Line Combos: The Martinook - Richardson - Cousins line ( STICKYBOIS)

What will become of this unit?

• Total voters

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I had some random thoughts about this but didn't want to continue to clog up other threads so.....

For one thing it's not just eye test and bluster from the organization, these guys are among the top of the team in all the relative numbers since the start of February.

NHL.com - Stats

But for all the talk of their good play lately, they haven't really got on the score sheet themselves much.

NHL.com - Stats

So to recap, good at generating shots and keeping the puck; not particularly great at actually scoring.

But that's still a very good thing from your fourth third line. Question is, will it last?

I was reminded of the flash in the pan OMG line from the glory days of Wayne Gretzky's Coyotes.
Some random guys thrown together and ended up clicking for awhile. They flamed out relatively quickly as I recall, but they had a good run of 20 games or so.
COYOTES FIND SUCCESS WITH

Those guys actually got on the scoresheet more though for awhile. Saprykin probably had more raw talent than any of the STICKYBOIS but they also had AHL level Zigomanis on the line. Not as good defensively as the sticky crew.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Stickybuns...if we are going to get sticky, let's get sticky.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Did anyone catch what Walsh mumbled when he was interviewing Cousins after a game recently? It sounded like that line already has a nickname in the team, but I couldn't understand what he said. Conga line?

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
They were a great line the season before with Doan in place of Cousins... until a Canuck monster snapped Richardson's leg like a match stick. He's only starting to look like he's getting his game back, I doubt he gets all the way back to early 16-17 form. I don't care if they score anyway, so long as they keep the other team's top unit in their own end game after game.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm mixed on the line. Yes, they play well, but, as mentioned, they rarely score. Our main problem continues to be scoring consistently, so while I wouldn't mind seeing them continue their success, I also wouldn't be too adverse to making some changes. Obviously, you kind of have to keep Martinook and Richardson together, but I wouldn't mind seeing some changes on the RW.

Personally, I think Cousins has played well, so why not try a Domi - Dvorak - Cousins or Perlini - Dvorak - Cousins line?

Or, how about a Martinook - Richardson - Panik or Martinook - Richardson - Fischer line every once in a while?

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Back in my college days (late 70's) I had a great anthropology professor who used on an exam the example of an invented Pacific island tribe who were discovered by an order of priests. The priests had no luck prosylitizing the natives. (They were eventually eaten.) The lasting impact of the priests was the introduction of chewing gum. Chewing gum became the standard for resiliency. The tribe changed its culture to incorporate the gum and tribal songs and dances were "I am sticky, you're not sticky" and "I'm sticky like Wrigleys". We were asked to write an essay on the cultural contamination of "stickiness".

Thank you, Dr. Sidney Mintz, and may you rest in peace. Alav Ha-Sholom.

vhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Mintz

Reactions: Grimes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm mixed on the line. Yes, they play well, but, as mentioned, they rarely score. Our main problem continues to be scoring consistently, so while I wouldn't mind seeing them continue their success, I also wouldn't be too adverse to making some changes. Obviously, you kind of have to keep Martinook and Richardson together, but I wouldn't mind seeing some changes on the RW.

Personally, I think Cousins has played well, so why not try a Domi - Dvorak - Cousins or Perlini - Dvorak - Cousins line?

Or, how about a Martinook - Richardson - Panik or Martinook - Richardson - Fischer line every once in a while?
That is the one line I would not mess with at the moment. They play have played against other teams top lines and have kept them off the score sheet.

Reactions: kbay and cobra427

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Typical Coyote thinking is to put those 4th liners on scoring lines. Let's not go back to that. Keep the 4th line together doing what they do and bring in more talent to try and get some actual offense out of the top three lines. There's a reason why we always have good 4th liners and a roster with 6 or 7 of those guys. They're easy to find/replace. A roster full of those guys will never get you anything more than an average team that gets smoked in the first round. Haven't we seen enough of that?

Reactions: CC96 and _Del_

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
So, if we don't touch the line, then we need to play them LESS. Yes they are good at shutting down an offense, but that doesn't help us win games unless we score some first. Playing them so much in games where we are behind most of the game is a fruitless endeavor (on the most part). We still have to get our rockin' offensive players time to score.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Typical Coyote thinking is to put those 4th liners on scoring lines. Let's not go back to that. Keep the 4th line together doing what they do and bring in more talent to try and get some actual offense out of the top three lines. There's a reason why we always have good 4th liners and a roster with 6 or 7 of those guys. They're easy to find/replace. A roster full of those guys will never get you anything more than an average team that gets smoked in the first round. Haven't we seen enough of that?
Bingo!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So, if we don't touch the line, then we need to play them LESS. Yes they are good at shutting down an offense, but that doesn't help us win games unless we score some first. Playing them so much in games where we are behind most of the game is a fruitless endeavor (on the most part). We still have to get our rockin' offensive players time to score.
Right now, this line has been playing against many of the other team top line and keeping them off the score board. That is almost as good as scoring. Let the other lines pull their weight with a bit of offense.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Right now, this line has been playing against many of the other team top line and keeping them off the score board. That is almost as good as scoring. Let the other lines pull their weight with a bit of offense.
Agreed, our play the last 10 games or so has been great because of our goal tending, D being healthy and this line as out shut down line. They are a big reason other teams don't score as much against us. Our most effective line right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, our play the last 10 games or so has been great because of our goal tending, D being healthy and this line as out shut down line. They are a big reason other teams don't score as much against us. Our most effective line right now.
Correct, and who would have thought that two months ago. I think we wanted Richardson, Cousins and Martinook traded, and to give Duke more ice time. :)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If they don’t call them the sticky boys I’ll be very disappointed.

Bring the three back next year. We have one of four combinations locked for next season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If they don’t call them the sticky boys I’ll be very disappointed.

Bring the three back next year. We have one of four combinations locked for next season.
Let's not jump to conclusions here. Let the year run out and see if they can maintain there play and if other teams adjust.

Reactions: Bandit34

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Disagree. We don't have the talent to go 1st line v 1st line. We'll get blown out of games. The 4th line is a very solid shutdown line. Isolating our 4th on their 1st favors us. Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines against their 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I don't think that our 1st line will compete next year either as, unless we should get Toews (mentioned to me by a guy who knows his hockey earlier today), we won't have the center to make a 1st line on 1st line competitive. In this Tocchet has it just right.

Reactions: kbay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Disagree. We don't have the talent to go 1st line v 1st line. We'll get blown out of games. The 4th line is a very solid shutdown line. Isolating our 4th on their 1st favors us. Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines against their 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I don't think that our 1st line will compete next year either as, unless we should get Toews (mentioned to me by a guy who knows his hockey earlier today), we won't have the center to make a 1st line on 1st line competitive. In this Tocchet has it just right.
Of course we need more high end talent, but for any rebuilding team it takes time for players to grow into their roles. Let's see what happens this off season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Of course we need more high end talent, but for any rebuilding team it takes time for players to grow into their roles. Let's see what happens this off season.
Well, let me know when you think that we have a competitive first line. My guess is 3 years. Until then we will have 2 second lines and using a shutdaown line should continue.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Well, let me know when you think that we have a competitive first line. My guess is 3 years. Until then we will have 2 second lines and using a shutdaown line should continue.

All I was saying is leave these guys alone and try to build the other three lines with talent that can score. I don't care what you number them. Keep matching them up against the other team's 1st line. I don't give a shit about that. I just don't want 2 or three lines that can't score. That's what we always have. We'll never be a contender for anything like that and I certainly don't want watch more of it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
All I was saying is leave these guys alone and try to build the other three lines with talent that can score. I don't care what you number them. Keep matching them up against the other team's 1st line. I don't give a **** about that. I just don't want 2 or three lines that can't score. That's what we always have. We'll never be a contender for anything like that and I certainly don't want watch more of it.
Rest easy, my friend. We have a true 1st line forward in Keller going forward. True second liner in Perlini. Fischer, who knows? And, we have a very good blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad