The Lockout League - An NHL13 simulation

BergMan

Mar 31, 2009
Brooklyn
Hey folks, a while back on reddit there was some rumbling in regards to creating a simulated CPU vs CPU season and broadcasting/streaming it.
Well, it's actually happening!

Derek and I have set up a little network to get this thing off the ground. Derek will mostly maintain and manage the "league's blog", which you can see at:
http://thelockoutleague.blogspot.com/
I will broadcast most of the games at: http://www.twitch.tv/hardcore_haas

As far as the blog goes, It will treat it as if it were a real life hockey blog, including update stats and standings. I'll get features and articles going as well. Any suggestions are completely welcome!

For opening night on october 11th i want a guest broadcaster from each team. These are the teams left. Calgary, Ottowa, Montreal, Philly, Colorado.

We're super stoked for this, and hopefully some others here are as well. We should start actual broadcasting by the beggining of the NHL season, so early October. Until then, we will work out the rough patches and take feedback. Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome!

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
now will the games be broadcast at the same time as the actually game schedule. Like 7:05, and will they be available to watch later on, not live?

BergMan

Mar 31, 2009
Brooklyn
now will the games be broadcast at the same time as the actually game schedule. Like 7:05, and will they be available to watch later on, not live?

Good question. This is a new project so there is still room for change but the plan currently is so start at a regular time (ex. 7 pm CST) and show all the simulations back to back. i will run 7-8 min periods so that the game is long but it is not too taxing to watch the games of that day in a row.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Will these broadcasts need to be done in real time or is it going to be a voice over?
I've done broadcasting for games at college, part of the program I'm in.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Though I enjoy and honestly admire the enthusiasm, this is one example of why the NHL feels so comfortable shutting down hockey. Fans of this game are so loyal and desperate, and are willing to go to the extreme measure of spending time to produce, broadcast and watch a computer simulation. The NHL can lockout for years, and fans that participate in this will come back to the league on their knees, carrying fists of money.

BergMan

Mar 31, 2009
Brooklyn
Will these broadcasts need to be done in real time or is it going to be a voice over?
I've done broadcasting for games at college, part of the program I'm in.

These will be live streamed. For the games where I have guest commentators they will be prerecorded so that we can both watch while we comment. It isnt possible to live stream that format. With your background you could probably teach me a thing or two haha.

Though I enjoy and honestly admire the enthusiasm, this is one example of why the NHL feels so comfortable shutting down hockey. Fans of this game are so loyal and desperate, and are willing to go to the extreme measure of spending time to produce, broadcast and watch a computer simulation. The NHL can lockout for years, and fans that participate in this will come back to the league on their knees, carrying fists of money.

Not to get too into the lockout in this thread but i think every league has a core of fans that will go to these lengths. Lockouts really effect swing viewers and casual fans.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I actually run a live stream for NHL 13 and was dabbling with the idea of broadcasting games like this. Send me a PM if you are still looking.

Whydidijoin*

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this at all? I know we are all desperate for hockey, but why the hell would anybody want to watch a meaningless computer hockey simulation?

If you are that desperate for hockey, go watch another league, or play NHL 13. Spending hours watching a computer skate around seems like the stupidest thing ever to me.

Eh, I guess to each their own. I can respect the dedication I guess.

:huh:

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Am I the only one who doesn't understand this at all? I know we are all desperate for hockey, but why the hell would anybody want to watch a meaningless computer hockey simulation?

If you are that desperate for hockey, go watch another league, or play NHL 13. Spending hours watching a computer skate around seems like the stupidest thing ever to me.

Eh, I guess to each their own. I can respect the dedication I guess.

:huh:

I'm going to agree with you, except that respecting such a dreadful waste of time doesn't make sense to me:sarcasm:

At least it isn't my time. Have fun guys haha

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Idk if you all are familiar with NHL13, but watching the CPU play each other is like watching a Squirt game...

It really isn't too realistic at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad