Benoit 5.15
McCabe 6.67
Brodie 9.53
Giordano 10.97

That's elite right there!

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We’ve seen this show too often.

They aren’t coasting because they are waiting for the playoffs and Keefe isn’t line juggling to prepare either.

Time and again Keefe shows he’s incapable of outclassing the other coach and this core doesn’t outplay the other team in the playoffs.

Already looking to the offseason and seeing what Treliving does to improve our defence, to be honest.

Now it just feels like waiting for things to and this season.

You don't ever want to lose into playoffs. Unless you are as delusional as our core. Searching for that ON switch.

Reactions: LeafSteel

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would like to disagree.

Unfortunately, what I'd like isn't pertinent to reality in this regard.

I really haven't seen him out coach a playoff series yet. His line management is atrocious. How many too many men penalties have we taken? The garbage management of the last game with Nylander? None of that made sense. It was all bush league stuff tbh. He has grittier team this year. If we waste another year of this core they should show Shanahan and Keefe both the door.

Dubas and Keefe are both cut from the same cloth of shame IMHO.

Reactions: Jmo89

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I would say the problem is it’s a PP run on instinct and feel instead of any real game plan. It’s not like they really set up with any real purpose or urgency, have to set up and marks or have a designated playmaker triangulating to 2 shot options. When it’s on it’s just flow state Harlem Globetrotters. When they’re not feeling it it’s 5 guys meeting each other for the first time.

The transition game is just putrid.

For me it’s something no one talks about and I can’t comprehend why, for a bunch of expensive high skill players I don’t think I’ve seen any other team bobble the puck or whiff on shots nearly as much. The movement in zone is lazy at times sure but even still they get the puck to dangerous spots often enough that 1/28 is absurd, it’s these tiny mishandles at the worst times that neuter it.

Don’t get me wrong I’d re-work the powerplay from the ground up if I was in charge but even keeping the existing set up, if passes and shots were a half second or half foot more precise it would still be a top-10 PP. Its even worse in the playoffs, we’ll have a solid 30-45 seconds of good movement and complete puck control, and as soon as it looks like we can capitalize on some lost coverage, either the point man bobbles the puck and loses the zone or Rielly/Tavares miss picking a corner by a few inches and the puck bounces back to our zone. That or Matthews gets a shooting lane and the puck gets thrown into his skates or behind him and gives the goalie enough time to adjust.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Its funny if you hear Keefe's postgame comments after the Canes game talking about the PK/PP, you would think its ALL bad luck. He goes on about how great the process has been. I guess he's preparing for all the respect Leafs will receive on the handshake line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For me it’s something no one talks about and I can’t comprehend why, for a bunch of expensive high skill players I don’t think I’ve seen any other team bobble the puck or whiff on shots nearly as much. The movement in zone is lazy at times sure but even still they get the puck to dangerous spots often enough that 1/28 is absurd, it’s these tiny mishandles at the worst times that neuter it.

Don’t get me wrong I’d re-work the powerplay from the ground up if I was in charge but even keeping the existing set up, if passes and shots were a half second or half foot more precise it would still be a top-10 PP. Its even worse in the playoffs, we’ll have a solid 30-45 seconds of good movement and complete puck control, and as soon as it looks like we can capitalize on some lost coverage, either the point man bobbles the puck and loses the zone or Rielly/Tavares miss picking a corner by a few inches and the puck bounces back to our zone. That or Matthews gets a shooting lane and the puck gets thrown into his skates or behind him and gives the goalie enough time to adjust.

The most straight forward answer is they are skilled guys who rely on confidence and feel more than game plan, diligence and effort level (yes, even on the PP). When it’s on, it’s a flow state. And when it doesn’t click the doubt creeps in and they quietly wonder why things aren’t clicking. There’s no set structure. There’s nowhere anyone has to get to. They don’t fight for those areas. They don’t hurry up the ice. There’s no urgency.

Reactions: weems

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
As usual, our biggest Achilles heel in the playoffs continues to special teams. The powerplay has not found its groove and the PK despite the new additions and Marner’s return continues to be crap. I don’t understand how the coaching staff could watch this slow moving train wreck and make literally zero adjustments.

Through three playoff games the Leafs have had 11 opportunities on the PP and scored once. Out of 10 penalties we’ve taken we’ve only killed five. It’s all just so predictable.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
As usual, our biggest Achilles heel in the playoffs continues to special teams. The powerplay has not found its groove and the PK despite the new additions and Marner’s return continues to be crap. I don’t understand how the coaching staff could watch this slow moving train wreck and make literally zero adjustments.

Through three playoff games the Leafs have had 11 opportunities on the PP and scored once. Out of 10 penalties we’ve taken we’ve only killed five. It’s all just so predictable.
It's like you or I driving around with 1 flat tire...

My car drives funny, pulls to one side.
Did you know it was flat? Yes.
Did you do anything to fix it? No.
Okay.

40bfb6a76627032773450ddee967be36.jpg

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

50 percent penalty kill. It's even worse than I thought it was. :laugh::help:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Its funny if you hear Keefe's postgame comments after the Canes game talking about the PK/PP, you would think its ALL bad luck. He goes on about how great the process has been. I guess he's preparing for all the respect Leafs will receive on the handshake line.
Keefe needs to go.
Bruins no powerhouse PP either
They were struggling mightily until the playoffs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Keefe is going to look great behind the bench in Scranton for his boy Dubas
Cassidy was available after the Bruins fired him, and is looking poised to win B2B cups is Vegas. We have so much to be thankful for the 5 years of disservice that idiot gave us.

As for the PP, perhaps these guys should check their egos at the door and do what is good for the team.

Reactions: rocketman588

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Cassidy was available after the Bruins fired him, and is looking poised to win B2B cups is Vegas. We have so much to be thankful for the 5 years of disservice that idiot gave us.

As for the PP, perhaps these guys should check their egos at the door and do what is good for the team.
Whoever writes the book ranking the failures during the Shanny and Dubas era will have their work cut out.

Reactions: Ports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad