Post-Game Talk: The Leafs were undefeated this season when leading after two. Until tonight. Habs win 2-1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have noticed that watching. He's making a lot of the tough save (which is against the trend for him the last 3 years) but he's been quite poor on other type of shots that you'd think an NHL goalie would stop.
It is not against the trend for the last five years. Stop with the BS.

Last year he was one of the best goalies in the league despite facing an insane amount of in close shots. Our problem is that we've got tinkertoys on the left side. We tightened up in the playoffs and his numbers went through the roof.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It is not against the trend for the last five years. Stop with the BS.

Last year he was one of the best goalies in the league despite facing an insane amount of in close shots. Our problem is that we've got tinkertoys on the left side. We tightened up in the playoffs and his numbers went through the roof.
Just your opinion and not based on facts. You create your own to suit your narrative.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just your opinion and not based on facts. You create your own to suit your narrative.
False. This was posted for you several times last year and you ignored it.

The only person creating his own narrative here is you. You talk about a trend that doesn’t exist and try to pass it off as fact. It’s BS.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
False. This was posted for you several times last year and you ignored it.

The only person creating his own narrative here is you. You talk about a trend that doesn’t exist and try to pass it off as fact. It’s BS.

LOL. You back it up with no FACTS. Here's the three year trend you claim doesnt "exist". LOL.

Should we be as certain as the players are about Price’s deity status? Over the past three seasons, 77 goalies have logged 1,000-plus minutes at 5-on-5. Among that group, Price ranks 39th in save percentage; 41st in goals saved above average per 60 minutes; 54th in high-danger SP; 53rd in medium-danger SP; and 32nd in low-danger SP. Diving down to the deepest part of the analytics ocean reveals metrics such as shot location that indicate Price was actually quite good in 2018-19, but if you look at the larger three-year sample, the stats would suggest he barely grades out as a league-average goalie despite the NHLPA picking him as the world’s No. 1 every time.

Yet it was offense, not defense, holding back our team. Revisiting the 77-goalie sample of the past three seasons, Price faced the 57th-most shots per 60; the eighth-fewest high-danger shots per 60; and the sixth-farthest average shot distance. In coach Claude Julien’s system, the Canadiens have been an above-average defensive club. Expected goals against per 60 is a stat reflecting the difficulty of a goalie’s workload,, Price is fifth. As in, fifth easiest.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's done that all year. His numbers are best in league on high danger shots right now.

He's given up too many soft goals and we've gotten killed on the PK. That's it.
I agree about the soft goals but the difference in his demeanor can't be overlooked. I commented earlier this season that Price did not look comfortable and was not tracking the puck well. When Price is totally dialed in I expect zero softies and he has shown that capability over time. His strongest attributes have always been positional and ability to read the play. Which includes his movement back and forth and side to side in his crease. So when I say he looked bigger that is what I'm referring to. Price has always been a ten bell goaltender so I'm not surprised at his high danger percentage.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
LOL. You back it up with no FACTS. Here's the three year trend you claim doesnt "exist". LOL.

Should we be as certain as the players are about Price’s deity status? Over the past three seasons, 77 goalies have logged 1,000-plus minutes at 5-on-5. Among that group, Price ranks 39th in save percentage; 41st in goals saved above average per 60 minutes; 54th in high-danger SP; 53rd in medium-danger SP; and 32nd in low-danger SP. Diving down to the deepest part of the analytics ocean reveals metrics such as shot location that indicate Price was actually quite good in 2018-19, but if you look at the larger three-year sample, the stats would suggest he barely grades out as a league-average goalie despite the NHLPA picking him as the world’s No. 1 every time.

Yet it was offense, not defense, holding back our team. Revisiting the 77-goalie sample of the past three seasons, Price faced the 57th-most shots per 60; the eighth-fewest high-danger shots per 60; and the sixth-farthest average shot distance. In coach Claude Julien’s system, the Canadiens have been an above-average defensive club. Expected goals against per 60 is a stat reflecting the difficulty of a goalie’s workload,, Price is fifth. As in, fifth easiest.
We’ve been through this before. The Montreal Canadiens have been near the bottom of the league at chances given up in close but not bad at giving up overall shots. Price does extremely well relative to his circumstances. I’m not digging this up again as I don’t have the cycles for it any longer.

As for this year, different story. We’ve been better and Price is at the top of the league for saving high danger chances. However, soft goals and the PK have hurt him. The bad D doesn’t really apply this year.

Reactions: BLONG7

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's fair. People think I hate Price. I dont. I hope he's the guy who leads us to the Cup. Lots of hyperbole like "the NHLPA" poll calls him "the best" . LOL. But facts say otherwise. And Allen has been much better this year, and the last couple of years.
I want the best guy in there.

2018-2021 Allen 76 GP 35 wins 0.914 2.55
2018-2021 Price 133 GP 67 wins 0.913 2.63

I don't see the much better in the last couple of years.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
2018-2021 Allen 76 GP 35 wins 0.914 2.55
2018-2021 Price 133 GP 67 wins 0.913 2.63

I don't see the much better in the last couple of years.
so you go back 4 years (you're definition of a couple?) so you can get Price's 2018 season (his last good one) and Jake Allen's 2018 was his worst since now where he's been on the upward trend and Price has been on a downward trend.
Swing and a miss.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
so you go back 4 years (you're definition of a couple?) so you can get Price's 2018 season (his last good one) and Jake Allen's 2018 was his worst since now where he's been on the upward trend and Price has been on a downward trend.
Swing and a miss.
You don't need to go back four years or whatever... he was great last year and the year before.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Swing and a miss.

I included what you said to include.

You said ''this year, and the last couple years''. ''Couple years'' is often interpreted as 2 years so since the current year is separated in your statement, I assumed you meant the 2 years prior so 2018-2019 and 2019-2020.

I included 2018-2019, 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 hence 2018-2021.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I included what you said to include.

You said ''this year, and the last couple years''. ''Couple years'' is often interpreted as 2 years so since the current year is separated in your statement, I assumed you meant the 2 years prior so 2018-2019 and 2019-2020.

I included 2018-2019, 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 hence 2018-2021.
You included numbers? What were you thinking?

What a crock!

Anyways, this has veered off. Onto the next game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yet he wasnt even close to elite. Slightly above average might be generous.
You don't know what you're talking about. If you did, you wouldn't have honed in with your silly rebound control statement above.

So either you're clueless or you're trolling. Either way, you are wrong.

Reactions: azcanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad