The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
KOTOR 2's story and writing is phenomenal but only works if you actively like Star Wars.

Keep in mind it was developed by a completely different company.

Technically it's more of a mess than KOTOR 1 though maybe not with the fan patches.

KOTOR 1 is overrated but it's not 3/10 bad. If you don't like dice rolls in combat you probably don't like traditional RPGs very much. Though KOTORs combat is not particularly a good example of it either. Lacks for tactical positioning for one thing.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How much better could KOTOR 2 even be? 2 was released less than 1.5 years later. I feel like there's no way they could have made major improvements in that little time considering all the other work between story and level design is needed.

The story and characters are way better. Everything else is the same.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
How much better could KOTOR 2 even be? 2 was released less than 1.5 years later. I feel like there's no way they could have made major improvements in that little time considering all the other work between story and level design is needed.

It plays almost identically, but the story line and characters are some of the most interesting in...well, ever really.

The only real technical improvement over the first is support for modern resolutions and a bit of stability patching put in in recent years (but it's still buggy as all hell).

It's one of my favourite games, but judging by what you criticized in the first one? Don't play the second. :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
KOTOR 2's story and writing is phenomenal but only works if you actively like Star Wars.

Keep in mind it was developed by a completely different company.

Technically it's more of a mess than KOTOR 1 though maybe not with the fan patches.

KOTOR 1 is overrated but it's not 3/10 bad. If you don't like dice rolls in combat you probably don't like traditional RPGs very much. Though KOTORs combat is not particularly a good example of it either. Lacks for tactical positioning for one thing.

It's not that I don't like dice rolls in combat but like you said, KOTOR isn't even a good example of it. I'd rather have an old school turn based system like the original Final Fantasy games. I feel like the only reason to make the combat be real time was to be cinematic or something but then they also force you to pause a lot, it didn't really make much sense from a design standpoint for me.

Judging by the posts about KOTOR 2, maybe I'll follow mine and all of your advice and just read the Wikipedia synopsis on it. :laugh:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
KOTOR: I tried it a few months ago, really wanted to like it. Only game I've returned on Steam to date. I couldn't get over the controls... and I lost control of my character twice in 3 hours.

I wish I played it 15 years ago so I could have gotten over those things as I love Star Wars games. I couldn't do it in this day & age. With so many other games, and actual real life responsibilities curtailing my time for gaming, it wasn't worth it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hey, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it. I don't think anyone can find fault with your opinion or your experience.

Being a Star Wars fan is pretty much a must at this point to enjoy the game, I think that's pretty clear. I played it a couple of years ago, with mods you can improve aspects of the game, and still enjoyed it, but I think nostalgia obviously played a part.

At the time, there wasn't a lot of Star Wars material out there (at least not like today), and much of it was derivative of the original series (same characters etc.).

Here we had an entire universe where force users were not rare, where the Sith and the Jedi were major powers with major influence on galactic politics and were involved in major wars.

It was an intriguing setting involving some new planets, new races and new characters but with a soundtrack and a feel that was very much in keeping with the Star Wars style.

So you kind of felt like you were in your own Star Wars movie, and unlike the Dark Forces games which were mission-based shooters, there was a lot more latitude to at least pretend that you were making Jedi or Sith type decisions.

KOTOR 1 was a tight, relatively bug-free and traditional Star Wars experience which I thoroughly enjoyed - you either liked or hated Bastila, I liked her. Jolee Bindo, the crazy grey Jedi. The mysterious Darth Revan.

KOTOR 2 was an ambitiously dark twist on the Star Wars universe where the Force itself is regarded as the enemy by one of the antagonists. All of the party members had dark pasts and mysterious back stories which due to development issues, were never properly fleshed out. Which is a shame, because there hasn't really been a character like Kreia before or since. G0t0, the crime lord who is just following his programming.

Alas, it can be hard to follow the story because chunks were never implemented and realistically, a story-based synopsis will do a better job of explaining it. One of the characters, Mical, is only available if you have a female protagonist (or use a mod), and he actually provides a lot of the exposition about the conspiracy. If you don't have him in your party, you miss out on some of that. Meanwhile, if you have a male protagonist, you get a different follower (Brianna) and more backstory on a secondary antagonist which is also sort of crucial. So while the story as a whole is a compelling one, the game fails in telling it effectively.

From a development and gaming evolution standpoint, you can see how the Mass Effect trilogy had its origins in games like KOTOR, KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire.

It maintained the ship as the base hub, two followers of a larger group, moral choices in conversations system that was emblematic of the earlier games. The player had a choice of sorts in the order of planets to visit - giving the illusion of player-oriented progression and some replayability.

The Dragon Age trilogy also borrowed a lot of these elements.

So while the actual mechanics may be clunky, the style of game turned out to be a very successful one, thus KOTOR has a well-deserved place in the museum of gaming, if not on people's actual download lists in 2018.

I played through 6 of the 8 storylines of The Old Republic MMO which take place in the same universe and are actually very well fleshed out. Unfortunately, it's still an MMO so the combat is RNG clickfests so not all that different.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The main appeal of KotOR when it came out was that it essentially was a Star Wars Baldur's Gate with 3D graphics.

That's what I remember getting excited about.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's not that I don't like dice rolls in combat but like you said, KOTOR isn't even a good example of it. I'd rather have an old school turn based system like the original Final Fantasy games. I feel like the only reason to make the combat be real time was to be cinematic or something but then they also force you to pause a lot, it didn't really make much sense from a design standpoint for me.

Judging by the posts about KOTOR 2, maybe I'll follow mine and all of your advice and just read the Wikipedia synopsis on it. :laugh:

Don't!

@WarriorOfGandhi has a link to a written playthrough. It is one of the most riveting Star Wars read ever.

EDIT: how does one tag a poster again?

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Star Wars Bounty Hunter (2002) - 7ish/10

Played on GC but also available as a PS2 classic.

How the dickens has no one remade a Bounty Hunter game? It's a perfect setting and a perfect character for games. You just need some minor tweaks. First, stop putting a 5 second limit on jet pack flying, that's the core of the game. The second is to fix the ridiculously bad aiming system. The right stick is inverted and that can't be changed for example and the lock-on targeting system is really weird. If not for the clunky controls, this would have been probably one of the best games on 6th gen. The setting, characters, acting, worlds you visit, etc are all really good. The platforming is pretty fun as well if not for the awful controls.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Going through some of the steam backlog this summer.

Contrast - 5/10
I really wanted to like this game more. The 2D-3D platform shifting mechanic is pretty cool, but the puzzles needed to be bigger and more challenging. The had me starting to get interested in the characters, but in the end it didn't go anywhere. And while the aesthetic they were going for is good, the world itself is very dull and empty. Wasted potential imo.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 9/10

I've been meaning to play this game for a while. it was on sale on Steam for like $6.50, so I figured I would buy it. It's basically everything I ever wanted in a classic Castlevania game. I beat it on normal mode in just under 3 hours. Working my way through nightmare mode now to get the true ending, then I'll probably do a Zangetsu only run. I haven't even been playing games over the last 6 months or so, but this game has me hooked (at least for now). Definitely worth the $6.50. Looking forward to the main game in that series next.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Finally beat Into The Breach on Hard Mode (all 4 islands)-- It's actually not as much of a spike in difficulty as it is going from Easy to Normal. Quickly turning into one of my favorite games.

Also, more Celeste addiction-- Can beat it in under fifty minutes now.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10/10

I think it’s easily the best game I’ve ever played. I normally get bored with open world games but I never did with this one. The story was too good.

Gone Home - 7/10

It was nice to play a short one after Red Dead. Nothing spectacular here but a nice story overall.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Resident Evil 7 - 9/10

What an awesome game. I'm not much of a Resident Evil fan, this is actually only the second Resident Evil game I've beat and the first one was Resident Evil: Dead Aim, a light gun game for the PS2. I was mainly interested in this one since it was 1st person. It controlled great but I wish they gave me a higher FOV option. Even at the highest setting, I felt like it wasn't enough.

The graphics, sound, and controls are all great. There's not much to complain about there. The character models are great with the exception of some funky hair on the women in the game, but that's pretty much always a problem in any game. The map design was awesome and I loved exploring the house, finding secrets, backtracking when I get new keys, etc.

I had a couple funny bugs, mostly in boss battles and mostly in the Marguerite boss battle where she'd hide somewhere and then just pop up in the middle of the room in front of my face. They were very minimal and never game breaking. Speaking of, the boss battles were really fun. The animations and cutscenes within them were great and I'm surprised they coded some of the animations in to make everything seemless. I had a friend watch me play the whole game who beat it multiple times and he even saw a couple animations for the first time during my playthrough.

Spoilers:

The story was awesome and I went from thinking this family is f***ed up to feeling empathy when you talk to a sane Jack Baker in a vision. I didn't have an issue with the story but a bit with the pacing. You leave the house about 2/3 of the way through the game and explore a tanker and then mine. That part of the game felt like it was just kind of thrown in there. If they had added more to the house and just left the game around the house, I think it would have felt a lot better. Also, the last boss battle was just kind of dumb. It was really easy, just shoot at the boss' face, which takes up an entire wall in the room, until it dies. I was expecting something a bit more involved than that.

Overall, it was a great game. I'm not a Resident Evil fan, not really a horror fan in general, but I had a blast playing through this game. I'm glad I picked it up. I definitely recommend it.

Resident Evil 7 DLC:

Resident Evil 7 - Not a Hero - 7/10

This was the free DLC where you play as Chris Redfield. This is based after the base game while you make sure to clear the contamination on the Baker property. You feel incredibly overpowered with a shotgun that is deadly accurate and one shots pretty much anything other than the boss and mini-bosses. The story is interesting enough, there's really no puzzles, and it's just all action. Towards the end, you get to a room where they just send wave after wave of zombie at you, that part just felt boring to be honest. The boss battle at the end is OK, you get a ton of ammo so you just keep blasting away, it's not challenging but it's better still better than the final boss of the base game.

Resident Evil 7 - End of Zoe - 8/10

End of Zoe is that perfect mix of serious and ridiculous to make the game fun. You play as Joe Baker, Jack's brother, and you're trying to save Zoe. Your only weapons are your own fists and the occassional hunting spear you use on gators. It's not nearly as scary as the base game and since it's all about melee combat, you can just kind of rush through it and not worry much about monsters popping up on you. Having boxing matches is actually really fun and you even unlock a power glove for the last boss fight. The story is pretty well done and while being kind of a silly spin off, still wraps up Zoe's story line from the base game very well. It's only about 1-1.5 hours long but I'm definitely glad I gave this DLC a go.

Resident Evil 7 - Banned Footage Vol 1 - 3/10

There is 3 mini games in this DLC. Nightmare is pretty much just a survival mode where you collect scrap and fight off zombies. This is strictly about combat and gets pretty repetitive quickly. I couldn't be bothered to try it more than once. Bedroom is the next mini game, it's a pretty cool escape room. It's something you'll literally play once until you beat it and never again. Eathan Must Die is just ridiculous, it's just overly difficult for the sake of being difficult. Overall, this is probably the weakest DLC for the game and don't think it's worth the money.

Resident Evil 7 - Banned Footage Vol 2 - 6/10

Just like Vol 1, this has 3 mini games. Daughters is a prologue to the main story and answers some questions. There's not much combat, it's pretty much all story based and builds off the base game pretty well. This should probably just be a tape within the base game itself but it's at least pretty well done and adds to the story. 21 Is an elaborate game of blackjack that has gruesome penalties like the Saw movies. The rules are kind of neat, there's no duplicates in the deck so you know what your chances of drawing a good/bad card are and there are bonus cards that have special abilities. The main problem is the animations are rather repetitive and take forever. It was fun to play through the first time but I have no desire to play again. Jack's 55th Birthday is the final mini game here. It's a pretty light hearted game mode where you have to explore sections of the house to bring Jack food until you fill him up. It's really just a timer to see how fast you can bring him food until he's full, it's pretty fun but I didn't end up playing more than just a couple stages. Banned Footage Vol 2 is definitely better than 1 but it's still not really worth full asking price IMO.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Human: Fall Flat - 8/10

Quirky physics based puzzle game with kind of crazy controls. It's even more fun in co-op and just the fun things you can do with other players. The game was definitely a ton of fun and if you want something light hearted with some unique physics based puzzles, give Human: Fall Flat a go. Bonus points that it's a ton of fun to play with friends but I think even without friends, it'd still be fun as a pure puzzle game.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
We Were Here - 7.5/10

We Were Here is a fun 2 player co-op puzzle game where one person sees the puzzles and the other sees solutions. You have to communicate with each other through a walkie talkie (or whatever outside voip service you prefer) to solve the puzzles to see where the explorer has to go. I played with a friend and I was the librarian while he was the explorer. He described the rooms to me and I was able to fairly quickly at least see where the solution would be. Most puzzles unlocked a door for the librarian giving you a sense of direction. The puzzles were pretty fun to go through, they were never so confusing that we had no idea what to do and just ran in circles or anything but still offered a bit of a challenge. The game is rather short, we finished it in 1.5 hours but it's free so I'm not complaining about game length. Having this free definitely made us buy the sequel and we'll be giving that game a go soon enough.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Bayonetta 2 [Switch Version] - 8/10

After playing and loving the original Bayonetta, I knew I had to play Bayonetta 2. Playing the original on PC and then the sequel on Switch made me feel like I went backwards. I'm just starting with the fact that the game is so fast paced, limiting the frame rate makes it rather difficult. There were faster moments in the game where I couldn't even tell what was going on. Obviously a limitation of the system it's on but a complaint about the game nevertheless. It's really more of the same as far as gameplay goes compared to the original, not that I'm complaining since Platinum makes some incredible games. The combat is incredible and I loved it all the way through. My only other complaint other than hardware limitations is there are some underwater levels that in typical video game fashion, were incredibly frustrating. It was really hard to fight enemies in a 3D space underwater. Overall though, still an awesome game. I'll definitely get Bayonetta 3.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Little Nightmares - 4/10

I wanted to like this game, I went into it excited to finally give it a playthrough, but I realized the game falls short big time. Starting with the only real positive, the world and visuals are all stunning. The theme is refreshing and not seen in many platformers. That is why I was drawn in after all, the trailer did a great job at drawing me in but the game didn't do much else after that.

The gameplay is just really janky. Running across a pipe is difficult and tedious, you can easily fall off because the controls are so bad. A narrow platform can be parallel to the camera, you just hold right or left, and you could still fall off. While the theme is interesting, it's not very scary. If you get grabbed by one of the monsters, the screen just goes black without showing you what actually happens. Basically the scariest thing is getting caught and that's all you get to see. If they had added some gruesome deaths, it could have made things a bit more interesting from a horror stand point but they seemed to make being caught as bland as possible.

The game is also really not a puzzle/platformer at all. It's pretty much just strictly a 3D platformer with a bad camera. The most "puzzle" aspect of the game is pretty much, "Here's a locked door, find a key to unlock it," then you proceed to do some platformer to get the key and return it to the door. That's it. The game is really just a cinematic 3D platformer and it's pretty bad at platforming. The game can be beat rather easily in 3-4 hours without much thought at all too. Just ignore this game and play something else.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Fallout 3 (PS3, 2008)

Fallout 3 is one of the first AAA games I played in the 7th generation. I got my PS3 in mid-2008 and played this a year and a bit later. I had Call of Duty 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV at launch and BioShock was in there at some point too, but in terms of the games from the first two or three years of the console nothing really matched this in terms of scale. I hated it. I had never played an RPG that didn't involve Pokémon and I had no idea what to do. I finished the main story and thought the entire premise was catastrophically dumb.

Fortunately, multiple years later I realise it's not actually that difficult to figure out what to do in games and here I am now, with the Game of the Year edition completed and the last of the PS3 games I wanted to finish out of the way. Since it's 2019 you probably know the deal with Fallout games by now. Set in a post-nuclear apocalypse Washington D.C. two hundred and something years in the future, you explore the world and do stuff in it. Compared to my first experience with the game, I can say now that the main story quest isn't really that important, in that it's not hugely different in terms of length or gameplay compared to other quests. Like any good open world game Fallout 3 has to be what the player makes of it, with each experience being unique to them and the way they approached the things they faced.

With that in mind, the most important part of the game would be the open world you're in. It's huge. Since there are no vehicles it really feels huge in a way other sandboxes from the time don't, since if you don't use fast travel it will take a long time and probably several random enemy encounters to get anywhere. Plus, you'll probably find somewhere else to explore before you make it to your destination. There's no denying the levels of care and attention that went into so much of the world, because there is detail along with the volume. The half-ruined subway stations are all pretty similar but the things you'll find in them aren't, and each of the hundreds of named locations have things in them for you to discover. Although I was primarily focused on finishing the game, and although I usually approach sandboxes with as many guides as possible holding my hand, I found myself getting sucked in to locations and random characters more than once, wanting to explore for its own sake.

Despite the size of the world and all of this detail though, part of me still finds it a bit... stale. I'm a big fan of post-apocalypse scenarios and dystopias because I like seeing how society reacts to a drastic change. What I've described before should be right up my street then, but there's something about the Capital Wasteland which doesn't draw me in the way other games have. The simplest way I would describe it is that the game's like a museum. I can go in, I can look at endless things and think it's all very nice, but there's no personal or emotional connection to anything. None of the characters are particularly engaging. I don't know if that's a writing or a presentation problem, but none of the quests amounted to more than objective completion for me. (This is a lie and I'll come to one particular case later.) Occasionally I'd find a computer terminal with logs from someone charting their own personal deterioration or that of society and it would make me think of what happened to make the world like this, but they were rare and brief.

I think part of my reaction to the world is the colour of it. I'm pretty sure every colour in the game is contained in that screenshot. No matter, the gameplay is surely what makes a game worth playing. Fallout's V.A.T.S. system (does the S in VATS stand for system)? lets you stop time and target specific parts of an enemy's body during combat. You then get to see the effects in slow motion, usually in my case featuring their head fly off and disintegrate. This, after 70 hours and hundreds of enemies killed, does not get boring. Big fan. The only weapons you ever need are ones with bullets, because this is what happens. You'll need to use V.A.T.S. too, because if you try and target manually or deal with more than one enemy at once you'll probably get ruined, and have to constantly flick between shooting them and bringing up your menu to use health items. The survivalist element of the game rings a bit hollow in situations like these, because it's hard to get into what's ostensibly a clunky and overmatched firefight when you can pause several times and hope your stimpaks or disgusting scavenged food don't run out.

A problem I had with Fallout 3 all those years ago was equipment deterioration. I had never played a game where you had to repair your weapons before. Now, I realise there's enough assault rifles and combat shotguns throughout the world that you never really have a problem. I know if you play on PC you can use mods that make the game harder in terms of resources but I think making weapons and aid and armour harder to come by would put me off the game completely. You can have four or five different weapons with different ammo types on the go at any one time, rotating them when one breaks or you run out of ammo. There isn't really much else to say of the gameplay, other than going into most situations all guns blazing is your best option. Stealth doesn't seem to be a viable option no matter how high your stats are, which is a shame. Although there are lots of different enemies you'll approach most of them in the same way.

Playing the Game of the Year edition I got to experience all five DLC stories, which I will cover briefly in ascending order of enjoyment:

Point Lookout: You are transported to a southern-gothic inspired swamp attached to a ruined seaside town. The place is infested with ghouls and a cult that eat something called Punga Fruit which makes you act like you swallow ten LSD tabs a day. There's very little connection to anything in the main game.

Mothership Zeta: You are transported to an alien craft and have to escape. You discover the aliens were experimenting and creating alien-human hybrids with considerably less success than in The X-Files. None of the enemies speak, and there's very little characterisation.

Broken Steel: You no longer die at the end of the main story. You get to finish off one of the main in-game factions for good, although due to the brevity of the main quest and the non-linear approach you can take to the game you may not feel strongly about either of them. I didn't, but the Enclave were bigger dicks to me, so they got bombed.

Operation: Anchorage: A training simulator set in the past as communist China invades Alaska and you have to save them. Standard stuff gameplay-wise, but has considerable relation to the main game so feels more worthwhile.

The Pitt: You are transported to a steelworks in Pittsburgh, where people are enslaved. As you fight to liberate them you discover why they're enslaved, and ultimately get to decide whether or not to free them.

The Pitt was the most profound part of the game for me. So much so that after choosing to side with the slaves the first time I changed my mind halfway through, and continued to check on the progress of the outcome several times afterwards. One of the things I think was missing for me in a game like this was meaningful consequence to your actions (especially in a game with a karma system with little rewards for being good), so to finally have it at some point was a welcome surprise. There was even a slight gameplay shift in the episode as I used melee weapons for the first time, which were much more satisfying than I was expecting.

Sadly, moments like that are rare. There are some Vaults in the game you can discover and explore that are seriously weird and make you realise why so much of the world you're in is so f***ed up but for the most part I can't really get away from the museum comparison. It's all very nice, it's all very detailed and you can spend hours going round trying to look at everything, but very little of it sticks with me.

I will tell you what does stick with me though. Bugs. Doing some research on the game beforehand I think some of my reticence towards getting immersed in the world stemmed from the nagging sense that if I explored too much of it my save file would get too big and I wouldn't be able explore anymore. If it was an isolated game in 2008 with this sort of scale I'd understand and realise why, but my god, this mob kept making games like this? And they're as popular as they are? What the f*** is wrong with you people? Why have you enabled this broken bullshit? I love frame rates that drop to about 0.3 fps when there's too much stuff on the screen, because everything that I've done up until that point is still there and has to be remembered. Great system. No, really. I think I had fewer bugs than a lot of people but the threat of them really stopped me getting into the game at times when I could feel myself slipping away, and that's a shame.

One last complaint before I sum up, I can't avoid this one. The main story. Your dad, before you were born, was working on a machine that would purify water in large quantities. Partly with his help you get it to a state where it can be repaired, great. Except to turn it on you have to expose yourself to a massive quantity of radiation and die. But! Just before this end sequence you may have made friends with a super mutant. Super mutants are immune to radiation. Healed by it in fact. So you can just send him in to press the button, right? Nope. And even if you get some other human lackey to go in and press the button, the game still ends. I know there are Fallout fans on here, why does an open world game have an end? Why does it end after finishing the main story, not letting you carry on exploring afterwards? It's not like anything else in the game has a bearing on what you do.

So, to sum up. A huge, detailed and very brown world which is very well created but not particularly immersive, partly because I spend the whole time thinking my PS3 is going to explode. A consistently satisfying central gameplay mechanic which you need to rely on because enemy encounters in real time are practically unsurvivable. Additional DLC episodes which are either the same or different, occasionally adding something when they're the same and feeling completely pointless when they aren't. I suppose I'm glad I got to finish it and feel some sense of personal growth after nine years, but I won't be remembering it as fondly as I know a lot of people do.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Into the Breach - 8.5/10

Into the Breach is a tactics game where you control a squad of mechs to defend the world from giant insects. Each mech has a different ability that you can power up and equip different weapons on. You only start with one squad but it feels incredibly powerful. I haven't played all of them yet, I only played a few, but the starting squad is definitely my favorite of the bunch that I've tried. Each level is on a 8x8 grid, you get to pick where your mechs begin, and then the enemy starts their moves. The main focus each turn isn't necessarily to kill as many enemies as possible but to defend as much as possible. I say that because you can push enemies out of their position, defending buildings that act as your total health in game. Enemies can attack each other, block spawn points for more enemies, or fall off the world/into water/into lava to their death by pushing them, adding a fun mechanic that could help you but also hurt you if you push them into objects you need to defend.

Each mission has its own objectives such as defending a power plant, defending tanks that you can also control, killing X amount of enemies, destroying a dam, etc. On top of that, some maps even have different environmental effects which are a lot of fun. The environmental effects include bombing runs from friendly planes, exploding volcanoes, tidal waves taking out the shore, etc. You get to see where everything is happening before you make your move, you can actually push enemies into these environmental effects to kill them for you rather than dealing enough damage yourself for them to die. Enemies become progressively more difficult as you progress through the game, obviously, but you are able to go on the final mission after the second island of four. The difficulty of the final mission scales so the only reason to complete 3 or all 4 islands is strictly for a high score.

Everything in the game works great, you have infinite time to decide your turn to figure out how to be as efficient as possible to defend your objectives and kill as many enemies as possible. My main problem is the final mission. There are two stages to the final stage. The first is simply to survive for 4 or 5 turns. It's obviously difficult, being the final mission, but I didn't have much issue with that. The second part of the stage is where my issue lies. You have to defend a bomb for 4 turns until it explodes to exterminate the alien insect invasion. The problem is that you enter a new map and don't get to pick where your mechs spawn. The insects all spawn and make their movements and I've gone into the final mission with a full power grid but got bad RNG for where my mechs spawn relative to the power cells and insects. The game itself is great but getting to that final mission and feeling like the game is determined before you even get control is incredibly frustrating. I still think it's a solid game for the price but that made me go from "this game is a must have, game of the year canditate" to "this game is great but the end game is incredibly frustrating."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad