The Messy End Between Jim Benning and the Canucks, 1990 and 1991.

JA

With the recent developments that the Vancouver Canucks have approached Jim Benning to become the franchise's new general manager, I suppose there is one small bit of background information that probably has no relevance anymore but may as well be heard anyway. The Canucks and Benning parted ways on questionable terms after a series of events beginning when the team inexplicably benched him for nine straight games despite strong performances from him.

Benning was acquired by the Canucks in a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs for Rick Lanz. He then spent the last four seasons of his career with the Canucks, playing well the majority of the time but receiving poor treatment from the organization at times. The Canucks were fairly ruthless, managed by Pat Quinn (and Brian Burke), and coached by Bob McCammon.

The last several weeks of Benning's career as an NHL player were messy. After playing well and becoming the team's leader in +/-, the Canucks sat him for nine consecutive games. They then told him not to attend practice and tried to send him to the minors in February 1990 -- Benning declined. Friction developed between both sides, resulting in Benning playing his final game in the NHL on March 4, 1990. Two games before his final game as a Canuck, Benning had a three-assist performance (February 28, 1990; a 7-7 tie against the Philadelphia Flyers). The Canucks still had 11 games remaining in their season after March 4, 1990.

Here is the basic chronology of events, told through articles published in 1990 and 1991:

Canucks find winning formula against Flyers in OT: [3* Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 19 Jan 1990: B2.

Defenceman Jim Benning, an effective but rarely conspicuous performer, was a spark for the Canucks, making the absence of Paul Reinhart (bad back) hardly noticeable.

"He was high steppin' out there!", said teammate Craig Coxe in admiration of Benning, who scored the Canucks' first goal, set up the second and generally spearheaded the attack. The offensive show put the spotlight on the unassuming defenceman who has been one of the Canucks' best players over the past month. Benning, affectionately known as Benji by his mates, is a plus-seven in his past 15 games.

"I'm being given a chance to play a little bit more," Benning said. "We're playing six defencemen. Before we used to play seven. Sometimes I didn't get on as much. Now I'm getting a chance to play every night. The last couple of games I've been on the power play, and that's also given me confidence."

Benning says it'll be interesting to see if the Canucks can add to the momentum of a one-game win streak tonight against the Blackhawks in Chicago.

"We're by no means out of it," Benning said. "If we keep working like we have, we'll put some wins together."
Don't look now. . .: [1* Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 05 Feb 1990: 25.

Vladimir Krutov, with an eye infection, Craig Coxe, Jim Benning and Doug Smith were the designated sitters last night.
Injury a pain in the neck: [FINAL Edition]
The Gazette [Montreal, Que] 15 Feb 1990: F2.

Rich Sutter sat out, serving the second of a five-game suspension assessed by the league. Other Canucks on the sidelines were Jim Benning, Vladimir Krutov, Doug Smith, Craig Coxe, Harold Snepsts and Daryl Stanley.
Oilers get call for overtime: [EARLY Edition]
Jim Matheson. Edmonton Journal [Edmonton, Alta] 17 Feb 1990: H1.

Canucks didn't dress Paul Reinhart, who rested a sore back after a long flight home from Montreal Thursday. Jim Benning, Steve Bozek and Daryl Stanley (severed tendons in a baby finger), also didn't dress.
Quick Facts: [3* Edition]
The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 17 Feb 1990: H2.

Canucks' record when trailing after two periods moved to 3-25-4 with last night's come-from-behind tie.

* Canucks are 13 points behind their pace of last season. They have scored 21 fewer goals and have allowed 39 more, a whopping 60 goal differential.

* Despite having the second best plus-minus among Canuck defenceman (plus-3), Jim Benning was scratched for the seventh straight game.

Agonizing NHL year: [1* Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 20 Feb 1990: 53.

* It appears Jim Benning and Doug Smith are the odd men out in the Canucks' recent youth movement.

Benning, one of Vancouver's better defencemen for a stretch in January, hasn't played in eight games, while Smith, a right wing, has sat out 16 of the last 18 games.

"I thought I was playing good hockey," said Benning. "I've never sat out more than two (consecutive) games in nine years (in the NHL). I'm just trying to prepare myself to play."

"When we were on the (four-game) winning streak Benning was out of the lineup," said coach Bob McCammon. "It's no reflection on him. It's just numbers and what you need."
D for disaster: Canucks hand Oilers the points: [3* Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 21 Feb 1990: B6.

Jim Benning, who with Harold Snepsts is the Canucks' plus/minus co-leader among defencemen (plus-3), was scratched for the ninth straight game.
Canucks demote Coxe, two balk: [FINAL Edition]
The Gazette [Montreal, Que] 23 Feb 1990: C2.

Forward Craig Coxe was sent to the minors yesterday by the Vancouver Canucks while two other veterans, Jim Benning and Doug Smith, pondered their futures with the team.

Coxe, 26, was dispatched to the Milwaukee Admirals of the International Hockey League after appearing in 18 NHL games this season. The centre-left winger had one assist and 62 minutes in penalties.

He agreed to report to Milwaukee for two weeks of conditioning, but Benning and Smith apparently balked at the demotion. None of the trio has played regularly for Vancouver in recent weeks.
Canucks pair in limbo: [1* Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 23 Feb 1990: 55.

The Vancouver Canucks have addressed their oversized roster - and it appears Jim Benning and Doug Smith are no longer in the NHL club's plans.

The Canucks announced yesterday that seldom-used forward Craig Coxe had been sent to their Milwaukee farm club in the International league for a two-week conditioning stint.

But also absent from yesterday's practice at the Pacific Coliseum were defenceman Benning and forward Smith.

Smith, who has sat out 17 of the last 19 games including nine straight, refused to comment directly on his status while leaving the rink yesterday.

"I was meeting with management," a downcast Smith said when asked why he hadn't practised.

Benning, who wasn't at the rink yesterday, expressed confusion earlier this week when asked about his non-playing status. The 26- year-old left-side defenceman has sat out the last nine games.

Benning, 26, in his ninth NHL season, is a plus-three in 42 games, one of the few Canucks players on that side of the ratings.

Pair of Canucks awaiting decisions: [3* Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 23 Feb 1990: C1.

After six weeks of roster paralysis - save two injury recalls - the floundering Vancouver Canucks finally started making some moves Thursday.

Bench warmers Craig Coxe, Doug Smith and Jim Benning, all 26, are the parties involved although each appeared headed in a different direction last night.

Coxe, the tough guy with no talent, has been dispatched to the Canucks' farm team in Milwaukee on a two-week 'conditioning' program.

Benning, the 185-pound defenceman who has been declared too small, was also asked to take a Milwaukee flight but remained at his West Vancouver home pondering his future.

The case of Benning seems the most curious. One of the Canucks' better defenceman in January, the Edmonton native vanished from the lineup following an 8-1 Canuck loss in Winnipeg Feb. 2.

The Canucks immediately embarked on a four-game winning streak, which has been followed by the current five-game (0-4-1) winless slide. The Canucks have surrendered 28 goals in the five games with Larry Melnyk, 30, Paul Reinhart, 30, and Harold Snepsts, 35, manning the left side most of the time.

"It's a touchy situation," Benning said last night. "I thought I was playing pretty well in January so I can't explain why I'm not playing anymore. It's not like I'm the oldest defenceman they have. After Kevan Guy (24), I'm the youngest.

"But I will say I haven't asked for a trade and I haven't been offered a buyout."

Asked if he felt he has played his last game as a Canuck, Benning said he "couldn't answer" that question. His response, however, seemed almost fatalistic.

"I've had a good run here," said Benning, who joined the Canucks in a Dec. 2, 1986 trade from Toronto. "Sometimes things in life don't turn out the way you want them to.

Brian Burke, the usually quotable director of hockey operations, said the team would not comment on the Benning-Smith situations until today.
Benning, Smith told not to practise: [Final Edition]
Edmonton Journal [Edmonton, Alta] 24 Feb 1990: H4.

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Jim Benning and forward Doug Smith have been told not to practise with the club until further notice.

Smith, 26, has three goals and four assists this season while Benning, also 26, has three goals and six assists.

Benning had been asked by the Canucks to report to their farm team in Milwaukee, but he declined. As an NHL veteran, Benning has the right to refuse the demotion.

Smith, however, was not asked to report to Milwaukee.
Benning wants to play or move on: [3* Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 24 Feb 1990: D2.

Jim Benning's decision to refuse a two-week demotion to Milwaukee essentially boils down to a "if you're not going to play me, then trade me" edict.

The 26-year-old defenceman was scratched for nine straight games before Vancouver Canuck management asked him to accept the 'conditioning' re-assignment earlier this week. On Friday, he told them no.

"What for?" Benning said last night from his West Vancouver home. "I don't want to be an ass but, basically, I want to see if there's any interest in me out there. My first choice is to play here but if I'm not in their plans, then they might as well move me along."

Benning and forward Doug Smith, who will either be traded or bought out, are the first casualties in the Canucks' long-awaited youth and size movement.

The Canuck braintrust felt the 185-pound Benning had problems with opposing forwards crashing the net. Smith, a 26-year-old journeyman, lost his job due to his own ineffectiveness and the Canucks' desire to play Dave Capuano, 21, Rob Murphy, 20, and Ronnie Stern, 23.

"We respect Jim Benning's decision not to go to Milwaukee but we don't agree with it," said Brian Burke, the Canucks' director of hockey operations. "We just wanted him to get some playing time in. Obviously he feels differently. Maybe this will force our hand."

The Canucks have not placed Benning on waivers, although they may do so as the drama unfolds.

"If he does clear waivers, he can be sent down whether he likes it or not," said Burke. "And then if he doesn't report, he can be suspended."

According to Canuck coach Bob McCammon, there has been little interest in either Benning or Smith. Both have apparently been available for a lengthy period of time.

"Every team has had a shot at them," said McCammon before boarding a plane for Los Angeles and tonight's game against the Kings.
Benning back with Canucks: Defenceman rejoins team after win in LA: [3* Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 26 Feb 1990: C2.

The Vancouver Canucks and defenceman Jim Benning have apparently settled their differences, for the short term anyway, as Benning rejoined the team at practice Sunday.

On Friday, the Canucks announced that Benning was no longer welcome after he balked at reporting to Milwaukee for a two-week conditioning assignment.

"Bob McCammon phoned me from Los Angeles Saturday morning and told me to rejoin the team and that they might use me," said Benning, who hasn't played since Feb. 2. The Canucks are 5-4-1 during this span, including Saturday's 6-4 win over the Kings.

"To tell you the truth, I don't know what's going on," he continued. "I never wanted to leave but they tried, for some reason, to get me out of here."

According to Canuck coach McCammon, the 185-pound Benning's major weakness is handling forwards crashing the net. McCammon said the Canucks need larger and stronger defencemen - undoubtedly true - and there was little point in carrying on with Benning.

"It's their choice, it's their team," said Benning. "God made me this size so what can I do? I think I'm a good enough skater to make up for my size and I don't get beat one-on-one.

"I know I'm not flashy but I try to show up every game and give an honest night's work."

Benning, 26, said the experience of being an outcast has been extremely unpleasant.

"It's been really hard on me and my wife," said the Edmonton native. "We have a three-year-old son and she's six months pregnant and we haven't slept in four nights worrying about what's going to happen.

"It's been tough reading in the papers that you're no good and that nobody wants you. If there is no interest in me and I get waived through the league, then I'll play the rest of the year in Milwaukee. I won't have a problem with that. The only thing I won't do is agree to a buyout."

McCammon, meanwhile, seemed almost casual about the whole affair.

"We wanted him to go down for two weeks so we could bring up Ian Kidd and take a look at him," said McCammon. "Jim Benning didn't want to go, which is his right, and now he's one of our seven defencemen."

Brian Burke, the Canucks' director of hockey operations, said he wasn't "surprised or bothered" by Benning's return.

"We told Jimmy we wanted him to stay home while we worked this thing out," said Burke last night. "Obviously Bob changed his mind and wanted him at practice. I do want to clear up the fact Jimmy has not been put on waivers yet, although we may decide to do that (today)."
Innovative, at least: [1* Edition]
Banks, David. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 01 Mar 1990: 67.

Defenceman Jim Benning had three assists in his first appearance in 12 games.

Hockey: [3* Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 01 Mar 1990: D8.

For a hockey team that fancies itself as fair and enlightened, the Vancouver Canucks have a funny way of showing it.

Take the bizarre case of defenceman Jim Benning, who figured to have played his final game for the Canucks after he was dropped from the team and made an outcast last week.

Benning, who wasn't being used by the Canucks, was asked to take a two-week demotion to Milwaukee for conditioning purposes - a move, after considerable soul-searching and personal anguish, he refused.

Rather than settling the situation privately, the Canucks made an unnecessary and publicized display by telling Benning to stay away from practice. Thus, the Canucks not only slighted a loyal employee who has given fair and reliable service, but also diminished whatever trade value Benning might have had. It was neither good public relations nor good business.

Then, abruptly, Benning, 26, was asked to return to practice last Saturday and by Tuesday had worked his way back into the starting lineup when an injury to Harold Snepsts created an opening.

In a return worthy of Rocky, Benning, in his first appearance in 12 games, had three assists as the Canucks played to a 7-7 overtime tie with the Philadelphia Flyers Wednesday night. In one evening, Benning compiled more points than teammate Larry Melnyk has managed in 65 games. He was a plus-one on the night and is now tied with the injured Brian Bradley for the team lead (plus-four).

Benning, Bradley and Rich Sutter are the only Canucks on the plus side this season, but the plus/minus statistic is one that coach Bob McCammon claims is "abused by the media."

Of course, coaches also abuse it too. Three seasons ago, when McCammon came to Vancouver, he dismissed Doug Lidster's 63-point season the previous year - a club single-season record for defencemen - by pointing to Lidster's horrible plus/minus.

The past week has been one of the most difficult in every respect for Benning, a first-round pick by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1981 who three times was voted the Leafs' best defenceman. In his first season under McCammon, 1987-88, Benning had seven goals and 26 assists in 77 games and was selected the Canucks' best defenceman in a vote by the same know-nothing media.

NOW, after nine seasons as a pro and more than 600 games played, the 185-pound Benning has read and listened to reports over the past week that the Canucks don't consider him big enough or strong enough to handle big forwards crashing around the net. Yet he stood defiantly in the battle zone in the third period against the Flyers, fencing with hulking Tim Kerr and getting clobbered over the helmet for his efforts.

Benning says it has been difficult hearing that he's not good enough to play for a 20th-place team anymore, but he doesn't apologize for his size and even defends management's right to change its mind.

"I've always tried to play a smart game and I've always felt I was a good enough skater to get the job done," Benning says. "The part about me not being physical enough never seemed to be a big issue before. But it's their team. They're the ones who make the decisions. If they decide they want a certain kind of player on this team, that's their choice."
Tip Ins: [Final Edition]
Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 10 Mar 1990: C2.

The Canucks scratched defencemen Jim Benning, Robert Nordmark and Larry Melnyk along with forwards Dave Capuano and Rob Murphy.

Mid-season slump proves deadly in end: [1* Edition]
Banks, David; Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 30 Mar 1990: 63.

Career Crises: Defencemen Larry Melnyk, Jim Benning and Robert Nordmark went from being reliable stop-gap players last year to having no apparent future with the team.

NHL GMs in chatty mood Trade rumor mill grinds away but no action likely until draft: [FIN Edition]
Damien Cox. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 15 June 1990: B4.

Benning finished: Jim Benning, a former first-round draft pick of the Maple Leafs, has been offered a termination contract by the Canucks. Benning saw limited action with the Canucks last year, and at one point was sent home.

Canucks' pair not nearly as free as NHL list says: [3* Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 02 July 1990: C4.

Meanwhile, defenceman Jim Benning and utility forward Steve Bozek both confirmed they have signed termination contracts offered by Quinn.

"My agent, Don Meehan, advised me it was the best deal available," said Benning, who had the month of June to sign with another NHL club but obviously found no takers. "If another team is interested they will still probably be able to get me in the waiver draft (October) and then they would only have to pay me for the rest of the season instead of signing me now to a one-and-one."

Benning is also aware he may find himself in Milwaukee, the Canucks' International League farm club.

"I don't have a clue what will happen - after last year," said the 27-year-old defenceman, who was essentially written off by the Canucks.

Benning is a nine-year NHL veteran but at 185 pounds is considered too small - at least by the Canucks.

The Canucks kept Benning for the start of the following season, but he quickly was injured and then was promptly sent down to the IHL, never to return to the NHL as a player again.
Blue line crew a shade green:: [1* Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 06 Sep 1990: 70.

Paul Reinhart's retirement yesterday meant a changing of the guard for the Vancouver Canucks.

That's as in rearguard, and it's a little sooner than planned.

Reinhart, the superbly skilled defenceman with the chronically bad back, called it a career, as did fellow blueliner Larry Melnyk. Both are 30.

Suddenly, Doug Lidster, 29, and Garth Butcher, 27, are the club's greybeards. Robert Nordmark, 28, and Jim Benning, 27, will also qualify - if they win jobs at training camp.

For now, the Canucks' left side consists of Benning and youngsters Adrien Plavsic, 20, and Jim Agnew, 24. The sudden openings on the depth chart also makes the signing of 19-year-old Czech defenceman Jiri Slegr a higher priority.

Odjick knows his role: [0* Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 14 Sep 1990: 70.

ICING - Utility forward Steve Bozek missed practice yesterday due to a sore back. Defenceman Jim Benning (bruised knee) and rookie centre Darin Bader (concussion) continue to sit out

Canucks look for answers as season gets underway: [4* Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 04 Oct 1990: D3.

Who's new?

Left winger Robert Kron, centres Rob Murphy and Petr Nedved, right winger Jay Mazur, defencemen Jim Agnew and Bob Dollas, reserve goalie Troy Gamble.

Who's gone?

Goalie Steve Weeks and defenceman Jim Benning have been assigned to Milwaukee, with the promise that attempts will be made to trade them to other NHL teams. Defenceman Paul Reinhart and Larry Melnyk retired and left winger Daryl Stanley signed with Winnipeg as a free agent.

Will Bob McCammon still be coaching the team next year?

McCammon is in the last year of his contract and a fast start is essential if he wants to exchange Christmas gifts with fellow Canucks. Besides his job, McCammon's credibility is at stake. He lost some of his players last season by playing the Soviets when their play didn't warrant the ice time. He won't be given the chance to make that mistake again.

Canucks missed the playoffs for the 10th time in 20 seasons and finished in 20th place, yet Quinn didn't make one major trade over the summer. Why?

Quinn did attempt to deal with Montreal for defenceman Craig Ludwig and pain-in-the-butt right winger Claude Lemieux, but his offer apparently wasn't attractive enough. Ludwig might have solved the Canucks' crying need for an abrasive, stay-at-home veteran defenceman. Going into his fourth year as GM, Quinn still hasn't been able to find the nasty, banging-type centre that he deemed essential when he took over in 1987. Murphy is big enough, but by nature he is too well-mannered to fill the role for long.

Many moves likely in Milwaukee: [1* Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 02 May 1991: 72.

In many ways the Milwaukee Admirals' season mirrored that of their parent Vancouver Canucks.

Just as Vancouver atoned somewhat for a mediocre season with a gritty showing in the playoffs before falling to the Smythe Division- leading Los Angeles Kings in six games, the Canucks' International League farm club was the last team to make their playoffs this season but extended the IHL-leading Peoria Rivermen to six games before bowing out in the first round.

And just as the Canucks' roster underwent major changes during the season, the Admirals will likely look a lot different before the first puck is dropped for real next fall.

One player who's on tenterhooks is goaltender Steve McKichan, who was on a termination contract this season and will shortly become a free agent.

"No, I haven't heard anything," cracked McKichan, 23, from his home in Sarnia, Ont. "Anybody out there need their lawns cut?"

McKichan didn't endear himself to Canucks director of hockey operations Brian Burke earlier in the year, accusing him of favoritism when Bob Mason, a former client of Burke when Burke was a player agent, was called up instead. (McKichan later apologized). But there would appear to be a goaltending spot available in Milwaukee, with Steve Weeks traded to Buffalo and Gus Morschauser's status clouded.

Definitely not returning are defenceman Jim Benning and right winger Andrew McBain, who were in their option years.

Benning spent the next year in Italy's Serie A league, playing 18 games with HC Varese before promptly retiring afterward as a player in late 1991. He became a scout for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim before the start of the 1993-94 NHL season.
Works Cited

Banks, David. "Innovative, at Least." The Province: 67. Mar 01 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Banks, David, and Jim Jamieson. "Mid-Season Slump Proves Deadly in End." The Province: 63. Mar 30 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Beamish, Mike. "Canucks Find Winning Formula Against Flyers in OT." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Jan 19 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Beamish, Mike. "Canucks Look for Answers as Season Gets Underway." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Oct 04 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Beamish, Mike. "D for Disaster: Canucks Hand Oilers the Points." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 21 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Beamish, Mike. "Hockey." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Mar 01 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

"Benning, Smith Told Not to Practise." Edmonton Journal: 0. Feb 24 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

"Canucks Demote Coxe, Two Balk." The Gazette: 0. Feb 23 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Cox, Damien. "NHL GMs in Chatty Mood Trade Rumor Mill Grinds Away but no Action Likely Until Draft." Toronto Star: 0. Jun 15 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

"Injury a Pain in the Neck." The Gazette: 0. Feb 15 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Agonizing NHL Year." The Province: 53. Feb 20 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Blue Line Crew a Shade Green:" The Province: 70. Sep 06 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Canucks Pair in Limbo." The Province: 55. Feb 23 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Don't Look Now. ." The Province: 25. Feb 05 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Many Moves Likely in Milwaukee." The Province: 72. May 02 1991. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Odjick Knows His Role." The Province: 70. Sep 14 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Matheson, Jim. "Oilers Get Call for Overtime." Edmonton Journal: 0. Feb 17 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Benning back with Canucks: Defenceman Rejoins Team After Win in LA." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 26 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Benning Wants to Play Or Move on." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 24 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Canucks' Pair Not nearly as Free as NHL List Says." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Jul 02 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Pair of Canucks Awaiting Decisions." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 23 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

"Quick Facts." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 17 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

"Tip Ins." Calgary Herald: 0. Mar 10 1990. ProQuest. Web. 9 May 2014 .

Last edited by a moderator:

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Good read. Surprising that Benning sounds enthusiastic about coming to Vancouver when Linden has strong ties to Quinn. Though I guess the chance to run your own team with a personal friend as a president is a strong lure.

Last edited by a moderator:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Interesting, but pretty irrelevant to the current situation. I'm sure if Benning wasn't interested there would be word out by now.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I guess bedtime stories are more your cup of tea then...?

Good read. Surprising that Benning sounds enthusiastic about coming to Vancouver when Linden has strong ties to Quinn. Though I guess the chance to run your own team with a personal friend as a president is a strong lure.

source?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Funny how a guy when he was a player was so ripped on for his size and non physical game then goes on to help build the Bruins hahah

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Seems like all the guilty parties are long gone. Bob McCammon seems particularly stupid.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i dunno...this is a stretch.

t-linden was unceremoniously traded from the canucks and now he's the president of hockey-ops.

nothing messy about it at all. pure business.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Damn. Well, I'm glad I'll never have to work for Pat Quinn, Brian Burke or Bob McCammon. They all seem like pretty massive jerks.. although people can change a lot in 20 years.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Heh. Thanks for the research, this was great. Hockey fandom for me is partly about the incredible skills but also about the human element, who makes it, who doesn't, what happens.

I don't remember the Benning denouement in Vancouver but I can appreciate the guy's situation. To return in triumph as the boss, after being ignominiously demoted and expunged would be pretty damn satisfying for him, and one of those "don't burn your bridges" reminders to the rest of us.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He may have had a problem with the Canucks management team 20+ years ago, but I don't see that changing anything about his current situation. He's probably forgotten about this long ago.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The Canucks are just a banner we flock behind. The people waiving it always changes. For Benning it will represent an open job.

I hope he gets the job, personally. I think he probably already has it, and they're waiting for the round to end to announce it.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Well, Pat Quinn is still the advisor. Dunno how much power he actually has.

Lets be honest, that's a guy getting thrown a bone to let him finish his career a Canuck. He will have little to zero impact on Canucks moves. I highly doubt Quinn being given a role will the Canucks will have any bearing on whether or not Benning comes here.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Lets be honest, that's a guy getting thrown a bone to let him finish his career a Canuck. He will have little to zero impact on Canucks moves. I highly doubt Quinn being given a role will the Canucks will have any bearing on whether or not Benning comes here.

That really depends on Linden. Pat Quinn was brought on as an advisor because of Linden's lack of managerial experience. If Linden puts a lot of weight on PQ's advises then PQ will have a big influence on the club's decisions and may even butt heads with Benning.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
That really depends on Linden. Pat Quinn was brought on as an advisor because of Linden's lack of managerial experience. If Linden puts a lot of weight on PQ's advises then PQ will have a big influence on the club's decisions and may even butt heads with Benning.

This isn't 90's or even 2000's Pat Quinn. The guy is in his 70's with degrading health. He's an advisor, but really he's more valuable bridging the gap between the Old Boys Club and the new kid (Trevor).

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
If Benning was deemed washed up and pushed out at 26 I wonder what his attitude will be toward our multitude of 30+ vets. While none of our D is Chara's age it's different when playing out West.

Science is finding more and more deleterious cumulative effects related to travel and I hope the next GM is at least as aware of it as MG was. The only thing that can counter it somewhat, in addition to playing four lines, is having a young team, younger than the average NHL squad. Being a Westerner and having done the grind should help.

Wetcoaster

With the recent developments that the Vancouver Canucks have approached Jim Benning to become the franchise's new general manager, I suppose there is one small bit of background information that probably has no relevance anymore but may as well be heard anyway. The Canucks and Benning parted ways on questionable terms after a series of events beginning when the team inexplicably benched him for nine straight games despite strong performances from him.

Benning was acquired by the Canucks in a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs for Rick Lanz. He then spent the last four seasons of his career with the Canucks, playing well the majority of the time but receiving poor treatment from the organization at times. The Canucks were fairly ruthless, managed by Pat Quinn (and Brian Burke), and coached by Bob McCammon.

The last several weeks of Benning's career as an NHL player were messy. After playing well and becoming the team's leader in +/-, the Canucks sat him for nine consecutive games. They then told him not to attend practice and tried to send him to the minors in February 1990 -- Benning declined. Friction developed between both sides, resulting in Benning playing his final game in the NHL on March 4, 1990. Two games before his final game as a Canuck, Benning had a three-assist performance (February 28, 1990; a 7-7 tie against the Philadelphia Flyers). The Canucks still had 11 games remaining in their season after March 4, 1990.

Here is the basic chronology of events, told through articles published in 1990 and 1991:
:handclap:

Excellent post - well-researched and sourced.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

What? Since when is Quinn on the payroll? Wouldn't he be considered Linden's confidant or mentor?

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
The case of Benning seems the most curious. One of the Canucks' better defenceman in January, the Edmonton native vanished from the lineup following an 8-1 Canuck loss in Winnipeg Feb. 2.

ahh memories.... I was at that game in Winnipeg.

I was certain that McCammon was fired after that game. He came out of the dressing room crying - no exaggeration - he had tears in his eyes. I thought he got canned after the game but wasn't.

I believe Dan Quinn had the lone Canucks goal. I was the one Canuck fan in Winnipeg arena that night (or so it seemed - the others may have gone into hiding).

I even got into a fight after the game... not a big one as my buddy grabbed me and carried me out, but some idiot Jets fan started throwing insults and started poking my chest (the Canucks logo on my jersey), so I took a swing at him... took a punch and was then carried out. Was pretty intense though.. this was all by the locker rooms after the game.

Still also remember the huge impression that Larionov left on me that night.... spoke with him after the game and knew right then the guy was all class!

I'd like to say "good ol' days" ... but they really weren't.

Though it wasn't long after we made the blockbuster trade with St. Louis which would change the fortunes of the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad