Speculation: The Leafs Will Be Sneaky Elite This Season, And Here's Why:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Typically the Leafs have had 25% roster turnover, from game one of the regular season, to the playoffs.

This team is good enough to do very well in the regular season. It will need, and get adjustments before the playoffs start.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Typically the Leafs have had 25% roster turnover, from game one of the regular season, to the playoffs.

This team is good enough to do very well in the regular season. It will need, and get adjustments before the playoffs start.
The question is, considering the overpayments to a few players, will the adjustments it can afford be good enough to produce some playoff success, or will they, as usual, be not enough?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The question is, considering the overpayments to a few players, will the adjustments it can afford be good enough to produce some playoff success, or will they, as usual, be not enough?

I think the additions were good enough last year. But when your big four score ONE 5v5 goal in a series, it doesn't matter who you add. Matthews being injured was a big problem, and nobody else stepping up also was. More than anything, we need our "stars", to be stars when we need them most. We need them to be healthy, and we need them to lead us through their play.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The odds tell me that like the other 14 buyers who don't win the cup, they will likely not be good enough.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the additions were good enough last year. But when your big four score ONE 5v5 goal in a series, it doesn't matter who you add. Matthews being injured was a big problem, and nobody else stepping up also was. More than anything, we need our "stars", to be stars when we need them most. We need them to be healthy, and we need them to lead us through their play.
That's part of the equation - we overpaid on two players who disappear "when we need them most". Because of that, we don't have the money to get players who compensate for them disappearing.

The problem is that we will still be in the same boat until JT leaves, and quite possibly still there if Mitch gets overpaid again.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's part of the equation - we overpaid on two players who disappear "when we need them most". Because of that, we don't have the money to get players who compensate for them disappearing.

The problem is that we will still be in the same boat until JT leaves, and quite possibly still there if Mitch gets overpaid again.

Nobody has money to compensate for stars, who don't perform when they are needed the most. Nobody.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Our defense is probably weak compared to past few years but our forward group is pretty strong and deep. Since moving to a defense first system, we've see a lot of teams continue with pure offense and find success. Panthers just did it to the finals this year. Oilers do it every game. Even Tampa played us so aggressively we barely had the puck but it meant we were able to generate chances when we got it.

I think the issue is overblown. The system will be tweaked to basically ensure our goalies can see shots and we are in position to give options for breakouts and clear rebounds, but I think we go back towards more stretch passes instead of 5 man break outs to generate more offense.

For 75% of a game we will have some combo of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Bertuzzi, Knies, Domi on the ice. This is a team who has tons of experience playing in tight games now. I am expecting we will be the top 2 in the league for goals for, and I am expecting us to try a new system we think will work in the post season and prioritizing forechecking and finishing checks to generate offense.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am about as excited as I have ever been for this season to begin. I think the additions of Bert, Domi, and Reaves are going to bring that identity that we've lacked in years past.

When Reavo was asked what he thought about the chances of a Gudas like stare down over Joe Woll after the OT winner in game 5 ever happening again, he responded with "i'd like to see him try it" and "I doubt there's going to be any of that here". I f***ing love that. Whether or not that actually is the case, that confidence and swagger is something we lack. Sure he will defend his guys, but I also think he will allow guys to get more engaged in that after whistle play. Everyone will feel a lot tougher knowing they have Reaves on the bench behind them.

Most of all, it really feels like the additions we made wanted to be Leafs. Klingberg, Domi, and Bert all likely left term and money on the table by signing with us. They chose to be Leafs because they wanted to win, and win as Maple Leafs. That says something. You think of Max in particular, the Leaf sweater means so much more to him than arguably anyone on our roster. It is going to be really refreshing to see guys lay it all on the line for the sweater for a change.

Very very excited

Mar 26, 2010
The Leafs have some good depth on left wing that they did not have last season.

I if the leafs can get some consistent NHL caliber goaltending, they can seriously be a force.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I am about as excited as I have ever been for this season to begin. I think the additions of Bert, Domi, and Reaves are going to bring that identity that we've lacked in years past.

When Reavo was asked what he thought about the chances of a Gudas like stare down over Joe Woll after the OT winner in game 5 ever happening again, he responded with "i'd like to see him try it" and "I doubt there's going to be any of that here". I f***ing love that. Whether or not that actually is the case, that confidence and swagger is something we lack. Sure he will defend his guys, but I also think he will allow guys to get more engaged in that after whistle play. Everyone will feel a lot tougher knowing they have Reaves on the bench behind them.

Most of all, it really feels like the additions we made wanted to be Leafs. Klingberg, Domi, and Bert all likely left term and money on the table by signing with us. They chose to be Leafs because they wanted to win, and win as Maple Leafs. That says something. You think of Max in particular, the Leaf sweater means so much more to him than arguably anyone on our roster. It is going to be really refreshing to see guys lay it all on the line for the sweater for a change.

Very very excited
Excuse me while I roll my eyes at the Reaves quote.

That happened in OT of an elimination game where Reaves wouldn't be touching the ice to begin with.

We've had enforcers like Reaves on the 4th line before - Martin, Clifford. We've had tough guys before: Schenn, Acciari - led the league in hits in the playoffs last year despite only playing 2 rounds.

What we lacked were Tom Wilson types and Bertuzzi is that guy. The Ryan Reaves signing is something that was done to appease the Don Cherry wannabes in this fanbase and nothing more.

Reactions: Leafblooded

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
i just dont understand a team that averages over 100 points and that has maintained that expectation can be sneaky at anything on the ice?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Excuse me while I roll my eyes at the Reaves quote.

That happened in OT of an elimination game where Reaves wouldn't be touching the ice to begin with.

We've had enforcers like Reaves on the 4th line before - Martin, Clifford. We've had tough guys before: Schenn, Acciari - led the league in hits in the playoffs last year despite only playing 2 rounds.

What we lacked were Tom Wilson types and Bertuzzi is that guy. The Ryan Reaves signing is something that was done to appease the Don Cherry wannabes in this fanbase and nothing more.
Disagree completely. But you are entitled to your opinion on that.

Reaves has the ability to police the game from the bench. He is an intimidating figure. Not just in the way he fights but mostly in the way he hits. After all, there are less and less guys in the league that would even be willing to go Reaves in a fight. If you don't think opponents will think twice about doing dumb shit to our star players now that we have Reaves on the bench, you've either never played the game or you have stones the size of church bells.

Vocal intimidating figures who have the ability to back it up physically will always create more time and space for their teammates. Whether they are on the ice or not. You know there is a price to pay if you want to be a shithead.

This is meant as no disrespect to Schenn, Martin, Clifford, and Simmer, but those guys are not even close to as intimidating as Reaves. There is a big difference in being a tough guy, and being the toughest guy in the league. Like i said earlier, Reaves is at the point where he very rarely even has a dance partner just because of the sheer mismatch it would be. He doesn't even need to fight to police the game. He can send that exact same message from the bench.

call me naïve, but Reaves will make an impact off and on the ice. Simmonds might have been the closest we've had to a player like Reaves, and of course he didn't make as big of an impact as we would have hoped over his tenure. So I understand why you'd think differently. But even Simmer is reaching in a fight with Reaves. As tough as Simmer is, he had to fight to stay relevant the last couple seasons. He was not getting in the lineup any other way. I don't think that is the case for Reavo

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It feels good to be a fan of a sneaky elite team.

Go Leafs Go!
Slowing down the game to their pace, playing a boring brand of hockey, and Reaves and the other physical players making a presence has really helped them.

Will it continue in the playoffs? Don’t know, but at least going into they have a chance where they hadn’t in the past five yrs.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
101 points and *4 games left to play.

No longer a "middle tier" team.

They are most likely sneaky elite, a team that could go deep in the playoffs, and Jonas/Mirtle have mud on their faces now.

Last edited:

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I gotta say I didn’t expect them to be as good as they were last year, but Tre’s moves have gone from being 0/4 to 3/4 preseason moves, and the additional support was just mean big physical players. They may not win a round, (they may win 4 :) ) but… I don’t think you see the Leafs get bullied like they did last year vs Florida. They are bigger, meaner, tougher, and they won’t think twice over popping you in the teeth.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
101 points and 3 games left to play.

They are most likely sneaky elite, a team that could go deep in the playoffs, and Jonas/Mirtle have mud on their faces now.

Four games left, to he exact.

This is definitely the best team assembled for the playoffs, yet. If more of the teams during this era were assembled like this, we'd likely have won a lot more than one round. I'm not saying this team will go far this year, but if you want to go far, you need this type of team.

Reactions: arso40

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Domi Kampf Jarnkrok
McMann Lafferty Reaves
Holmberg

Rielly Brodie
McCabe Klingberg
Giordano Liljegren
Benoit

Samsonov
Woll

Head Coach: Keefe

Gained: Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Benoit, Reaves

Lost: Bunting, Holl, Kerfoot

Despite Bunting's scoring, his antics hurt TOR at times. Kerfoot was average at almost everything. Teams don't miss average players when they're gone. Holl was below average and ok at the pk.

Klingberg brings some excitement to the pp. It remains to be seen if he can bump Rielly off the first pp. Hopefully Klingberg can simplify his game. Bertuzzi plays big and will be trouble for the other teams' defense. Domi has speed, snot'n'skill, and a home town passion. If he's played on the 3rd line he could heat up. Reaves is a premiere face puncher. He will cause heads to turn, and passion throughout.

I think the goaltending tandem is overlooked. The healthy competition could make up for the so called "lost defensive game". Is Samsonov+Woll better than Murray+Samsonov? Most of you would say yes.

BT will likely explore trade options in Jan/Feb. By then we'll really see who the Leafs are.

I think they'll be a lot like last year. They should sleep walk to the playoffs. They'll also entertain more with the rough stuff/real fist to cuffs.

Go Leafs Go

PS- This is elite speculation on my part.

PPS - It's only speculation.

You know looking at the forward that's posted here I'm starting to wonder if they can allow one of Bertuzzi or Domi to walk next year and still be better off next year.

I mean Knies has 14 goals this year, Bobby Mac has 15 goals, Robertson has 13 goals and I will even throw in Holmberg who has 6.

Assuming Knies, Robertson and Bobby Mac are all healthy coming out of camp and on the roster they all look like they can get 20 goals next year,even if Holmberg bags 10 next year I'm thinking they could lose Bertuzzi or Domi and be better up front next year.

Now you need to keep one of Bertuzzi or Domi.

But if you got a forward core that's looking like.

Matthews 50-60 goals
Nylander 40 goals
Marner 30-35
Tavares 30
Knies 20
Bobby Mac 20
Robertson 20
Bertuzzi 20
Jarnkrok 15-20
Holmberg 10
Dewar 10

That's pretty deep not a lot needs to be done with that forward group, it could lose Bertuzzi or Domi and arguably be better than it currently is.

I went with Bertuzzi because he's likely to score more goals than Domi although I think Domi is more likely to be kept.

I'd maybe like to see Kampf moved but if Knies, Bobby Mac and Robertson prove they aren't a flash in the pan that's a deep forward group next year and only Jarnkrok is above 30.

Reaves too but where would he play?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
101 points and *4 games left to play.

Is 3rd in the division, 5th in the Conference, and 10th in the League elite?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Slowing down the game to their pace, playing a boring brand of hockey, and Reaves and the other physical players making a presence has really helped them.

Will it continue in the playoffs? Don’t know, but at least going into they have a chance where they hadn’t in the past five yrs.
This year no one is elite. Anyone çan win and no one gets a freebie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad