Speculation: The Leftovers

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The 2014 draft has come to a close, but there were, IMO, a plethora of talent that was passed up. Who do you think should've been drafted that wasn't?

For me it was Tkachev that surprised me the most.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Gavin Bayreuther, who I thought was a stretch in the early 3rd but was ranked 48th and didn't get drafted.

Almost a PPG in the NCAA as a freshman from the blueline. Scouts just don't like making the drive to Appleton.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Size seemed to be a theme in this draft, and that's where Tkachev may have had teams shy away from him, despite his skill. I'd have taken a flyer on him late if the NYR had a 6-7th round pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reid Gardiner went undrafted? Holy ****.

Blake Clarke had a horrible year, but I would bring him to camp for sure.

Both guys were "guaranteed" first round picks this time last year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Reid Gardiner went undrafted? Holy ****.

Blake Clarke had a horrible year, but I would bring him to camp for sure.

Both guys were "guaranteed" first round picks this time last year.

I'd definitely invite them both to camp.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Can the guys that weren't drafted be signed as FAs? I'm not sure about the rules.

If so, invite Tkachev/Mangiapane and sign them!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Can the guys that weren't drafted be signed as FAs? I'm not sure about the rules.

Depends on how old they are. If they are young enough they go back in the "pool" and can be drafted again next year. A couple of the kids we picked this year are in fact guys that were already passed over twice.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I think the rule is that if you invite them to your prospect camp and they accept and come join in. You have the opportunity to sign them. If not then they'll be able to go back in the draft.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think the rule is that if you invite them to your prospect camp and they accept and come join in. You have the opportunity to sign them. If not then they'll be able to go back in the draft.

Don't think that's entirely correct. Pretty sure we brought in some guys last year that we were not able to sign.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Don't think that's entirely correct. Pretty sure we brought in some guys last year that we were not able to sign.

I might have something wrong in my statement, but Tolchinsky was 18 last year and they brought him in and he also went to Carolina's camp. They signed him right before the Travers City Tourney so I'm not really sure.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I might have something wrong in my statement, but Tolchinsky was 18 last year and they brought him in and he also went to Carolina's camp. They signed him right before the Travers City Tourney so I'm not really sure.

I could be way off on this, but Tolchinksy went through a draft not drafted which I think means you can sign as a UFA with anyone. I believe we did have guys come into our camp last year that we couldn't sign, but they may have not been draft eligible do to being too young, and the Rangers were just taking a look at them for the future.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I could be way off on this, but Tolchinksy went through a draft not drafted which I think means you can sign as a UFA with anyone. I believe we did have guys come into our camp last year that we couldn't sign, but they may have not been draft eligible do to being too young, and the Rangers were just taking a look at them for the future.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure how that works either. Tolchinsky got passed on once and became a UFA but we invited Luke Walker one year then the Avs drafted him the next year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Yeah I'm not 100% sure how that works either. Tolchinsky got passed on once and became a UFA but we invited Luke Walker one year then the Avs drafted him the next year.

Yeah I agree it's really confusing. I think, now in Tolchinsky's case, he was 18 last season and was the 1st year he could've been selected. He obviously wasn't which then got invites to both the NYR camp and the CAR camp. Now I'm pretty sure that since both invited him to their individual prospect camps and he accepted to take part, they were the only teams that were able to sign him before the OHL campaign re-upped for the 2013-2014 season. CAR snagged him right before that happened which was how he got picked up. If neither NYR nor CAR signed him prior to the beginning of the OHL season, he would've been draft eligible again and no team could then offer a contract. There have been similar cases to this. In recent history, I think Michael Sgarbossa (COL) was the last player to have the exact same thing done. Being passed up and attending a camp to only outperform the other invites to receive an entry level deal from the Avs.

IMO whoever brings Tkachev into their prospect camp will be signing him. He's too skilled, just like Tolchinsky. Same goes with Reid Gardiner.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Ryan Hitchcock, Julio Billia, Blake Hillman, Eetu Sopanen come to mind.

How did these people miss these guys, too. This will be forever known as the "Undrafted Class of 2014".... :shakehead

Billia is a tiny goaltender, but should be brought into someones camp.

Don't know Hillman.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
How did these people miss these guys, too. This will be forever known as the "Undrafted Class of 2014".... :shakehead

Billia is a tiny goaltender, but should be brought into someones camp.

Don't know Hillman.

Billia is one of the tendy I've seen in the QJMHL for sure. But yeah I believe his size is the main reason he wasn't draft, it sucks because he actually plays big in his net.

Hillman is a solid defensive dman that does everything well. Position, skating, first pass. IMO he only needs to work on his strength and use his frame a little bit more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad