The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
snip
2. Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary (2001/2011)
-Spawns are trash.
-Weapon damage feels a touch inconsistent. Pistol is as overpowered and dominant as always.
-Maps had really interesting architecture for the time, and newer iterations built on their solid foundations (Hang Em High, Prisoner).
-Not shocked the maps didn't get a remaster, and maybe it would've been unnecessary: the gameplay found here does not hold up like the single-player.

Final Thoughts: I don't remember of Halo CE had such bad spawns in the past, but if they are accurate then this function is more of a relic than modernly playable game. Everything else matters less.

Overall: 4/10 (Generous)

The spawns are definitely shit, but somehow that's part of the charm to me. Having the pistol as overpowered is kind of a good thing since it balances the playing field given that everyone respawns with one. I enjoyed playing the multiplayer on it in the MCC; it's rough around the edges but the gameplay holds up IMO.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The spawns are definitely shit, but somehow that's part of the charm to me. Having the pistol as overpowered is kind of a good thing since it balances the playing field given that everyone respawns with one. I enjoyed playing the multiplayer on it in the MCC; it's rough around the edges but the gameplay holds up IMO.

I agree with your assessment, but on a critical level I cannot use charm as an excuse for something that breaks entire matches, which is why I ended up calling the multiplayer experience a relic: fun to dip your toes into to relive a piece of history, but I cannot stand being at the mercy of the one thing you have zero control over. Over time, it ends up being annoying.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Death Stranding 8.5/10

Took a little bit to get going but it really drew me in once it did, hard to describe it or how to classify it, don't even know if I could say I enjoyed it but I had to play/finish it

Reactions: tealhockey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I agree with your assessment, but on a critical level I cannot use charm as an excuse for something that breaks entire matches, which is why I ended up calling the multiplayer experience a relic: fun to dip your toes into to relive a piece of history, but I cannot stand being at the mercy of the one thing you have zero control over. Over time, it ends up being annoying.

Unless it's a really close game, I don't see the spawn issue breaking entire matches. Best case scenario it doesn't impact your match, worst case scenario you die 3-4 times from it. So on average probably like 1-2 deaths, but it applies to both teams equally, so it's just a dumb broken issue that shouldn't change the outcome too much.

I mainly like Halo:CE multiplayer for mastering the 3 shot headshot pistol kills and grenade physics. If you perfect those two gameplay mechanics, along with knowing the maps and rocket launcher spawns, you will be golden in beating anyone. You don't even need to ever pick up snipers/shotguns/etc. because the pistol trumps everything except the rocket launcher at close/mid range.

-

I just beat the storyline of Super Mario Odyssey. It was enjoyable but far from a masterpiece, IMO. I don't really take issue with much of the structure of the game or the collectathon mechanic for the moons. The end-game is ridiculously dumb though; I read somewhere that you can buy like 100 more moons? Who the hell wants to spend time tediously collecting coins to buy more moons? Just seemed uninspired and too grindy to me. I did go to the dark side of the moon and beat the mountain of bunnies though. I think I finished the game with around 350 moons but have no desire to go back and look for more.

I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Forager - 8/10

This is kind of a clicker/grinding/farming game. A game I admittedly shouldn't enjoy because they're not my style but I was hooked to this one. You start with one island and can buy 48 others. They get more and more expensive as you build out but each one has something new like a quest, a giant chest with a new item, a dungeon, etc. I don't know what it was about this game vs others like it but I was hooked. The progression seemed like it paced really well and before I knew it, I was playing for 4-5 hours at a time and playing every day. It took me about 45 hours to 100% the game. If you're looking for a game where you just focus on progressing and grinding, it's good fun. Even if you're not, I still enjoyed it, you might too.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
Spiderman 6/10

I wanted to like it...started off well(even with the overly difficult first fight with Fisk) but it got stale quickly for me...used the second suit power i unlocked(web blossom)which was overpowered imo and didn't have to bother with gadgets...I grinded to max out all the skill trees and then plowed through the main story ...sadly another game that I couldn't wait to be over ..maybe I played it "wrong" but I shouldn't be surprised , I felt the same way about the Batman games...maybe they just aren't for me

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I feel like people give those games more credit than they deserve because they want to play as Spiderman or Batman. The flaws of the game are overshadowed by the fact that you're Spiderman.

For what it's worth, I never played Spiderman and don't really have any desire to. Not only do I not have a Playstation but most open world games are really boring to me. Too many pointless things to do and then running from mission to mission is just filler. You quickly realize a lot of your time in open world games is just running to the next objective with nothing else to do. A lot of what I heard about Spiderman a couple months after the initial hype died down were the same complaints you hear about most open world games feeling rather generic and filler-y.

I did play the first two Batman games though. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum, felt like a breath of fresh air. But Arkham City, which most people claim as to be the best of the series, felt like such a chore to me. Anything in the open world was just a drag to me. I don't really have much desire to play any of the others to be honest. I just feel like anyone who's going to put up the money to pay for comic book hero licenses are going to make the most cookie cutter safe bet game to make their money back and they just feel so average at that point with an appealing skin.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Not a Hero - 8/10

Not A Hero is a cover based 2D platformer full of action. The gameplay is great. You'll die a lot, similar to a game like Hotline Miami, where you'll keep going in with a new approach until you find out what works. There's such silly humor between levels as well. Overall, definitely a fun game to play. It'll probably take you about 4-5 hours, it doesn't overstay it's welcome at all. The later levels get especially challenging. Definitely a must buy if you see it on sale and even worth it at full price if you're on the fence about it.

Reactions: Ceremony

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I feel like people give those games more credit than they deserve because they want to play as Spiderman or Batman. The flaws of the game are overshadowed by the fact that you're Spiderman.

For what it's worth, I never played Spiderman and don't really have any desire to. Not only do I not have a Playstation but most open world games are really boring to me. Too many pointless things to do and then running from mission to mission is just filler. You quickly realize a lot of your time in open world games is just running to the next objective with nothing else to do. A lot of what I heard about Spiderman a couple months after the initial hype died down were the same complaints you hear about most open world games feeling rather generic and filler-y.

I did play the first two Batman games though. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum, felt like a breath of fresh air. But Arkham City, which most people claim as to be the best of the series, felt like such a chore to me. Anything in the open world was just a drag to me. I don't really have much desire to play any of the others to be honest. I just feel like anyone who's going to put up the money to pay for comic book hero licenses are going to make the most cookie cutter safe bet game to make their money back and they just feel so average at that point with an appealing skin.
Yep, absolutely. Granted, there's a lot of admirable innovation that went into the web-slinging and traversal controls that can't be denied, but that's a very small percentage of what makes a game great (it's not even remotely utilized in a way that factors into the actual gameplay), and most other aspects of it are very bland and overrated (including the storytelling, which was like poor-man's MCU).

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 9/10

What can I say? It's more Ori. If you liked the first, you'll like this one. It does feel kind of like more of the same but the pacing was great and it didn't overlast it's welcome. I 100%ed it in about 13 hours according to the in game clock.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Resident Evil 2 - 8.5/10 2019 Remake

Great job on the remake, everything looked great and the game play was excellent, took me back 20+ years, this is how to do a remake

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just beat Days Gone - thought it was a fitting game to take on in these trying times. I loved it, I thought the game play loop was satisfying and that the story had some really good moments.. Deacon was also a solid character, not the best protagonist ever however his personally was fitting for the zombie Apocalypse.

There were a few moments in my time with the game where I had lag spikes and bugs but nothing game breaking. I feel like the post-release patches really helped out in this regard.

Overall I give it an 8.5, may go down as one of my favorite PS4 games.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Doom Eternal 8.5/10

This is strictly on the single player. I'll give the multiplayer a shot tomorrow but I don't really care about it so if I hate it, it won't affect the score.

The fast paced action of Doom is back for more. Most battle arenas felt small but they balanced it out with some nice verticality in a lot of cases with multiple levels and poles you can swing on to reach the higher levels. I prefer the old style arenas more that were just huge but they tried something new and it still worked so I'll give them a bit of a pass there. People often complained about how items in the old Doom were found as part of world building where this one just had floating keys but I didn't mind that either. It gave the game more of a classic feel to the original games.

The game certainly did have some flaws to it that were really annoying when they came up:

• Running out of ammo leaves you with just the chainsaw. This isn't so bad at face value as chainsaw fuel will always recharge for one charge. The problem is I ran out of ammo a couple times in arenas where the only enemies were elite demons and you need three chainsaw fuel charges so I literally couldn't do anything other than punch them and toss grenades at them. It was actually faster for me to just die and redo the whole arena than to deal with that. They should either have a pistol like the last or always spawn in fodder until the arena is complete.
  • Invisible walls - for a game that focuses so much on exploration to find secrets, they sure loved putting invisible walls everywhere. So many times I tried jumping to what I thought was a secret just to fall down a pit. Falling down a pit doesn't instantly kill you but you lose 25 health and it's really frustrating when you think "oh, that's a secret" or even sometimes just "I need to go here to progress further," only to jump into an invisible wall. Furthermore, there were also some areas where it was debris hanging off the side of the building that you just fall through. On top of me taking fall damage fairly often from invisible walls, I also took fall damage from falling through floors... If it happens once, maybe twice, I usually forget about it, but it happened fairly often, probably a couple times each level, so it really stuck out.
  • Story - Big old meh. I don't think anybody plays Doom for the story. They tried shoehorning in a bunch of lore. It's fine to throw in some story to just make the progression make sense to go from level to level but just meh. It didn't add anything and sometimes felt like it was just slowing you down.
  • Marauders - They were the biggest pain in the ass enemy in the entire Doom franchise. It wasn't a "tough challenge," they were just annoying. You had to slow down to fight them which takes away from what makes Doom great. On a plus side, the snake demons were a welcome addition.
I know that may look like a long list of complaints to still give the game a high score but let's face facts, they didn't come up often enough for me to hate the game and not enjoy it. They were just issues that came up often enough for me to remember them. Still an awesome game, definitely recommend it if you like Doom. It just felt a tad disapointing.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Bridge Constructor Portal - 8/10

Bridge Constructor Portal is a puzzle game set in the Portal universe. You have to build bridges to guide carts through a certain path while avoiding hazards such as acid or turrets and guide them onto switches in the correct order to open doors. It's as much a physics game as it is about puzzle solving. It was actually a lot of fun. I tried Poly Bridge and didn't care for it too much because it got too complicated with all the different tools at your disposal and set funds. This doesn't have that issue. There's only two types of materials and no penalty for using too much money. Solving puzzles was a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing what changes I had to make to make a whole convoy work. I ended up 100%ing the base game, which has 60 puzzles, in probably 15 hours.

Bridge Constructor Portal - Portal Proficiency DLC - 8.5/10

The devs added 30 new levels with the same concept but more importantly, they added the ability to place portals wherever you'd like. This adds a whole new challenge to the game and makes it feel completely different from the base game. It's absolutely one of the better DLCs in terms of how much it changes the game and the content. If you liked the base game, you'd be stupid not to buy this. It's also so cheap at just $4 USD. It probably took me about 8 hours to 100% it. Can't beat that for $4.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
sRM4U59.jpg

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered (PS4, 2015 - originally PS3, 2011)

Trilogies are a strange thing. The concept of threes in telling a story is a tried and tested formula. You have a beginning, a middle an end. You have a character, they experience a conflict, there's a resolution.

In films the concept of a trilogy can be quite problematic. You have an initial film which does alright. It has characters and a setting and things happen in it. Maybe it's more popular than expected and then there's clamour for more, and expectation for better. So then the second film comes along and praise, it's better than the first one. The director, the writers, the actors, they all learned and discovered what the Story is all about, and they made it better now they're more comfortable and familiar with it. Even aside from trilogies, think of how many bands have a better album with their second than their first because they're more accomplished. Think of how many TV shows don't get into their stride until they're a few series in.

All of this is great, but then there needs to be something else. Maybe the second instalment had a cliffhanger ending. Maybe the beancounters producing them wanted more cash. You make a trilogy and all of a sudden you're trying to think where you can possibly go next. If you do more of the same, the audience will be bored. If you try to explore other aspects of your world, it's going to be stuff not deemed good enough for the second instalment. Then the audience will be bored and insulted.

Or maybe you planned a trilogy all along. Then you have an even bigger problem. Parts one and three are fine. They open the story and introduce everyone. The third part brings everything to a conclusion. What purpose does the second part serve then? If you view it as a standalone piece you're lost. The things that happen in it are by definition not as important as the beginning or the conclusion. Maybe you have viewers who haven't seen the first instalment, so you have to lead them in. But you can't just finish things with a set up for the final part. So then the second part has to build to a climax of its own, a showpiece moment of some sort which loses its lustre when you realise it's not the end of anything and there's still more to come. Why bother then? Why bother making, why bother consuming?

I'm not sure what the point of that opening is since there are four main series Uncharted games, not three. I bought the first three marketed as a trilogy though, so here we are. Nathan Drake, the world's worst archaeologist is back for another instalment where he slaughters hundreds of people and destroys a mythical object or location. I usually put off writing reviews of things for a while after I've finished them and I waited too long with this. I finished it ages ago and have finished games since, so I don't remember all of it too well. I'll do my best, which is more than I can say for the game.

My biggest problem with the first two Uncharteds was characterisation. Or, the lack of it. This one wasn't much better. Everyone's favourite personality vacuums return, and there's some new ones too. There's Charlie Cutter, some hired muscle who's introduced as an ally to Nathan and his BFF, Sully. Here's the first clue the game isn't up to much and it comes in the first five minutes. He's not introduced. He's just there, best mates with the people you do know from the first two games. Everybody else knows who he is, but the audience doesn't. It's really weird how everyone treats him with familiarity when the audience can't. Then he disappears around a third of the way into the game, so I'm not sure he actually serves any point at all.

We almost, almost, have some convincing villains for a change. There's some semi-interesting flashback sequences where we learn Drake's origins and how he met Sully. It's there one of the two main baddies is introduced, a Helen Mirren lookalike who wants to steal some of the Francis Drake memorabilia that Nathan stole in the first place. Her right hand man is a guy with a mole on his face who seems to be a villain purely on the strength of his posh English accent. Same goes for the woman, actually. But they get more screen time and more depth than normal, so it's a slight improvement.

The usual Uncharted plot applies, there's a mystical secret city somewhere in the Middle East and there's some mind-controlling substance hidden at the bottom of the water source underneath it. The bad guys want to take over the world with it (presumably), and Drake has to mow down an army's worth of men to stop them. When you think about it, it's remarkable how formulaic these things got, and how little difference it seemed to make to their popularity.

Fortunately, Uncharted 3 breaks up any monotony you might feel by throwing in sections completely unconnected to the rest of the story. After following his usual trail of clues to Yemen (I think it's Yemen, it might be Syria) Drake gets captured by chief baddie. He then gets taken away by her pirate henchman and spends a good 20% of the game scaling the side of some wrecked boats before ending up on a cruise ship looking for Sully. There's a storm, so the section turns into the Poseidon Adventure as he tries to escape. He then washes up on a beach and the story carries on from where it would have if he hadn't been yanked out of it. The whole sequence is like something from a JRPG where you get whisked into a battle arena every time you encounter an enemy. Did it happen? Did it matter if it did? There's always been a focus on the huge, impressive setpiece in these games but this is the first time it's really felt gratuitous to me.

If that wasn't bad enough there are so many plot holes you get the feeling the game is mocking you for insisting on playing it. Why are all of the English bad guy henchmen dressed like Agent 47? Why do they even all look identical? Why do bad guys continue to shoot at Drake even when they're close to dying themselves, in a castle that's burning down or in a ship that's sinking? Why is the castle they go to in France abandoned when it's clearly of historical significance, and why does it have modern kitchen facilities in the basement? What happens to the decayed corpse they find while they're there? How does the main bad guy already have some of the mind-controlling substance they're searching for in the desert, and how does he inject Charlie with it without the rest of the gang noticing even though they're stood about three feet away? I don't expect a focus on substance in every game I play, but insulting is the only word I can use to describe these plot holes when I sit and think about them. I'm sure I've missed loads as well.

The melee combat which was so clunky and pointless in the first two games is stretched beyond self-parody here. In addition to the standard button mashing fare against normal enemies you also get big guys who need more co-ordinated attacks to take down and have small quick time events to counter them. I say "big guys," they genuinely seem to be seven feet tall and built like the Hulk. Is this how melee combat is finally made a thing in these games? By making it literally unavoidable? You can shoot them, but of course they're bullet sponges and they just rush you, forcing you to go hand to hand.

I complained about the stealth elements of Uncharted 2 and they're just as annoying here. There's one section where you're going through an airbase trying to stowaway on a plane that's going to the city in the desert. There's an area where you have to get past some enemies going from one side to the other. You're given a silenced pistol to start, and you have the option of silent takedowns. You can stealth your way through, maybe restart if you take out someone the game didn't want you take out, then you get to the end and the ledge you have to climb up to get out. There are two people in front of it facing the same way. If you shoot one of them you raise the alarm and another ten guys appear from nowhere. You can maybe try to make a noise and distract one of them, but most of the time you'll instantly be spotted or it won't work. What's the point? Why put in the option of killing people silently, why have your companion tell you you have to be quiet, then not allow you to actually do it? There's a chance for some variety, something interesting, and it's like the game punishes you for even trying it.

There are some positives. The gameplay is better than in the first two games. Shooting feels nicer and there's a bit more variety in the weapons. The puzzles are almost actual puzzles this time. You still get answers from Drake's magic notebook, but they're more cryptic than usual. Maybe it's because I had such low expectations but the puzzles felt like a marked improvement, both in the thought behind them and the execution in solving them.

I've just realised, those are the only positives. I suppose it looks nice. But then it's an upscaled version of a game from what, six years into its original platform's life cycle? It should.

Since I never played the Uncharted games on PS3 they were always something I read other people talk about. They were well received critically and sold lots, so there must have been an audience who enjoyed them. It's also undeniable that it's one of PlayStation's marquee franchises, something shiny with mass appeal they can use to expand their audience. There's also no real denying that they're very effective at what they do, in a summer blockbuster film sort of way. Lots of action, lots of memorable scenes, some generically pretty and charismatic characters.

With all that in mind, I don't see what the fuss is about. As far as I'm still concerned, Naughty Dog peaked with the Jak and Daxter games. I think I burnt myself out with playing the Uncharteds back to back to back, but surely that's a mark of how derivative and repetitive they are? If we consider them as a trilogy, are they too focused on retention rather than reinvention? Probably. As of the end of March 2020 the rumour is that Uncharted 4 will be a PlayStation Plus game next month, so I'll let it cool off and see if my opinion changes any for the next (and last) one. I doubt it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I didn't beat it (actually rage deleted it off my console cause it pissed me off so f***ing much), but Ghost Recon: Breakout- 3/10

Game is repetitive as hell. Go into a base, interrogate a person, find out where the objective is, rinse and repeat. You could replace interrogate a person with hacking a laptop, taking pictures or finding a cell phone.

And honestly, there is one thing i f***ing hate about this game and it is reloading. This guy is a ghost, so why the f*** does it take so f***ing long for him to reload? I know you can unlock a skill that improves it, but even then it is still f***ing slow. Literally died a couple of times because the god damn reload time was so f***ing slow.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I didn't beat it (actually rage deleted it off my console cause it pissed me off so f***ing much), but Ghost Recon: Breakout- 3/10

Game is repetitive as hell. Go into a base, interrogate a person, find out where the objective is, rinse and repeat. You could replace interrogate a person with hacking a laptop, taking pictures or finding a cell phone.

And honestly, there is one thing i f***ing hate about this game and it is reloading. This guy is a ghost, so why the f*** does it take so f***ing long for him to reload? I know you can unlock a skill that improves it, but even then it is still f***ing slow. Literally died a couple of times because the god damn reload time was so f***ing slow.
You just answered your own question, they need to put stuff behind progression walls. :laugh:

I got Division 2 a couple months ago because it was just $3. I was still disappointed. I don't get the hype behind Ubisoft games. Sure, they look great, but the game play loops is just so boring, I ended up uninstalling the game after just a few hours and that's while playing with a friend. I can't imagine how boring it would have been if I was playing solo.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I wrapped up the Metro Exodus DLCs recently:

Two Colonels - 5/10

This feels like a walking simulator. It's basically broken up into 3 sections. The first flamethrower section is interesting enough, it's all really tight, linear hallways through a sewer. The second section has guns and you're just in the middle of a big battle where nobody really focuses on you, it's pretty boring. The third is another flamethrower section but ends up locking you in a big square room with mutants entering from all the vents while you literally keep running in circles and burn them. The story was pretty good but overall, it was a disappointing DLC. At least it doesn't really overstay its welcome at 2 hours.

Sam's Story - 9/10

Sam's Story feels a lot more like the base game. The second half ends up very linear. The first half doesn't truly feel very open world but it's still fun to explore. The story is pretty well written and the atmosphere is top notch. It definitely just feels like more of the base game. If you enjoyed the base game and want more, go for Sam's Story.

Since the season pass only includes these two DLC, I suggest just getting Sam's Story and saving the money unless the season pass ends up being so cheap you can end up getting Two Colonels for less than $2 or something.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
KxzFBLT.jpg

Psychonauts (PS4, 2016 - originally PS2, 2005)

Psychonauts is a PS2 game from 2005, a time when you could describe something as an "action-adventure platformer" and not only would it be accurate, but people would even know what you meant. You are Razputin, a small child with a big head who goes to a summer camp for children with psychic powers. Here you learn new things, develop those powers and make friends with the other oddballs who're there with you. Well, you should, but it turns out that someone has hatched a plot to steal the brains of everyone there and take over the world. Or something.

I don't really know how to describe this game in creative terms. There's a lot of content crammed in. There's a wide array of characters - teachers, children and others - and several different environments to explore, both in the open-world hub of the camp itself and other linear levels you progress through. There are several gameplay mechanics for you to use, both for movement and combat (and often combining the two of those). The writing for all of the characters and the world itself is superb, with a surreal sense of humour consistent throughout. Everything is a bit wacky, and Raz is appropriately both part of and removed from this, so the humorous tone never gets overbearing or tiresome.

The sheer volume of content isn't always a positive. There are several different areas all with distinct elements, but you can fire through each of them very quickly so they often pass you by. The game itself isn't that long, even considering how much time you could spend exploring everywhere and getting all the collectibles. There are times when the feeling of a game filled with content becomes a game with too much, where interesting things are brushed past to get to the next one without being properly realised.

The gameplay suffers for this too. Raz collects eight powers over the course of the game, which you assign to the shoulder buttons as and when you need them. L1 is out because that locks you on to an enemy. Levitation makes you jump higher and move faster so that's always taking up a space. You then have six abilities to spread between two buttons, often having to remember how to get into the menu to move those around rather than the one for your usable items. Even then, there are some powers you might only use once or twice. It just feels like a lot of ideas piled in without enough thought for how they all coalesce.

The game and the level layouts can be confusing at times. I'm so glad I live in a time when minimaps are an accepted part of open world games. Pausing and going into the map every thirty seconds to see where you're going is a pain. There are lots of different collectibles with different ways to collect them and these fall into the same trap as the powers, where figuring out how to use everything is as much of a challenge as finding them. Fortunately the game mitigates this most of the time by giving you a piece of bacon, which you can use to call for the advice of a crazy old man who's actually the most powerful Psychonaut there, but of course only Raz knows this. Then again, if the game includes a hint system you can call on at any time, that's probably not a positive.

As brief as it was, a lot of care and a lot of talent clearly went into this game. You might say it's a good thing that it doesn't overstay its welcome, that it doesn't stretch out too little material over too great a canvas. As much fun as it was, I think it suffered from the time and technology with which it was made. Hopefully the sequel can fully realise some of the unrealised potential here.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Bad North - 8/10

Bad North is a defense game where you defend an island with different classes of vikings. While it seems similar at face value with only 3 different classes and one skill per class, it has a surprising amount of depth. There are different elevations you want to protect making choke points very valuable. There are also plenty of enemy types to make you constantly adjust your strategy. You'll find new commanders and items along the way that can allow you to be more efficient in each turn.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. It took me about 7 hours to beat, it didn't get tiring but also didn't overstay its welcome. It's the kind of game that you can feel a little lazy with at times and have absolute mayhem going on if you really go on cruise control. I definitely recommend this game.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Finished up Half-Life 2 tonight.

Half-Life 2 (PC)
Developed by Valve Software

WeHk9kqTURBXy9lMjI0OTBjMzU5ZjQzMjE5NDNkYzM1YmU4Nzg3ODRiZi5qcGVnkZMFzQMUzQG8gaEwAQ

There's a point in the game that made me lose my shit, in a bad way. Towards the end of Highway 17, I climb the broken staircase of a house overlooking the bridge, and what I find is the crossbow lying alone without an enemy...…..until Poison Zombie suddenly appears in what might be the worst case of spawning I've ever seen in a shooter of this magnitude. Such an awful design decision that's preceded by a plodding driving level, only to be followed up with a brilliant hop across the bridge's undertow that reminds me why it's considered a classic.

Half-Life 2 has aged gracefully, yet terribly. Some of the levels remain phenomenal: the assault on Nova Prospekt, the initial levels introducing you to the world, the fight in City 17, just so much greatness on display. Then you have the long vehicle sections in Chapters 4 and 7 which happen to be well designed, but simply go on for too long while being visually uninteresting. Ravenholm is immediately gripping with the horrific imagery, fun traps and creepy monsters, only for the game to fall into the regenerating enemy bullshit that feels beneath its ambitions. The wonky jumping feels "underpowered" and floaty, while many of the physics puzzles are boring roadblocks now that gaming physics have further evolved since.

Historically important and still impressive in many respects. Maybe not the best shooter of the 2000s.

Score: 8/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Finished up Half-Life 2 tonight.

There's a point in the game that made me lose my shit, in a bad way. Towards the end of Highway 17, I climb the broken staircase of a house overlooking the bridge, and what I find is the crossbow lying alone without an enemy...…..until Poison Zombie suddenly appears in what might be the worst case of spawning I've ever seen in a shooter of this magnitude. Such an awful design decision that's preceded by a plodding driving level, only to be followed up with a brilliant hop across the bridge's undertow that reminds me why it's considered a classic.

Half-Life 2 has aged gracefully, yet terribly. Some of the levels remain phenomenal: the assault on Nova Prospekt, the initial levels introducing you to the world, the fight in City 17, just so much greatness on display. Then you have the long vehicle sections in Chapters 4 and 7 which happen to be well designed, but simply go on for too long while being visually uninteresting. Ravenholm is immediately gripping with the horrific imagery, fun traps and creepy monsters, only for the game to fall into the regenerating enemy bullshit that feels beneath its ambitions. The wonky jumping feels "underpowered" and floaty, while many of the physics puzzles are boring roadblocks now that gaming physics have further evolved since.

Historically important and still impressive in many respects. Maybe not the best shooter of the 2000s.

Score: 8/10

I've never been that enamored with it for some of the reasons that you stated. It also just felt kind of... soulless. I've always greatly preferred the original Half-Life. Speaking of which, I saw that Black Mesa, the fan-made "remaster" of Half-Life was finally completed and released last month after something like 10 years of work.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Big fan of this guy's channel in general (actually thinking about making a few threads for quarantine-discussion based on his videos) and in this one he talks about the problem with scaling up in the Arkham games.

I disagree with him a little, I thought Arkham City was excellent at giving us a bigger environment for Batman to do his thing in. But he goes on to praise Arkham Asylum and critique Arkham Knight for their sense of scale respectively.

I was replaying Nier: Automata recently and while it's such a cool concept, it's a reminder of how bored i get with the tedious exploration. An "open world" is only as good as the stuff inside of it. Some gamers seem to love the size of the game environment but IMO if there's nothing to do in that environment but collection trophies then I really couldn't care less.

Reactions: Nickmo82

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I've never been that enamored with it for some of the reasons that you stated. It also just felt kind of... soulless. I've always greatly preferred the original Half-Life. Speaking of which, I saw that Black Mesa, the fan-made "remaster" of Half-Life was finally completed and released last month after something like 10 years of work.

I would not necessarily go that far. The character work here surpasses most games of the time, let alone shooters, while I could see how much effort they put into the level design. To their credit, they took a playable yet unspectacular game engine and used their creativity to keep the game interesting........though I think an hour/hour and a half of it could have been cut for a superior final product. Where the soullessness comes in might be a question of location, as it's clearly situated in a Soviet Bloc part of the world (probably Odessa), though many would argue it was the intended effect, to produce a constant atmosphere of dread and hopelessness without ever fully becoming horror. I tend to agree with that assessment, but it does get a bit old on the eyes after constant play.

Even after the replay, I hold the game in high esteem because few single-player experiences provide as much emotional swell through gameplay. Despite its innovation at the time, HL2 is a classic example of producing high stakes through gameplay rather than cinematics. It holds up 80% of the time, and that 80% of play is some of the finest for the genre.

Half-Life 1 is more consistent in execution for sure, though I wasn't the biggest fan of its latter chapters. I'll have to try Black Mesa, shame it took so long to release but I've heard good things about it. My opinion: HL2 Episode 2 remains the pinnacle of Half-Life fare, unless my eventual replay says otherwise.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Now done.....

Half-Life 2: Episode One (PC)
Developed by Valve Corporation

half-life-episode-1.jpg

I'll keep it short: Episode 1's saving grace was Alyx's improved combat AI, allowing her to be by your side from beginning to end. Without that dynamic this set of levels would have been pretty lackluster overall, save for the excellent fourth level. Undue Alarm and Direct Intervention feel ripped out of the end chapters of the base game, while Lowlife is akin to a lesser Ravenholm in its usage of horror elements (though the pitch black rooms was a clever idea..........if the f***ing flashlight weren't connected to your running ability). Urban Flight is top notch section that combines every main enemy type into a free for all, while the unfortunate final chapter with another of those awful design choices deflates Episode 1's momentum. The final fight against the Strider was fun, if a reminder that the physics engine's unpredictability can be a buzzkill.

Score: 6/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad