The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Yoshi's Island
Nintendo, SNES
One of the most beautiful games ever. It still looks fantastic even 20 years after release. I have been playing this game since forever but actually never completed it until a few weeks back.

Favorite game of all time. Not the toughest game out there, but damn does it play smooth and still look good.

Did you go for the 100 percent? There's some pretty tough levels there. I only just beat "Poochie Ain't Stupid" for the first time like last year despite me beating the main game like 34 times. :laugh:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Journey

Living proof that great gameplay isn't everything. Style, atmosphere, great cinematic style, and most of all Co-Op

This game is not 1% as good without the coop, I actually reached the end but my partner got lost or fell, so I waited a full minute for him to catch up so we could cross the finish line together. Great experience

Bought this some time ago after I saw it was the highest rated game for PS4 on metacritic, didnt know it had co-op. Gonna hve to play it soon then =)

Favorite game of all time. Not the toughest game out there, but damn does it play smooth and still look good.

Did you go for the 100 percent? There's some pretty tough levels there. I only just beat "Poochie Ain't Stupid" for the first time like last year despite me beating the main game like 34 times. :laugh:

I have almost 100% it before but lost my savefile due to kids doing their thing :laugh: So I just beat it this time around...

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I want this game so badly on my 3DS. It's up there as one of my favourite games as well.
So dumb that only ambassadors can download it off the e-Shop for 3DS users. ****ing hate the ambassador program because of it :laugh:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Bought this some time ago after I saw it was the highest rated game for PS4 on metacritic, didnt know it had co-op. Gonna hve to play it soon then =)

The game automatically connects you to other players, you just have to be online

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Journey is an absolutely essential experience.

vessel-turbine-6.png

Vessel (PS3, 2012)

Vessel is a puzzle game in which you use various liquids to create different types of life-forms, Fluros, to move switches and press buttons and generally advance you through the game. I was reluctant to include a further adjective before calling it a puzzle game there because the usual sorts of descriptors of puzzle games - quirky, challenging, atmospheric, and so on - don't really apply. You are a scientist of some sort whose experiments with liquids and... other stuff has created these somewhat sentient beings. In progressing through the game and learning about them you get to manipulate more of them in different ways.

As a puzzle game mechanic it's a pretty good one. You have the five liquids to control which react differently with one another, you have five different seeds which all do different things and the resultant amount of varieties offer good variation in the gameplay. It's not a case of moving the same stuff around different levels, it's different stuff around different levels. For the most part too, it's all intuitive. There's very few sections where you resign yourself to looking at youtube only to be utterly disgusted at a solution which contradicts all logic you've been applying so far. When this happens it's very bad. Very frustrating and while I personally am terrible at these sorts of things the ones I had to look up did make me question how they could have included certain solutions. Some puzzle games (The Swapper comes to mind) make me chastise myself for not being able to see or work out the solution, this didn't. There's some other aspects which are really unintuitive. You can upgrade the thing which shoots your liquids by using a convoluted machine which takes as much time to work out the use of as the purpose.

Sadly, the seeming disconnect extends beyond the gameplay. This game is dark. I mean very dark. Considering the majority of the game is played in a factory background and a mine background the lighting is really distracting. Trying to be precise with your liquids or traversing the few platforming sections seems unnecessarily difficult. Other technical issues are the most distracting aspects of the game, as the extremely repetitive music for each level grates. A lot. As for sound, when you're in the factory and jump against a ledge above you there's a dull metallic thud. When you're in the orchard and jump against a tree branch there's a dull metallic thud. That did make me laugh but it's not something that should be there. When there is colour and detail in the level designs the game can look good. It's a steampunk-y type setting with the machines you interact with. This goes some way to creating an atmosphere but the game's too short and puzzle-centric (as it should be) to be truly distinctive, which I suppose is a shame. I think what annoys me the most about the setting and the unintuitive nature of some of the game is how it never seems to think this is a problem. You get the game and the story sort of half-explained to you as you progress through some journal entries marvelling at how these Fluros are behaving like real creatures but it feels tootacked on to be profound.

So: mechanics and gameplay good, packaging near universally awful. I think the former wins out eventually but it's not an especially memorable experience.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Datura-Controls.jpg

Datura (PS3, 2012)

Usually when I post pictures here with games I look for one which was representative of part or the whole of my experience with the game. I did not play this with the Move controls, but the image of a disembodied on-screen hand with the real-life controlling version was too hilarious to pass up. There also seems to be one of someone with a headset on playing it while a bowling shirt fails to hide his gut, that's quite funny.

Datura is a... well, it's a game. I suppose. Technically. You wake up in an ambulance, you pull some wires off you, someone with no training in defibrillator use tries to kill you, there's a quote from Dante on screen and you're in a forest. This disembodied hand in front of you interacting with various things. You encounter eight little mini-games of sorts in which you make choices, some informed, some deliberate, some not which influence the sort of ending you get.

To go into more detail is to spoil the (still very short) experience, so I won't. Hell I had no idea what the deal was when I went in so I had no idea I was making choices until I was about halfway through them. In 2008 the people that made this game made what's best described as an interactive demo called Linger in Shadows which... well, watch it on youtube. I got the same sort of vibe from this game before I realised who had made it. It's a bit surreal. It's uncertain. The music's very good. The music is very good actually.

There's not much else I can describe without ruining the game. The sixaxis controls are really bad for a lot of the things you need to use them for. Very frustrating. It spoils what immersion there is. The ending is dependent on what you've done in the game but the lack of control over what you do spoils any sense of consequence of responsibility. So too does the fact that my game ended with a mirror that had my PSN name and avatar coming into view in an apparent attempt to guilt-trip me for what I'd done. Apparently you should play it with a camera plugged in.

As 'walking simulators' go as this has been derisively named since it was a PS+ game for this month it's good. It's better than some others there have been. It's very atmospheric even though it's very short. It's let down by the fuzziness of its controls but although the end payoff isn't as competently realised as perhaps it could be, there is something worth thinking about afterwards.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
8-Bit Hordes

I didn't beat it, but I wanted to post my thoughts anyway. :laugh:

I played 8-Bit Armies awhile back and found it amusing for a couple hours. The mini C&C clone with a Frank Klepacki soundtrack was at least interesting.

This one came with a 67% off coupon, so I figured I'd check out what they have this time around.

I have to say I'm disappointed. This feels like a mod for the first one, to the point where your "mining carts" still get oil from an oil pump that magically turns into gold when they leave?

I can't recommend this to anyone, even at the $5 (post-coupon) asking price.

...and speaking of strategy games I can't recommend:

Ashes of the Singularity

I didn't finish this one either, as I found it got very boring after a few hours.

It looks fantastic, and has some neat similarities to the classic that is Supreme Commander, but it feels very shallow gameplay wise.

I'm throwing this one on the pile of modern RTS games I'm disappointed with.

On the bright side, it's a fantastic DX12 benchmarking utility! :)

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Not a small pile.

Indeed.

I've enjoyed the new StarCraft games, and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion remains my top played Steam game (due in no small part to the length that matches take :laugh:) so I can't complain too hard, but overall it's been a depressing time for RTS games.

I still have Company of Heroes 2 in my library to try out.

Other than that, I really, really hope Dawn of War III is good. It looks fantastic, and Dawn of War II was great.

I'm still pissed that EA teased me by saying BioWare was reviving Command and Conquer, and then ****-canned the project. I'm not surprised considering C&C4 was clearly a malicious (and successful) attempt by EA to kill the franchise - I refuse to believe anybody could have honestly thought that was a good idea.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander 7/10

Despite my vow to make a dent in my backlog before the end of the year, I was too tempted by the concept of this game.

Thematically, this is a sci-fi parody game; it particularly parodies Star Trek, which means I'm a sucker for it. :laugh:

Essentially, you are the commander of a starbase on the edge of Terran Federation space when a mysterious alien invasion wipes out pretty much everything except you.

Game play wise, you have starbase management which is akin to a mobile management game, but minus the infuriating mobile mechanics like "energy" and such.

You also have space ship and ground combat which is done in a fairly simplistic but entertaining turn-based RPG style. It also has a very good soundtrack in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the combat did get very grindy the further you get into the game (likely due to a limited number of abilities and combinations), but it was definitely fun for a while.

The other problem I have with this game lies in the third aspect of game play, which is the diplomacy. I thought it was really cool when I first started playing, but I quickly realized how shallow it was. A real shame, as they have created some very intriguing parody races, and I feel a well done diplomacy system would have really helped push this from a good game to a great one.

They also have random Star Trek-esque events and anomalies that (sometimes) require choices on your part to deal with....however, like diplomacy, this felt very undercooked and simple. Again, it's a shame, as it is a very cool concept.

All in all, a pretty good purchase for $20 or less, if this type of game interests you.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1558426-605345_20100823_007.jpg

Hoard (PS3, 2010)

Hoard is a top-down action & strategy type thing in which you are a dragon who has to collect gold to win. Over the course of ten minute matches you compete either against the clock or other dragons to collect the most gold. You do all the things dragons do: you burn down towns, you kidnap princesses, you burn down in fact you burn down everything. You burn down other dragons. Everything drops gold and you have get as much of it as you can before the time is up.

Now that the gameplay is out of the way what is it like to actually play? Well, it's fun. It's the sort of delightfully simple game that you can pick up in five minutes and then hate the guts of ten hours later because you haven't stopped playing it and you're still not quite as good as you know you should be. There's four game modes, Treasure which is just a straight fight to collect as much gold as you can, Princess Rush in which the focus is kidnapping princesses, Hoard which is a survival mode and co-op, which is effectively Treasure but with some help and no competition, so the scores you need to reach are higher. Over the course of these game modes there's a good amount of maps and variety therein to keep the interest levels up. The strategy in each of them ultimately boils down to the same thing - don't get hit and get as much as you can - but at least the thresholds for getting a bronze/silver/gold ranking on each map are quite challenging. This offers something of actual strategy to things as you have to manage the things on the map which produce gold differently from map to map.

Sadly the variety doesn't really last for very long. Once you've played through all of them that's pretty much it. And while it's fun to play and try to beat all the high scores you will be infuriated in equal measure. The AI is equal parts ruthless and clueless. They'll always burn you and always manage to do it. Once you run out of health you have to go back to your Hoard to heal, and crucially if you're going for a high score you lose your score multiplier. The frustration when this happens, oh, it's unbelievable. Elsewhere, the towns you can see in that picture can be damaged and made to 'fear' you. When this happens they send out carts of gold directly to you. When playing against the AI, rather than try to then steal these towns for themselves their first priority always seems to be to destroy it. I realise that complaining about the game trying to limit the amount of points you score might sound contradictory but the focus which goes into this seems disproportionate to me.

There isn't much more to gameplay variety than what I've mentioned already. There are power-ups to go along with being able to upgrade your Dragon on a match-to-match basis but these always seem just slightly underwhelming. To briefly be able to shoot fireballs or have fully upgraded speed/fire, yeah it's great fun, but it doesn't give you much of an advantage. Maybe it's to keep things on a more even playing field, I don't know, but this coupled with the ten minute limit always seems to make battles be really sluggish for the first half and then completely manic for the second, often ending just before you feel you're really effective and successful. Having a look at the Steam version of this game it seems there's more maps and features which could alleviate some of these complaints but then I'm not playing it on PC.

I think for all the potential Hoard has to be something you could play obsessively and constantly it's let down in this instance by being too shallow. Being able to play against actual people could make a difference, but the amount of rage you would feel towards people sat next to you when they steal your gold and cost you your multiplier probably wouldn't be worth it. As fun as this was for a time, it doesn't last. And that feels like a shame rather than a relief.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Fire Emblem, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Fire_Emblem_Radiant_Dawn_Box_Art.jpg
Fire_Emblem_PoR_Boxart.JPG

Really good (two) games, I've always been a casual fire emblem player, but I've been playing these two games for a few years. I've finally got the hang of the support systems. You can breeze through the game on hard mode if you develop the right supports. Makes leveling up much easier.

However, Deghinsea, one of the final bosses in Radiant Dawn, is INSANELY difficulty. You basically have to plan out a way of beating him in one turn unless you are willing to sacrifice a few characters to take him down. The game gives you several overpowered characters for this final area, but I honestly thought I could pick them up later so I just used my regular (nearly maxed out) characters. Do not do that. Theres a huge difficulty spike later in the final area and if you dont take them guess what? You've already saved by then and you're totally screwed.

I picked the overpowered characters the first time I played this game but I just forgot.

In hindsight, I'm not sure if it's good or bad game design that you can have your characters pretty much maxed out, at they still won't be half as good as those end of game characters. I suppose it makes sense story wise but still.

Edit: Also, playing on an emulator, the OCD in me wants to reset or load a state save everytime I'm killed. If you're gonna play this game my advice is to just let it go. Theres plenty of characters you can use honestly.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Bastion

Finally got around to playing this gem in my continuing feeble attempts to work through my Steam backlog.

It's quite short and has fairly generic game play, but the art style and soundtrack are beyond phenomenal. I also particularly enjoyed the interesting narration.

A solid 8/10 from me.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Mad-Riders_03.jpg

Mad Riders (PS3, 2012)

Before I started subscribing to PlayStation Plus I used to regularly peruse the PSN Store every week to see what new demos were released. It added some variety to my gaming and led to far too many ill-considered purchases purely for the sake of trophies, the majority of which I ended up only seriously worked on years later. One of the last demos I ever downloaded was for what appeared to be a budget version of Motorstorm called Mad Riders. I remember thinking 'I'll not bother deleting this in case I get it free now with this new thing I'm doing." Well, here we are. Four years later. Oh, how things change.

I don't remember anything of that demo playing experience save for driving on a track which had lots of steep inclines/descents. And hey, so it remains. It's a quad bike racing game (well, an ATV racing game since there are buggies too) with a boost gauge. You get boost by doing stunts. There's an assortment of game modes which all involve driving round a course as quickly as possible, which is aided by doing stunts. You can of course take this online, where it's more of the same.

Gameplay-wise, well, it's... interesting. A review quoted on Wikipedia describes the handling (you can slide round corners, naturally) as being akin to socks on a recently polished floor and really, it's right. It's not a long game. Not much under ten hours and I've finished everything on offer and more (DLC included). I'm still not really used to the handling. There seems to be an inordinate focus on trying to do everything at maximum speed, but it's impossible to go round most corners like this. And when you fail and go off the course on a jump you get respawned past it anyway, I feel sometimes as if it would be quicker on certain occasions to just throw yourself off the road. And on that note, the thresholds for failing and being respawned feel really arbitrary at points too. If you launch off a ramp at speed there's a good chance you'll end up veering away from the ground as you move to land. If you're trying to throw in some stunts too you'll end up crashing most of the time. I should supplement this by saying that I was very good at the game regardless. I won every single-player race and think I lost about two races online, winning most of them by 20+ seconds. But that in itself just shows that my problems with the controls were apparently shared by others. And on that note, winning races by that sort of margin driving a hot pink quad dressed as a gorilla in a hat and shades - that's a feeling that's worth your time. Oh, that's good. Doing it when you're up against a guy on mic swearing as he keeps driving into walls, that's better.

As far as everything else goes there's not much else to the game. There's a decent amount of tracks but most of them are from a couple of base maps with different circuits to run. Seeing the same surroundings and driving through the different elements of the same track gets really repetitive in what is a short game. Even the DLC tracks added take place in the same maps and don't feel any different. I don't know if existing games like the Motorstorms precluded this game from being any more substantive but it isn't much more than a time killer for a couple of days when it's a concept which you feel could have been greater had they spent more time on it. I'm glad I got to play it, eventually, though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
maxresdefault.jpg

Driver (PS1, 1999)

Around this time last year I posted about Driver 2. A game which formed a central part of my gaming childhood and which, however many years later, stood as a testament to a bygone age of game concepts, where a game with an open world and lots of cars could be centred purely around the car without including on-foot sections to the extent to which they're popular nowadays. Well, here's a game with no out of vehicle sections at all. The original. And it's just too old for me to think of it truly fondly.

You are Tanner, a police officer who goes undercover as a driver to do... something. In a gang. And you do jobs for... people. In gangs. Or is it the mafia. Either way you end up driving the President across New York while the police, the FBI and gang members are trying to run you off the road so that's something. I have no idea what the story in this game is because it's so old and the cutscenes are so terrible. All the people are shadowy figures with no details and voices that sound like impressions of a C-rate version of Bullitt. I don't know who anyone is. or why I do anything. You have a hotel room in every city where you can get jobs on your answering machine, but you don't know why you pick any of them. I feel as if this would be a good game to have a modern remake. An actual remake though. The same game, or at least the majority of the same game but with completely new graphics, cutscenes, acting, maybe even new/updated maps. I don't want to try and sully what is a classic game by saying it needs to be updated to still be good but as it stands, it's all pretty similar. Very little difference between missions. And the cutscenes, well, an update of those would stop you driving up to Grand Central in New York in the dark and rain to see a cutscene of two people outside in blue skies and sunshine having a conversation.

The driving is still near enough perfect, even 17 years later. The perfect blend between arcade and realism. Really has a capacity for the cinematic too, you can do huge slides with ease and there's a greater scope for precision when you do it than you might think. Of course, the AI of every other car on the road is moronic and the film director controls are unusable, but as you're playing and you have the music in the background, it's every 80s car chase film you've ever seen. Whether it's in missions or free driving, or in any of the many driving games you can play every drive will be different, everyone will be fun.

Aside from the technological deficiencies the only other thing I could criticise is the length. Very short, and the repetitiveness doesn't help with that feeling. I think it's nice to play old games like this to see where games have been and where they've gone. You can be thankful for some of the progress that's been made but remember why you started liking them in the first place.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Watch Dogs - 8/10

I know it didn't live up to the insane hype it had, but I still really enjoyed the game. With the second one coming out, I wanted to finish this one, and I'm glad I did. It wasn't groundbreaking but I enjoyed it a lot. I'm interested to see how the second one is because there's a good base to build on here.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Doom
ID Software, PS4

My first ever FPS game I beat on console. I have always been dissapointed with FPS on console but I did find this game for real cheap some time ago. And damn, this is a masterpiece. I didnt even suffer by playing it on console. Loved the action, the brutality and how fluid it was.

One of the best of the generation. Only games I have beaten this year I rank higher are: TLOU, Tropical Freeze,XCX and Rayman Legends but that's it. Love this.

8.9/10

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Mad Max - 8/10

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews but most of them said the game felt repetitive. I didn't really do any side stuff, I just went through the story and it didn't feel too repetitive. I loved the car combat, the story was pretty much what I expected out of a Mad Max game. Overall, it was a pretty fun game, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the movie. It's probably the best movie game I've ever played.

Also, it runs like a dream on PC. 1440p, all ultra settings, and my machine pretty much always had it at 120+fps. Felt so nice, and it looks great too!

maxresdefault.jpg

Driver (PS1, 1999)

Around this time last year I posted about Driver 2. A game which formed a central part of my gaming childhood and which, however many years later, stood as a testament to a bygone age of game concepts, where a game with an open world and lots of cars could be centred purely around the car without including on-foot sections to the extent to which they're popular nowadays. Well, here's a game with no out of vehicle sections at all. The original. And it's just too old for me to think of it truly fondly.

You are Tanner, a police officer who goes undercover as a driver to do... something. In a gang. And you do jobs for... people. In gangs. Or is it the mafia. Either way you end up driving the President across New York while the police, the FBI and gang members are trying to run you off the road so that's something. I have no idea what the story in this game is because it's so old and the cutscenes are so terrible. All the people are shadowy figures with no details and voices that sound like impressions of a C-rate version of Bullitt. I don't know who anyone is. or why I do anything. You have a hotel room in every city where you can get jobs on your answering machine, but you don't know why you pick any of them. I feel as if this would be a good game to have a modern remake. An actual remake though. The same game, or at least the majority of the same game but with completely new graphics, cutscenes, acting, maybe even new/updated maps. I don't want to try and sully what is a classic game by saying it needs to be updated to still be good but as it stands, it's all pretty similar. Very little difference between missions. And the cutscenes, well, an update of those would stop you driving up to Grand Central in New York in the dark and rain to see a cutscene of two people outside in blue skies and sunshine having a conversation.

The driving is still near enough perfect, even 17 years later. The perfect blend between arcade and realism. Really has a capacity for the cinematic too, you can do huge slides with ease and there's a greater scope for precision when you do it than you might think. Of course, the AI of every other car on the road is moronic and the film director controls are unusable, but as you're playing and you have the music in the background, it's every 80s car chase film you've ever seen. Whether it's in missions or free driving, or in any of the many driving games you can play every drive will be different, everyone will be fun.

Aside from the technological deficiencies the only other thing I could criticise is the length. Very short, and the repetitiveness doesn't help with that feeling. I think it's nice to play old games like this to see where games have been and where they've gone. You can be thankful for some of the progress that's been made but remember why you started liking them in the first place.

I loved the Driver games. The original was my favorite and I loved running from the cops in that game more than any other game. One thing I thought was really cool (at least, if I remember correctly) was the cops only know where you are if they see you go there. Unlike pretty much any other modern open world game like that, cops magically know where you are if you're just in the area, even if you're hidden in an alley.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Going to make a long post here - because I haven't rated games in a while:

yW7RmQu1.jpg

Batman - Arkham Knight (PS4/XB1)

Really great game. Seriously. Just great stuff, especially if you're a fan of Batman and the canon of it all. Great story, good pacing, big city to take your time with side missions and of course every moment makes you feel like the biggest badass on Earth.

Arkham Knight reveal was actually shocking, and a lot of the story hits you in the feels which previous games didn't have. Just a really well told story and of course Rocksteady with a Batman game is perfection.

Only gripes are the insistence on the Batmobile, while it's a total badass weapon - nobody plays these games for tank combat. And there are times it feels impossible to tank battle or do Riddler trials. Yet the Batmobile is a sick vehicle in a game that doesn't need one. Once you second nature it's controls it's possibly the best vehicle in video game history - but you don't want it. You want to fight people face to face.

9.5/10

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
nhl17-coins_80603.jpg

NHL 17 (PS4/XB1)

Not sure how to review the game that was the same as the year before and before that, and before that. Except they took out NHL Moments but added your ability to set vendor prices in GM Mode - for the first time since NHL 2001 on PS1!!!.

I know there is a solid base of people that love these games but are already too young to remember when this series was actually good. Ramajasingh and Co. took over in 2008 which ironically was the last great NHL game - and now we have people who are 18 that started playing NHL games around that time or in 2009 that don't really realize what a good sports game is.

It's not stupid AI. Terrible ratings of every player that really doesn't matter because the separation is 83-85 from fourth line to first line. No realism in game play.

Everyone will say "but budget!!" Yeah they don't have NBA 2k budget but they made more than MLB the Show year in and out for the last 5 years, by double. Yet MLB the Show is the best sports game on the market.

2/10

They use the same Cup Celebration from NHL 2007 FFS!

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
large.jpg

LEGO Dimensions - (XB1/PS4)

What a great game. It's everything Disney Infinity intended to be times a hundred.

It's your basic Lego Game but you get real life Lego figures to put together and place on a portal to get them in the world. Every level is some different property mixed with the characters you're using. Which adds to a lot of nostalgia and laughs as a parent as you play the game with your kid. I was wide eyed when we went into the Wizard of Oz world to start to the Simpsons world. And then some different ones that meant nothing to me.

Voice acting great - got Will Arnett to be Lego Movie Batman and Troy Baker to be normal Batman "Who's this clown wearing my suit, whatever, you seem cool enough let's go!"
Or Batman to Wizard of Oz Scarecrow - "I have my eye on you Scarecrow and by eye I mean fist"
Batman to Marty McFly "Can you go back in time and save my parents?"
gladOs to Superman "Cake is a lie but you can have some for cheating"
Aquaman "Aquaman, Aquaman, nobody cares about Aquaman"

But when we got to things like Portal and I heard gladOs' voice got chills, then Ghostbusters, then Back to the Future. And introduces my kid into things we loved.

I think my only complaint is the reliance on having to switch characters on the portal so much. To make colours and hop into portals. You never get to just sit back and relax - which my 4 year old said. He just wants to play Lego Batman because he doesn't have to move people. And makes sense because it's ****ing all the time.

And I honestly wonder what you could do if you lost one person. There's certain parts that are specific to Gandalf or Wyldstyle - and if you don't have them you can't move on. I had to search under the TV stand to find that damn wizard when my kid and niece were playing because they were done if not. Not enough characters to do everything.

Also totally locked down areas due to having to buy new people. I have no interest in Doctor Who or the Midway Arcade packs. Yet there's parts of the games you can't access without them - pay to play.

The best LEGO game ever made. Bar none.

9/10

Would be a 10/10 if there wasn't so much under pay to access areas and no replacements if you lose Gandalf or Wildstyle.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
maxresdefault.jpg

LEGO Marvel Avengers (PS4/XB1)

Another LEGO game. And its the same basic idea of the past ones. Play the story, free play, unlock stuff and unlock more stuff.

250 different characters to unlock which is awesome.

The polish of this LEGO game is on point. Everything the movies had, with some LEGO hilarity added in. Great game to play with your kids. Some of the animations and scenes are insane just really good, not really good but amazing how they can recreate them in a LEGO world to span movies from Avengers to the sequel to Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Civil War, etc. It's all covered.

And when you can be the Hulkbuster for the first time but have to fight Hulk, not easy but so satisfying in every way. Same with the Captain America vs. Bucky (Winter Soldier) fight.

Gold bricks have no use except for percentage towards completion which is disappointing after Lego Marvel Superheroes and Lego Batman games. They also need to bring back the invincible hearts red brick because when your trying to clean something up and "die" it's really annoying. Too long of an animation to get back in the action.

But such a great game and packed with value.

9/10

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Screenshot-of-MLB-The-Show-16-Featured-681x384.jpg

MLB The Show 16

Really so much to say about this game, that a review feels best left by saying little about it. The game is sports perfection. Every mode. Every last one of them. From franchise to Road to the Show to online drop ins to Diamond Dynasty to the modes in DD. It's all so well thought out and perfect.

I can never explain how good the game is. Imagine NHL where every player mattered and played to their potential. A game that had online coop franchise. A game that had All star skills competitions. GM modes that lasted 30 years and every trade was and draft, contract, etc was realistic.

Then you go to online HUT/Diamond Dynasty - you can create your own logo, jerseys, you can unlock a legend from every team by playing the game not paying for them. You can have an actual market. You can create your own player for your team to play along side your lineup. And feed them cards you don't want to jack up their stats. And you can play it vs. friends. And play a RISK mode for free legends and players and packs and coins to spend.

After every game you play in any mode you are awarded a card of a player.

Where your skill actually decides who wins games. There are hard core MLB players who buy monitors for their PS4 with certain FPS so they can time pitches within 1/100 of a millisecond.And the game is that good that it can matter. Animations for 500 real life pitchers, 1000 hitters.

A system where Inside Edge will rate players based on their past week performance and upcoming performance vs. a series. If a rookie goes nuts like Laine he would be a 89 overall right now due to Inside Edge, and if kept it up to 90 as a Diamond player in the league. Diamond players can be knocked down. 50 overall players can become 75-80. Brandon Belt went from 77-85 which was a huge jump in MLB ratings. ****** players are 50, average 60s, above average 70s, good players 80s and superstars 90s.

Just a perfect sports game.

10/10

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
ddthumb_large.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PS3, 2013)

The first video game I ever remember playing isn't Aladdin for the SNES. It was some golf-type thing where you had to hit a bunch of stuff flying in front of you. You got varying amounts of points for hitting different targets. The reason I mentioned Aladdin prior to this is that both of these took place at my next door neighbour's. Since I was five years old I've no idea how timelines went but the following Christmas I got a SNES with a lot of games and that Aladdin was in there. I never finished it. I never got close, because I was five years old. Or six, probably. My co-ordination and my intelligence at that time weren't really all there. I had no idea what I was doing, essentially. A similar phenomena is responsible for my being a Colorado Avalanche fan, not knowing what I was doing when I got NHL 2001 I started a season mode in command of about half the teams. First one was Colorado and that was that. I've since watched video of Aladdin on youtube and hey, the levels beyond my limit were even harder. No chance! If I thought my SNES would still play it I'd play it next and try and make this review make sense later on. A few years ago I actually managed to finish Super Mario Brothers so it's probably possible.

The thing is, Aladdin is a good game. It was reviewed very well. In terms of platforming as far as I can remember it's pretty well-polished. Great movement around the levels with these things sticking out the wall you can swing around on to move on to different buildings. Very vivid level design too and great music. If you like the film you'd probably enjoy the game. Of all the things comprising this game from 1992 there's none I can reasonably find fault with, thinking about it now. It might be different if I played but like Driver above and the original Gran Turismo if I'm ever to finish playing it as I technically am now, I think I'd be able to find excuses for it. For any technical limitations, well, it's of its time. For any gameplay anachronisms, well, they were different back then. For proof of this see assorted trophy hunting websites bemoaning the quality of remasters like the Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper series, seeing an easy target and hating something released ten years ago which to me holds up perfectly fine. ****ing kids. Who ever let them play video games and judge what direction they should go in? Oh, hey, Oscar, is that Marvel picture from your own toys? I can imagine playing the game then making the same sets with your kids to be very rewarding.

Chronicles of Mystara is a collection of two games from... oh, I'm not looking it up again, I think 1993 and 1995. They're a bit shinier and they're packaged together in one but, aside from those, it seems everything is as it was back in the day. Therein lies the problem. Usually when I write one of these posts I - in between bouts of procrastination which I have so far been immune to - have a vague idea of an order of things I want to say, put everything down in a different order anyway because I type stuff as it comes to me then when I've hit post I think of what I had really wanted to say the most. With that in mind, I suppose I should describe the game. An assortment of fantasy-based (as an aside, I don't know what Dungeons & Dragons is save for the butt of jokes about nerds) characters go through levels fighting monsters. Tower of Doom and sequel Shadow Over Mystara have what you would expect from such a game. Some malicious individual is threatening the land, only our ragtag bunch of heroes can stop it. Great! Every character is somewhat unique in terms of their attacks. There's a range of weapons each character can equip and those who can use magic are the ones who add some genuine variety in gameplay. Mainly because you don't need to try and hit enemies, just press the button to do a spell and kill them without contact. Easy. And about the only tolerable thing the game has going for it. As an up to 4 player co-op game I think having four different types combining at once could make the game a lot more fun. But then, that's not why I play video games.

Moving around isn't very easy. I'm glad I didn't have to grow up in a world without joysticks. Using buttons for continuous, multi-directional movement is a terrible idea. It just doesn't work. So here is a game where moving around - sort of useful when you have multiple enemies on screen at once from every direction trying to attack you - is furry. That's the best thing to describe it. Vague. Imprecise. Deliberately obstructive. Never mind, surely the combat makes up for it. Well, no. I said there's a range of weapons. Some weapons are better suited for different enemies, the RPG element of the game sees to that. Except it doesn't make a difference. Hitting any enemy with any weapon, with about two exceptions, will damage it. Continuing to do this will continue damaging it. Doing it for long enough will defeat an enemy. That's the game. That's all the game. But surely playing the game yourself with so many enemies means it's hard to stay alive in battles, to get through a level without being reset to the start as you always did back in the day? If you die you can continue in classic arcade fashion. Straight back into the action. With a bit less HP in all present enemies. So you can play - and beat - the game without attacking anything. Save for one hit to finish bosses off. Struggling to grind down enemies constantly while fighting an obtuse control system is all the game has, yet there is no penalty for failing at it. Anywhere.

The other aspect of a game aging is how it treats its menus and interfaces. A simple port of a game is fine. When you play enough PS2 remasters you eventually remember that it used to be triangle to go back in a menu, not circle. Here though, annoying choices get kept in, and clowns who liked this thing because it was all mummy would buy them when they were a kid lap it up. If you pause the game and go to Controls the four buttons do different things. Jump, Attack, Cycle, Use. The latter two are for your assortment of thrown weapons/magic/other artefacts you can pick up from enemies. Pressing Cycle goes through all of them, but, if you press Cycle to bring up the current options then press the Jump button you get a different selection. You in fact get several. I discovered this by accident. I had no idea how I did it. The game doesn't mention anywhere that a feature like this is a thing, and it's something that fans lap up. The same with its attempts at stories and lore. There's a trophy in the game for collecting every treasure there is (ie every item/droppable you can pick up) and there's two weapons that you can get in one specific shop. They're on the wall behind the table with the other purchasables on them and you have to move a floating hand over them and press select enough times to make them available for purchase. One gamefaqs thread I found had someone on it saying "I love that the game is filled with secrets like this." Why? Why is this good? Why is something so old, so anachronistic, so wildly irritating praised now? It's bad. The assorted secret sections of levels, walking into walls to find hidden rooms, it's bad. It's obtuse. It's deliberately misleading beyond the point of reasonable curiosity.

Same thing goes for equipment. There's weapons, armour and other collectibles that you can equip to improve various factors like speed, attack, so on. Absolutely no explanation anywhere telling you how to do it. You equip whatever you find. And, much like those attacks I mentioned earlier, none of it makes any difference. Every now and then you find some shoes that make you move quicker, then you get hit twice and they get destroyed. Gone forever. And they're all basically the same as the attacks I mentioned earlier anyway. The difference they make is so miniscule you won't notice anything that happens as the game goes on. Likewise, your characters can level up - somehow - and it makes no discernible effect on gameplay. You don't kill enemies any easier, your health doesn't last any longer. But hey, that doesn't matter since attrition can take everything down anyway. And here's another thing, playing through Shadows Over Mystara (which is longer) the first time, I probably died 30-50 times. How tedious do you think it is playing a game where you can be killed so easily but in which you don't fail by being killed? Those 30-50 restarts take up about an hour and a half of playing. I can't overstate how irritating this gets, and how quickly it does. It's an experience you can only appreciate after going through it yourself, but I wouldn't let you.

I mentioned.... somewhere that usually I finish these and then remember the thing I wanted to say the most once I'd hit post. Since it's past 1AM I doubt I'll be doing that now even if there was something but the only other thing I could add is that with all these horrific aspects of gameplay the game actually tries to take itself seriously, which is probably the worst part. Defeating the final boss, while hard because of how powerful it is, isn't an achievement. I was going to do it anyway, the same way I've done everything throughout the game up to this point. Your story is garbage, the attempts at conveying this through the assorted terrible on screen messages and pictures (hey, I especially love the fact that there's time limits when you're in stores or deciding on a path to take) are not profound, insightful or immersive. There are games which age will and games which do and while the two can contain similar positives and negatives, most of the time something which is good and charming in one game will be rage-inducing in another. Maybe if I'd endlessly watched a Disney film about killing dragons when I was 7 I wouldn't feel so aggrieved at ~13 hours of my life being sunk into this travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad