in a lot of places.
He had a rough NHL start in many ways. Heart issues, a goalie coach trying to change his style etc.

I watched him in the SHL before he came over and he was dominant. Last season was the first time you could start to see him look like that guy again since coming over.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
It's really hard for me to get a good read on Monster. He's so unorthodox and his flailing around scares me every time he plays. But hard to argue with his record.

I just want Jimmy to perform well enough that our backup is an after thought. I get your premise that Mrazek is pretty good bait and really feel Jimmy is key to this.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I feel bad he had to start his NHL career in Toronto :laugh:

"The best Swedish goalie since Lundqvist," they said. I remember fans of other teams being devastated when he went to Toronto.

I'm not convinced Monster could handle a starting job. His style is prone to huge swings in effectiveness. But when he was called on in the playoffs last year, he did great, so it's hard to give him too much grief.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Actually, there has been. And ironically (or perhaps not), it came when there was a gross mishandling of the goaltending situation. Please tell me y'all remember the Cujo-Hasek debacle.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Actually, there has been. And ironically (or perhaps not), it came when there was a gross mishandling of the goaltending situation. Please tell me y'all remember the Cujo-Hasek debacle.

:laugh: How could I forget

Okay, let me amend my post to "very rarely in the last several decades"

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
"The best Swedish goalie since Lundqvist," they said. I remember fans of other teams being devastated when he went to Toronto.

I'm not convinced Monster could handle a starting job. His style is prone to huge swings in effectiveness. But when he was called on in the playoffs last year, he did great, so it's hard to give him too much grief.

I guess he could make it. As someone else said, sometimes you get the impression that he isn't really focused, when being up in front with a couple of goals.
But if it's a close game, he shows what he's capable of.

Aug 6, 2012
Mrazek has a chance to be one of the next great (top five) goaltenders in the NHL. I wouldn't trade him for really anything unless the offer is insane. Watching him play is a treat and the guy has unreal potential.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has the worst angle control of really any goalie I can think of at the NHL level. I don't care if he keeps winning, but don't ask me to be excited about watching him play. Still if the results keep coming I will be happy about that in what is his final season in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad