Prospect Info: The Missing Piece

Which 2021 Draftee Is The Sens Missing Piece?

• Total voters

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
While I believe the current roster has room to perform better than they are I'd like to know what you guys think the missing piece will be in the next draft. Do you guys think you take a D or a FW?

If D I lean Owen Power because he is literally a freak of nature in an NHL ready frame primed for immediate defensive impact. His elite mobility for someone of his size allows potential for offensive upside. I also don't see Luke Hughes as a missing piece for them because you guys already have a few young D who have a stronger offensive impact than Defensive.

If FW I lean Beniers because he is also ready to make an impact on Defense and offense. Beniers has high end speed, great IQ, solid hands. I do not believe Beniers has the offensive upside of Jimmy Stü, but I do believe his play style is a perfect complement for every top player. Specifically Jimmy, Brady, and Batherson. Beniers is an all around high end complement that can make an impact in every area of the game.

My secondary FW option for the upcoming draft would be Kent Johnson, I think he needs another season to develop his speed and defensive motor/capability, but he has ultra IQ, silky creative hands, and elite offensive upside at full maturity.

What do you guys think? Who is the 2021 player that elevates this organization to the next level?

Side Note: The W against the Leafs last night is one of the(if not just THE) best come backs I have ever seen.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I think Beniers is going to be a stud. Chances are we won't be picking #1 so he'd be my first choice if not for Power, granted I have not watched a lot of draft prospect so far this year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Really, really tough question. That's why I am really hoping for the draft to be pushed back. Gives us more of a look.

However, I see Power and Hughes as the ones having the most impact as top pairing defenders. One of them would be nuts to have; and Sanderson I think would be able to play RD with one of them.

Chabot-Brannstrom
Hughes-Sanderson
Kleven-Zub

I mean... come on, that second pair could be our 1st.

Similarly, Eklund/Johnson/Guenther on Stutzle's wing could be just the skill we need to have another game-breaker on offense. We have so many responsible and gritty forwards, Johnson or Eklund would fit a nice niche here creating offense out of nothing. Guenther plays more our style of game and could be game breaking scorer for us.

I love Beniers though, if that guy can finish better, he's the next Toews/Bergeron of the league.

Reactions: Laminator

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Right now?
We badly need size up front. We have a tough time winning board battles or making plays in the slot.
We need an NHL caliber playmaker. Players are rushing shots, sending soft passes to each other and we're not able to set up in the offensive zone.
We need an offensive center to be a more consistent offensive threat than the guys we're using now.

If only we had a player like this who was working hard instead of sulking.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
We need a lot of help on the back end and down the middle. Draft best player available but hopefully that’s a defenseman or center

Reactions: bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We definitely need at least one more high end forward as the priority imo.

It's incredible just how much more skilled Stuzle looks than any other forward on the team. It's not even close to the next guy, whoever you think that is. He clearly has that superstar gear that nobody else in the forward group has.

Reactions: NB613

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Agreed that I think we need another high end forward and maybe two. It would be a real blessing if the draft was held in 2022 because we will have a much clearer picture of three of our defensive prospects. If JBD, Thomson, and Sanderson are all looking good next year and knocking at the door I think we should consider taking high end forwards in both drafts to round out our top 6. If those three defencemen still have question marks I think its important we draft another defencemen to give us 4 high end D in the case one of our guys doesn't make the next step.

Reactions: NB613

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We need a lot of help on the back end and down the middle. Draft best player available but hopefully that’s a defenseman or center
Whether they get in the next draft, or not, they need a top flight center. They need a center that would be considered one of the top ten forwards in the league. The successful teams have had one: Crosby/Malkin, Auston Matthews (disregard the Leafs lack of success here LOL), Backstrom, Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I really hope the draft is delayed into 2022, so we can all salivate at the available options the next WJHC. It will generate a lot of interesting discussion on these boards as well.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
My suspicion is that Stutzle may end up staying on the wing, after two straight seasons playing that position.

If that is the case then our biggest need by far is a #1 center. Another potential top pairing D would be sweet but certainly isn't our biggest need.

Beniers will be a good player but I don't know if he'll be #1 center good. Same goes for Eklund.

Johnson probably has the most upside. Kid is extremely talented, but rough around the edges. He'd probably be my pick.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
they are still in a position to go with BPA so Clarke (RHD) or Power (LHD) if they pick 1/2...

if they decide to trade for a lower pick (4/5), Beniers, Johnson would be the a good option for center

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have not looked at this year's draft crop but I think we need another high impact C or RW.

We have lots of decent dmen in our prospect pool, we should look at getting quality d vets to help them out as they filter in.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
For 2021 of say D-men(Power or Clarke) or Kent Johnson.

For 2022 one of Wright/Lambert/Savoie

Playing around with projected lineup this leaves the right wing depth an area to investigate.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Elite #1 Center
Solid #2 Defenseman
Solid #3 Defenseman

Elite #1 Center : Tim Stutzle
Solid #2 Defenseman : Jake Sanderson
Solid #3 Defenseman : Erik Brannstrom, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Tyler Kleven or Artem Zub

The pieces on defense seem to be in place, but some time will be needed to all come together

The real need seems to be a playmaking center. Ideally Logan Brown would be that guy but I don't know, it feels like he is going somewhere else. So what will happen with Tim Stutzle? Will he be a Center or not? If he is then our need at Center is not the same with Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, White, etc

Always go BPA but I'd say C/RW in priority and RD secondly

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You only listed 3 of my top 5. Clarke, Johnson, Guenther, Beniers, Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad