The moment that nearly destroyed your hockey interest

toastman344*

I cannot honestly say that anything has ever come close to ending my interest in Hockey...However, Team Canada's 8-1 loss to the Russians in the 1981 finals of the Canada Cup was definitely the all time low point...

It felt like the Russians had taken over OUR GAME !

That was a bitter, bitter pill to swallow...

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Jeremy Jacobs has certainly done his damnedest to destroy my love for hockey but he hasn't quite managed it- yet.

Blowing up the team prior to the lockout was just the latest of the worst, we are just now beginning to recover from it. Prior to that, nickel & dimeing great players like Adam Oates and in general refusing to spend what it would take to put us over the top for a Cup (88 & 90).

With the death of Bill Wirtz, Jeremy Jacobs is now the undisputed #1 worst owner in the NHL.

But I still love my Bruins... :bruins

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
Seeing the Red Wings beat the Hurricanes in the 2002 SCF and the Canes bombing the next two years.

Moving to California and spending my first year at a boarding school up north in the mountains. No TV, the internet sucked, no newspaper, I was pretty much isolated from hockey. Plus, with the Canes seemingly on the other side of the planet at that point, I just kind of gave up on them and hockey for a year. I came back home in the middle of the Buffalo series in 2006, followed the Canes the rest of the Playoffs, and became a fan again. I also became a Shark's fan during this timeframe because the show "Shark Byte" was on FSN and Thornton's numbers were amazing.

If the Sabres had won the Cup last year, or the year before that, my interest in hockey wouldn't have been destroyed, but I would've been so disgusted that I'd refuse to watch hockey for a long time

Last edited:

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
The Canadiens trading Patrick Roy.

It took me a long time to get over that. It started a downward spiral with this team that they are only now beginning to come out of.

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
wings losing in the 1st round in 2006. sure they had some early exits, but at that point it was like "what the **** is going on????" i didnt watch half of last season, i thought we were done for.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
i can actually say a few since i grew being a Isles/Hawks fan.

watching JR,Chelly,Belfour all leave ChiTown...
Dollar Bill Wirtz drove alot of Hawks fans with him not letting games be televised.

watching Turgeon leave the Island....Spanos nearly ruining the team.
Mike Milbury's antics & bad trades...

Its been tough though..the Lockout hurt the most.

Klaus*

Can any of you guys recall a moment that, if it happened, would have destroyed your interest in hockey?

Here's mine:

if the Oilers won it all in 2006, I would have been beyond devastated.

There will never be another hockey team that I will hate more than that 2006 Oilers team.

For two months, I was the world's biggest Edmonton Oilers hater. I loathed that team of Pronger, Roloson, Smyth and Peca beyond rational dislike.

I hated them to the point where I would have punched Chris Pronger if I saw him on the street. THAT is how much Edmonton got unde my skin.

THANK GOD Carolina won that series.

Otherwise, my love of hockey could have been severed thanks to...

A. The biggest bandwagon crowd ever: those Oilers crowds... just a big bandwagon who jumped on!

B. So many breaks went their way: see Games 3 and 4 of the San Jose series, games 3 and 5 against Carolina.

C. Not having to face superior teams in Dallas or Calgary (both knocked out early)

D. They were a freaking EIGHT SEED: I refuse to belief they were that good.

E. They benefitted from Vancouver's freefall.

That almost destroyed me.

What would have destroyed your hockey interest?

What a pathetic post.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There's never been one. Baseball had a moment. Basketball had a moment. Hockey has always been entertaining with me. I suffered through Messier taking over the Canucks (my first year watching hockey actually), some of my favourite players (for some reason I loved Sillinger, Weekes, Muckalt, and Scatchard) being traded. Horrible games and bad drafting but I've stuck with them and have been rewarded.

False Witness

Mar 1, 2007
Nothing. I am just not that finicky. Hockey has always been part of my life for as long as I can remember. No one incident could or ever would change that. The lockout was a good thing for me. During the lockout I started attending OHL games here in Sault Ste Marie. I have since become a season ticket holder and enjoy junior hockey as much as I do the NHL.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Let me guess. Oilers fan?

Probably . But that doesn't change the fact that Bundy's post is terrible .
I have to assume that Mr Bundy just started watching hockey last year if that's the worst moment he can conjure up in his memory .

I'll go with the poster who said Nagano . It was even worse watching live .

Al Bundy*

Probably . But that doesn't change the fact that Bundy's post is terrible .
I have to assume that Mr Bundy just started watching hockey last year if that's the worst moment he can conjure up in his memory .

I'll go with the poster who said Nagano . It was even worse watching live .

First off, I have watched hockey for a long time. I only joined HFBoards shortly ago.

As for my post- I am not an Oiler fan and I REALLY couldn't stand them when they got on that ridiculous hot streak.

Just the thought of an eighth-seed winning a Stanley Cup- my GOD, that would have been awful for me to swallow.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Other than your personal distaste for the Oilers and their players, what makes the Oilers Cinderella playoff run so much worse than other past playoff runs?

Yes, the Oilers finished in 8th place with a record of 41-28-13 (95 pts), but they only had a decent goaltender since the trade deadline. If they had Roloson for the entire season, they probably would have had a few more wins and finished a few points higher in the standings - it's even plausible that they challenge the Flames for 1st in the division.

What about some of the other playoff teams? The 2004 Flames finished the regular season with 94 points, 6th in the Western Conference, and lost game 7 of the finals - don't forget they qualified for the playoffs for the first time in SEVEN years. The ‘03 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim? 95 points but they were a team named after Disney movie with those bad purple jerseys, and they had missed the playoffs the previous 3 years. How about the ’96 Panthers? A third year team from Miami, first playoff appearance, and fans that throw plastic rats on the ice when they score. And finally the ’91 North Stars, if they would have won, we would have a sub .500 champion, finishing the regular season 27-39-14 (68 pts). They pushed the Penguins to 6 games so they had a shot of winning.

This isn’t meant to disrespect any of the past Stanley Cup finalists, my point is that there have been other potential Stanley Cup Champions that could have been just as “devastating” (insert a little sarcasm) as the Oilers.

But back to the topic. Had the Oilers been relocated to Houston, it probably would have killed my interest in the NHL.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
For me its Patrik Elias scoring late in the 3rd to give the Devils a 2-1 lead in game 7 of the 2000 conference finals, completing their 3-1 comeback and eventually leading them to a cup. On top of it it marked the end for Eric Lindros in Philly, who was my favorite player.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
losing the Jets moved the NHL from being essential to just being a pasttime of bandwagon jumping when the mood strikes me.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Jeremy Jacobs has certainly done his damnedest to destroy my love for hockey but he hasn't quite managed it- yet.

Blowing up the team prior to the lockout was just the latest of the worst, we are just now beginning to recover from it. Prior to that, nickel & dimeing great players like Adam Oates and in general refusing to spend what it would take to put us over the top for a Cup (88 & 90).

With the death of Bill Wirtz, Jeremy Jacobs is now the undisputed #1 worst owner in the NHL.

But I still love my Bruins... :bruins

He most certainly is the worst owner at this point.

The moments that ruined hockey for me?

In 1982-83: 11 players had over 100 points(Gretzky had 196). 31 players had over 80 points.
In 1983-84: 11 players had over 100 points(Gretzky had over 200). 41 players had over 80 points.
In 1984-85: 16 players had over 100 points(Gretzky had over 200). 35 players had over 80 points.
In 1985-86: 13 players had over 100 points(1 player had over 200). 30 players had over 80 points.
In 1986-87: 7 players had over 100 points(Gretzky had 183), 21 players had over 80 points.
In 1987-88: 8 players had over 100 points. 30 players had over 80 points.
In 1988-89: 9 players had over 100 points. 34 players had over 80 points.
In 1989-90: 12 players had over 100 points. 36 players had over 80 points
In 1990-91:10 players had over 100 points. 29 players had over 80 points.
In 1991-92: 9 players had over 100 points. 28 players had over 80 points.
In 1992-93: 20 players had over 100 points. 47 players had over 80 points.
In 1993-94: 8 players had over 100 points. 35 players had over 80 points.
In 1994-95: Lockout half season
In 1995-96: 11 players had over 100 points. 33 players had over 80 points
In 1996-97: 2 players had over 100 points. 19 players had over 80 points.
In 1997-98: 1 player had over 100 points. 9 players had above 80 points.
In 1998-99: 3 players had over 100 points. 12 players had over 80 points
In 1999-2000: 0 players had over 100 points. 9 players had over 80 points
In 2000-01: 2 players had over 100 points. 20 players had over 80 points.
In 2001-02: 0 players had over 100 points. 4 players had over 80 points.
In 2002-03: 3 players had over 100 points. 14 players had over 80 points.
In 2003-04: 0 players had over 100 points. 8 players had over 80 points.
In 2004-05:Lockout Year

In 2005-06: 7 players had over 100 points. 26 players had over 80 points.
In 2006-07: 7 players had over 100 points. 28 players had over 80 points.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
For me...nothing in the NHL has done that.

However, when I was 13, playing AA, and had to be on the ice 6 days a week, have 4 hour practices, and travel hours for games I was damn near ready to quit. Hockey had completely lost its "fun" factor and the only thing I enjoyed was the outdoor rink.

I never tried out for high level competitive hockey (above comp B where the schedule is lighter and the area of the league smaller....usually no more than an hour drive for away games and no more than 6 hours a week on the ice) again, and to me it was the right decision.

Minor hockey politics almost ruined hockey for me as well. Seeing coaches let go because they didnt do things as a few parents wanted, seeing Officials let off the hook for grabbing a player by the throat and shoving him into the boards (yes, this is an incident which happened on my team, and which I went to many hearings for...all of which were conducted very poorly and with absolutely no support for the player involved...only the ref....the result of the hearing...the ref was suspended 3 games and was not allowed to ref our team again that year...which no one though was adequate as the ref had been banned from 6 other districts...but it was an old boys club type scenario.....and heres the kicker....he reffed our next game....before his 3 game suspension was up and despite the fact that he was not allowed to be on the ice with our team). A coach telling my team at the end of the year party that if any of us tried out for A (the higher level) we would automatically be cut from his team. Two of us tried out for A and were told not to come back to his team. Because of him, the A team was unbelievably weak that year, as many of the players from the B team the last year should have been on it.

God I could go on for weeks about all the corrupt **** that happens in minor hockey and keeps kids from developing, advancing, and most importantly having fun.

Last edited:

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
I didn't watch the series either but I did catch the presentation of Lord Stanley. I'll never forget Bettman trying to put a positive spin on the Caps loss - "Washington is now a hockey town". :biglaugh:

no, no, it was hockey city :teach:

capn89*

Sidney Crosby almost ruined my interest in the sport. Not entirely HIM personally, but the fact that everyone acted like he was the second coming of Christ before he'd even done jack **** in the NHL. Now, after some seasons in the books I see him for what he is; a whining, diving, only-offensive-minded little brat. I'll let the jokers enjoy his childish antics while I enjoy watching Mike Richards play in EVERY situation on the ice. Now that's something something something COMPLETE!

mpm26

Aug 25, 2007
Pittsburgh
Sidney Crosby almost ruined my interest in the sport. Not entirely HIM personally, but the fact that everyone acted like he was the second coming of Christ before he'd even done jack **** in the NHL. Now, after some seasons in the books I see him for what he is; a whining, diving, only-offensive-minded little brat. I'll let the jokers enjoy his childish antics while I enjoy watching Mike Richards play in EVERY situation on the ice. Now that's something something something COMPLETE!

IS it the two pgg that he puts up vs the flyers every year that makes you so mad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad