The "Lowe Must Go!" Era

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I just wanted to open up some discussion on the "Lowe Must Go" era of Oilers hockey.

What effect, if any, do you think this played into what the Oilers are today as a team? Can we really attribute it all to the "McDavid effect"?

Do fans, can fans, play a part in a teams destiny? Obviously, the only direct effect we as fans have on a team is ticket sales. But do you think the billboards, boos, chants, news paper articles, blogs, etc, etc played a part in the back on Nicholson's and Katz' heads when they made their decisions this summer?

It's an interesting thought to me, and in my opinion, I think the fans apart of the "Lowe Must Go" shenanigans actually played a part in the overhaul that's happened today.

Thoughts?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I just wanted to open up some discussion on the "Lowe Must Go" era of Oilers hockey.

What effect, if any, do you think this played into what the Oilers are today as a team? Can we really attribute it all to the "McDavid effect"?

Do fans, can fans, play a part in a teams destiny? Obviously, the only direct effect we as fans have on a team is ticket sales. But do you think the billboards, boos, chants, news paper articles, blogs, etc, etc played a part in the back on Nicholson's and Katz' heads when they made their decisions this summer?

It's an interesting thought to me, and in my opinion, I think the fans apart of the "Lowe Must Go" shenanigans actually played a part in the overhaul that's happened today.

Thoughts?

It would have had to been a consideration.

There's no amount of BS that could have been spun to the folks at the top that would have masked the clear discontent with the fanbase. I'd also presume that they started to see a hit in their pocketbook from diminished concessions and parking revenue from fewer people at the games.

Had to love when LaForge blamed what was likely the lowest attendance at an Oiler game over the last 10 years on the weather. Sure, because that has stopped Oiler fans in the past. :help:

Last edited:

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
It would have had to been a consideration.

There's no amount of BS that could have been spun to the folks at the top that would have masked the clear discontent with the fanbase. I'd also presume that they started to see a hit in their pocketbook from diminished concessions and parking revenue from fewer people at the games.

Had to love when LaForge blamed what was likely the lowest attendance at an Oiler game over the last 10 years on the whether. Sure, because that has stopped Oiler fans in the past. :help:

Doesn't northlands get the concession and parking revenue?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It had zero effect on anything. It still has zero effect on anything. The team did not have any kind of religious experience to realize the problems.

I guarantee you that if this team reaches it's potential 4 or 5 years from now people will back track and heap all kinds of praise on Lowe and Mact for building the team.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It didn't mean much because it didn't impact their bottomline all that much. Katz doesn't care what we think - just hope much he makes and if he can be friends with glory Oilers.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
It had zero effect on anything. It still has zero effect on anything. The team did not have any kind of religious experience to realize the problems.

I guarantee you that if this team reaches it's potential 4 or 5 years from now people will back track and heap all kinds of praise on Lowe and Mact for building the team.

^not in my world!

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Couple of bright spots with locking up the kids long term. The mother of all collapses after our glory years. KL and Mac destroyed a special young franchise.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

I doubt it. All they did was suck. I can't see the worst period in oiler hockey being forgiven that easily.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I think the empty seats may have caused concern.
Doubt the other stuff registered at all.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Lowe still works for the Oilers and is in the arena-- ERA NOT OVER YET

635709460190147578-USP-NHL-NHL-Draft.jpg

OBC still in full effect

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Lowe and MacT still working for the Oilers today proves to me that the tanking was all intentional and at the explicit instruction of the owner. The 'Lowe Must Go' had zero effect on the outcome, other than to create an even greater relief than when change was made.

I have also had the thought that if I was an owner in a sports league, I would agree to a secret system by which the draft lottery was fixed and that any team in the running would be able to bid on the top draft pick. The winner's bid money would then go to the other lottery teams proportional to their odds of having won if the bidding was not fixed. I would have Colonel Sanders, the Pope and the Queen arbitrate any disputes. It is by this method that I think Katz bought McDavid and a side tub of macaroni salad.

Seriously though, McDavid probably adds $300 - $500 million to Katz's franchise value by 2025. Owners should be able to bid on that kind of windfall.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
He still needs to go, seeing him at the draft table brought my optimism down considerably

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

You guarantee it? Really?

The only thing they did was get extremely lucky. Lowe was horrible at his job.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Lowe and MacT still working for the Oilers today proves to me that the tanking was all intentional and at the explicit instruction of the owner. The 'Lowe Must Go' had zero effect on the outcome, other than to create an even greater relief than when change was made.

I have also had the thought that if I was an owner in a sports league, I would agree to a secret system by which the draft lottery was fixed and that any team in the running would be able to bid on the top draft pick. The winner's bid money would then go to the other lottery teams proportional to their odds of having won if the bidding was not fixed. I would have Colonel Sanders, the Pope and the Queen arbitrate any disputes. It is by this method that I think Katz bought McDavid and a side tub of macaroni salad.

Seriously though, McDavid probably adds $300 - $500 million to Katz's franchise value by 2025. Owners should be able to bid on that kind of windfall.

:dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce: lol

where is that tinfoil hat smiley

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

As long as Stauffer is around Lowe and Mactavish will get tons of praise for what they did here before acquiring Macdavid. Whether the fans eat it up or not is another story. Stauffer will do it though, he's shameless and doesn't care about his credibility.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Does any one ever acknowledge all the good Kevin Lowe has done for this city over the last 30 years

I really hope that Mr.Lowe is employed by the oilers until the day he dies just to spite the people who have some crazy ****ed up assumption that he actually has a effect on how the players act on and off the ice(he's not the coach)

They hired ****** coaches and no one wants to live here

As one of the other posters said
Can we pleeease stop talking about it and be a positive fan base like we once were

You would be surprised how far a little adrenaline will go when a crowd cheers for you(ala 2006)

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

But, man, remember when he was wild and crazy? Remember the cup run and the first five years after that? It's hard to believe all the insane moves this man did. Remember those offer sheets? Remember that bizarre and bitter feud with Burke? And for a while everyone was afraid Sam Gagner might get offer-sheeted. Remember the revolving door of players? Patrick O'Sullivan, Erik Cole, Joffrey Lupul, Joni Pitkanen, Lubo Visnovsky, Sheldon Souray, and this list goes on and on. Remember his public attempts to woo players like Hossa, Nylander, Jagr? Remember that ridiculously embarrassing Dany Heatley episode?
If there's something to be said for Kevin Lowe, he really did try his hardest to fix this team. He made drastic, desperate moves, anything to help his Oilers inch a bit higher in the standings. Unfortunately, he failed. But, damn, he did try.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
But, man, remember when he was wild and crazy? Remember the cup run and the first five years after that? It's hard to believe all the insane moves this man did. Remember those offer sheets? Remember that bizarre and bitter feud with Burke? And for a while everyone was afraid Sam Gagner might get offer-sheeted. Remember the revolving door of players? Patrick O'Sullivan, Erik Cole, Joffrey Lupul, Joni Pitkanen, Lubo Visnovsky, Sheldon Souray, and this list goes on and on. Remember his public attempts to woo players like Hossa, Nylander, Jagr? Remember that ridiculously embarrassing Dany Heatley episode?
If there's something to be said for Kevin Lowe, he really did try his hardest to fix this team. He made drastic, desperate moves, anything to help his Oilers inch a bit higher in the standings. Unfortunately, he failed. But, damn, he did try.

****in Eh

:yo::handclap::nod:

DyerMaker66*

I'd give Chiarelli the credit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd give Chiarelli the credit.

History will say that too. If the Oilers are successful, the lesson that fans and analysts around the league will take away is that sometimes it can be beneficial to be dismally awful for a while, build up top draft picks for 5 or 6 years straight, and then hand those resources over to a GM who knows what he's doing. This isn't like Murray in Anaheim before Burke, where he brought in major talent from other avenues than top picks.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

only in that the changes may have happened anyway. But, no one likes to be embarrassed, especially egotistical Billionaires (which I suspect is a required characteristic of self made billionaires).

The thrown jerseys, the billboard, the newspaper ad became national and even international news; that's embarrassing. The ad was published in January, house cleaning in April. How do you know it had zero effect?

It was Lowe's idea the go after Chiarelli. Did the public embarrassment get to him? I say it did. He's human; I know I would have resigned from that public beating.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Does any one ever acknowledge all the good Kevin Lowe has done for this city over the last 30 years

I really hope that Mr.Lowe is employed by the oilers until the day he dies just to spite the people who have some crazy ****ed up assumption that he actually has a effect on how the players act on and off the ice(he's not the coach)

They hired ****** coaches and no one wants to live here

As one of the other posters said
Can we pleeease stop talking about it and be a positive fan base like we once were

You would be surprised how far a little adrenaline will go when a crowd cheers for you(ala 2006)

:amazed: I don't think he did anything positive for this city hockey-wise except for one summer that proved to be a one-off based on fear from other GMs and Pronger regarding the salaries. Everything else is not hockey-related and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of his career in oilers management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad