The Lightning have an overtime problem.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It has to be a coaching issue. They seem hesitant when they come out for the extra session too.

Maybe nerves have gotten to them.

And depth is what helped them win those cups.

But now it's up to top players or else they lose.
Just going from memory - it seems like when they lose in OT - the games don't go long, but that might be confirmation bias.

Reactions: flying squirrel

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Yeah, OT and even regular season OT has been an issues for Lightning. Could be one, few, or a a bunch of reasons to why. Curious if 2nd period hasn't been great since 2015 also, long change seems to give some Lightning teams trouble throughout over-the-years. Not sure, but 2nd period stats could shed some light on OT results. Especially considering Lightning lose these OT games quick lately.

Possible reasons to why
  • Point before injuries: He use to be Lighting Mr. OT, but has been injured last two postseason. And seems to have not recovered completely quite yet. Point looked like 20-21 playoff Point for about a month this year, but that's it. Love Point, hope he's OK and becomes Mr. OT again...
  • Others Lightning players have to find OT grove, that simple.
  • Like mentioned, curious if Lightning 2nd period have been bad over-the-years.
  • Lightning "Cup" roster, built mostly from within, break-up was quickened worse than any other past "Cup" winning roster. No past multiple "Cup" winners, during cap era, has dealt with such cap scraps while trying to keep team together.
  • Terrible cap timing with Lightning at the end of awesome 8 yr run, winning back-to-back, and attempt for 3-peat. But those payoff memories and "Cups" help ease Lightning nations pain. Plus, most of Lightning nation are happy many players from those teams got paid well around league. That 8 yr run was one heck of a ride, that any fan-base could dream for! So maybe bad OT stretch is price that's gotta be paid, but that's real cheap price, if one is being fair about things. We've been very fortunate.
  • All above helps explain why and how quickened cap loss of depth, would cause even more issues with line changes and team trying gel into solid group.
  • Winning brings confidence, not getting done kills it. Lightning aren't believing when it comes to OT right now, and with Hockey being so mental, this could issue also.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It has to be a coaching issue. They seem hesitant when they come out for the extra session too.

Maybe nerves have gotten to them.

And depth is what helped them win those cups.

But now it's up to top players or else they lose.
The 2020 team was just stupid deep. It was about as easy as cup wins come in the modern era. And on top of that, Hedman was an absolute monster while Point/Kucherov lit it up.

Hedman's not the force he was then, but he is by MILES our best defenseman. I think we only have two guys who could be considered legit top-4 right now. And Cernak is still paying, physically, for those cup wins.

Kucherov and Point are still capable of shredding any team in the league. The knock on Kucherov years ago was if he was just a LITTLE bit not dialed in, he was terrible. We haven't seen that in a few years, but we saw it in Game 2. He's making soft plays that work in the regular season, but get devoured in the playoffs. Normally he makes the switch and becomes a fearless psychopath, but he seems to be struggling with it a bit right now.

My honest opinion is, even IF our stars play up to their full potential (which is a lot), that still leaves 35-40 minutes per night when we are vulnerable. We just have too many guys slotted a liiiiiittle too highly to take on a team like Florida, IMO. And on defense we have guys slotted way too high.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The 2020 team was just stupid deep. It was about as easy as cup wins come in the modern era. And on top of that, Hedman was an absolute monster while Point/Kucherov lit it up.

Hedman's not the force he was then, but he is by MILES our best defenseman. I think we only have two guys who could be considered legit top-4 right now. And Cernak is still paying, physically, for those cup wins.

Kucherov and Point are still capable of shredding any team in the league. The knock on Kucherov years ago was if he was just a LITTLE bit not dialed in, he was terrible. We haven't seen that in a few years, but we saw it in Game 2. He's making soft plays that work in the regular season, but get devoured in the playoffs. Normally he makes the switch and becomes a fearless psychopath, but he seems to be struggling with it a bit right now.

My honest opinion is, even IF our stars play up to their full potential (which is a lot), that still leaves 35-40 minutes per night when we are vulnerable. We just have too many guys slotted a liiiiiittle too highly to take on a team like Florida, IMO. And on defense we have guys slotted way too high.
Guess the question is how much do the back to back cups buy Cooper? Meaning, it will be two straight one and done in the postseason. His contract is over next year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Guess the question is how much do the back to back cups buy Cooper? Meaning, it will be two straight one and done in the postseason. His contract is over next year.
IMO, it won't be a "firing." It will either be Cooper stepping down, or a mutual parting of the ways.

But I mean, the Lightning kept a juggernaut together through a million cap issues, and then it finally caught up to them after the second cup. The 2022 team wasn't nearly as strong, but it was still strong enough to make the finals. Now, they are a shadow of even that team. I don't think it's really on Cooper, but sooner or later, they are going to have to take a step back in order to take steps forward, and I don't know that Cooper would have much interest in sticking it out through that. It's a Penguins-style decline, really.

If he leaves the Lightning, every contending team in the league will be taking a good hard look at their coach. I mean, the Leafs would fire Keefe on the spot, I think, and then offer Cooper a ridiculous contract. And Cooper would probably take them to a cup, because their best guys would have to play a more playoff style in order to get the icetime they're used to.

LOL The media in Toronto would hate him because he would just constantly troll them.

/tangent

Reactions: flying squirrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad