The Lightning have to follow the 1979-80 Islanders footsteps.

Yosemite

Apr 14, 2019
In 1978-79 the Islanders finished the season leading the league with 116 points but fell to the Rangers in the second round 4-2. The following year they finished with 91 points not even winning their division after deciding to focus more on the playoffs, of course, winning the first of 4 straight Stanley Cups. I think that if the Lightning want to succeed next year they have to pace themselves out and try to focus on the playoffs rather trying as hard as they did during the regular season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
In 1978-79 the Islanders finished the season leading the league with 116 points but fell to the Rangers in the second round 4-2. The following year they finished with 91 points not even winning their division after deciding to focus more on the playoffs, of course, winning the first of 4 straight Stanley Cups. I think that if the Lightning want to succeed next year they have to pace themselves out and try to focus on the playoffs rather trying as hard as they did during the regular season.

Right now things look/feel bad but we still have an excellent roster. Were not going to win multiple cups but we could certainly contend for some in the coming years. Columbus and some other teams have proven, all you need to do is get in and anything can happen after that. TB has the core to get in multiple times in the coming years, will have to catch some fire in that time like any team that has a successful postseason.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
"Try to focus on the playoffs"

I can promise you they were insanely focused on the playoffs this year. It sounds nice, but what you're saying doesn't really hold any weight.

Sometimes you just get unlucky. They were the best team in the league but had some untimely injuries (which is being widely ignored) and ran into a hot team.

If I'm the GM going into next year, I don't overreact. I keep my dominant core, add some pieces that make sense considering what happened this year, and head into next year's playoffs hoping for a better outcome.

Tampa's window is still insanely open.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
"Try to focus on the playoffs"

I can promise you they were insanely focused on the playoffs this year. It sounds nice, but what you're saying doesn't really hold any weight.

Sometimes you just get unlucky. They were the best team in the league but had some untimely injuries (which is being widely ignored) and ran into a hot team.

If I'm the GM going into next year, I don't overreact. I keep my dominant core, add some pieces that make sense considering what happened this year, and head into next year's playoffs hoping for a better outcome.

Tampa's window is still insanely open.
I agree with you that they were very focused on the playoffs and saying “pace yourself through the regular season” is silly and pretty meaningless.

Having said that, this loss wasn’t just bad luck. Losing to a lower seed in a closeish series is bad luck. They got absolutely stomped for nearly the entire thing start to finish. Last night, the fourth time they played this same team and should have had some idea of what to do, they looked absolutely hopeless for most of the first - like they were from a different league. Couldn’t make a pass, couldn't leave the zone - they had one sequence where one forechecker beat 3 bolts to the puck back to back to back. That’s not bad luck.

At the very least they should fire cooper and get a new coach. He’s not able to get them ready to play unless it’s a meaningless game against a team that backs up and lets them play pond hockey.

I’d also look to dump miller yesterday and clear out the dinosaurs on D. Add guys who are hard to play against and hold teammates accountable. Also I really doubt Stamkos is a capable captain off the ice but stripping him would be a fiasco

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The Lightning need a new coach. It begins and ends with that. They need to start there.

Preferential treatment to players he came up with in Norfolk like Palat and Killorn while other guys ride the bench if they look sideways. Playing Jan f'n Rutta over Coburn. Complete inability to motivate his team and completely unable to adjust his gameplan.

This team took enormous leaps by getting rid of Bowness. Getting rid of Cooper should yield similar results.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You play to win every game. You can’t pace yourself. I’d argue they did pace themselves and that’s what hurt them. They probably were board the last month of the season and when the playoffs hit they just couldn’t get up the intensity they needed.

On the flip side, give CBJ credit. They’re really talented, added some good pieces, and they played great.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I'm confused...is the OP comparing Tampa (who had a great regular season) to a team that went on to become one of the best dynasties in history? Tampa could absolutely win the cup next year...but start a run of a dynasty? No.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
it may be open but Tampa will not have a roster as strong as this one again, not with this core
Thats false. They have a lot of young players who are improving as shown this year. Also, I was told Washington will never win a cup after losing many key players after the 2016-2017 season.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Thats false. They have a lot of young players who are improving as shown this year. Also, I was told Washington will never win a cup after losing many key players after the 2016-2017 season.
Did you even read my post? I never said they cant win a cup

Its most certainly NOT false and its a fact because the cap prevents it from being so.

Tampa will NEVER, with this core, have a team as good on paper and statsheets as they did this season.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Did you even read my post? I never said they cant win a cup

Its most certainly NOT false and its a fact because the cap prevents it from being so.

Tampa will NEVER, with this core, have a team as good on paper and stat sheets as they did this season.
I understand. I don't expect to surpass the win total. However, I still would consider them a favourite for years. Also, on paper, if they move out a couple of contracts the core will remain intact. I expect them to go after Panarin and EK. Remember they went after Tavares as well. They certainly can be better on paper.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
This Tampa team is going to have the same problems every playoffs with the same roster. They need a whole bunch more grit and need to focus more on team defense and not rely on the defense/goaltending to bail them out.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Right now things look/feel bad but we still have an excellent roster. Were not going to win multiple cups but we could certainly contend for some in the coming years. Columbus and some other teams have proven, all you need to do is get in and anything can happen after that. TB has the core to get in multiple times in the coming years, will have to catch some fire in that time like any team that has a successful postseason.

It’s so hard to win in today’s league, Tampa has a team that should be able to get in every year and have a legit shot at it, tough loss but I wouldn’t touch that roster, just try to keep it together as best you can

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This Tampa team is going to have the same problems every playoffs with the same roster. They need a whole bunch more grit and need to focus more on team defense and not rely on the defense/goaltending to bail them out.

IMO a lack of grit is their kryptonite. They have so much skill at every position. If they sacrifice some skill for functional grit and toughness it would go a long way towards helping them in the postseason next season. I would not blow it up and do anything too drastic.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It’s so hard to win in today’s league, Tampa has a team that should be able to get in every year and have a legit shot at it, tough loss but I wouldn’t touch that roster, just try to keep it together as best you can

Agree. I dont want to change too much. Maybe get a little stronger up front. Way too many small skill guys.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
The league changed a LOT in the 1979-1980 season as the league expanded from 17 teams to 21 adding 4 WHA teams: Edmonton, Winnipeg (Phoenix -> Arizona), New England (Hartford later -> Carolina) and Quebec (Colorado).

With the extra 4 teams playoffs changed going from 12 teams to 16. And that year they seeded them 1 to 16 with 1 playing 16 regardless of division. And kept doing that for each round of the playoffs.

Its not like the Islanders decided to not try as hard in the regular season then turn it on in the playoffs. What the Islanders were good at was playing any style of game both regular season and playoffs. If teams played a finesse game the Islanders had skill to play that game. If teams wanted to goon it up the Islanders could play that game too and win doing it as well.

Tampa needs to be able to compete better in the playoffs, more grit/sandpaper type players while still being able to do well in the regular season, well enough to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad