Post-Game Talk: The Mike Ricci-est win I’ve ever seen

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know I get that. However rarely does poor officiating have that much of a direct effect on the score board.

Anyways you are right. Not good enough performance. Should have been 8-1 (so 6-1) ;)considering the lineups.
Fair point.
I think that we can probably agree that they need to be MUCH better against Detroit.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Never going to get the perfect effort every game. Has never happened in the history of sports and never will. Athletes are no different than us Joe Schmucks, they are going to have off days at work. The best teams just have fewer of those games than the lower quality teams. Our last stretch has had way more great effort games than poor effort games, so a game where it just isn't there, but you still win, is fine by me. More about the big picture than a singular game.
I agree although I dont see it quite the same.
For me its not about being perfect every game....thats not going to happen,
They were so far from perfect against Chicago that I would have been happy for just a mediocre effort.

Who cares, they found a way to win. Sometimes you win games you shouldn't. It's the give and take for games you SHOULD have won and didn't.

You don't believe the team is unaware they played terrible, right?
Why it matters is that you could see this coming into their game prior to last night.
It just got much worse last night.

As to the team being aware....we shall see how aware they are in the next couple of games.
The results will tell us.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree although I dont see it quite the same.
For me its not about being perfect every game....thats not going to happen,
They were so far from perfect against Chicago that I would have been happy for just a mediocre effort.

Why it matters is that you could see this coming into their game prior to last night.
It just got much worse last night.

As to the team being aware....we shall see how aware they are in the next couple of games.
The results will tell us.
Then just expect bad losses and you can be surprised.

Reactions: capazzo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Then just expect bad losses and you can be surprised.
Not exactly sure what you are getting at here but calling out the team for a garbage effort isnt that controversial.
Obviously this winning streak is going to end but the reality is that they got 15 paltry shots against a terrible (glorified AHL) lineup.
Terrible breakouts...poor puck management...poor battle level against what is likely the worst lineup in the NHL and Skinner bailed them out.
Expecting a little more isnt that radical.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Yeah think that was a bad call on his part, it gave the Blackhawks a lift and set the Oilers back in a game where they already didn't have a lot of energy.

Challenge that shit dude. That was a good goal, who on their PP are you even afraid of.
I think it was the right call not to challenge.

With there being incidental contact in the paint prior to the goal they would 100% have doubled down on their bogus call.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Another problem with how the coach's challenge works is the strategic element to it.

Knoblauch doesn't challenge because he doesn't want to put the opponent on the power play when he is up by a goal. Not because he doesn't believe he has a strong case.

Richardson, on the other hand, has little to lose already down by two late in the game so he might as well take the chance.

Not sure I want Toronto to be entirely in charge of challenges but at least it would take this aspect away, because it gets in the way of the original intent which is to get calls right.

Reactions: Draiskull

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Another problem with how the coach's challenge works is the strategic element to it.

Knoblauch doesn't challenge because he doesn't want to put the opponent on the power play when he is up by a goal. Not because he doesn't believe he has a strong case.

Richardson, on the other hand, has little to lose already down by two late in the game so he might as well take the chance.

Not sure I want Toronto to be entirely in charge of challenges but at least it would take this aspect away, because it gets in the way of the original intent which is to get calls right.
An additional element here may have been that the video coach (Jeremy Coupal) is no longer wit the team. He was excellent at his job and the Oilers likely miss him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
An additional element here may have been that the video coach (Jeremy Coupal) is no longer wit the team. He was excellent at his job and the Oilers likely miss him.

Time to re-hire Woody as the video coach

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Time to re-hire Woody as the video coach
Good luck with that. He has gotten a taste for the big job now.

Last season Woody talked about their video system and praised both Jeremy Coupal and Noah Segall.

I dont know what the team is doing in that regard now but it sure looks like its taken a step back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad