The Metro - how do you see it? Short term and long term

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
As others have said, NYI was dealing with injuries and their first 14 games were on the road, I expect them to rise as they play more at home and get healthy.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Good post @Toe Pick in the off-season thread. You described my current feelings of this team (and the bigger picture going forward) pretty accurately.

It's just very hard to project near future of our young players - how long will it take for Sillinger to overcome his skating issues, when is KJ going to be strong and fast enough for a full-time top-6 role, and what about Tex, Marchenko, Bem, Chinakhov, Roslovic or Foudy? If even two of those forwards improve massively in 2022-23, we could be having a really strong group as early as 2023-24. In that case we wouldn't even have to wait for our 2023 first rounder(s) to grow into established NHLers for the team to "turn the corner", especially when taking into account the other promising talents already in the system.

I for one have high expectations for a player like Svozil, imo he's probably the most overlooked prospect within CBJ media and most casual fans. I expect him to surprise a bunch of people in this year's camp, and I can see him playing top-6 minutes on the backend at some point in the next two years. And if he succeeds to do it in that time window, his value/contribution to the team defense will be enormous. And don't forget he's just one example - with him, Jiricek, Ceulemans, Mateychuk and others we now have one of the best D prospect pools in the East. With strong and deep D core I like our chances against other Metro teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Metro looking longterm wise very potential to be up for the takin.

Atlantic is just a nightmare and more teams are entering the race to be elite.

But in Metro Islanders, Was& Pens are looking like they are past their prime and won’t accept a rebuild for a long time.

Flyers are a total mess and signing Gaudreau would just stuck them to average.
Their ownership refuses to rebuild and they don’t have the core to compete.

Rangers have lot of good things going on for them but cap will be an issue moving forward and especially if they sign Kadri.
Their best window is the next 2-3 years with the age of Zib, Panarin& Kadri.
Good thing for Columbus is that that’s not their window, basically the growth era.

& that leaves you with 2 teams.
Carolina is the best team with the Rangers in Metro now and moving forward.
But their question marks are lack of a superstar, how high is their ceiling and unwillingness to give out big contracts.

Devils is the big threat for Columbus with a longterm look.
Hughes, Hischier, Nemec, Hughes, Mercer.

So I’d say there’s definitely a spot for Columbus to be a consistent top2/3 team in the Metro in 2-3 years time.

So in short the best teams outside of Columbus in Metro for the next 3-5 years will be Carolina, Rangers& Devils.

With Columbus having the legimite chance to join them in 1-2 years and push a team or 2 down.

This division will have plenty of quality but I feel they will lack the truly elite teams like the Atlantic has.

Reactions: Halberdier

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Top Tier: Hurricanes & Rangers
Trying to hold off Father Time: Capitals & Penguins
Think the Rebuild/Reset is over: Blue Jackets & Devils
Bad: Flyers (but they have Torts, who might will them into WC contention)
Can't figure out: Islanders

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Top Tier: Hurricanes & Rangers
Trying to hold off Father Time: Capitals & Penguins
Think the Rebuild/Reset is over: Blue Jackets & Devils
Bad: Flyers (but they have Torts, who might will them into WC contention)
Can't figure out: Islanders
A lot will depend on how the Islanders and Capitals look next year.

The Isles have elite goaltending, their defense is good on paper, they are certainly expected to have a better season, but who knows how they actually perform.

The Capitals improved their goaltending, but Backstrom career seems to be in jeopardy due to injuries. If Ovie has another freak season, they will contend for the play offs

Reactions: LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

NYR
NYI
NJ
WSH
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Gustafsson - Schneider​
Pelech - Pulock
Romanov - Dobson
Aho - Mayfield​
Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Bahl - Miller​
Fehervary - Carlson
Sandin - Jensen
Edmundson-vRiemsdyk​
top D prospects:
LD Jones
LD Robertson
RD Emberson
top D prospects:
LD Bolduc
LD Odelius
LD George
top D prospects:
RD Nemec
RD Casey
LD Karpovich/Vilen
top D prospects:
RD Iorio
RD Chesley
LD Allen
PIT
PHI
CAR
CBJ
Graves - Letang
Pettersson - Karlsson
Jospeh - Ruhwedel​
Sanheim - Ristolainen
Staal - York
Seeler - Walker​
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo​
Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Peeke
Bean/Bo/Blanks/Gud​
top D prospects:
LD Pickering
LD Belliveau
LD Pieniniemi
top D prospects:
LD Andrae
RD Bonk
LD Zamula
top D prospects:
LD Nikishin
RD Morrow
RD Heimosalmi/Honka
top D prospects:
RD Jiricek
LD Mateychuk
LD Svozil

(I selected three D prospects for each team from HF prospect polls and THW)

How would people here rank Metro teams' defenses for 2023-24? For me Hurricanes and Devils seem to have the strongest D core. Followed by Rangers, Islanders and Penguins. Then CBJ and Caps. Philly is the weakest.

What about 2024-25? How long do we have to wait until CBJ will arguably have top-3 defense in metro?

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
NYR
NYI
NJ
WSH
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Gustafsson - Schneider​
Pelech - Pulock
Romanov - Dobson
Aho - Mayfield​
Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Bahl - Miller​
Fehervary - Carlson
Sandin - Jensen
Edmundson-vRiemsdyk​
top D prospects:
LD Jones
LD Robertson
RD Emberson
top D prospects:
LD Bolduc
LD Odelius
LD George
top D prospects:
RD Nemec
RD Casey
LD Karpovich/Vilen
top D prospects:
RD Iorio
RD Chesley
LD Allen
PIT
PHI
CAR
CBJ
Graves - Letang
Pettersson - Karlsson
Jospeh - Ruhwedel​
Sanheim - Ristolainen
Staal - York
Seeler - Walker​
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo​
Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Peeke
Bean/Bo/Blanks/Gud​
top D prospects:
LD Pickering
LD Belliveau
LD Pieniniemi
top D prospects:
LD Andrae
RD Bonk
LD Zamula
top D prospects:
LD Nikishin
RD Morrow
RD Heimosalmi/Honka
top D prospects:
RD Jiricek
LD Mateychuk
LD Svozil

(I selected three D prospects for each team from HF prospect polls and THW)

How would people here rank Metro teams' defenses for 2023-24? For me Hurricanes and Devils seem to have the strongest D core. Followed by Rangers, Islanders and Penguins. Then CBJ and Caps. Philly is the weakest.

What about 2024-25? How long do we have to wait until CBJ will arguably have top-3 defense in metro?
For me, NJ and CAR have established D that are both strong now and should be for a few years. Rangers next, in my opinion but they fall off in their prospect pool so the depth could be a problem if their top 6 falls flat/injured. Beyond that, I'm not really impressed with any current group. Something about the Pens that I just don't get a feeling is a strong enough group. They have two offensive studs (one that doesn't know where his own blueline is) and are aging. CBJ remains interesting to me because we need to see what a new structure does for them and if the acquisitions are actually going to drive them forward in the short term to allow the long term prospects to develop. CBJ needs 2-3 years to be the top group in the Metro and that implies that the top 3 on depth (doesn't include Ceulemans) actually develop as it appears they might. CBJ could be (could be) deepest and strongest overall within 3 years with a core to stay there for a while. Only the Devils and Hurricanes probably keep up in the top half.

Certainly interesting to see but the high end expectations of the prospect pool will have a lot to say in the next couple years. Flame out and that's more trouble...obviously.

Reactions: tunnelvision

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I got:

Carolina
Jersey
Rangers
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Islanders
Caps
Philly

I’m banking on upside with us over NYI.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Thanks for doing this. I was thinking of doing something similar. (I was going to include goalies, too.)

My ranking is something similar.

Canes
Devils
Rangers
Penguins (if they are healthy)
Islanders (they have a great top pair)
Jackets
Capitals (it will be interesting to see how Sandin does)
Flyers

Going forward, I think the Devils (Hughes, Nemec) and Canes (Nikishin, Morrow in the pipeline) are still the best.

Nikishin is a third round pick. That is the kind of guy I‘d like to be taking chances on in the 3rd round and later - every year I’d draft a decent-sized Russian defenseman or two who can develop in the KHL for a few seasons. Even if you don’t need them, they have great trade value if they hit. I don’t think the Canes would trade Nikishin for the 10th pick in the 2024 draft.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Nikishin is a third round pick. That is the kind of guy I‘d like to be taking chances on in the 3rd round and later - every year I’d draft a decent-sized Russian defenseman or two who can develop in the KHL for a few seasons. Even if you don’t need them, they have great trade value if they hit.
Do have any idea how many decent-sized Russian dmen have been drafted in rounds 3-7 in the last decade, and how many of them have panned out?

How likely it is to find that type of gem in later rounds (using 1-2 late round picks each year on Russian D) whose ultimate value will be higher than players like Dumais and Svozil? Not sure if that is a smart draft strategy.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nikishin is a third round pick. That is the kind of guy I‘d like to be taking chances on in the 3rd round and later - every year I’d draft a decent-sized Russian defenseman or two who can develop in the KHL for a few seasons.

You'd think from this comment that there are many great Russian D out there from the KHL, that they have a juggernaut D group on their national team or something. There's only a couple great D in the world that developed in the KHL.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You'd think from this comment that there are many great Russian D out there from the KHL, that they have a juggernaut D group on their national team or something. There's only a couple great D in the world that developed in the KHL.

How tall are they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad