The last time the Leafs were this bad … they won the cup!

Sip

Jul 18, 2013
I was reading about he Leafs current 10 game losing streak and how it was the longest in franchise history tying the Jan. 15-Feb. 8, 1967 10-game skid, ... then it hit me; that was the last year they won the Stanley Cup.

Perhaps this form of cosmic irony is the start of the reform that returns the Leafs to Cup greatness, albeit, not this year. Or perhaps I'm just trying to console my soul from one more year of Beleafing heartache.

Does anyone else have examples of such Leafs coincidences this year that could be interpreted as omens from the 'Hockey Gods'?

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I was reading about he Leafs current 10 game losing streak and how it was the longest in franchise history tying the Jan. 15-Feb. 8, 1967 10-game skid, ... then it hit me; that was the last year they won the Stanley Cup.

Perhaps this form of cosmic irony is the start of the reform that returns the Leafs to Cup greatness, albeit, not this year. Or perhaps I'm just trying to console my soul from one more year of Beleafing heartache.

Does anyone else have examples of such Leafs coincidences this year that could be interpreted as omens from the 'Hockey Gods'?

Back then, there were only 6 teams. How many teams missed the playoffs that year?

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
That's it, we need to trade as many prospects and draft picks as possible by the trade deadline for veteran players to make this playoff run! :sarcasm:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I wouldn't be planning the Stanley Cup parade, also this year's 10 game losing streak isn't the same and not a true 10 game losing streak because the 8th "loss" was in overtime and in 1967 there were no ot's, so that would be a tie.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There is absolutely NO COMPARISON between the 1967 and 2015 losing streaks. NONE! :shakehead

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Here is a major difference as I see this omen.

In 1967 when the Leafs lost 10 straight games the context of them winning the Cup thereafter is that they were a good team as they won 3 consecutive cups in 1962, 63 and 1964 beforehand.

This would be a kin in modern day terms of say either Chicago or LA losing 10 straight games this year and still winning the Cup because they have both won 2 Cups in the last 5 seasons each.

So there is a difference between a good team falling on tough times and losing a bunch and a bad team hitting a losing streak with that the expected norm and not the exception.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No idea what the context was in terms of injuries and whatever but there's a difference between an old dynasty hitting the skids vs a team full of frat boys tasked with playing a grown man's game and realizing they don't have the character, habits, skills to succeed.

Sip

Jul 18, 2013
The 1967 team had a goal-tending duo who basically split the season; Bower and Sawchuck.

Bernier and Reimer and no Johnny and Terry, but there is another omen. perhaps? :help:

HometownHockey

Last time the Maple Leafs lost 10 straight, they won the Stanley Cup

Last time the Maple Leafs lost 10 straight, they won the Stanley Cup

150206_Leafs_L.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs went to New Jersey last night with one thing on their minds. Break out of the disastrous slump they are in. Having gone into the game without a win in their last ten games, the Buds were looking forward to taking on the sub .500 Devils. Not only did they lose, they created a new team record for futility by breaking the old one set by the 1966-67 version of the team. Yep, the same team that was the last group of Leafs to win the Stanley Cup.

READ MORE, HometownHockey.ca...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/TOR0056.php

mustangbangs

Apr 13, 2014
No the last time we were this bad was the 80s when we were selecting very early in the draft on more then one occasion. The 67 was a blip on the radar they went on to win the cup the 80s teams had consecutive years of suck just like
now.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
the 10 game losing streak in 1967 was actually WORSE than this year because this year was only 8 straight regulation losses, the 9th vs NJ was a tie after regulation and needed an ot and a so to get the loss. In 1967 they were ALL regulation losses. The 1967 10 game losing streak still is the worst in franchise history, they say this years "11 game losing steak" is the new record, but not really, it was a 9 game losing streak and an 11 game winless streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad