Post-Game Talk: The Mike Ricci-est win I’ve ever seen

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The guy is a lightning rod and easy trigger for some. I get that he came to Edmonton with baggage and likely because of that baggage. But Kane's been a model citizen off-ice and hard, abrasive guy on-ice. Recovered from a potentially fatal injury that compromised his fine motor skills and this year he's alleged hobbled by lower body injury. He's earned some rope and benefit of the doubt imo.

Though would like to see him reduce a bit of the high risk in his game. His puck management has been sloppy at times.
Kane hasn't been great lately, but I'm hearing that a lot of that has to do with a nagging injury. Personally, I'm very willing to be patient, because I know he's going to be money in the playoffs (assuming we make them, of course). He gives the team a sense of swagger that no one else on the team does when he's on the roster, which I feel is invaluable.

Off the ice, Kane has been everything one could ask for. You really have to give him a lot of credit for doing the right things, and even going above and beyond that in many aspects.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
That's kinda why i posted that tweet. I remember him going on and on about the Deslauriers signing at the time. Then at the intermission of last night's game he mentioned Ottawa and Philly as potential trade partners for the Oilers so i wondered if there was a connection. :sarcasm:
I always go back to, you need to have toughness, but the toughness got to be able to play. I don't think having a knuckledragger that can only play 5 minutes a game and is pretty much useless otherwise is a net zero benefit. Seeler can play though, from what I understand.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the Oilers skill came through and we put up 4 with minimal effort. I don’t really expect them to match an AHL lineup playing with a huge chip on their shoulders effort. They were playing like it’s game 7 of a playoff game.

Skinner played great and I agree we are lucky it was an inferior team but if that game was properly officiated it wouldn’t have been close.
Well...I think that maintaining a high work ethic (regardless of the quality of the opposition) comes down to the maturity level of the team.
I was concerned about this game (in the GDT) and my concern apparently wasnt misplaced.

Sometimes you win games that you probably shouldnt have won and that appears to be the case here.
We all know that its a fools game to depend on the officals.

Reactions: Biltmore and K1984

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well...I think that maintaining a high work ethic (regardless of the quality of the opposition) comes down to the maturity level of the team.
I was concerned about this game (in the GDT) and my concern apparently wasnt misplaced.

Sometimes you win games that you probably shouldnt have won and that appears to be the case here.
We all know that its a fools game to depend on the officals.
Yeah but that level of effort isn’t sustainable across 82 games imo.

As for your last sentence I usually agree but when they take 2 legit goals off the board then I think it’s safe to say they had a big effect on the game. We’re not talking soft calls we’re taking legit goals.

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah but that level of effort isn’t sustainable across 82 games imo.

As for your last sentence I usually agree but when they take 2 legit goals off the board then I think it’s safe to say they had a big effect on the game.
Well..an argument can be made that the Hawks goal was legit too.

Due to the fact that the refs are anything but reliable I just like to see the team take the game out of the refs hands.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well..an argument can be made that the Hawks goal was legit too.

Due to the fact that the refs are anything but reliable I just like to see the team take the game out of the refs hands.
If the refs keep disallowing your legit goals it’s a little hard to take it out of their hands.

And come on Guymez there’s a clear difference between that that goal and ours.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If the refs keep disallowing your legit goals it’s a little hard to take it out of their hands.

And come on Guymez there’s a clear difference between that that goal and ours.
There was no excuse to be outplayed and outshot so drastically by a glorified AHL team.

As for the goals....the refs are garbage most nights. For that reason i dont usuallly get into a discussion about the quality of the reffing. That being said the Drai offisde play was probably offside but it had to get to a ridiculous level of scrutiny to see that.

In any event there was aboslutely no reason for the teams pathetic performance from the skaters. I dont expect a top notch effort every game but that effort was brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biltmore

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
There was no excuse to be outplayed and outshot so drastically by a glorified AHL team.

As for the goals....the refs are garbage most nights. For that reason i dont usuallly get into a discussion about the quality of the reffing. That being said the Drai offisde play was probably offside but it had to get to a ridiculous level of scrutiny to see that.

In any event there was aboslutely no reason for the teams pathetic performance from the skaters. I dont expect a top notch effort every game but that effort was brutal.
I know I get that. However rarely does poor officiating have that much of a direct effect on the score board.

Anyways you are right. Not good enough performance. Should have been 8-1 (so 6-1) ;)considering the lineups.

Reactions: guymez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kane hasn't been great lately, but I'm hearing that a lot of that has to do with a nagging injury. Personally, I'm very willing to be patient, because I know he's going to be money in the playoffs (assuming we make them, of course). He gives the team a sense of swagger that no one else on the team does when he's on the roster, which I feel is invaluable.

Off the ice, Kane has been everything one could ask for. You really have to give him a lot of credit for doing the right things, and even going above and beyond that in many aspects.
Agree, he's a hard, physical and intimating player with skill all of which are valuable attributes in marathon playoff reality. There's no reverse gear in Kane's game. We don't have access to the full picture of any players interactions to accurately assess the player's mindset with coaches, teammates, in the locker room, practise or on the road. Could be that perceived frustration is pain, discomfort and upset at his own game playing through another alleged injury. Lot of considerations.

He's a proud player who walks on the edge helps define his rare value. I feel he's earned a longer benefit of the doubt based on his time as an Oiler versus relitigating the many poor choices that landed him here. Hopefully all eyes are on the team prize. That said, he can tighten his play to limit turnovers.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Never going to get the perfect effort every game. Has never happened in the history of sports and never will. Athletes are no different than us Joe Schmucks, they are going to have off days at work. The best teams just have fewer of those games than the lower quality teams. Our last stretch has had way more great effort games than poor effort games, so a game where it just isn't there, but you still win, is fine by me. More about the big picture than a singular game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Who cares, they found a way to win. Sometimes you win games you shouldn't. It's the give and take for games you SHOULD have won and didn't.

You don't believe the team is unaware they played terrible, right?

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Keep hearing the refrain that maybe Brown will turn it on in the playoffs. Well, the playoffs are physical. This Connor Brown refuses to engage physically in any area of the ice.

Actually, I can't remember a single shift of his this year where he's so much as even considered throwing a hit. Does he have a single one? Shies away from contact like his body will break. He's adequate on the PK and somewhat okay defensively but this player is going to be a terrifying prospect and a net negative in a tight checking playoff game. Wouldn't trust him at all.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Keep hearing the refrain that maybe Brown will turn it on in the playoffs. Well, the playoffs are physical. This Connor Brown refuses to engage physically in any area of the ice.

Actually, I can't remember a single shift of his this year where he's so much as even considered throwing a hit. Does he have a single one? Shies away from contact like his body will break. He's adequate on the PK and somewhat okay defensively but this player is going to be a terrifying prospect and a net negative in a tight checking playoff game. Wouldn't trust him at all.
Then you aren't watching him play. He's not Kane, but he's willing to play physical.

Look man, he's dramatically underwhelmed, but we don't need to make stuff up.

Reactions: mcdingdong

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
The bolded is exactly how it is supposed to go... the decision to overturn the call on the ice is required to be DEFINITIVE. It can't by definition be DEFINITIVE if it takes that long to deliberate. The call on ice should have stood.

Like Louie said on the broadcast this one was the right call, Draisaitl didn't have control prior to entering the zone thus offside.

For those saying but the Makar goal, that was delayed offside and the puck entered the zone first albeit with an Avs player still in the zone but Makar didn't touch the puck till that player cleared the zone thus on side.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Like Louie said on the broadcast this one was the right call, Draisaitl didn't have control prior to entering the zone thus offside.

For those saying but the Makar goal, that was delayed offside and the puck entered the zone first albeit with an Avs player still in the zone but Makar didn't touch the puck till that player cleared the zone thus on side.
Louie didn't say this, he said it should count. Makar's goal was offside, Draisaitl was not. I hope that clears it up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I also think you should read the delayed offside rule.... Makar didn't touch the puck till his player cleared.
Again, I don't care what they decided, it was offside.

From 1:33 on listen to Louie... He does seam a little un sure to be fair, but his first take is right.

Again, I Don't Care what they decided.

Before the review they had Decided it was offside, so they spent all that time to "determine" it was offside.

I want to say something else, but I won't.

They're both terrible calls by a league that lacks integrity.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Again, I don't care what they decided, it was offside.

Again, I Don't Care what they decided.

Before the review they had Decided it was offside, so they spent all that time to "determine" it was offside.

I want to say something else, but I won't.

They're both terrible calls by a league that lacks integrity.

You seam to just not like the calls because they didn't benefit the Oilers despite the actual rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad