The Lost Decade: comparing 10 years out of the playoffs

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
header.png

florida.png

edmonton.png

Here is a snapshot of the two team's lost decades. (minus the final 22 EDM games to complete this season)

Florida lost in round 1 following 10 years of suck. The team has 4 playoff appearances total.

Edmonton looks to keep the suck train rolling down the tracks after 20 total playoff appearances including 5 Stanley Cups.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
1979-80 to 1999-00: 17 playoff appearances in 21 seasons (81%)

Lowe goes upstairs:

2000-01 to 2015-16: 3 playoff appearances in 15 seasons (20%)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
header.png

florida.png

edmonton.png

Here is a snapshot of the two team's lost decades. (minus the final 22 EDM games to complete this season)

Florida lost in round 1 following 10 years of suck. The team has 4 playoff appearances total.

Edmonton looks to keep the suck train rolling down the tracks after 20 total playoff appearances including 5 Stanley Cups.

Cyclical nature of the sport he says...:laugh:

or maybe it was winning

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Patience they tell us. Patience.

What a load.

This team still won't make the playoffs next year (11 years in a row); the solace in that is Katz, KLowe and MacT for all eternity will own the title as "most incompetent managers in all of hockey history"!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Oilers lose by one. Refs screw them over. Schultz is terrible. Nurse should go to the AHL. Yak is a bust.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think Edmonton is a victim of circumstance in some ways.

I mean they aren't a good team....but this is a result of several failed strategies or abandoned strategies since the rebuild started. Now you have a rag-tag group of entitled scorers that don't even mesh well together offensively. I can only recall one two month period where Hall-RNH-Ebs was a dominant scoring line and aside from that all of our top picks really aren't showing sustained chemistry--too many cooks. But I'd also like to think there is some politics involved in the Oilers putrid putrid rebuild.

This season I think you have the NHL trying to manage a cluster**** of priorities. They have pending concussion litigation, expansion pressures to get national TV deals in the States, "marketability of the game" problems (goal scoring, ASG, Olympics, draft), along with the Arizona fiasco, and declining cap.

So now I have to wonder about the amount of Canadian teams underachieving....is it related to the dollar....or to expansion? Montreal's sewering is convenient for two expansion sunbelt franchises, eh? Perhaps they are doing the league another favor in return for blocking a Quebec expansion?

Yes....I've gone full tin-hat....been there for a while now. I guess it depends whether you think the league influences player movement, and "game management" from officials and perhaps influences managers as well. Personally, I think it actually makes more sense for leagues to be controlled and manipulated to achieve certain outcomes.....specifically if its a long-term benefit for everyone. Remember when Wayne Gretzky was traded to LA to build the hockey market in California?

In conclusion, league is ****ing us.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Really shows what happens when you acquire a solid defensive group in Ekblad, Campbell, Kulikov, Petrovic, Gudbranson, Mitchell.

Anything is possible when you have a defensively strong group. Nothing is possible when you have an offensively strong group but lack a defensively strong group.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I mean they aren't a good team....but this is a result of several failed strategies or abandoned strategies since the rebuild started. Now you have a rag-tag group of entitled scorers that don't even mesh well together offensively. I can only recall one two month period where Hall-RNH-Ebs was a dominant scoring line and aside from that all of our top picks really aren't showing sustained chemistry--too many cooks. But I'd also like to think there is some politics involved in the Oilers putrid putrid rebuild.

This season I think you have the NHL trying to manage a cluster**** of priorities. They have pending concussion litigation, expansion pressures to get national TV deals in the States, "marketability of the game" problems (goal scoring, ASG, Olympics, draft), along with the Arizona fiasco, and declining cap.

So now I have to wonder about the amount of Canadian teams underachieving....is it related to the dollar....or to expansion? Montreal's sewering is convenient for two expansion sunbelt franchises, eh? Perhaps they are doing the league another favor in return for blocking a Quebec expansion?

Yes....I've gone full tin-hat....been there for a while now. I guess it depends whether you think the league influences player movement, and "game management" from officials and perhaps influences managers as well. Personally, I think it actually makes more sense for leagues to be controlled and manipulated to achieve certain outcomes.....specifically if its a long-term benefit for everyone. Remember when Wayne Gretzky was traded to LA to build the hockey market in California?

when there's no other reasons to explain the legendary suck on this franchise, time to turn to conspiracies lol

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Some numbers:

Florida: 309 wins (37.7% winning rate)
Edmonton: 289 wins (37.8% winning rate)

Florida: 2,084 Goals For (2.541 goals for per game)
Edmonton: 1,959 Goals For (2.569 goals for per game)

Florida: 2,398 Goals Against (2.924 goals against per game)
Edmonton: 2,410 Goals Against (3.154 goals per game against)

Florida: -314 goal differential
Edmonton: -451 goal differential

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

The Oiler's would be the biggest beneficiary to making the playoffs, same with any Canadian market.

I have been down to Florida, go to Nashville alot, Katz and co with a new arena/old arena/ice rink out on a farm would still create more revenue and intrigue to the league then those locales.

If Connor Mcdavid played in any small U.S. market (exception of Buffalo) that team wouldn't be making the waves he is here; exponentially less.

Canadien market teams all suffer from apathy. I used to think Canuck fans were entitled losers (still do some degree) because they just expected to always be in the playoffs and if things went wrong they wanted to fire/trade any coach, goalie, or just player.

The Canadian teams of today are competing with 24 other teams. Even then the NHL is the hardest sport to buy championships.

You need good coaching, drafting, player development, and playoff/player experience. Most if not all teams even with that fall off the radar if any one/two players goes down unless you have considerable depth.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
During those stretches,

FLA seasons with <70 pts: 2
EDM seasons with <70 pts: 4

FLA seasons with >80 pts: 4
EDM seasons with >80 pts: 2

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Oiler's would be the biggest beneficiary to making the playoffs, same with any Canadian market.

I have been down to Florida, go to Nashville alot, Katz and co with a new arena/old arena/ice rink out on a farm would still create more revenue and intrigue to the league then those locales.

If Connor Mcdavid played in any small U.S. market (exception of Buffalo) that team wouldn't be making the waves he is here; exponentially less.

Canadien market teams all suffer from apathy. I used to think Canuck fans were entitled losers (still do some degree) because they just expected to always be in the playoffs and if things went wrong they wanted to fire/trade any coach, goalie, or just player.

The Canadian teams of today are competing with 24 other teams. Even then the NHL is the hardest sport to buy championships.

You need good coaching, drafting, player development, and playoff/player experience. Most if not all teams even with that fall off the radar if any one/two players goes down unless you have considerable depth.

What if the league's number one priority is a national TV deal? The NFL and NBA have ~30 billion dollar deals.

NHL has a 2 billion dollar deal. Having teams in dead sports markets like Seattle and Las Vegas might actually generate some leverage for some of that moon money.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
We lose by a wrongly waived off goal. Coach Koala yells at a ref and gets kicked out. McJesus getting another obligatory assist.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
What if the league's number one priority is a national TV deal? The NFL and NBA have ~30 billion dollar deals.

NHL has a 2 billion dollar deal. Having teams in dead sports markets like Seattle and Las Vegas might actually generate some leverage for some of that moon money.

People forget that even when the Oilers were a privately owned team (E.I.G.) they were a profitable team, contrary to Katz message.

The Oilers still have a marquee team name and history. If you go to Chicago, Boston, NYR you would pleasantly surprised (not as much now, but definitely years ago) what a draw it is. Hockey benefits being in hockey citys, with hockey immersed in the culture. Kids playing it, parents betting on it (Draft kings, fanduel, ect), and a winning team.

Edmonton is better to be part of the group of rivalries that they once were apart of. Bettman knows a Calgary vs Vancouver, Or Edmonton vs either two do very well, but he also knows if Edmonton plays Carolina in the Stanley cup finals it draws a huge amount of appeal to all of the country and many fans of the history of hockey.

The Nhl will not get a big t.v deal off of new franchises. The Nhl needs rivalries and the Canadian teams doing well because they draw in viewers and ratings. I have always argued that the NHL would have a salary cap of 80m if they got rid of some unmentionable teams.

The NFL does well because they have sponshorships out the yingyang they market better than anyone, and they have a history that sells. NHL is always moving backwards when they think expansion will help. Maybe expansion to Quebec but Seattle, Las Vegas it only means less talent throughout lineups.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Oilers had bottomed out 2 years than they did they'd have Stamkos, Tavares and Hall with their consecutive first overalls. Just unfortunate for a team to have walked away with RNH and Yakupov two years in a row at first overall.

PersuasiveSteve

Hey Connor!
Mar 4, 2014
Whats amazing to me is we had a couple seasons 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 where we were over .500 and didn't make the playoffs, but that was enough to at the time fire our coach or "clean house" as they say as I believe they relieved Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe.

And then what did we do?

We hired Steve Tambellini and let him drive steer the ship straight into the iceberg instead of trying to swerve to avoid it. Some stayed a float for a while but ultimately we wasted the last 10 years attempting to build the venue instead of the team.

Finally we've hired a competent GM and Coach, now we have to wait for it to all come to a head. It won't be another 10 years but it will take time... There are playing fast and loose with our hearts because they are really counting on the fan loyalty helping them through this. Patience is waring, ice is thinning.

The funny thing to me is that Florida a really hard time with fans and attendance and took a longer time than most to build a playoff team, many analysts call them "the biggest surprise of 2016". And yet with the Oilers they sell out every game, fans live and breathe hockey, and they are based in a country that arguably lives and breathes the sport as well, if anything we should've had an ACCERLERATED rebuild but we instead made the team into a joke. Do you think Heatley, Jagr, and all the players that turned us down for more money to play elsewhere because it's cold here?

We should be happy we got Connor, because without him we would've been sitting in the dungeon for years to come without anyone wanting to play here. Everyone wants to coach him, play with him, manage him. He's the only draw to this mess. We could blow the whole team up and rebuild again around him and we'd likely make it to the playoffs faster.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Whats amazing to me is we had a couple seasons 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 where we were over .500 and didn't make the playoffs, but that was enough to at the time fire our coach or "clean house" as they say as I believe they relieved Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe.

And then what did we do?

We hired Steve Tambellini and let him drive steer the ship straight into the iceberg instead of trying to swerve to avoid it. Some stayed a float for a while but ultimately we wasted the last 10 years attempting to build the venue instead of the team.

Finally we've hired a competent GM and Coach, now we have to wait for it to all come to a head. It won't be another 10 years but it will take time... There are playing fast and loose with our hearts because they are really counting on the fan loyalty helping them through this. Patience is waring, ice is thinning.

The funny thing to me is that Florida a really hard time with fans and attendance and took a longer time than most to build a playoff team, many analysts call them "the biggest surprise of 2016". And yet with the Oilers they sell out every game, fans live and breathe hockey, and they are based in a country that arguably lives and breathes the sport as well, if anything we should've had an ACCERLERATED rebuild but we instead made the team into a joke. Do you think Heatley, Jagr, and all the players that turned us down for more money to play elsewhere because it's cold here?

We should be happy we got Connor, because without him we would've been sitting in the dungeon for years to come without anyone wanting to play here. Everyone wants to coach him, play with him, manage him. He's the only draw to this mess. We could blow the whole team up and rebuild again around him and we'd likely make it to the playoffs faster.

I personally don't factor the weather as much. If a team is winning, free agents are always interested. It made sense for Jagr though since Florida's weather great. Although, their animal habitat makes me steer quite clear. Having a random gator in my backyard wouldn't be too fun.

PersuasiveSteve

Hey Connor!
Mar 4, 2014
I personally don't factor the weather as much. If a team is winning, free agents are always interested. It made sense for Jagr though since Florida's weather great. Although, their animal habitat makes me steer quite clear. Having a random gator in my backyard wouldn't be too fun.

I mostly mentioned that because some players we had sought opted for teams in California or warmer climates or coastal regions. And the argument at the time had been "oh who WOULDN'T want to be there instead of Edmonton? I'd go to LA instead of Edmonton too". That was just an excuse, nobody wanted to come here, because we flat out sucked and didn't look to be going any other direction.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I mostly mentioned that because some players we had sought opted for teams in California or warmer climates or coastal regions. And the argument at the time had been "oh who WOULDN'T want to be there instead of Edmonton? I'd go to LA instead of Edmonton too". That was just an excuse, nobody wanted to come here, because we flat out sucked and didn't look to be going any other direction.

Of course. If I was a hot free agent that had two choices between a playoff/cup contender who's offering less and a bottom feeder who's offering more, who would I choose? Quite simple.

Whenever the oilers start winning again, the weather won't be a factor. Although, I still remember that idiot LaForge blaming the cold weather on the empty seats in Rexall 1-2 years ago. :laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Funny how not a single ticket has gone unsold during our run and prices get upped every year. Could probably get a couple gold seats to a florida game and free food for under 100 bucks during their loser run.

I know that is obvious because of the fan bases, but just one of many reasons why our loser run is so much more pitiful and embarrassing.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Funny how not a single ticket has gone unsold during our run and prices get upped every year. Could probably get a couple gold seats to a florida game and free food for under 100 bucks during their loser run.

I know that is obvious because of the fan bases, but just one of many reasons why our loser run is so much more pitiful and embarrassing.

They're in a playoff spot and yet they still can't fill the arena is what agitates me especially knowing how loyal oiler fans have been selling out year after year while getting the same depressing results.

But hey, we'll win next year in the new arena right? All part of Katz's diabolical plan. :laugh:

PersuasiveSteve

Hey Connor!
Mar 4, 2014

Probably still could. You could either stand in the standing room nosebleeds in Edmonton, or sit front and centre in Florida for the same price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad