The long wait until next season

JMACole

Jun 27, 2020
PEI
I’m looking forward to seeing who the Sens take in the draft, but after that, it’s still a long time until the team actually hits the ice. Usually we have a three month break between the finals and training camp. It’s already been about that long since the Sens last played with possibly another six months of time off yet to go. It’s frustrating as a fan and I’m sure it’s frustrating for the players. Maybe I’m wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that the NHL was thinking of things that the non playoff teams could do, like maybe some exhibition games between them so they wouldn’t have to go nine months without hockey. Has anyone else heard any talk, or does it really look like the Senators will have nothing to do until 2021?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I can't imagine they'll try and get anything off the ground until the playoffs are over.

And then after that it's anyone's guess.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I can't see anything happening until 2021 at the earliest. They can't do the hub city thing for the regular season.

theunsunghero

Aug 22, 2019
Reactions: Girutzlechuk

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I work until about midnight so for something sports to watch for the time I have been watching AFL. St. Kilda Saints are pretty comparable to the Sens so I have been following them.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I have no doubt they'll organize some sort of tournament/camp in the Fall for the non-playoff teams. Not having any sort of competitive play until January 2021, which would amount to about 10 months of inactivity, would be incredibly hurtful to player development as well as overall competitiveness. The NHL can't leave 7 teams out in the dust like that, and I would include teams that lose in the play-in round as well.

Reactions: NB613 and Crosside

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dorion have propose to Bettman , that all the 7 teams not in the play in if he can start their training camp two weeks before other team. Not a bad idea

Plus those teams and perhaps the play-in losers could have a few more exhibition games too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens should run a couple of 3 on 3 tournaments with teams made up from Ottawa and Belleville. 20 minute games 3 -6 games a day.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I’m curious how this will effect development. This is a unique opportunity for the younger guys to put on a lot muscle and still have time to get lean in time for the season.

I also think this is the best possible thing that could have happened for a guy like Bobby Ryan. If his recovery is going well and he is taking training seriously, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a massive resurgence next season.

Reactions: variable26

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m curious how this will effect development. This is a unique opportunity for the younger guys to put on a lot muscle and still have time to get lean in time for the season.

I also think this is the best possible thing that could have happened for a guy like Bobby Ryan. If his recovery is going well and he is taking training seriously, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a massive resurgence next season.
IMO it hurts development .. Its a critical time for the 18-21 y/os

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Thats a lot of ifs. Bobby is a great guy Making $7 million but I’m not expecting him to reverse age. To be honest I’d rather see Bath, White, Brown play the right side.

I’ve always thought Bobby is closer to walking away from the money and retiring than putting in the work to reverse his play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thats a lot of ifs. Bobby is a great guy Making $7 million but I’m not expecting him to reverse age. To be honest I’d rather see Bath, White, Brown play the right side.

I’ve always thought Bobby is closer to walking away from the money and retiring than putting in the work to reverse his play.

I mean, he did put up 42 pts last year. Hard not to believe that his mental health had a lot to do with this year's play.

I don't think we will ever see 7 mil value out of him, but i can't imagine him walking away before the contract is up.

Reactions: Smeddy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, he did put up 42 pts last year. Hard not to believe that his mental health had a lot to do with this year's play.

I don't think we will ever see 7 mil value out of him, but i can't imagine him walking away before the contract is up.

I don’t think he will either ... but I bet there has been days he’s debated it ...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Given how the team is now & what they might look like next season I can see Ryan still on the team on the right side either with Tkachuk on the top line or pushed down if a RWer steps up to play better than him. Although he doesn't show it enough he is still a pretty skilled offensive player who can handle himself & play a role until they find someone to take him. But that is likely in his last yr at the trade deadline as a playoff push addition.

Reactions: Sweatred

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

The whole bit about getting value for a contract is pointless. He will be paid it either way, and I’d be thrilled with improvement. Same goes for Colin White and Zaitsev.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The whole bit about getting value for a contract is pointless. He will be paid it either way, and I’d be thrilled with improvement. Same goes for Colin White and Zaitsev.
Well getting good value from a players contract is relevant because it makes them trade assets. If Ryan was putting up 45 pts at 3.5 mil a year, we could move him for futures at the end of his contract. As it stands he is too far overpaid to be moveable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1