The Misunderstood O6 era

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Accordingly, you're presently informing me the O6 era was unbalanced due to Norris' and Wirtz's negative influences on the American franchises. A number of posters have posited this unbalance (including myself) and you've been vehemently opposed to the idea. At the present moment you appear to be supporting this notion.

The league was definitely unbalanced during the O6 era, and you've finally provided interesting evidence in support of this fact.

View the following threads from years ago:

Maurice Richard was concerned about NHL monopoly in 1951
Montreal Canadiens and historical Cup chances
What is the greatest single-season NHL team ever assembled?
1957-58 NHL Players and Owners Meeting
1960 NHL June Meetings

The evidence you refer to as "interesting" was provided years ago. Seems you missed it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I am not sure what this has to do with the idea that current athletes having a more difficult time separating themselves from their peers moreso than in the past given how advanced training is and how many more people are playing the sport.

That is the crux of the other poster's argument and there is no evidence to support this.

It would appear that a GOAT can appear at any time in any given sport; making a blanket presumption that whoever is the latest candidate for GOAT in any sport is automatically superior to previous GOATs is not reasonable IMO.

So if Bobby Orr appeared today he would be winning the Norris in his second season (at age 19) and an Art Ross in his 4th at age 21?

Highly unlikely, the composition and level of competitiveness in the NHL isn't a constant or even linear type of things it ebbs and flows according to multitude of variables.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pretty close.

You view individual accolades as individual accomplishments.

1976-79 Canadiens,were the last dynasty team where individual accolades were a by-product of team play and success.

The two things, individual play and team success, are two entirely different things though.

Look back at this season Ryan O'Reilly still would have won the Selke and had a career year even if they didn't make the playoffs.

His post season still would have been an excellent one (and still a Conn Smythe worthy performance) had the Blues lost game 7 to the Bruins.

Too often indidual and team success are confused or interlinked around these parts.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So if Bobby Orr appeared today he would be winning the Norris in his second season (at age 19) and an Art Ross in his 4th at age 21?

Highly unlikely, the composition and level of competitiveness in the NHL isn't a constant or even linear type of things it ebbs and flows according to multitude of variables.

Why not? As you say, there is an ebb and flow to things. Maybe Orr's numbers aren't so gaudy but why couldn't he repeat his performances?

Crosby was good enough to win an Art Ross at age 19, McDavid almost did. The best offensive d-men today are putting up pretty good numbers so why wouldn't a GOAT offensive d-man possibly win the Art Ross? Lidstrom won 7 Norrises in a short period of time.

Regardless, there is no reason to think that Orr would not be the clear best d-man if he played today. Or to put it another way, if you had to pick a player who could win a Norris at age 19 in any season/era, the answer has to be overwhelmingly Orr doesn't it? And if you wanted to pick a player to win an Art Ross at age 18/19 in any other season/era, it has to be Wayne.

But I really don't get the infatuation from both sides of this argument with playing the "what if" game. It should be obvious that athletes with more god given talent than their peers and the drive to be the best, will more than likely ascend to their rightful place at the top regardless of how many of their peers are close to their talent level. The will to succeed will propel them to the top. That is my foundation when comparing players from different eras.

I don't have an issue with introducing dynamics such as specific eras or scoring environments that can serve to differentiate players with similar statistical resumes but not to the tune of moving players up and down tiers. E.g. I see Hull, Beliveau, Crosby (as of now), Richard and Jagr as being on the same offensive tier and see no need to introduce an era related argument. Esposito could be in this tier but their is an opinion that his numbers were boosted by playing in a specific era along with a specific player. Maybe Richard's 50 in 50 needs some context given the season that it occurred. I am not against questioning whether the gaudiest numbers the league has ever seen, which came in the 25 year timeframe that saw the league quadruple the # of teams, should be taken at 100% face value.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The two things, individual play and team success, are two entirely different things though.

Look back at this season Ryan O'Reilly still would have won the Selke and had a career year even if they didn't make the playoffs.

His post season still would have been an excellent one (and still a Conn Smythe worthy performance) had the Blues lost game 7 to the Bruins.

Too often indidual and team success are confused or interlinked around these parts.

I agree. Performances relative to your peers on an individual and team basis should be the starting point in any comparison. It will be interesting to how well Crosby can climb the all-time rankings if his regular season resume clearly surpasses players with playoff-heavy resumes.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
So where is this dramatic change from the NHL going from a domestic league to the RSL to the modern NHL and why do so many older players continue to put up elite seasons later in their careers?

There wasn't one dramatic change although the Soviets coming over was a big one. It's the easiest one to point to because the Soviets were a hockey power with many all-time great older and younger players that came over. Again, it made a big difference in the league as we've seen Russian players win nearly every major award since coming over. It made the league deeper in elite talent and brought a new flare and style to the NHL. Huge plus to the league and most who were around really enjoyed that era in the early 90's because guys like Fedorov and Bure were great players and extremely entertaining and it added to what the league already had.

Older players put up elite seasons later in their careers because they are great players. It doesn't point to there being no dramatic changes in the league over time though. Only a silly person would stay someone like Bobby Hull couldn't cut it in today's NHL. One could question if he's stand out as much or he'd "just" be one of the top wingers most seasons.

Common sense would dictate that the talent level of the elite players in the league is pretty consistent.

Where is the starting point of this? Has the talent level of the elite players been constant since 1917? How about before then - has the talent level of the top players in the world been constant since people start playing the sport? It's not a rational way to view things and we know the sport grew, starting from zero, so surely it started from zero elite players in the world to more as it grew. No one would claim it's perfectly linear but the growth has to be there and with more elite players there is a greater chance of the top guys being better as they are being pushed by the guys below them.

This is where your argument gets sketchy. Orr dominated against the same players who were the dominant players in the late stages of the O6. We did not see a change at the top by the scoring leaders in Orr's time. Hull, Howe and Beliveau were still up there. So you cannot reasonably argue that Orr dominated against a completely different talent level than Howe or Beliveau did.

By the time Orr really hit his stride ('69-70?) those guys weren't always among the scoring leaders, but of course not because they were old. They were all roughly point per game players at that point while Orr scored 120 points. That's not to say the 3 you named wouldn't be great in any era because we should have no doubts. Orr did dominate a very different league than those O6 guys did. The league and it's players are always changing so it's never that simple. Bring expansion into the mix with all the AHLers who were suddenly NHLers and it's a big deal.

The real point here is that Orr did dominate his peers on an individual level more than those O6 guys did. Is it because Orr didn't have great peers or is it because he was simply better than those O6 guys? I'd go with he latter and most probably agree. See, I agree that domination over peers (peer to peer comparisons) does matter and is useful but context is always needed. It's just as simple as saying every era is equal and "the best are always the best" because that's really dumbing it down too much.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Older players put up elite seasons later in their careers because they are great players. It doesn't point to there being no dramatic changes in the league over time though. Only a silly person would stay someone like Bobby Hull couldn't cut it in today's NHL. One could question if he's stand out as much or he'd "just" be one of the top wingers most seasons.

This goes against your theory. Older players should not be putting up elite seasons ten to fifteen years after their peaks given how much better the league would have improved in that time.

Again, your argument is lacking in any semblance of concrete evidence. I have countered with reasonable evidence that shows there is no reason to believe that dominance doesn't translate in other eras.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
There wasn't one dramatic change although the Soviets coming over was a big one. It's the easiest one to point to because the Soviets were a hockey power with many all-time great older and younger players that came over. Again, it made a big difference in the league as we've seen Russian players win nearly every major award since coming over. It made the league deeper in elite talent and brought a new flare and style to the NHL. Huge plus to the league and most who were around really enjoyed that era in the early 90's because guys like Fedorov and Bure were great players and extremely entertaining and it added to what the league already had.

But the league was expanding when they came over to make room for the Euros and Russians.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

This presumes that any player from the past wasn't as talented as current players regardless of how much they dominated.

Are you also willing to concede that best current players will also be surpassed inevitably by future players even if they don't dominate as much?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
This goes against your theory. Older players should not be putting up elite seasons ten to fifteen years after their peaks given how much better the league would have improved in that time.

Again, your argument is lacking in any semblance of concrete evidence. I have countered with reasonable evidence that shows there is no reason to believe that dominance doesn't translate in other eras.

Because that's not even my argument/theory. I'm not saying a dominant player can't be dominant in another era, I'm questioning if the dominance will remain exactly the same. If there are more elite players in another era than they probably won't appear as dominant and may just be in the mix of dominant players instead of being singled out more.

It's not that complicated but you are trying to pretend it's a black and white issue but there is always a touch of grey.

I've offered up examples in the "weak era's thread" thread.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
But the league was expanding when they came over to make room for the Euros and Russians.

So, does that mean the overall amount of elite players didn't increase when they came? That is exactly what happened and it only took a few years for a Soviet trained player to win the Hart.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
This presumes that any player from the past wasn't as talented as current players regardless of how much they dominated.

Are you also willing to concede that best current players will also be surpassed inevitably by future players even if they don't dominate as much?

No it doesn't. I'm not even sure how you interpreted it that way. I think it should be questioned more than it often is. I'm not saying I have all the answers but the talent pool feeding the NHL clearly grew a lot since Hull's prime so with that you'd think the amount of elite wingers and players grew with it. The opposite or assuming it always remains the same would just be bizarre.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No it doesn't. I'm not even sure how you interpreted it that way. I think it should be questioned more than it often is. I'm not saying I have all the answers but the talent pool feeding the NHL clearly grew a lot since Hull's prime so with that you'd think the amount of elite wingers and players grew with it. The opposite or assuming it always remains the same would just be bizarre.

How would Bobby Hull do if he started his career today? It is an unanswerable question and it is an unreasonable question. Presuming that he, along with every other star from the past does worse makes far too many presumptions for my liking. You simply have to accept the reality of when he played.

But I will ask this for the last time....

Start drawing a line from the best players (McDavid, Crosby, OV) thru the best players before them (Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg) thru to the best before them (Wayne, Mario) etc... and point out when we hit a player that we should question whether they would be as good as they were if they played in the current era.

I am not talking about point totals, I am not talking about subjective opinion that someone's style would not translate to the current league, I am talking about dominating their respective peers.

Is Hull that player? Or were there players after him who you think would be worse?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
How would Bobby Hull do if he started his career today? It is an unanswerable question and it is an unreasonable question. Presuming that he, along with every other star from the past does worse makes far too many presumptions for my liking. You simply have to accept the reality of when he played.

But I will ask this for the last time....

Start drawing a line from the best players (McDavid, Crosby, OV) thru the best players before them (Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg) thru to the best before them (Wayne, Mario) etc... and point out when we hit a player that we should question whether they would be as good as they were if they played in the current era.

I am not talking about point totals, I am not talking about subjective opinion that someone's style would not translate to the current league, I am talking about dominating their respective peers.

Is Hull that player? Or were there players after him who you think would be worse?

You can and should question all of them if comparing across eras. Why wouldn't you? Sticking your head in the sand and saying they would all dominate in exactly that same way is just that. Of course some elite players are more suited to different eras. For players that dominated that much it's fairly safe to assume they would be great in any era, but it's not safe to assume they would be exactly the same, or dominate exactly the same in any era because they wouldn't have the exact same peers. Isn't that the whole point of comparing players across eras?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You can and should question all of them if comparing across eras. Why wouldn't you? Sticking your head in the sand and saying they would all dominate in exactly that same way is just that. Of course some elite players are more suited to different eras. For players that dominated that much it's fairly safe to assume they would be great in any era, but it's not safe to assume they would be exactly the same, or dominate exactly the same in any era because they wouldn't have the exact same peers. Isn't that the whole point of comparing players across eras?

I think that is the safest assumption you can make. Everything else is complete speculation which opens the door to biases and causation by correlation arguments.

What is more reasonable to claim?

(1) Since Crosby has not won an Art Ross or shown a dominant PPG in the last five seasons, we can argue that he would not be as dominant a player if he had happened to start his career in 2015. We simply do not know how he would do against this particular group of peers at his peak; it is a different era.

(2) One can assume that Crosby over the past five years may have started to regress from his peak/prime but this is still good enough to keep him close to the very top of the league. There is no reason to think that he would not have shown a similar level of dominance if he happened to start his career in 2015.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I think that is the safest assumption you can make. Everything else is complete speculation which opens the door to biases and causation by correlation arguments.

What is more reasonable to claim?

(1) Since Crosby has not won an Art Ross or shown a dominant PPG in the last five seasons, we can argue that he would not be as dominant a player if he had happened to start his career in 2015. We simply do not know how he would do against this particular group of peers at his peak; it is a different era.

(2) One can assume that Crosby over the past five years may have started to regress from his peak/prime but this is still good enough to keep him close to the very top of the league. There is no reason to think that he would not have shown a similar level of dominance if he happened to start his career in 2015.

Is it really safe to assume everything remains the same over 100 year span?

Again I’ll ask, when did the NHL or the sport in general start having a relatively constant group of elite players playing at the same relative level? I’m assuming we are remove the 3 or 4 top outliers in history. Was it 1917, the 1800’s sometime, or when Jesus was toe dragging the apostles?

As for your question, I don’t see a huge change from 2005 to 2015. It “ebbed and flowed” quite a lot in that span. The game got quicker but Crosby would be similar if he started more recently IMO. I’m not so sure Crosby’s was much less dominant than his early 20’s overall anyways. He’s more well rounded now and a more mature player but scores less.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
As for your question, I don’t see a huge change from 2005 to 2015. It “ebbed and flowed” quite a lot in that span. The game got quicker but Crosby would be similar if he started more recently IMO. I’m not so sure Crosby’s was much less dominant than his early 20’s overall anyways. He’s more well rounded now and a more mature player but scores less.

So the game has remained static since 2005 despite the 20% decrease in the # of Canadians in the league over that time? This is a bigger decrease in the raw number and % of Canadians between 1982 and 1992 yet the game changed dramatically in your opinion over that time.

Or as you say, it has gotten quicker but Crosby would still be dominant. How can you say that with any certainty whatsoever when you claim stars of the early 80s did not do as well when the game improved into the '90s?

Or, as you say, offensive production is not the be all, end all of a player's worth, something you conveniently ignore when talking about Bossy, Trottier, Potvin and Hawerchuk.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

And what about Jagr and Thornton? Both players who had a season just as strong as Crosby's 2006 season in 2005 which means they should not have had any problem being as dominant today if you feel the same way about Crosby. Thornton recently put up a very good season late in his career. Both players, especially Jagr, were elite before 2005.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Is it really safe to assume everything remains the same over 100 year span?

The assumption that the best players from any era would, in general, be as dominant in any other era is a lot safer than assuming that every best player from the current era is automatically better than the best from earlier eras.

But why assume anything when we can reasonably look at performance vs. peers and apply reasonable statistical context when it is obvious some is needed? It seems that most of the posters here do that.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
In this particularly fun instance, you both are on either side of an argument and your both incorrect, in my opinion. You seem to be both in search of a binary answer to a question that requires a great degree of nuance, context and proper evaluation. The answer is in the middle somewhere.

Also, the 2006 game is not the game we have now, in case that was unclear.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
In this particularly fun instance, you both are on either side of an argument and your both incorrect, in my opinion. You seem to be both in search of a binary answer to a question that requires a great degree of nuance, context and proper evaluation. The answer is in the middle somewhere.

Also, the 2006 game is not the game we have now, in case that was unclear.

What players do you think need context surrounding their numbers (not raw totals but Art Ross placings, dominance vs. peers) based on the era in which they played?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
100% of them. Maybe more...

Like the game itself, you get back what you put into it...if you're (royal you) gonna be lazy about it and cut corners, well, you plant corn, you grow corn. You can't expect a delicious cornucopia from shorthand work...

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
100% of them. Maybe more...

Like the game itself, you get back what you put into it...if you're (royal you) gonna be lazy about it and cut corners, well, you plant corn, you grow corn. You can't expect a delicious cornucopia from shorthand work...

Where have I said anything about numbers being the be all, end all of player evaluation.

So you don't think that any players necessarily benefited from playing in weaker eras?

TheEye

Nov 4, 2018
Due to expansion drafts and the like, some of these sponsorship era players were dispersed anyhow or were mentored by such players. Jacques Plante -> Bernie Parent, to keep it central to the Flyers winning.

By all means, I'm reasonably certain Plante delivered a significant impact on Parent's development during his brief stint in Toronto. Rather fortunately, the mentor/protege relationship isn't unique to the Sponsorship Era but spans across all generations in the historical record of human civilization. In this manner, the argument in support of this hypothesis is specious, at best.

While Philadelphia won a couple (without having to play Montreal...), it doesn't outright dismiss the value of sponsorship-led development...that's a little bit of specious reasoning I think..."if the game is getting faster and more skilled...how come the Blues won this year?" Yeah, it's there and it happened...but if sports always predicted the exact expected result it wouldn't be watched. The Flyers were a blip on the radar in a decade owned by Montreal and Boston...

The Flyers were a blip on the radar during the 1970s, but the Bruins were not? From 1969-70 to 1979-80, Boston won two Stanley Cups and appeared in five Stanley Cup Finals. During the exact time period, Philadelphia won two Stanley Cups and appeared in four Stanley Cup Finals. Of a significant note, the Bruins lost in the Stanley Cup Finals to the Flyers in 1974. When drawing comparison it appears very disingenuous to suggest one of those teams as a blip on the radar. That's a remarkably sizeable number of blips for each team and very comparable in scale. Perhaps the Bobby Orr halo effect influences logic and reasoning at times?

Yeah, there's a lot of talk about fairness and balance here, and that's all well and good, but that's not what's on the table is it? We're talking about league quality and the things that effect that. I'm not gonna sit here and defend it as a means to parity...but the player development and what it produced - the individuals it produced - that's what's for dinner here. The turmoil of that time produced relative chaos, which we don't really come to fully realize until around 1980. The WHA was a minor league and it was infused into a professional league...it's like having a car drive into your living room and going "well, at least we have more storage space now..." when it's most certainly a negative...

I'm at a considerable loss in understanding your perception of the 1980s as a period of more turmoil and relative chaos relative to the 1970s. There were 32 professional teams during the height of the WHA period, dating to 1976. This was reduced to 21 professional teams for the 1979 season and the player totality was reduced over a three year period to be folded within the NHL structure. Your suggestion that the WHA league "was a minor league infused into a professional league" actually weakens your supposition that the 1970s NHL comprised a relatively strong period. Once again, those 1970s WHA teams had a winning record against NHL teams over a large sample size (63 games). The stronger 1970s NHL teams were actually beating up on weaker NHL teams which were marginally inferior to those very WHA teams. Give pause and consider that fact. If this was occurring during the 1980s period, it would be the first point of contention for the detractors of that time period. When it doesn't fit the narrative, it's both completely and unfortunately overlooked. Choosing witty narratives about cars in living rooms does nothing to alter that fact.

I'm not sure how or why we'd come to this conclusion actually...didn't you/we already prove the effectiveness of the sponsorship-led teams by pointing how successful Montreal was for forever?

This completely misinterprets my point. The reason Montreal was successful for such an incredible period of time was not because of the superiority of the Sponsorship Era, but the inherent unfairness of the system. During the initial years of the Draft Era, the Canadiens were deeply stocked with players unfairly acquired during the Sponsorship Era. They occasionally moved those players to the expansion teams for draft picks because the expansion teams desperately needed NHL-ready players. This structure benefited Montreal significantly, allowing them to trade remnants from the system for draft picks into the early 1980s. Once the benefits of the Sponsorship Era completely dissipated by the 1990s, the Canadiens faded into irrelevancy and have perpetually remained there to present day. I won't digress into the 'French Canadian Rule' as it pertains to the early draft system because I don't believe the Canadiens significantly benefited from this additional bias.

I think the game deteriorated as the 70's progressed and the early 80's were a complete cluster**** before beginning its recovery in the later parts of the 80's...that's evident in all the goofy **** that happened as it's almost a 1:1 match to the WWII years (and probably the WWI years, but I'm not quite as well-versed in that)...

Similar outputs are not necessarily reflective of identical inputs. It's near certain that increased scoring during the WWII era was reflective of talent depletion and resources redirected to the war effort. The rational for increased scoring during the 1970s and 1980s likely require a more hybrid approach towards such rationalization. I'm having difficulty recognizing why you feel a linear approach most closely approximates objective reasoning. You often note the importance of nuances in one's evaluation procedures but when something aligns with your pre-existing beliefs, it appears refinements are no longer beneficial to the process. I clearly cannot comprehend dismissing the significant probability that skater development/coaching outpaced goaltending evolution during the 1980s. Considering the contraction of the professional player pool and the complete dearth of 1970s transitional goaltending stars, it's the most logical starting point for any critical analysis.

you think the game immediately got worse because the NHL added a few more teams in the early 70's and a minor league was created that sucked away some legitimately good talent for a short time?

A few? The NHL expanded from 6 to 18 teams. It tripled in size. The WHA also added 14 professional teams. They poached a significant amount of NHL talent from a league which quickly added almost 300 additional players to league size previously recorded at less than 150 players. I find the progression of discussion rather unfair when we are not addressing the facts in proper fashion. This is altogether an astonishing change in league size and an appreciable additional dilution of the talent pool by the WHA. It was certainly not a problem for a short period of time. It was a conspicuous problem for almost the entire 1970s decade.

(I don't mean that to sound as dismissive as it reads...but I just can't produce the brain power to tidy it up, apologies) Is that kind of where we're at? And if so, is there a particular piece of the puzzle you want to tackle next?

No offensive taken. I don't find it dismissive in the slightest. I find it profoundly unaware. To that point, I see you're an aspiring scout. Let's consider the possibility you desire to retain an NHL affiliation and you manage to secure an interview to facilitate this career objective. Imagine a scenario where the interviewer requests you to elaborate your thoughts on player development as it relates to the current game. Would you consider a reply which reveals your belief in a need to 'refine' our player development, broadly reflecting the techniques of the 1960s? I can confidently assure you that revealing this perception to any professional organization would immediately disqualify you as a candidate. I wholly cannot perceive how anyone with an active involvement in the modern game regards the technical development from almost 50 years prior as a superior choice. My strictly logical conclusion is a misunderstanding of one era or both. For that reason, I'm apprehensive to tackle anything next.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad