The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
8Gz02WL.jpg

Xenon Racer (PS4, 2019)

Xenon Racer is a futuristic drift-based racing game. It's 2029 and next year, there's going to be a racing series with flying cars, powered by xenon gas. Just before that though all the teams and car manufacturers involved are pushing their technology as far as possible. The result is a manic push through tracks across the glove to see what's really the fastest.

What can I say here. It's a short Ridge Racer clone. You drift round tracks in Boston, Miami, Canada, Italy, Shanghai, Dubai and Nevada in an assortment of ludicrously designed cars. You go over boost pads occasionally, although you also recharge your boost meter by drifting. There are a few game modes besides standard races - checkpoint races, elimination races and straight time attacks all feature.
The only Ridge Racer I've ever played was the PSP one. Wikipedia tells me this was actually the best received game in the series, critically. It also tells me it's sixteen years old which is just harrowing. I don't technically have a lot of history or experience to compare this game with, but it was enjoyable enough. The best way I can think to describe the drifting was 'clunky,' as I found it hard to judge what angle to go through corners at. As you progress through the game you can unlock new parts for the different cars and this makes things a bit easier, but I still found it tricky.

I really like the aesthetics of this game. I think they could be better, the graphics themselves are also quite flawed. At the beginning of racers there's usually a strange haze floating around the track for the first few corners. I could never tell if it was intentional or the game just couldn't handle what was going on and ruined the graphics rather than drop the frame rate. Outside of that though the tracks are all in vivid and distinctive environments (even if the circuits themselves are fairly forgettable) and the cars themselves are exactly what fantasy car designs should be. Insane. During loading screens there's also some nice concept art of the various cars and teams, which I found nice to look at since I like cars and racing.

The game's short. Really short. I finished everything it had to offer in about seven hours. There's not much replay value in it. There's not much value either. I bought it in a sale for £5 something at like 80% off, and when I finished I still felt like that was pushing it.

That's pretty much it. I finished this ages ago and forgot to write it up. The only real reason I did is so I now have a review of a game starting with X. The only letter missing is Z, which I think I've typed mistakenly every time I've typed out Xenon here.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Halo 3 (MCC on PC)
Developed by Bungie/343 Industries

halo-master-chief-warthog-unggoy-sangheili-arbiter-thel-vadam-video-games-halo-hd-art-wallpaper-preview.jpg

If 343 can improve the net code to make the bullet hit registration less wonky, then there's really nothing else for me to pin down. One of the few shooters I believe has a legit claim for being the GOAT.

Score: 10/10

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Last of Us 2

7/10

Masterfully crafted but ultimately hollow. Significant pacing and storytelling issues. Gameplay is tighter than the original, but the driving purpose of that gameplay loop is much weaker, which made me want the game to just end already long before it finished. It made me want to replay the original more than anything.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yes, Your Grace - 9/10

I saw a couple streamers playing this briefly and it caught my interest. I picked it up during the summer sale and I'm glad I did. You play as a king and have to manage your resources to keep your people happy and safe. That will mean turning away people in need and making some hard decisions. I wanted to help everyone but had to let some people go empty handed and I felt bad about it. While helping others, I felt like it was a mistake to help those while not being able to help others. It actually gave me a bit of a Papers, Please feel as you're trying to help people but also have to do your job and care for your family. I actually found myself growing as a person while I focused more on keeping the castle as safe as possible early on to focusing on my family and making sure my family was happy, even if I thought it would hurt the castle, because I regretted some of my earlier decisions.

It's really just a management game on the face of it but it's so much more. The experience is certainly like no other. I didn't hear about this game at all until it was released, went in without high expectations and was blown away. It's definitely a must play IMO. And as a final note, the music is incredible. I was not expecting to love the music to an indie management game as much as I did. The credits song kind of came out of nowhere compared to the rest but as a folk metal fan, I absolutely loved it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yes, Your Grace - 9/10

I saw a couple streamers playing this briefly and it caught my interest. I picked it up during the summer sale and I'm glad I did. You play as a king and have to manage your resources to keep your people happy and safe. That will mean turning away people in need and making some hard decisions. I wanted to help everyone but had to let some people go empty handed and I felt bad about it. While helping others, I felt like it was a mistake to help those while not being able to help others. It actually gave me a bit of a Papers, Please feel as you're trying to help people but also have to do your job and care for your family. I actually found myself growing as a person while I focused more on keeping the castle as safe as possible early on to focusing on my family and making sure my family was happy, even if I thought it would hurt the castle, because I regretted some of my earlier decisions.

It's really just a management game on the face of it but it's so much more. The experience is certainly like no other. I didn't hear about this game at all until it was released, went in without high expectations and was blown away. It's definitely a must play IMO. And as a final note, the music is incredible. I was not expecting to love the music to an indie management game as much as I did. The credits song kind of came out of nowhere compared to the rest but as a folk metal fan, I absolutely loved it.

I got it after your earlier post about it. It's pretty good. As you said, it feels a bit like Papers, Please. I like that I can load it up when I have only 10-15 minutes and play just a day/turn or two. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Yes, Your Grace is on Switch for 20, might look into it. Papers, Please is on PS4 for I think 10 but I'll need to look later. So, both games are available to those of us that don't game on a PC.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
j5HBnKB.jpg

Beyond: Two Souls (PS4, 2016 - originally PS3, 2013)

Beyond: Two Souls is the third major console release from David Cage and Quantic Dream. It's an Interactive Drama where you control Jodie, played by Ellen Page, and the 'Entity' attached to her, Aiden, who can move and interact with things in the environment. As the game progresses we see the various stages of Ellen Page's life and things that happen to her and Aiden.

Before I say what I thought about the game though, I want to share this: The Video Game That Began With...Pictures Of Ellen Page

More pictures of Ellen Page. Ellen had been shooting movies since she was six years old: her entire life had essentially been documented. She never stopped filming. There were hundreds of photographs, a wealth of reference points at David’s disposal. Pictures of Ellen piled upon Cage’s script like a paperweight; with it came the added density of expectation, the weight of one single caveat: Ellen Page was becoming increasingly intertwined in this prodigiously huge video game project, but what if Ellen Page didn’t want to be Jodie Holmes?

What if Ellen Page wasn’t Jodie Holmes.

“I just kept writing,” says David, “and putting more images of Ellen in my script. After a year of writing I had pictures of Ellen all over the place. I began to realise that might be a problem. Because I realised I was going to have to ask Ellen to be in the game.”

What we have here then is 2,000 pages of fan fiction. Given my experience with David Cage's writing in the last two games I played, I'm not hopeful. Given his apparent terrifying obsession with one person, I'm really not hopeful. What am I saying? I've played the game. I should know what I think about it.

As before with Quantic Dream, gameplay is predominately in the form of quick time events. These have been simplified from Heavy Rain, with single prompts on-screen for moving the right stick in a certain direction - up, down, left, right - rather than more complex movements. Face button prompts are still there too, but on the whole the controls are less intensive. Given the style of game I suppose this is a bit more fitting, but I personally found Heavy Rain's stick movements to be more immersive since they generally corresponded to what your character was doing.

Beyond's main gameplay additions are in two areas. The biggest one is the occasional 'stealth' section where Ellen Page has to dart about, hiding behind cover to take out some enemies. If you don't like stealth or have some sort of disability that makes it difficult for you to master the precise, fast-paced control inputs that stealth games often employ then no matter - the cover you dart between is entirely linear and pre-determined, and if you make a mess of taking out an enemy properly you'll get plenty of extra chances to take them out with a struggle. I'd assume this stuff was included as a response to criticism about the worthiness of this genre as a 'game,' but the only thing that ultimately stands out is how unlike a proper stealth game it is.

The other big draw is Aiden, Ellen Page's imaginary friend who is actually a semi-controllable malevolent spirit who likes destroying things. This turns Beyond into a two player game at times, as you switch to Aiden to progress in certain chapters and can do this with a second controller. Obviously I have no friends so I only ever did this myself, but it's... different, I suppose. It's nice having a bit more freedom to interact with the game's world than moving Ellen Page around and occasionally flicking an analog stick about, but some of your actions as Aiden don't make sense. He can possess people and make them open doors for you, or kill other enemies, or kill themselves. Yet this option is only available on certain people. Why? If there's an explanation it isn't included, and the result is you just feel like the game is being awkward for the sake of it.

While Heavy Rain was mostly a straight-forward, non-fantasy story compared to the earlier Fahrenheit, Beyond goes full batshit insane. Aiden isn't a phenomenon unique to Ellen Page. She was taken away from her mother at birth so the CIA could do experiments on her. The Department of Paranormal Activity, led by Willem Dafoe, have been investigating something called the Infraworld, where an assortment of spirits and souls exist and occasionally come through to our world. This happens to Ellen Page, who as a child was attacked by 'monsters,' these floating things that look like the skeletons of eels and have shiny orange mouths. They drag her about and attack her, and Aiden protects her.

Ultimately it turns out that Ellen Page was manipulated by the CIA so she runs away, only to be drawn back when it turns out that a fictional Asian country, which absolutely isn't China or North Korea, has access to a rift to the Infraworld, and they need to be stopped because America doesn't let other people have nice things. I can only assume that David Cage saved up the lunacy he couldn't employ in Heavy Rain and shoehorned it in here.

Before I forget, there's a scene where you're interrogated by someone from the bad country. He has a French accent. He's basically completely French. It's hilarious.
I need to get something off my chest. If you've played this game you'll now what's coming. If not, you've read the name Aiden here a few times so far. Say it again. Aiden. You know what you're saying, I know in my head what it sounds like as I type. This isn't what anyone says in-game. Imagine Aiden if it was a name made by Apple. iDen. Eye-den. Everyone says it like that and it drove me insane. As far as I can tell it's a French thing. They're typically militant about their language and try to resist it being compromised, so maybe they're insisting on wrong pronuniciations. By native English speakers. This is very petty, of course, but I couldn't get over it.

Since this is the third straight David Cage game I've played I suppose I need to comment on the writing. Fahrenheit was bad in that chapters and characters seemed completely disconnected from each other, with the things that happened having little or no legitimate justification. Heavy Rain had this to an extent because of the sections cut out of it, but the story was more grounded in reality anyway. Beyond is about Ellen Page having a semi-controllable spirit attached to her who can move things, so you have an idea of which game this more closely resembles.

The thing is, that makes it sound like your perception of the game might be centred on the spirits. It turns out that's only part of the problem though, as David Cage's obsession with Ellen Page means we get to see lots of ACTING and lots of EMOTION which effectively translates as putting Ellen Page in as many situations as possible where she's anguished and sobbing, or about to be killed, or about to be raped. I'm not sure if it's a compliment to her acting ability or a comment on what David Cage wanted her to do, but there were several occasions where I felt genuinely uncomfortable with what I was watching. In a good work of art this usually has a purpose, here it just feels gratuitous.

This isn't enough to save David Cage's bizarre set-pieces. The game's chapters don't happen in chronological order (although the PS4 version of the game adds this possibility). They dart around about the various stages in Ellen Page's life. I don't have any problem with this in principle and there's not much criticism to be aimed at this in isolation. The problem comes from the various chapters seemingly having little to do with one another, Ellen Page or the story itself. To give you an idea of what this is like I'm going to describe the most egregious cases individually:

NAVAJO: In which Ellen Page is wandering out in the desert somewhere before Aiden points out a farm which she couldn't possibly have missed. A Navajo family live here. The sons try to turn her away, but the father lets them stay. During the night they tell her to stay inside while there's what sounds like a massive storm. It turns out this is an evil spirit that the Navajo ancestors summoned one night to kill some soldiers who were taking their land, only they couldn't control it. Ellen Page can, and she gets rid of it. During one optional conversation with one of the sons you can form a relationship you can revisit at the end of the game.

THE PARTY: In which Ellen Page bugs Willem Dafoe to let her go to a party of some other children in "the program." Imagine David Cage trying to write five bratty teenagers. This is the only time playing one of his games where I've genuinely cringed at how awful it all is. I said Fahrenheit was like the work of someone who'd only ever watched bad films and never interacted with people - this is the same, only they were bullied at school for it and never got over it. Horrendous. Luckily you can set them on fire, so at least you can get some satisfaction from it.

RYAN: It wouldn't be a video game about an interesting, complex, capable female lead character without shoe-horning in an obnoxious male love interest to direct her life and add a relationship that makes no sense. Here's the thing though, the first we see this clown is when he turns up at Willem Dafoe's lab to take Ellen Page away for CIA training. She's a teenager and is unhappy about it. Next chapter, she's... as much of an adult as Ellen Page can look, and she's preparing for a date with the guy, begging Aiden to let it happen. "I like Ryan - he's funny, charming, handsome" and I'm just sat there thinking.... no. Regardless of what you say to him or what you do, this clown keeps trying to get fired into her. Then at the end you can still pick him as a final option, completely undermining anything you did previously or any sense of reality you apply to the game.

HOMELESS: At one point Ellen Page ends up homeless. She ends up making friends with some other homeless people. Wouldn't you know it, they're all smart, they're all worldly and after Ellen Page turns up and saves them they live happily ever after together in a house of some sort. David Cage has a strange opinion of homeless people that I think I find uncomfortable because it's half patronising, half exploitative. We might be supposed to sympathise with people just trying to survive. We don't need the option of Ellen Page going down an alley with a guy to make some money or a group of guys filming themselves beating up homeless people with bats to do this.

As I've been writing this I've been wondering what I can actually say about this game. Is it good? Did I enjoy it? Technically it's good. It looks much better than Heavy Rain. The detail on Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page's faces is great. Ellen Page also has lovely shoulder blades. The fact I've referred to Ellen Page throughout rather than Jodie should give you an idea of how good her performance is. The change in controls isn't one that I enjoy, but it makes the game more accessible and more cinematic, which is probably what they were going for.

The biggest problem with David Cage games goes back to the disjointed feeling of the narrative. Whole chapters and actual things that happen seem to happen in isolation from one another. Fahrenheit was much worse for this than Heavy Rain and Beyond, and I think that's because of the graphical differences. Obviously (hopefully) he would have developed and improved as a writer, but I think Fahrenheit took me aback because of how clunky it looked as well as played. As the presentation goes up, it covers up the cracks.

However, when you look back critically you see how out of place so much of it is. Why are chapters introduced with no context, putting Ellen Page in a random place and giving her an opportunity to do some weird shit is fine, but there's very little sense of cohesion between them. Then in some chapters you get a ridiculous focus on meaningless details. He's always had an obsession with food. In Heavy Rain you have to cook an omelette. You have a quick time event for every part of it, and you have to keep turning the stick to stir it otherwise it doesn't work. Same here. For Ellen Page's Dinner With Ryan she goes through a cook book and reads out three recipes before you're allowed to pick one and make it. Why? What level of immersion or realism is this supposed to offer? Does David Cage think this is a thing that humans do? Why am I realising that this focus on infinitesimal detail is something I do when I write about games?

On whether I enjoyed it, I honestly don't know. Fahrenheit was at least ludicrous on all levels. Heavy Rain was a genuinely engaging story and was my first introduction to a game like this which I'll always remember. Beyond: Two Souls doesn't really have either of those. There's an engaging, interesting character in a ridiculous world who I never really felt was explored in an engaging, interesting way. Aside from that though, I can't honestly say the game was memorable at all. It was wild, but it felt a bit too polished and presented a bit too cleanly for me to really engage with it. My abiding memory of this game will be struggling to watch Ellen Page in various states of emotional turmoil. She was fantastic, but I didn't always enjoy it.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I got it after your earlier post about it. It's pretty good. As you said, it feels a bit like Papers, Please. I like that I can load it up when I have only 10-15 minutes and play just a day/turn or two. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yeah, I loved that some days only took a few minutes. It was great for when I had 5 minutes to kill I could just bang out a day real quick.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Superliminal - 6/10

I played this on Nintendo Switch during a long haul flight. It was just okay.
The game is very clearly inspired by Portal. You're in a facility, you progress by solving physics puzzles and the story is presented through voice overs. There's also a bit of a Stanley Parable vibe going on.

I really liked the perspective-based mechanics, and I think this game would be infinitely better if they just spent a bit more time fleshing out the puzzles and adding some more variety. Unfortunately, most of the solutions just ended up being "pick up small object - walk backwards until object is big - climb object to high up exit". The levels are quite small and in addition to elevators, there is a lot of walking down empty 'behind the scenes' corridors, of which very few contain puzzles themselves. What made me buy this game for the trip was the Switch launch trailer, which shows some of the best puzzles in the game. The downside of this is there isn't much else to the game, so it didn't feel like I encountered anything new or surprising in the game that pushed me to keep going. Additionally, outside of solving the puzzles directly there isn't much else you can do with the mechanics. Often you can only interact with the one or two objects required to solve the puzzle, leaving little room for ridiculous play. I think mechanics like these would be great in a more open sand-boxy environment, with a better balance between tight level design and player freedom to experiment.

I quite like the conclusion the game comes to at the end, but the writing it took to get there was pretty bland. Like in Portal, you start your dream therapy (as opposed to testing) relatively normally and then as you get deeper it starts to feel like the facility is falling apart around you, with the voice overs warning you that your chance of escape/waking up is getting slimmer and slimmer. There wasn't really anything to learn about the characters or the facility along the way, and the stakes never feel high even though the game tries hard to convince me so. So I just plodded along until I was done.

I think the devs bit off more than they could chew while trying to put a story in. Sure I'm not expecting a full on narrative, but in games like this you either have to nail it or leave it out all together. If this game wasn't busy trying to be therapy gone wrong, I think they could have built something that was a lot more fun to play.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Doom Eternal 7.5/10 - I was not as enthusiastic about this game as many others were, I was not crazy about the large increase in the jumping/parkour type stuff from the original Doom reboot, the game was certainly action packed and full of shooting, stabbing, punching, and explosions but towards the end it just felt like a chore that I had to slog through and finish

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Helltaker - 6/10

If you're trying this because the Steam rating is 98%, just know that a yes/no rating system doesn't equate to a rating. It's a pretty good puzzle game and it's free. There are also waifus. That's why it's rated so high. If this game was even $5, I'm sure it would be a lot lower.

That being said, it's pretty fun but I wouldn't call it a must play. If you want a puzzle game for free that'll take you an hour to beat, you might as well just try it out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally finished Grand Theft Auto IV. I guess that I would give it a 5/10. The open world-ness was a lot of fun, but the missions were a chore. If you like being told exactly where to go and what to do, this game (and, probably, any Rockstar game) is for you. I also skipped most of the cutscenes, which were just boring and stupid. Also, the combat is designed around a controller and just really wonky with a mouse. I stuck it out until the end, though, because, as I said, the open world is fun. I don't think that I'm going to bother with the Episodes From Liberty City DLC, though, because I'm glad to be done with it and finally able to move on to another game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
8664KWU.jpg

Titanfall 2 (PS4, 2016)

After my recent streak of playing several David Cage games in a row I fancied something different. It turned out that something different was Titanfall 2, an FPS where you can double jump, wall-run and enter a giant talking robot with several different types of mounted weapon.

You are Jack Cooper, a generic name for a generic character. He is a lowly soldier in the Militia who are defending their planet from the IMS... IMS? IMC? I don't think I remember. Whichever it is, they've discovered something called a Fold Weapon which lets them kill planets and that's bad, obviously. Cooper is training to be a Pilot, but after his Captain is killed he's thrown straight into his very own Titan, BT.

Let's cover the story quickly. Who cares. It's nonsense that I could barely follow as I was playing it, never mind playing it a second time, never mind with the Wikipedia page open next to me.

Let's cover the important part - the gameplay. There are lots of guns and grenades with different effects. While this can be good as it offers lots of variety, it can be annoying if you find something you like early on in a level then run out of ammo for it. The movement capabilities of the player offer something different for an FPS and again, this means you have a constantly varied experience as you go through levels, scanning the environment for different ways to play. I think the biggest problem here is that it doesn't always pair up well with the shooting. Your movement can be as fluid as you like, but if there are lots of enemies in a room you're not going to be able to hit them all while running along one stretch of wall. With the movement I was reminded a lot of Vanquish and its special movement mechanics, horizontal rather than vertical.

You'd think that jumping into the talking robot with lots of guns would be an even bigger thrill, but I found the Titan aspect of the game lacking. You go from wall-running and double jumping to plodding around, hoping that whatever you're shooting at dies before your shield runs out. Fighting bosses in Titans takes on an almost farcical quality with this in mind, as you have to hide behind objects in the environment waiting for them to reload before firing yourself. The combat in them just feels like an opportunity missed. You get a real sense of the mechanical nature of the titan movement, but this isn't a good thing.

After doing some reading I discovered that the levels and gameplay for Titanfall 2 were designed before the story was written. While this might explain the game's brevity and my inability to actually follow the story, it allows for constantly engaging gameplay elements and environmental set-pieces. The level where you can switch between two different periods of time, fighting people in the past then switching to the present to flank them, is brilliant. There's a real sense of vibrant creativity in a lot of the levels that poorer games would have dragged out until they'd lost their unique appeal. While the game can feel a bit overwhelming as a result, it's never dull.

I might have been a bit unfair when criticising the story. That shouldn't be taken to apply to the characters, specifically Jack and BT. Jack is... well, nothing, but BT's writing and the relationship between the two is much more natural and genuine than you'd expect from a futuristic FPS like this. There's a level of camaraderie that I've not seen in the genre since the glory days of Captain Price, Soap and Gaz, which is about as high as I can praise an FPS, or any kind of game.

Technically, the game doesn't really have any faults. The sound and the music are pretty good. The graphics are what you'd expect, though a lot of the early stages of the game were quite dark and hard to navigate. There's a multiplayer I dabbled in briefly which seems like it could be a lot of fun, but it's four years after release and I'm a busy man.

Aside from Tower of Guns which I finished and forgot to write up, this is the only FPS I've played since I got my PS4 nearly three years ago. I'd probably have more interest in the genre if more of them had the gameplay and writing Titanfall 2 does. You can really see why the fanbase for this series is as dedicated as it is.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Has anyone played “Ryse: Son of Rome”? It’s free on Game Pass and I forgot all about it since it was a X1 launch title and I still had the 360 at the time. Watched a trailer and the E3 gameplay demo and it looks pretty f***in cool. Excited to try it out tonight

I absolutely loved it. The combat is repetitive but the locations are stellar. I was able to get comfortable with the combat controls after a four or five hour play session. It was a breeze after that.

And I'm a sucker for revenge tales. I had to see it through to the bloody end. It took me probably two weeks of off and on playing to finish.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Songs for a Hero - 6/10

Songs for a Hero is an incredibly basic 2D platformer with one fun gimmick, the game's a musical that will sing what you're doing. It's pretty fun for the first couple hours but the gameplay is just so basic that it ends up feeling like it overstays its welcome. There are plenty of collectibles to be found in secret areas, some that will require a second playthrough when you unlock new abilities, as well as secret bosses. The boss fights are fairly enjoyable but overall, there are just a lot of great games out there that are more worthwhile for your time. This might be for you if you want a more casual game and truly appreciate the music in it but overall, I would say skip this one.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Gears of War 4
Developed by The Coalition

how-to-play-gears-of-war-4-horde-mode.jpg

I'll cut to the chase: this game played it safer than Alex Smith. Despite the great atmosphere and varied visual palette, I felt large chunks of the game were a chore to go through. The story never really gets going, and only by the end did I start to notice any character development. Also, the "twist" is one of the worst kept secrets I've seen in some time.

And that's the issue: it's almost four acts of small upticks amid large pools of boredom before it actually gets exciting. It's mostly tight gameplay cannot carry the weight for that length of time, and as such I can't really give it a proper recommendation.

Score: 5/10

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Fall Guys: 10/10. It's just wonderful, chaotic, stupid fun. It's what Mario Party tries to present itself as, only actually good and fun. My girlfriend is not a big videogame player. She watched me play a few games and then demanded the controller and a quick summary of the controls. This game isn't going to win many GOTY awards, but it's going to be on my personal list. It's a blast.

Ghosts of Tsushima: 6/10. I wanted to love this more than I did because I love the developer and I love the concept. But there's no soul here. It's honestly a very boring game to play, with neither the mechanics, nor the story doing much to give me cause to churn through the giant checklist of pointless side-quests they give me. This game made me appreciate the Assassin's Creed franchise all the more. It does so many of the same things, but makes those things feel so much more important and enjoyable.

The Last of Us 2: 8/10. From a pure craft perspective, this is one of the greatest games of all time. Unfortunately, it has to be directly compared to its predecessor and in several key ways, comes up short. The storyline simply isn't as engaging. I don't have a problem with the bold choices they made, I just didn't care about ANYBODY by the end of the game this time around. I would have been happy to see them all die. The stealth gameplay was improved, the actual combat wasnt, and the environmental design was, in my opinion, a clear step back. I'm glad I played it, but this was a sequel to a game that really didn't need a sequel.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes, Your Grace - 9/10

I saw a lot of people on hear talking about it and it seemed interesting, finished my first play through last night and was a little disappointed. It seemed like it could've been longer and was a little bit too straightforward. When I determined what kind of king I'd be, I just stuck with it as much as I could and got predictable outcomes most of the time. I'm curious how it is after subsequent runs or if I vary the decision making process more.

Did anyone have to use the banker at all? I just sent him away every single time.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Gears 5
Developed by The Coalition

Xbox-One-Gears-of-War-5-tech-test-1154576.jpg

I'm conflicted on this one. It's a massive step up from the its predecessor in terms of series innovations and overall storytelling, bringing the war back to the series despite dropping it from the title. I enjoyed the skiff sections as a way to break up the linearity the series is known for, along with the various climates it depicts. Most of the characters have pretty good character development, save for JD in the first half who goes from being the dude we played as from the first game to a prick back to old JD within a few appearances, almost as if portions of the game were cut out. The weirdest thing about Gears 5 is how it feels a touch short DESPITE being a longer game than 4, which felt like it went too long. This is both a good and bad thing, clearly a sign of a much better game but also one that feels a hair incomplete.

Either way, The Coalition succeeded in getting the series back on track. It's not a campaign worthy of the system seller status, but it does provide a shot in the arm for a franchise that really needed it.

Score: 7/10

Gears Franchise Rankings:

1. 2: 9/10
2. 3: 8/10
3. OG: 8/10
4. 5: 7/10
5. Judgment: 6/10
6. 4: 5/10

No bad games in the franchise, but definitely a staleness set in following the great GOW 3. I'm counting on a second trilogy cap off down the line, so hopefully The Coalition expands on the great ideas from 5 and hammer home a good finale.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Half Life: Alyx - 10/10

I've heard for years now that Valve didn't want to make another Half Life just to make another Half Life, it had to be revolutionary. The first two redefined shooters and it's been 16 years where they couldn't think of how to redefine shooters. This is it, this is how they revolutionize gaming, in VR. What an incredible experience through and through. The game's really linear but the exploration was incredible. Things like seeing an upside down bucket and thinking "There's probably a magazine under there," and you move it to find one, or often times, nothing. But it makes you turn every single thing to look for supplies. I have plenty of experience in VR shooters already so I played this on hard and I found myself really close to running out of ammo several times, really encouraging you to open every cabinet, moving every box, etc.

The environments were amazing. There really aren't any AAA VR games out there so I'm used to seeing games with janky animations or basic graphic models. This legit felt like I was truly in a world. The graphics were incredible, the animations were incredible, the way you interact with the world was incredible. Even the little details with the world, like you couldn't punch through glass but you can break it with your hand gun. You can poke out every shard of glass individually if you want to. If you have a gun in your hand, and slap a piece of glass with your backhand, it won't break because it was your hand making contact with the glass, not your gun. You can pick up buckets and put them on your head and a barnacle will grab the bucket instead of pulling you up. You had to pull each board off a door frame to break the barricades down. It may sound tedious but it's not at all since you get so immersed with the game.

The gunplay is fairly standard. If you've played VR shooters, you'll feel right at home. Playing on hard was still quite challenging. There's a decent amount of enemy variety between different types of head crabs, zombies, and combine soldiers. But every minute of this game is memorable. Games have felt very similar for a long time now. This is truly a unique experience and after years of being used to what to expect from games, I went in with a fresh mind. It's like I was a kid experiencing gaming for the first time again, something I never thought I'd experience again. The game's truly special and if anyone gets the opportunity to play it, you absolutely should. People say VR doesn't have a system seller, this is the system seller. There are plenty of great VR games and I find myself playing more VR than flat screen games these days as it is, VR's a great buy regardless. But if you want that one killer app, here it is, what are you waiting for?

Favorite part of the game:
I just want to mention my favorite moment of level design I've ever seen. There's a level where there's a blind zombie that you have to avoid, there are plenty of glass bottles because you're in a distillery. You have to lure him away as you progress through tight areas, duck in a corner and throw a bottle the other way as it passes you. There's a part in the level where you find a meat freezer and you can lock him in and you feel relieved as it'll instantly kill you if it reaches you. You get to lock him in and can start solving puzzles safely without having to worry about it. A couple minutes later, there's a wiring puzzle where you have to follow the wires and turn them to send an electrical feed to a switch to activate an elevator. You follow the wires to find that they go into the meat locker, you have to free it and be stressed out again as it's following you around, investigating every noise in the level. You feel like a genius for locking it in the meat freezer and then you're like "are you kidding me?" when you realize you have to let him out again and it was such a tense moment in game but thinking about it after the fact, was so cool and so well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
The last game I finished was Resident Evil 3 Remake... the night it came out... in one sitting... in less than 3 1/2 hours... my childhood died.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Biped - 8/10

Biped is a puzzle co-op game. It really requires 2 players. There is a solo mode although I haven't tried it. You will most certainly need a mic to play but you can grab it on Steam and a friend can connect via remote play. The mechanics require you to move each leg one at a time similar to games like Heave Ho so controls feel a bit clunky but that's part of the fun. The puzzles aren't overly challenging but the game is still fun. The main campaign is rather short at about 2-3 hours and there are some additional challenge levels. The challenge levels are fun and challenging but at times frustrating. They do require teamwork so don't play this game without a friend. If you are looking for a fun co op game, give it a go. I beat the campaign in a single sitting and enjoyed it all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad