The leafs should _____ offseason thread

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I hate a lot of things about this roster but for me it starts and ends with that Johnny T contract. So with Pelley coming in I would keep everything as is. Re-sign Marner or sign and trade him for a massive return if that's available. I would only run it back next year because it's still a playoff team and they need to line up the right pieces for the 2025 off season. There's only so much you can do this year and unlikely for it to be enough to make a significant impact.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Okay. It's just amusing to see a "Bruins" fan feeling the need to defend the Leafs in a Habs/Leafs feud.
That's why I love these boards.
Well yeah when a Habs fan starts a thread calling the Bruins and Leafs weak teams you probably should expect some Bruins fans to find that funny. Not really defending the Leafs at all, I laugh at both organization's. If makes you feel better I actually dislike the Leafs more than the Habs. Now that's like saying I prefer eating sand over dirt but I digress.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If you're really here you'd know what the running joke "Toronto Sports Network" but clearly you're not here.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
If you were really here you would know that the T in TSN stands for the, but clearly, you are not here.
:laugh::laugh::laugh

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Nah. This reminds me of my Caps in the 2010s. Really good team that just couldnt gel it together in the playoffs. But they were on the right track. All it takes is one random year that the stars align.

Instead of ”keep it going” Caps panicked, they decided to overreact and invent the wheel again. Hired Dale ”defence wins” Hunter who made prime Ovechkin into fourth line grinder and ended up wasting years of the cores prime pulling all kind of rabbits out of their sleeves.

What eventually got it done wasnt a magic trick. Is happened after they settled down again and let it roll, even if it was once again so close when they were close firing Trotz just few months earlier.

What im saying, overreacting and overcorrecting very rarely works. Leafs has highly talented lineup with plenty of years left on the cores prime. You build around it, dont crash it.

And when you finally get there all these failures make it just feel that much better.

This. Learn from the losses and eventually wake up. Game 3 OT of 2018 in the first round was the Caps wakeup call after so many series let downs. The Leafs are at this point imho and it's not time for them to panic yet. Stabilize the goaltending and get some grit.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Well yeah when a Habs fan starts a thread calling the Bruins and Leafs weak teams you probably should expect some Bruins fans to find that funny. Not really defending the Leafs at all, I laugh at both organization's. If makes you feel better I actually dislike the Leafs more than the Habs. Now that's like saying I prefer eating sand over dirt but I digress.
I honestly don't care. I don't live vicariously through my team and therefore do not need my ego stroked like so many here do. Love the Habs, hate them... no skin off my nose.

And the Leafs are weak. But I never said such thing of the Bruins. Actually, in the "what makes the Bruins so good" thread (or something like that), I had quite high praise for the organization.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think they have to let Tavaras go and move on from Marner but I'm not sure how easy that will be to do.

IDK if they try and move him but it won't be hard. He has 1 year and July 2nd his actual salary is league minimum. Lots of teams could use a good pro who have cap space and their owner will like getting a 60+ point center for dirt cheap for a season. Hawks might make sense.

It's pretty telling that Marner referred to themselves as "Gods" after losing in the first round again. I doubt you'll hear guys on a team like Vegas referring to themselves like that after losing in Game 7. Tells you a lot about their priorities. More concerned with celebrity status than championships.

No he didn't. Be better.

Tweak it, don't burn it down. Get some D...

D hasn't been the problem in a long time

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm watching a Leafs team lose in the playoffs yet again with the knowledge that they won two games down 3-1 without Matthews. He comes back, they lose.

It was rather predictable..

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's pretty telling that Marner referred to themselves as "Gods" after losing in the first round again. I doubt you'll hear guys on a team like Vegas referring to themselves like that after losing in Game 7. Tells you a lot about their priorities. More concerned with celebrity status than championships.
OMG! Really? What was the context? Does he want to be worshiped. Does he expect people to bow before him? Was he answering a question highlighting how it feels to be a Maple Leaf? Does it mean that the Leaf players are held in high regard that the players are placed on a high pedestal? This is serious.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Gotta think Pelley's first big move might be finally sending Shanny packing.

Long overdue, he's been a complete bust.
The interesting thing is that Shannahan probably did more good things than bad thing, but hiring Dubas destroyed all good things he did.

D hasn't been the problem in a long time
From what I read around here, the Leafs had no problem in a long time.....

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Then you haven't paid attention.. Issue has been being unable to score goals in the playoffs for many years now
Last year the TML scored 33 goals in 11 games. Two years ago they scored 24 goals in 7 games.

That's not inability to score goals....

It looks more like Leafs fans are not paying attention ;)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Last year the TML scored 33 goals in 11 games. Two years ago they scored 24 goals in 7 games.

I have been playing attention- you quoted a poster named HockeyVirus

• Haha
Reactions: nturn06

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

In their last 13 playoff games they have scored more than 2 goals once, and it was 3 goals. In games 5/6/7 the Leafs rarely have scored more than 2 goals over the last 5 years. Going back a few years

Shutout in the CBJ series game 5
Habs scored 3 in 5, 2 in 6, 1 in 7
Tampa they eliminated them in a 2-1 game, the series before lost in 7 only scoring 1 goal in game 7.
This year they kept the Bruins to 4 goals total in the last 3 games.

It has not been an issue of defense or goaltending. There isn't a goalie in the league who has the expectation to pitch a shutout to win an elimination game.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
In their last 13 playoff games they have scored more than 2 goals once, and it was 3 goals. In games 5/6/7 the Leafs rarely have scored more than 2 goals over the last 5 years. Going back a few years

Shutout in the CBJ series game 5
Habs scored 3 in 5, 2 in 6, 1 in 7
Tampa they eliminated them in a 2-1 game, the series before lost in 7 only scoring 1 goal in game 7.
This year they kept the Bruins to 4 goals total in the last 3 games.

It has not been an issue of defense or goaltending. There isn't a goalie in the league who has the expectation to pitch a shutout to win an elimination game.
Sorry my mistake, I did not realize that by "for many years now" you actually mean in the last 12 months.... Is this a new calendar or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad