The Monster

Mule93

Mar 3, 2014
JoGu. It could be argued (I would agree) that without him, the playoff streak would be a thing of the past. Now he's kicked off this season with a fairly solid shutout. With Mrazek coming through and looking very promising, the question is do we lose JoGu to bring in a promising prospect, or resign Monster for the very reasonable prices we keep getting him for. Mrazek is some pretty good trade bait. Is Mrazek > Monster? If we signed Monster for the rest of Howies contract and have a locked down G position. That would give time for a new young G to come through. Thoughts?

Edit : Monster is UFA end of this season. Presumably to bring Mrazek through.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Our goaltending could be a sticky issue on this board moving forward. I feel like all guys you've mentioned have large (and vocal) camps.

I think at the end of the day Holland will just let Gustavsson walk, because he likely has the least value to the team. Howard has shown that he can be a good starter in the NHL. His numbers have shown that (for the most part). A team who needs a veteran G would likely find him an appealing trade target.

And Mrazek's ceiling is sky high at the moment. We aren't really sure if we're getting a 1B, a starter, or a top 5/10 kind of player in him. It seems like he could back up Howard today and probably challenge him, but just how good is he in the NHL? I think it is better to wait and see than to force a trade, in this case.

Gustavsson is a guy that can be a backup/ 1B, and I think he will likely make a career out of that. I doubt he will ever find a home as a starter in the NHL, but a team that has average to good defensive play will make him look worth his contracts from here on out.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Gustavsson is not a good Goalie,he's just not

I mean....there's worse ones out there but even among backups he's probably closer to the worst than the best

and he has a hard to time even staying healthy to boot

Gustavsson put up a .907 save percentage last year and that was the BEST he's ever done

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Gustavsson is not a good Goalie,he's just not

I mean....there's worse ones out there but even among backups he's probably closer to the worst than the best

and he has a hard to time even staying healthy to boot

Gustavsson put up a .907 save percentage last year and that was the BEST he's ever done

He played on some truly bad Leafs teams for most of his career, though

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I find Gustavsson to be very underrated around here. Bringing up his sv% doesn't matter, the vast majority of the goals he allowed last year were not ones that hurt us. It's like he switches off mentally when the team is up by 2-3 goals and he'll let some softies in, but when it's a close game he's a brick wall. Or at least that's how it was last year. He won us games and that's all that matters, especially for a backup.

It doesn't really make sense to keep going with him after this season though. If he has another solid season he should have no problem finding work in the NHL but we need to bring up Mrazek next season and start seeing what impact he can have.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like Gus. The way he stops pucks sure ain't pretty, but it is effective. Mrazek is either or starter or he's not. Howard is a goalie that needs to start lots of games to stay mentally focused, I don't think Howard would make a good backup or a good 1b.

Mrazek will need to stay in the minors until he runs out of waiver options or trade him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think people are forgetting how truly bad the Wings' defense was last season. Howard's stats weren't much better. I think if Gustavsson had started his career with Detroit instead of a crud team like Toronto he'd be a very different goaltender.

Gustavsson's Red Wings career record so far is 19-7. You can't really ask for more from your backup. The team, more often then not, gets the W when he's in net.

I do think this will be his last year with Detroit, though. If he has a great season I could see another team paying nice money for his services. If he has a bad year I bet he'll go back to Sweden.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Watching him saturday night, I was blown away by how much he struggled to catch the puck. He would get his glove on it, but he couldnt catch it save his life. Had me stressed out all game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's sketchy, but he wins.

If I had to come up for a slogan for Monster, that would be it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Even if you reach the conclusion that you want to go with Jimmy long term, this needs to be Monster's last season. We will be suppressing Mrazek's trade value by leaving him in GR too much longer. I prefer letting Jimmy and Mrazek fight it out before making a decision on who to trade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even if you reach the conclusion that you want to go with Jimmy long term, this needs to be Monster's last season. We will be suppressing Mrazek's trade value by leaving him in GR too much longer. I prefer letting Jimmy and Mrazek fight it out before making a decision on who to trade.

Agreed.

Should be no scenario where Howard and Mrazek aren't 1a and 1b next year. I like Jimmy, but I don't think it will take long for Mrazek to steal the show.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
No. We aren't trading our best goaltending prospect in I don't even know how long just so we can hold on to Gus. Back-ups playing well is nothing new. Its a hell of a lot easier to be the unexpected hero than it is to be the go-to starter. Gus stepping up for an injured Howard is not something that is going to happen annually. He's simply not that technically sound of a goaltender and has very bad habits as well.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Looks like Howard will be taken off the 48 hour IR. Do you start Howard or The Monster on Tuesday?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Watching him saturday night, I was blown away by how much he struggled to catch the puck. He would get his glove on it, but he couldnt catch it save his life. Had me stressed out all game.

No kidding I was at the game and noticed this as well. With Howard playing well, Monster is fine as a backup. But when you have Mrazek, one of the top goalie prospects in the league ready to make the jump to the NHL you absolutely let the Monster walk. Mrazek looked better than Howard and Monster in the preseason.

I homestly think once hes up in the NHL, hes going to challenge Howard right away for the starters job. Were gonig to have a Lu/Schneider situation if Holland doesnt handle it well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If I'm not mistaken (capgeek feature not working for some reason) Mrazek loses waiver exemption next year, so I don't see a situation where he isn't on the team next year. Don't think there's a need to worry.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

he's always like that.

If I'm not mistaken (capgeek feature not working for some reason) Mrazek loses waiver exemption next year, so I don't see a situation where he isn't on the team next year. Don't think there's a need to worry.

he has one more year after this one. goalies have 1 more year in this case than skaters, that's why jurco loses exemption but mrazek doesn't.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Happy for what he did last year to keep the Wings alive but he is not a good goaltender. He does so many fundamental things wrong he'll never be a reliable starter. Don't give me wellllllllllll look at Hasek, he was unorthodox. Hasek is an outlier and arguably one of the best goalies of all time. Monster is not arguably one of the best goalies of all time.

There is no sticky situation in Detroit. Jimmy is light years better than Monster and Mrazek can possibly be light years better than Jimmy, but that will take some time. Mrazek will back-up next year and get some experience and in 2-3 years down the road challenge Jimmy for #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad