The Mindless Optimism Thread

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Should be pretty self explanatory. I want folks to post here down to their final shred of hope. Things look bleak. How do we want to go down?

winston-churchill-quote-keep-going1.jpg

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My only optimism:

The Blues never seem to do how we think they will do.

If they were winning these games we would expect them to go far so then they probably wouldn't.

However, most or all of us aren't expecting them to survive the first round so now they probably will somehow.

Eh?...Eh?...I tried.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We will find out what our depth is truly made of.

Walking into the playoffs losing the last five (possibly six) games gives us the advantage of being taken for granted. The same old Blues. There was a period of time that the Kings were looked at that way. They have a Cup now. Granted, it's pretty faulty, I could say the Canes or the Lightning too. I mean....there is a time that a team didn't win a cup, even for the Original Six. The first is just generally the hardest and ours won't be any exception.

We have some question marks that also come into play: Is Hitch protecting players and claiming they're injured right now to test depth? If these games don't matter to Hitch, then this may be what he's up to. Who are we really out of? Backes? Oshie? How do we know they won't play in Game 1? Hell, how do we know who will play in Game 1? Any word on how serious the injuries are? I haven't seen much beyond Tarasenko still being out with his hand injury.

Right now there's alot of speculation and losing the last half dozen games does nothing but add fear to the fire. We have to remember these games don't matter, all it does is decide our standing in the playoffs. If that doesn't matter to Hitch, then he must have a plan...Right?

Now is the time for Elliott to get hot and steal Miller's job like he did Halak's. Elliott seems to follow this pattern and I feel this is going to be what makes the difference for us.

And Pie has to step it up and be the player we need him to be, like Steen and Schwartz have been.

I have optimism but I feel for the right reasons. Worse teams have won the Cup with less.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
As bad as its been for a few weeks, we are still 1 win away, and with a little helps from the ducks, from still winning the division and getting a wild card matchup instead of the hawks. If Backes foot isnt broken, if Oshie doesnt have a concussion, I like our chances. I'm thinking of it as some of our Olympians are now getting their rest. The Wild beat us once in 10 games, big deal. Keep the domination going, then deal with who ever comes out of the Av/Chicago series, with a rested Tarasenko joing the crew.

Too much?

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
It's all a ploy by hitch! We're gonna go all the way!!!!

Comically enough, this was proposed as a genuine idea a week or two ago. :laugh:

My expectations are obviously lowered, but I am still looking forward to the postseason. I just don't expect a deep run. Quite frankly, winning the first round will feel like the cup this year.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have been one of the biggest downers these last couple of weeks but **** it I'll try some optimism.

1. Injuries - While we have several players fighting injuries it seems like several will be back on Thursday. I honestly think some are just being kept out as a precaution. JR tweeted earlier that he thinks Morrow, Berglund and Tarasenko will be the ones not ready for the playoff and we all know that Tarasenko is close. That would make our lines for game 1..
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Sobotka-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Roy-Ott
Porter-Lapierre-Reaves
not great but definitely capable.

2. Our Opponent - If we do somehow win the Central we historically own the Wild even with a semi healthy team. If we face Chicago we are in for a tough go but we know that Toews/Kane are both just returning from injuries and may not be 100%.

3. Our Players - Schwartz and Steen have both shown that they are able to crank it up at times and they both are healthy heading into the playoffs. Lets hope they continue to show up on a big stage.

4. Ryan Miller - Yeah.... underwhelmed is a great word from him so far. However if you look back he has a history of showing up when it counts the most. 2010 Olympics anyone? If he can summon up that kind of performance again we will be fine in goal at least.

Yeah all that was hard to type but hey anything can happen, that is why they play the games.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I have been one of the biggest downers these last couple of weeks but **** it I'll try some optimism.

1. Injuries - While we have several players fighting injuries it seems like several will be back on Thursday. I honestly think some are just being kept out as a precaution. JR tweeted earlier that he thinks Morrow, Berglund and Tarasenko will be the ones not ready for the playoff and we all know that Tarasenko is close. That would make our lines for game 1..
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Sobotka-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Roy-Ott
Porter-Lapierre-Reaves

not great but definitely capable.

2. Our Opponent - If we do somehow win the Central we historically own the Wild even with a semi healthy team. If we face Chicago we are in for a tough go but we know that Toews/Kane are both just returning from injuries and may not be 100%.

3. Our Players - Schwartz and Steen have both shown that they are able to crank it up at times and they both are healthy heading into the playoffs. Lets hope they continue to show up on a big stage.

4. Ryan Miller - Yeah.... underwhelmed is a great word from him so far. However if you look back he has a history of showing up when it counts the most. 2010 Olympics anyone? If he can summon up that kind of performance again we will be fine in goal at least.

Yeah all that was hard to type but hey anything can happen, that is why they play the games.
Yeah those are the lines I came up with too. The 3rd line may be a bit of a defensive liability but we don't have any other options really, so that looks like our best bet. And I think that team can still beat Minnesota.

If we can get Tarasenko back for round 2, I'll feel a lot better. Maybe hopefully Berglund too.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Let's Go Blues!

I've said the only thing that matters is how the Blues do in the playoffs.

So far they are undefeated in playoff games this season.

Let's Go Blues!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
How about the fact that Chicago is struggling right now as well? Got blanked by Halak and the Caps a few nights ago and lost to Nashvile tonight by allowing 7 goals. I still believe the Blues can get past the Hawks. Once they get past them, they will have Tarasenko back and some confidence back and should be able to handle Colorado like they have pretty much all season and by then hopefully they're back to playing to their potential.

I still believe this is the year.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Maybe we see Miller get lit up Game 1 and gets pulled in the first period only to have Brian Elliott and not let a single goal up for the rest of the game as we luck our way back to win in game 1. We ride that confidence through the playoffs as we get healthy along the way and we win the cup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You know as Blues fans the year we win the cup it'll probably be a rocky ride. There's no way anything will just go smooth sailing for this franchise lol, so maybe you guys are right. That remains to be seen what they can do.

It looks bleak as hell right now with all these injuries, but... hopefully we can get a little healthier soon, a lot of teams will be banged up in the playoffs.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
As bad as its been for a few weeks, we are still 1 win away, and with a little helps from the ducks, from still winning the division and getting a wild card matchup instead of the hawks. If Backes foot isnt broken, if Oshie doesnt have a concussion, I like our chances. I'm thinking of it as some of our Olympians are now getting their rest. The Wild beat us once in 10 games, big deal. Keep the domination going, then deal with who ever comes out of the Av/Chicago series, with a rested Tarasenko joing the crew.

Too much?

I had hopes of that, but they included The Kings beating The Ducks tonight in regulation, so The Ducks would have a good reason to play full out against Colorado tomorrow. Unfortunately, the two teams were tied at the end of regulation, so The Ducks have won first seed in The West and can't catch Boston for home-ice throughout.

So, I'm afraid they might rest their stars against The Avs. That could be bad news for The Blues, even if they win. The Blues need to play Minnesota (the soft touch), so that The Blues can win, despite Tarasenko and Berglund being out, and get them back for the 2nd series against Chicago or Colorado.

I'm not tremendously optimistic that The Blues will beat The Hawks, if Kane and Toews are back, completely healthy, and The Blues have Tarasenko out, and a hobbling Berglund, and maybe Oshie and Backes and Sobotka.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I had hopes of that, but they included The Kings beating The Ducks tonight in regulation, so The Ducks would have a good reason to play full out against Colorado tomorrow. Unfortunately, the two teams were tied at the end of regulation, so The Ducks have won first seed in The West and can't catch Boston for home-ice throughout.

So, I'm afraid they might rest their stars against The Avs. That could be bad news for The Blues, even if they win. The Blues need to play Minnesota (the soft touch), so that The Blues can win, despite Tarasenko and Berglund being out, and get them back for the 2nd series against Chicago or Colorado.

I'm not tremendously optimistic that The Blues will beat The Hawks, if Kane and Toews are back, completely healthy, and The Blues have Tarasenko out, and a hobbling Berglund, and maybe Oshie and Backes and Sobotka.

As usual Robb.....WRONG THREAD! :)

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
As usual Robb.....WRONG THREAD! :)

I AM being optimistic here. I'm expecting The Blues to beat Detroit. I'm hoping that Anaheim will beat Colorado, but it will be tougher to get done when they have a LOT less reason to play hard than The Avs will.

I think that a first series against The Hawks will be a lot closer than most Blues fans think. And I think The Blues are capable of winning that series, even without Tarasenko. Bot it will take a LOT of things going right for that to happen.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I'll await further news on conformation on who will play and who won't on the Blues 7 injured forwards before jumping on the Optimistic Bandwagon before the start of 1st round Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad