The Lightning have an overtime problem.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
A brief, baffling history:

On their 2020 path to the Cup, the Lightning went 6-2 in OT, capping off a 14-4 playoff OT run dating back many years.

On their 2021 path to the Cup, they went 16-7 overall, but their OT fortunes had changed - 0-4 in OT.

In 2022, they were eliminated by the Avs in 6, losing 2 games in OT - the ultimate difference in the series.

In 2023, they were eliminated by the Leafs in 6, losing 3 games in OT - the ultimate difference in the series.

This year, they are an unsurprising 0-1 in OT so far.

For those keeping score at home, the Lightning have lost their last 6 OTs, and an abysmal 1-11 in their last 12. Their lone OT win since 2020 was in the first round in 2022.

So far, it has cost them a SCF and a potential run last year, and this year it looks like nothing has changed. What's going on with this team? Is it a regression to the mean from their prior hot steak? A coaching problem? A personnel problem? A mental issue? Bad luck?

Their OT performance has been so poor, I think it deserves its own discussion.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What's going on with this team? Is it a regression to the mean from their prior hot steak? A coaching problem? A personnel problem? A mental issue? Bad luck?

I suppose one difference between OT and regulation time is that there are typically fewer powerplays.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
A brief, baffling history:

On their 2020 path to the Cup, the Lightning went 6-2 in OT, capping off a 14-4 playoff OT run dating back many years.

On their 2021 path to the Cup, they went 16-7 overall, but their OT fortunes had changed - 0-4 in OT.

In 2022, they were eliminated by the Avs in 6, losing 2 games in OT - the ultimate difference in the series.

In 2023, they were eliminated by the Leafs in 6, losing 3 games in OT - the ultimate difference in the series.

This year, they are an unsurprising 0-1 in OT so far.

For those keeping score at home, the Lightning have lost their last 6 OTs, and an abysmal 1-11 in their last 12. Their lone OT win since 2020 was in the first round in 2022.

So far, it has cost them a SCF and a potential run last year, and this year it looks like nothing has changed. What's going on with this team? Is it a regression to the mean from their prior hot steak? A coaching problem? A personnel problem? A mental issue? Bad luck?

Next overtime they’ll beat Florida imo. Florida’s OT luck won’t last forever.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It has to be a coaching issue. They seem hesitant when they come out for the extra session too.

Maybe nerves have gotten to them.

I think the Lightning just have a depth problem. On nights when the stars are bad, they dont even look like an NHL team.
And depth is what helped them win those cups.

But now it's up to top players or else they lose.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well that absolutely sucks for Tampa fans but I don't think you'll find one ounce of sympathy from any other fanbases. Still interesting stats to bring up though. Wonder why they can't seem to get it done in OT?

Reactions: BB79

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
So they are 15-15 over their last 30? Seems like when you flip a coin a few times you can get a run of heads or a run of tails, but in the long run, if the coin is fair, you’ll get to half heads and half tails.

Reactions: DaveG

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Little bit unlucky but also they've just been the worse team in all the OT loses dating back to the Colorado series.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Well, I hope eventually Tampa figures it out next year or something. lol

I haven't checked/know how well Cooper runs all 4 lines. Is he super top heavy on the top 2 lines the past few years? Especially in OT?
Guys just running out of steam as he doesn't want to run the 3rd/4th lines in sudden death situations?

Going back to last year, Florida always had guys on the ice who just skated circled around other teams in all the OT games. Boston just seemed gassed by the time OT kicked in.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Well that absolutely sucks for Tampa fans but I don't think you'll find one ounce of sympathy from any other fanbases. Still interesting stats to bring up though. Wonder why they can't seem to get it done in OT?
Damn I came to this thread purely looking for sympathy from other because I was feeling down, and now you've ruined it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Damn I came to this thread purely looking for sympathy from other because I was feeling down, and now you've ruined it.

Lol... I'm not saying that was in anyway part of the intent of your post, just pointing out that sympathy isn't something that anyone is going to be sending to the Lightning anytime soon. I even validated in the next sentence that it was an interesting trend worthy of discussion.

Reactions: JoVel

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Not expecting anything sympathy with the 2 cups, but damn Tampa has had a ton a close series and OTs not go their way over the years. Within the last ten years:

2014-15 Lose cup final in 6 games after having a 2-1 series lead (Johnson, Bishop injures huge factor)
2015-16 Lose game 7 of ECF to Pittsburgh by one goal (Pitt wins cup)
2017-18 Lose game 7 ECF to Washington after having 3-2 series lead (Wash wins cup)
2019-20 Win Cup
2020-21 Win Cup
2021-22 Lose cup final in 6 games (2 OT losses in the series)
2022-23 Lose in first round to Toronto (3 OT losses in the series)

The optimist in me says they were amazingly clutch those two cup years and had a lot go their way, but the pessimist says they left a lot on the table and could have accomplished so much more with an extra bounce or two in these other years.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Lol... I'm not saying that was in anyway part of the intent of your post, just pointing out that sympathy isn't something that anyone is going to be sending to the Lightning anytime soon. I even validated in the next sentence that it was an interesting trend worthy of discussion.
I don't think anyone is expecting any sympathy either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad