The "Lowe Must Go!" Era

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't think the fans had much effect, but Lowe did do himself in I think. That conference April 2013 when MacT was made GM was probably a huge wakeup call for him in how incompetent he was at his job. He really faded away from public view after that press conference. He eventually asked for a paid leave of absence when the fans were really calling for his head, and that likely lead him (combined with the epic failure of his new hand picked GM) to figure out how he could get out of the mess he made unscathed. He did end up with a good solution, toss MacT under the bus (who was throwing Lowe under the bus in the media to try to save his own skin) and bring in Hockey Canada buddies that were actually competent.

In the end, you kind do have to take the good with the bad. Lowe sucked terribly as a manager, just so epically terrible. But he did have some good connections in the end and did come to terms with his failure and was finally able to swallow his pride and step away from hockey ops. I don't think he should get much credit at all if the team turns things around though, he should be remembered for the team record during his time as POHO.

Lowe as POHO:
Oilers average points/season 74.
2nd worst team average points/season 84.
League average points/season 94.

Arguably one of the worst runs for any sports franchise in any professional league all time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It had zero effect on anything. It still has zero effect on anything. The team did not have any kind of religious experience to realize the problems.

I guarantee you that if this team reaches it's potential 4 or 5 years from now people will back track and heap all kinds of praise on Lowe and Mact for building the team.

I doubt that. They made a bunch of no brainer 1st overall picks as well as other very high 1st rounders, that you or I could have made. Any potential reached will be due to our present executive team by changing the org and fleshing out the rest of the roster properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad