the Leaf Goalie Debate, Discussion etc etc

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
33 stops against one of the leagues tops teams. Think calling Reimer a backup level goaltender at this point is a bit silly.

I dont think thats what they meant.

I think more the idea is that in the last 2 years, he has been given a couple (not as many as Bernier) chances to run with the ball, and basically every time he either has a minor injury and lets Bernier back in, or he gives us a stinker.

Again, I dont necessarily agree, but there is a point to be made that since Bernier has come over, Reimer hasnt put 3 good starts together in a row. Again he has maybe gotten 3 straight starts, or 3 in 4 games maybe just a handful of times but thats the reality

Delicious Dangles*

33 stops against one of the leagues tops teams. Think calling Reimer a backup level goaltender at this point is a bit silly.
Except the team in front of him played significantly better than the other team, and even though LA scored one of their goals illegally, he still let in a really bad goal to let them tie it up with seconds left in the 2nd period.

That performance is nowhere close to "past the level of a backup". Backups should have just as much ability as a starter, or at least close to it.

What makes a #1 goalie that step above is exactly what Reimer struggles the most with. Consistency, both within the games and from game to game.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm quite serious. Bernier has been the better of the two - but their stats really aren't that far apart - especially when you factor in how much Carlyle has favoured Bernier in terms of starts.
You haven't voted in the poll.

A great way to make the playoffs is when your backup plays well.
I'm glad when the Leafs backup Reimer plays well.

I'm sure the Kings liked it when Quick's backup Bernier played well.

Reimer is 100% the backup.

If you think different vote in the poll.

Own up or shut up.

Tyler Biggs*

Jonathan Bernier and James Reimer have combined for a .957 save percentage in the past five games. Not too shabby for two guys the haters continue to say are AHL backups. Good on the guys as they have played big parts in the winning streak. 8-1-1 is the best in the east the past 10 games.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
It is not up for debate and to suggest it is, is simply denial.

Whether one agrees or not, the Leafs have clearly and obviously chosen Bernier.

The reason for the "hate" between supporters of one or the other is because people are not willing to accept certain players have certain roles in helping to make the team successful.

Reimer is the back-up goalie. I hope he wants to be the starter and will play his ass off to prove he is the #1 because we all win then. I only want him to do this without creating issues in the dressing room.

I will say this, I know Bernier is a superior goaltender, but I am just as happy with a win no matter who is in net, and I want deeply for Reimer to play out of this world every start he gets.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
^ Exactly. Bernier is the clear-cut #1 goalie on this team, and it's because he's better, plain and simple. That's as close to an objective truth as you can get in a situation such as this. Reimer is a good goalie and I'm glad he's on our team, but to suggest that this is still a debate or that the Leafs have anything even remotely resembling a goaltending controversy is just plain asinine at this point. Both goalies will get their starts, and I for one hope for a shutout from our goalies every night, regardless of who is in net.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lots of teams could be looking for goaltennders come the deadline - the ducks even resorted to signing Bryz. Reimer could, and if management is now convinced he is a backup, then he should be moved for maximum value. Reimer should be given more starts though, as a means of maximizing his trade value.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lots of teams could be looking for goaltennders come the deadline - the ducks even resorted to signing Bryz. Reimer could, and if management is now convinced he is a backup, then he should be moved for maximum value. Reimer should be given more starts though, as a means of maximizing his trade value.

What?? you do not sit your number one to play your back up just in hopes that you can get more for him!

Bernier has removed all doubt as to his place in the NHL as a number one goalie. His save percentage is now 922 and is in 12th and tied for 8th in wins, while facing more shots per game then almost all goalies. Best goalie we have had in a long while.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
What?? you do not sit your number one to play your back up just in hopes that you can get more for him!

Bernier has removed all doubt as to his place in the NHL as a number one goalie. His save percentage is now 922 and is in 12th and tied for 8th in wins, while facing more shots per game then almost all goalies. Best goalie we have had in a long while.

If you remove the 2 backups from the totals he would be 10th. :yo:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

The only problem with this is likely that his maximum trade value will not be worth much of substance. Picks wise, maybe a 2nd rounder. Player wise, some depth filler.

I'd say his maximum value to the Leafs is remaining their backup. They know what they have in him, he is capable of handling #1 duties if Bernier were to go down, and his contract is quite reasonable (although it can be argued it's too high for a backup).

Reimer supposedly asked for a trade out of town, but he also went on to say that he always hoped/planned to end his career a Leaf. If he embraces the backup role, which he is doing much better this year than he did last year, then he should recognize he has a good thing going here in Toronto.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
.952 .964 .970 .957 .808 .921 .946 .846 .963 .929 .750 .950 .962

Bernier's last 13 games after his slow start. It's nice to see him taking that next step towards elite level goaltending.

Tyler Biggs*

Carey Price, why is it that when he does this it's brilliant goaltending and when Bernier or Reimer does it it's lucky? Bernier and Reimer do it more often too. Just saying...

Tyler Biggs*

I don't know about you guys but I think that Toronto has the best goalie tandem in the NHL. Both James Reimer and Bernier are animals! And if we do make the playoffs James Reimer is clutch!

JMcLeaf

I don't know about you guys but I think that Toronto has the best goalie tandem in the NHL. Both James Reimer and Bernier are animals! And if we do make the playoffs James Reimer is clutch!

leafs_bruins.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Carey Price, why is it that when he does this it's brilliant goaltending and when Bernier or Reimer does it it's lucky? Bernier and Reimer do it more often too. Just saying...

I swear I saw the exact same comments on TSN (leafs vs ducks page). Are you one of them by any chance?

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Bernier has showed he's the better goalie so far this year and is more consistent.

But Reimer has played great too, Bernier should get the bulk of the games, but having said that I am a bigger fan of Reimer I just love the guy and would be 100% happy if he started kicking ass and took the lead from Bernier.

But, come playoff time we'll be happy we have both goalies, I don't get rid of either one.

Would be awesome if we could convince Reimer to stay but if he's not #1 he's going to leave to try and become a starter for sure.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Normally you would go with Reimer on a back to back, but I think you have to start Bernier tomorrow against Chicago to stop the bleeding, if indeed he is our #1G off of an off game tonight.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
Normally you would go with Reimer on a back to back, but I think you have to start Bernier tomorrow against Chicago to stop the bleeding, if indeed he is our #1G off of an off game tonight.

They have to come back with Bernier for a couple of reasons 1) he is the number one and should not have the unnecessary fear that 1 bad game here and there will cost him and 2) If they started Reimer and he plays well then you potentially raise the goalie controversy which is not a good thing.

However this is a back to back and Reimer played very well against Chicago last time around.

It will probably be an ugly game for whoever gets the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad