The Million Dollar Question

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I was just over trolling on the Hawks board. I find it amusing that they are saying the same issues with their team as we are with the Bruins. They are in no way shape or form in jeopardy of not making the playoffs and are 9 points out of 1st overall and yet they cry the same issues as us.

1. Coach overplays stars than under achieve ( Julien ? )
2. Their best d-man Keith should be taken off the PP because he can't catch a pass or shoot at the right time ( Chara ? )
3. Shaw sucks and shouldn't be in top 6 ( Smith ? )
4. Versteeg even when playing well can't catch a break ( Lucic ? )
5. Kane doesn't try on the PP. Just circles around,never shoots and always trying to make a nifty pass through traffic ( Krejci ? )
6. Crawford is overrated. Only looks good when team is playing good otherwise he shows his true colors ( Rask ? )
7. Trade Sharp. He doesn't have it anymore ( Eriksson ? )

Probably if you troll around, every fan base has the same gripes about their own teams. I just thought it was interesting that whether your team is near the top or near the bottom...it is never good enough. We play this terrible Hawks team on Sunday so I guess we will see how equal we really are.

1. Your using the word trolling wrong. You're lurking not trolling.

2. Hawks aren't fighting for a playoff spot. Hawks are a cup contender still. Every team has its issues this Bruins team outside of one month has been terrible.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I honestly believe the largest part of Cam Neely's employment with the Bruins is simply him saying "Hi, I'm Cam Neely".

That may include being a bridge between management and players.

So essentially also "Hi, I'm Cam Neely, management thinks this and you should do it because ... Hi, I'm Cam Neely".

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
1. Your using the word trolling wrong. You're lurking not trolling.

2. Hawks aren't fighting for a playoff spot. Hawks are a cup contender still. Every team has its issues this Bruins team outside of one month has been terrible.

1. Ok yes I was lurking.

2. That is my point. They are nowhere near the place we are in but yet gripe as if they have the same issues. Their team much more solid than ours and that isn't by luck or the conference inwhich they play. They are a good team where as we are not.

Just found it funny...that is all.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Been a tough winter. But 'Shadow of Mordor' and 'Borderlands The Pre Sequel' kept me involved and evolved, thank heavens. Leaning forward now and prepping for four-year rebuild, that is, minus the Claude. Spoonie may outlast Claude & Soupy in Boston after all, and won't that be something.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Time to blow it up and rebuild the defense. Hold onto to Hamilton and Krug and add a few other young guys via trade + a few veteran guys through cheap signings in the offseason.

The Bruins aren't going to win anything this year or in the near future by keeping things the same, so it's time to rip off the band-aid.

At this point the moving Chara conversation needs to be had....same thing with Seidenberg, Soderberg, Campbell, Paille, and of course the Lucic decision. I might keep Kelly around for next year as a veteran leader type because I think the goal has to be to retool and hopefully have a contender again in 2017.

So the question needs to be asked, which of the prospects and of the current roster players are going to be around and contributing at a high level in 2017?

Regardless of the injuries I thought this team didn't compete hard enough and I don't like that the players seem to be making a lot of excuses. I don't know where the accountability is.

I'd keep Chiarelli on the condition that Claude has to go. If Chia wants to keep Claude, then they both get the boot. It is a similar roster to last year's group but the effort level/buy in that the team had in previous years isn't there.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sweet post DKH I remembered this guy for being a lefty and thinking he should have been Pitts regular goalie instead of Tim Barr******* but I didn't know that Philly made a blockbuster trade for him around the time Hextall led them to the finals as a rookie!

I think the next 2 seasons look worse than this one so we should get the absolute most we can from our cache of Spooner, the Isles late 2nd round picks, and lesser throw in assets/prospects. Don't touch the first rounders but please don't treat the return for our best defenseman as something that can't be moved.

And newsflash- we have already made the boneheaded franchise killing trades you are referring to. Theres no moves like that to be made other than trading Rask or Hamilton which isn't happening. We gave up the best contract in the NHL in Seguin and a guy who would have played at a near Norris level and taken the reigns from Chara for the next 6-7 years for very very very very very little (and even less cap relief.)

I disagree please please please give up Spooner to get the 18 year old of our first line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The B's have been good for so long. Playoffs are expected.
However, their down fall was expected, but perhaps a year or two sooner
than most expected, and the plummet has been fast.

I'd hope Charlie would not put pressure on Chia at the expense of long term
success. Chia has done a lot here, and deserves thanks. Does he deserve another
chance ? I think that can only be determined by Charlie and a private discussion
with Chia. What is his vision.

I really believe one of the main reasons for the tank this season is the players
disappointmen with Mgmt.
  • Lack of replacing Seidenberg last year. Plenty of time to make a move.
  • No real replacement of Ingila
  • Trade of Boychuk. This one was huge. I would have to think the players thought mgmt was throwing in the towel on the season.
  • Saying more moves were to follow after the Boychuck trade yet none happened.

These series of moves probably really affected the players.

I know Chara and Seidenberg looked cooked, and they maybe, but perhaps they
need a year of recuperation to get back to their real playing ability. They won't be
the player of yesteryear, but better than they are now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Great post Dan.

I think Neely, rightly or wrongly, is safe, so as Club President it should be his job to protect the Bruins from any "Save-My-Job" desperation trade Peter Chiarelli might make.

It's weird, but if Krejci is really hurt it might be a blessing in disguise for the franchise long term. It kills me to think that or say it, but on a macro-level it is probably true.

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
Thanks Dan for using one of my best friends in your example:laugh: It did get him out of Leaf land though and of course the Leafs wasted those picks on nobodies. He ended up winning the cup with the Pens a few years later.

As much as people want Chiarelli to do something, I agree he shouldn't give away players just to save his hide.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Is there anyone that we could possibly trade that would remotely upset anyone other than Pasta ?

For me , although I dont believe in untouchables, it would be Rask, Bergeron, Pasta, and Hamilton.

Id make them my new core. Then sit down with anybody else that had a NMC/NTC and tell them we're reloading. Gonna take a little time. Do 'you' want to be moved to a contender or end it here?

Just to get a dialougue going.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
For me , although I dont believe in untouchables, it would be Rask, Bergeron, Pasta, and Hamilton.

Id make them my new core. Then sit down with anybody else that had a NMC/NTC and tell them we're reloading. Gonna take a little time. Do 'you' want to be moved to a contender or end it here?

Just to get a dialougue going.

I agree I'd start there and extend that to a couple more I'd like to keep,then blow up the rest and I would dangle Chara like a giant effin carrot.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I don't know St Louis's prospects, or where they pick in the draft, but if that team would be ripe to trade with. They have been so close for a long time, that a player like Chara could put them over the top. Not so much for his play, but his intensity and leadership. Not saying to trade Chara, but those are the teams the B's should contact.
Teams that are super close and need that one player that might push them over. Even if you can squeeze a bit higher draft pick for the likes of Paille or Campbell, every bit helps.

Arthur*

Maybe McDavid can pull a Lindros and refuse to play in Edmonton, then get traded here.

Arthur*

My guess is I know where Eichel would play if he had his choice.
A package for him would have to include Pasta, Subban, other prospects, and a roster player or two. Would it be worth it?

I've heard that McDavid is supposed to be in the Crosby-class of generational talent, not like an all-star but perhaps not elite #1 like Tavares or Hall, or an underwhelming disappointment like Yakupov or RNH. Where does Eichel sit as far as #2s are concerned, a great like Malkin or a pretty good like Duchene?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Is there anyone that we could possibly trade that would remotely upset anyone other than Pasta ?

Bergeron, marchand, lucic, hamilton, rask and krejci for me. Also chara, hes hurting right now but he'll be better off with some rest.

I don't think its wise to trade these guys without trying a new coach first.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My guess is I know where Eichel would play if he had his choice.

Jack has a little leverage in this. He could let it be known that he intends to stay at BU to get his degree instead of going to the NHL next season. He certainly wants to be in a place that his parents can travel to regularly.

Arthur*

Jack has a little leverage in this. He could let it be known that he intends to stay at BU to get his degree instead of going to the NHL next season. He certainly wants to be in a place that his parents can travel to regularly.
He's a young, hip kid. He probably reads the internet(I hear kids love the internet). If we made some mass movement on the Bruins board maybe he'd see it and we could convince him to force a trade to Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad