the Leaf Goalie Debate, Discussion etc etc

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Bernier or Reimer

Based on their work this season, if it's your call, who gets the bulk of the work going forward?

I know the situation could change, but as of now, who gives the Leafs the best chance to win?

CalgaryLeaf*

Bernier should be the #1

Reimer is off the a hot start but that gambling style isn't going to hold up for the long haul...His rebound control is still a big weakness...That said,he is playing better that Bernier so far.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
People should know their stats ...

Current stats for Leafs Goalies

|Player |Team |GP |GS |W|L |OT |SA |GA |GAA |Sv |Sv% |SO |G |A |PIM |TOI
1|James Reimer|TOR|7|6|4|2|0|214|16|2.65|198|0.925|0|0|0|2|361:37:00
2|Jonathan Bernier|TOR|10|9|4|3|2|286|25|2.75|261|0.913|1|0|0|0|545:44:00

grenade

Jan 6, 2009
mountains
My opinion is Bernier is the more sound of the two right now, even though he has had an average start compared to last year. He makes some funny bad plays stickhandling but he is waay more comfortable handling the puck over Reimer which helps their weak breakout.

Hes also quieter in the net, is set for shots better, doesnt swim as much as reimer, and protecting a lead in the third im much more nervous with reims in than bernier. That said id like to see reimer prove me wrong, he has the raw talent, i hope they push each other.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bernier always gives us the best chance to win.

People need to realize Reimer is a backup, and nothing more.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Bernier

Reimer has been good, But I kind of think he won't be here by the new year. We've got to clean our cap situation up for this year, And getting a cheaper back-up would help.

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
reimer has played better than bernier so far but bernier is the better goalie in terms of talent and form. reims is still the floppy goaltender from two years ago.

bernier all the way. :yo:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If we're going by who has been better so far, it's easy, the answer is Reimer. Stats don't lie and Reimer's are better in almost every way so far.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I don't understand the need to take sides like a teenaged girl picking vampires or werewolves.

They are both very good goalies. I'm glad to have both. Their career stats are almost identical. One has a career .918 in 127GP, and the other has a .915 in 147GP.

Keep 'em both hot.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
As others have mentioned, Reimer has been better so far this season.

Delicious Dangles*

Neither goalie has played all that well this season, but Bernier should be the #1 going forward.

I will laugh at anyone that stresses over the so-called "collapses" of the last 3 years, and then picks Reimer, who has been the one in net for all of them.

CalgaryLeaf*

Based on what? Reimer has outplayed him thus far and Bernier has yet to prove he is a clear #1.

Bernier is the more fundamentally sound of the two,so I'd go with the law of averages.

Over a bigger sample size Reimer will fall back to familiar territory...It's like a .260 career hitter in baseball who get's off to a hot start...He may have better stats than Miguel Cabrera over a 10 game span but the superior hitter rises to the top over the course of a 162 game season.

Ideally the Leafs will trade Reimer at some point and get a 2nd round draft pick for him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Neither goalie has played all that well this season, but Bernier should be the #1 going forward.

I will laugh at anyone that stresses over the so-called "collapses" of the last 3 years, and then picks Reimer, who has been the one in net for all of them.

So i guess you're also saying we should move Phaneuf and Kessel as well since they were also part of the 3 collapses .

Reims should be getting more starts going forward based on the play of both so far but that could change very quickly .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bernier is the more fundamentally sound of the two,so I'd go with the law of averages.

Over a bigger sample size Reimer will fall back to familiar territory...It's like a .260 career hitter in baseball who get's off to a hot start...He may have better stats than Miguel Cabrera over a 10 game span but the superior hitter rises to the top over the course of a 162 game season.

Ideally the Leafs will trade Reimer at some point and get a 2nd round draft pick for him.

Over their careers they have similar stats. Reimer's career with the Leafs, Bernier split between King and Leafs.

Reimer's up and down, .921, .900, .924, .911, .925.

Might be a good year to deal him if he's going to have another good one.

Ace88*

If we combined the strengths of the two the result would be a monster of a goaltender.

I dont see why everyone is so obsessed with having to pick one. They are both good goaltenders who can steal you a game or lose you a game on any given night. Im happy to have both.

hockeyfanz*

I like both goalies but Bernier is the guy for me. If Reimer isn't content in a backup role, he should be traded.

Actually he makes too much money for a backup so he should be traded anyway. Bernier has the better form and has better rebound control.also better with the puck. I think over the course of a year...the differences will be easily seen and documented.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Reimer.

He's outplayed Bernier thus far... and he didn't get to play Buffalo.

I think coaching considers Bernier to be the starter and plays Reimer against the difficult teams where he says "well this is going to be a loss, so we should rest Bernier for the sure win." It is weird that Reimer's stats are as good or even slightly better than Bernier, when Reimer has played the tougher teams. I'm not sure what to think. Last year I thought Bernier was the better goalie, this year it's a toss up.

TheThrill81*

If we combined the strengths of the two the result would be a monster of a goaltender.

I dont see why everyone is so obsessed with having to pick one. They are both good goaltenders who can steal you a game or lose you a game on any given night. Im happy to have both.

But you still have to pick sides in Bipolar Nation. :help:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Over their careers they have similar stats. Reimer's career with the Leafs, Bernier split between King and Leafs.

Reimer's up and down, .921, .900, .924, .911, .925.

Might be a good year to deal him if he's going to have another good one.

I can't even say he's been up and down , he played well last year until they froze him out and then was thrown in cold behind a team that was packing it in .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad