The Longest Video Games to Fully Complete

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
While Skyrim is long, the real length of completing all the main quests and most of the sidequests is only like 50 hours, the rest of the world is full of pointless items.

I'm not really a fan of calling a game a however many hour game because of all the pointless collectables.

Reactions: Kairi Zaide

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Never would have guessed diamond/pearl would be the longest pokemon games. Pretty cool seeing so many games ive played on that list

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
While Skyrim is long, the real length of completing all the main quests and most of the sidequests is only like 50 hours, the rest of the world is full of pointless items.

I'm not really a fan of calling a game a however many hour game because of all the pointless collectables.

Same. Collecting Riddler Trophies in Arkham City was the last time I ever did it. I

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
At some point I had an ambition to get to 100% in RDR2. Then I FINALLY finished hunting the Legendary Animals and only got like a 0.5% bump after DAYS of hard work. As of now I’m at 93.7% but everything else seems like it could be a hundred hours of busy work. As much as I love this game, I have no desire to do all that. Tons of respect for anyone with that much patience.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
At some point I had an ambition to get to 100% in RDR2. Then I FINALLY finished hunting the Legendary Animals and only got like a 0.5% bump after DAYS of hard work. As of now I’m at 93.7% but everything else seems like it could be a hundred hours of busy work. As much as I love this game, I have no desire to do all that. Tons of respect for anyone with that much patience.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Some of those are surprising even with the qualifiers.

Dragon Age takes over 90 hours? I don't remember that.

I didn't close all of the Oblivion gates, but I finished the main quest and bummed around for about 10 hours after that and still only managed probably 60-70 hours.

Baldur's Gate was probably the game that took me the longest. I was new to RPGs and spent a LOT of time wandering around trying to figure out what to do. I also had a weird obsession with carrying everything with me (even stuff like leather armor) to sell. I thought it was critical to get every GP you could. Didn't know any better. Cloakwood probably took 50 hours all by itself.

I would guess at least 200 hours.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I just remembered this:

A guy I know still has his original game of Daggerfall going as of about 5 years ago. I haven't asked him about it in a while.That has to be a record. It was released in 1996.

I can't fathom how many hours he's played.

Reactions: Osprey

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
242 hours for Minecraft? I have a hard time believing there's not a 12 year old Korean out there who can do it in 30 minutes.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I always thought The Legend of Dragoon was a seriously long game. In fact I don't think I've even finished it. Google says about 50 hours

Time to hook up the PS1

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Metal Gear Solid V and Witcher 3 both took me about 100 hours to complete although I did do most of the side content.

Those two really stand out.

I have other games with more hours clocked-in but those are not story-driven games so the comparison is not fair. Civilization, XCom 2 etc.... cam be played for thousands of hours but that is because they are so replayable.

Reactions: Bocephus86

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Metal Gear Solid V and Witcher 3 both took me about 100 hours to complete although I did do most of the side content.

Those two really stand out.

I have other games with more hours clocked-in but those are not story-driven games so the comparison is not fair. Civilization, XCom 2 etc.... cam be played for thousands of hours but that is because they are so replayable.

We've been playing Civ games that've been lasting like 20 hours. It's absolutely insane. If they didn't keep a clock up there in the right hand corner for you I wouldn't have any idea how much time has passed.

Reactions: Beau Knows

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
We've been playing Civ games that've been lasting like 20 hours. It's absolutely insane. If they didn't keep a clock up there in the right hand corner for you I wouldn't have any idea how much time has passed.
Total War and Heroes of Might and Magic games are the same way. It's like, there's no way it's 1:30 am, I swear I just started playing an hour ago at 7.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Breath of the Wild is at 66 hours with only one Divine Beast beaten. Hundreds and hundreds of Korok seeds to go and about 40 shrines.

I have an absurd amount of hours in EU4

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Currently playing Assassins Creed Odyssey and have spent just over 100 hours hours so far on the main story lines +DLC:s (still some stuff remaining for Legacy of the First Blade.
I've mostly done main missions but also some side missions although to a large extent the side missions needs to be done too to bring the story forward.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It should really just be the main story line. I'd like to see the hours to that. Some of those like the max out a character shouldn't be a criteria.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It should really just be the main story line. I'd like to see the hours to that. Some of those like the max out a character shouldn't be a criteria.
I use the website How long does it take to beat your favorite games? - HowLongToBeat.com to check an idea of how long a game will be. It's all user inputted data so small indie titles probably won't have many results, if any at all, but it's a pretty handy website to give you an idea of how long games are. It also has categories for just story mode, story with some side stuff (which varies obviously, but still a pretty good idea) and completionist. I've found it's surprisingly accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad