The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Celeste - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
(Revisited after getting good enough to beat the main story in 1.5 hours, collecting the strawberries/hearts (couldn't find them all w/o looking up the locations of some though), and completing the B-Sides but not the C-Sides)

This is going to sound a little crazy, but.... This is now one of my favorite games, period. It's a perfect speed-run game and is one of the tightest platformers I've ever played. Right there with the all time classics.

In addition to how I initially felt about it immediately after completing the main story, the beauty of the experience after that is that:
  1. the more I played it, the faster I could get through it with limited deaths, and the more exhilarating and rewarding it became,
  2. the side content is exactly what side content should be-- inventive, exhilarating, and equally well designed but uncompromising, hardcore, fully fleshed out expansion on the possibilities of the mechanics.
  3. the more I focused on the above after completing the main game, the less story there was to be distracted by, which, while solid and clever in its own right, isn't as strong as the gameplay, and would otherwise be the only place where flaws creep up in this game (according to what I like anyways).

My breakdown would be this: The deceptive minimalism/simplicity of concept, feel/controls, level design, pacing/difficulty curve, sprite-work, music, side content and easter eggs are all 10/10. The story is 7 or 8/10 and character portraits/between-game-artwork is 6/10.

Favorite games w/ 5.0 ratings:
1. Super Metroid
2. Earthbound
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
5. Inside
6. Celeste
7. Tetris
8. Super Mario Bros. 3

Last edited:

member 157595

(Revisited after getting good enough to beat the main story in 1.5 hours, collecting the strawberries/hearts (couldn't find them all w/o looking up the locations of some though), and completing the B-Sides but not the C-Sides)

This is going to sound a little crazy, but.... This is now one of my favorite games, period. It's a perfect speed-run game and is one of the tightest platformers I've ever played. Right there with the all time classics.

In addition to how I initially felt about it immediately after completing the main story, the beauty of the experience after that is that:
  1. the more I played it, the faster I could get through it with limited deaths, and the more exhilarating and rewarding it became,
  2. the side content is exactly what side content should be-- inventive, exhilarating, and equally well designed but uncompromising, hardcore, fully fleshed out expansion on the possibilities of the mechanics.
  3. the more I focused on the above after completing the main game, the less story there was to be distracted by, which, while solid and clever in its own right, isn't as strong as the gameplay, and would otherwise be the only place where flaws creep up in this game (according to what I like anyways).

My breakdown would be this: The deceptive minimalism/simplicity of concept, feel/controls, level design, pacing/difficulty curve, sprite-work, music, side content and easter eggs are all 10/10. The story is 7 or 8/10 and character portraits/between-game-artwork is 6/10.

Favorite games w/ 5.0 ratings:
1. Super Metroid
2. Earthbound
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
5. Inside
6. Tetris
7. Celeste
8. Super Mario Bros. 3

Damn you have good taste in games. :laugh:

Super Metroid, in my mind, is the greatest platformer of all time.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Celeste was amazing, some of the hearts were beyond cryptic though, two of them specifically I actually had to swallow my pride and use a guide.

The Soundtrack is also fantastic.

Some of the yellow-strawberry levels are beyond difficult, don't know how I managed lol.

I also found the C-Side to be easier than B-Side, largely due to level length.

Playing this game made me wish that Mario Odyssey had a B-side/C-side mechanic to it, even if it was DLC i'd be happy to play it. I really miss punishingly hard levels in games with super tight controls.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Celeste was amazing, some of the hearts were beyond cryptic though, two of them specifically I actually had to swallow my pride and use a guide.

The Soundtrack is also fantastic.

Some of the yellow-strawberry levels are beyond difficult, don't know how I managed lol.

I also found the C-Side to be easier than B-Side, largely due to level length.

Playing this game made me wish that Mario Odyssey had a B-side/C-side mechanic to it, even if it was DLC i'd be happy to play it. I really miss punishingly hard levels in games with super tight controls.
It's a structured kind of cryptic, though-- I liked that about it. The strawberries/tapes are all cleverly placed and intuitive if you're paying attention (it's great at rewarding you for noticing little things in the layout that look out of place), and the hearts are like total mysteries meant to tease/puzzle you and seem out of reach. And the way to get them are pretty rewarding and interesting (loved the SMB3 block one). I think that's good design.

I'll need to try C-Sides/Yellow Strawberries.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Persona 5 - 10/10

This game took me so long to beat...I think I got it last year and have slowly been beating it. These past few weeks I finally dedicated enough time to beat it, and I can confidently say it's the best single player game I've ever played.

Possibly my favourite part of the game is the music, I honestly don't think there was a single song where I thought to myself "I hope I beat this part soon so I stop hearing this song." In fact, quite a few songs are now in my playlists.
On top of that, the world felt pretty alive. By the end of the game it actually felt like I was leaving friends behind, because of how well you get to know most of the characters.

The combat wasn't anything too special imo, it wasn't bad by any means, and I did like the all out attacks. Some of the bosses were quite tricky, but they all felt extremely rewarding to beat (most of them took me a few tries to beat).

I wouldn't recommend this game to everybody, it does feel pretty "anime", but if you like those type of games then definitely give this a play. A masterpiece.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Finished off the Bioshock Collection

Bioshock Infinite 9.5/10 - Close in score to the original, but Columbia just can't match Rapture for the creepy feel

Burial at Sea pt 1 - 8/10 - A return to rapture with Booker and Elizabeth

Burial at Sea pt 2 - 8.5/10 Ties up loose ends and further connects the stories of Rapture and Columbia

Now I am ready for a new entry......wishful thinking probably

Reactions: Nickmo82

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Finished off the Bioshock Collection

Now I am ready for a new entry......wishful thinking probably

Last year's Prey shares DNA with BioShock because both were conceived as spiritual successors to System Shock 2, so you might look into Prey. Also, a System Shock 3 has been in development for a few years and is probably a few years away. Those two games are probably the closest that we'll get to a new BioShock game any time soon. Edit: There's also a System Shock (1) remake that I forgot to mention.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The System Shock 2 remake that was in the works got shelved earlier this year, sadly.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Last year's Prey shares DNA with BioShock because both were conceived as spiritual successors to System Shock 2, so you might look into Prey. Also, a System Shock 3 has been in development for a few years and is probably a few years away. Those two games are probably the closest that we'll get to a new BioShock game any time soon. Edit: There's also a System Shock (1) remake that I forgot to mention.

Yeah I have played Prey and found it to be quite enjoyable also, I have not played either System Shock games might give them a try at some point

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I have played Prey and found it to be quite enjoyable also, I have not played either System Shock games might give them a try at some point

FYI, they're not on console, so you'll have to play them on PC, though both are so old that they could run on any PC. If you try out System Shock, you'll absolutely want the Enhanced Edition from 2015, but be warned that even that can be hard to get into because it's so dated. System Shock 2 is a lot easier to play nowadays, especially with the updates that the Steam and GOG versions come with. There's not really any need to have played the first game (in fact, it can be a benefit because you'll be more surprised by the twist), since your character and location are entirely different. If BioShock is possibly your favorite game ever, you should do yourself a favor and play SS2 before it gets too dated, since it's very similar in storytelling and atmosphere (ex. both games have you alone in a chilling environment with your only company being radio messages from someone helping you to reach him/her).

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
FYI, they're not on console, so you'll have to play them on PC, though both are so old that they could run on any PC. If you try out System Shock, you'll absolutely want the Enhanced Edition from 2015, but be warned that even that can be hard to get into because it's so dated. System Shock 2 is a lot easier to play nowadays, especially with the updates that the Steam and GOG versions come with. There's not really any need to have played the first game (in fact, it can be a benefit because you'll be more surprised by the twist), since your character and location are entirely different. If BioShock is possibly your favorite game ever, you should do yourself a favor and play SS2 before it gets too dated, since it's very similar in storytelling and atmosphere (ex. both games have you alone in a chilling environment with your only company being radio messages from someone helping you to reach him/her).

The PC only thing is a bummer, I never got into the PC gaming. Guess I'll have to make do with the giant backlog of games I already have sitting on the shelf

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Wolfenstein 2 - The New Colossus. I think maybe a 7.5? Im not sure if I enjoyed it as much as The New Order or not. I didnt find the story as engaging. It was a soild shooter though.

Part of the issue might have been that I was playing it immediately after TNO, so I was getting a bit burnt out by the end of it. I did like some of the mechanical changes though, and the lack of the stupid laser for cutting holes in stuff.

Some of the story stuff annoyed me.

Bringing Grace on board the sub and she just assumes command? A random person with no military background or any indication she can command? And she knows exactly what to do with the nukes and where to strike the Nazi base? Her giving William commands was weird

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
XCOM 2 - 9/10

It's been a while since I played the last XCOM but from what I remember it felt like more of the same, not that that's a bad thing. I suffered from similar graphical bugs that got pretty annoying but that was really the only problem I had with the game. Still an awesome series. It took me about 30 hours to beat the story, had a lot of fun all the way through. Highly recommended.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Finally finished Pillars of Eternity with all the expansions. Normally I never made it through ACT3 because I always got distracted by other games. The game is good but looong in the end I just had a max level party with maxed out gear and just auto attacked my way to the final fight. I completed all the quests/ side-quests and killed of all the nasty dragons. You definitely get your monies worth with this game but you need time to play it.
9/10 a great RPG.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Dark Souls Remastered - 6/10

This one is less a review and more a commentary on my eperience.

I actually had a decent time with it because of some knowledge I had going in which I'll list in order of how much it helped

1. How strength multiplies by 1.5 when 2 handing a weapon (giving 13 free levels at 27 strength)

2. Where havels secret armory is

3. How to navigate the invisible walkways in the crystal caves by watching the snowflakes land.

4.How to get the ring of favor and protection (its almost impossible to miss, but I was aware and so I feel I should list it) and Havels Ring

I didn't know where the Ring of Steel protection was, but if I did that would be #3 just because of how much damage it reduces. I switched out Havels ring for it most of the final stretch.

Other things I knew but didnt use: You can parry and riposte Gwyn and enchanted weapons stop skeletons from respawning.

The main thing I like about this game is how different it is from the other Souls games. Fat rolling is extremely viable in DS1 for PVE. In fact, its probably the best play style once you get the Stone Giant or Havels Armor (unfortunately in an extremely secret area) and the Ring of Steel Protection. Damage decreases drastically with high defence, whereas From implemented dimishing returns in future games. In DS1 You can literally stand in one spot and trade heavy attacks with any boss (except Bed of Chaos of course). Almost all of them are staggerable after one of two hits with a heavy weapon R2 (I used dragon tooth for the second half and Zweihander for the first), absolutely no skill required. You can even trade with Gwyn, you'll poise through at least 2 of his attacks.

I beat the game with 45 vitality, 28 endurance, 27 strength and full Havel (I did use the Stone Giant set against the 4 Kings to run faster though) at level 75 in 10 hours. I think it might have even been my first full playthrough. I quit at one of the lord souls last time I believe.

The Zweihander is a great early game weapon, You can stagger Capra Demon and Tauras Demon with only one R2 attack, basically stunlocking them.

Anyways, Imo, DS3 is the best by a country mile but I still had a decent time with 1. DS3 cut down on mobs drastically, streamlined upgrading, and added fast travel. I just like the speed of gameplay and overall accessibility so much more.

Edit: Also I wanted to add, I decided not to parry Gwyn because its basically a meme that Gwyn is a ridiculously easy final boss because he has a very wide parry window. I feel its really disingenious to call him an easy boss because of a somewhat obscure mechanic that you basically need a guide to know (almost no other bosses in the game can be parried). Even though I beat him on my first try after I committed to not parrying him, the damage he does and the total lack of recovery time he gives makes me believe hes no pushover. Anybody that didn't stack 400 defense (basically only taking fire damage from him) would have had a brutal time imo.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yakuza 0 - 8.5/10

My first go in the Yakuza series and I was quite impressed, great storyline, great characters who really draw you in, twists, turns, double crosses, and a whole lot of butt kicking, some nice light humor worked in as well. Highly reccommended.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I finished Prey, great game from start to finish. I love Arkane's style of game, they give you so many choices for each encounter. I want to Gloo gun in the next Dishonored.

Reactions: mmalady

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Assassin's Creed: Origins (6.5 out of 10)
  • The main character's back story did nothing for me, knew that from moment one. Kind of felt like he and his crew were idiots
  • I enjoy the assassiny parts - sneaking around, climbing things, jumping off things and assassinations
  • On the last note, felt more like a delusional, brainwashed mass murderer than normal in these games
  • Game looks good and for some reason I found myself integrating a mount more often than in lots of games
  • I was mostly bad at fighting. Just came from Nioh and I felt like I was playing a frozen turnip in most fights
  • The boss fights were stupidly gimmicky and all around terrible
  • They deserve kudos for the discovery mode
  • First expansion was ok
  • Second expansion was fairly good

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yoku's Island Express - 7/10

Yoku's Island Express is a rare pinball adventure game. You play as a beetle who drags your marble around and have to work with other cute members of the world to wake up a sleeping giant. There's not much story, it's basically go bring back the three chiefs to perform the ritual, perform a task for each chief to return them to the sleeping giant and that's the game. The game is very casual, has a cute aesthetic, and a nice soundtrack. It's a nice change in pace, there aren't many of these pinball adventure games for sure, it even has a bit of a Metroidvania spin on it. It was pretty neat, the game was well done and if you like pinball games or are even in the mood, it's worth a playthrough for sure.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin
Dark Souls 3 + all DLC

i'd give em both a 10/10. really enjoyed them.

Dark Souls is pretty much my favorite series ...so they are pretty much all 10/10 for me ...or close enough to just say the hell with it and give a 10.

i may have enjoyed Dark Souls 2 SOFS the most tho. i really liked some of the things they did with the series in that game ...like bonfire ascetics, two hand weapon power stancing, shade summons (small summon signs), branches of yore, pharros lockstones. it had a lot of cool stuff that i kinda missed in part 3.

edit: another cool thing i really liked in DS2, was the few gloves/bracers that would add stuff like extra poison damage, or extra bleed dmg ...or extra critical hit dmg. loved that you could really stack up the poison dmg, etc.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad